PDA

View Full Version : Quit my job for the love of my hair

Forever_Sophie
January 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I posted initially when I went in for the interview (at a daycare) and saw the "2 cases of head lice" sign....and got fantastic, much appreciated advice here. The manager said they can't return 'til they're clear, and I made peace w/ everything and was grateful for the work.

Then yesterday, it's barely 2 months later, we find 7 cases of lice! I'm honestly disgusted. Horrified as I was, I went back in today (w/ my resignation letter) and was repulsed even more when I realized that every infested student (AND TEACHER) was back! :mad: I learned that it's a perpetual problem there.

Everyone (w/ their pixie cuts :rolleyes:) thinks I'm an idiot for this decision. One said, "If you get it, just comb them out!" OMG! I just posted last week that my hair's down to my waist at last (victory! lol). They - more than the other centre where I worked - want you always to be hugging, lifting, kissing the kids, which sounded awfully sweet, but...yeah. The kids feel welcome to run up to you from behind w/ hugs (i.e. when you're sitting on the ground w/ another child), hair brushing against yours...and also feel welcome, when playing dress up, to put their hats or whatever on YOUR head from behind/unexpectedly.

My 1st center welcomed me back, thankfully. I'm totally "good riddance" about this last place, but feel sick about the whole situation...I worked so hard even though I was lied to about the pay, they gossiped incessantly about me, and now to hear they're "disappointed" in me...I can just cry! Not gonna, but can :cool:

lora410
January 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Good riddance indeed. It sounds like the daycare was not much for health standards. I knwo my kid caught EVERYTHING at daycare. Imperigo, flu, etc etc

MountainGypsy
January 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry to hear that, but at least you are back in more comfortable environment. I don't think I could have stayed in the other place either. I have never had lice (knocking on wood) and would be paranoid if I worked there!

Forever_Sophie
January 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
It definitely isn't in the classiest part of town, quite the opposite, in fact...

Forever_Sophie
January 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry to hear that, but at least you are back in more comfortable environment. I don't think I could have stayed in the other place either. I have never had lice (knocking on wood) and would be paranoid if I worked there!
Exactly! Same here. Everyone there is all, "There's always lice." Like saying, "There's always water." Riiiight :eek:

xkitxgirx
January 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Ew, I hate lice. I had lice multiple time when I was a kid. One time I got it and my dad chopped all my hair off. I bawled my eyes out. Not to mention he cut it himself and it was uneven, lol. I got made fun of. It would figure that the girl sitting next to me in class was the one who brought it to the school. Sorry, I went off on a story that is a little off topic. I think I would have resigned too. I do not ever want to have head lice again. BUT I did get it one more time after that time and we had heard Mayo helps. It does! We covered my head in mayo and syran wrap for 4-5 hours then use a lice comb and they all came out very easily, it killed most of them as well. AND the mayo was like a conditioning treatment. But I have to say Im glad I'll be homeschooling when I have kids because I dont want to have to deal with them getting lice from other kids at school like I did.

Xandergrammy
January 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I don't blame you for leaving. It doesn't seem that they are very concerned with keeping the outbreaks at bay. I had lice when I was 12 years old and am terrified at the thought of getting them again.

spidermom
January 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Oh my; if I had to keep a job like that, I'd definitely tie up my hair with a scarf every day and keep it covered. One of my foster daughters had a bad case of lice, and we couldn't get rid of it for months. We did everything and more, but it kept coming back. The nasty little buggers are resistant to a lot of what is on the market to control them, and combing out the nits is no guarantee either (I spent hours doing this); there can always be a couple of them left.

Dez
January 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
despite the lice outbreaks, it doesn't seem like there was much to keep you there anyway. So like you said.. good riddance! Let them keep their gossip and lying and lice!

heidi w.
January 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Have you considered filing any complaints with any authorities, such as a daycare (assuming a daycare?) licensing board with the state, Better Business Bureau, and telephoning anonymously about an ongoing lice problem with the health board?

If it's an official public school, I am fairly certain there are mandates about how these things are to be managed.

And the problem with pay only amplifies the problems -- and is further evidence of unprofessional conduct, and following any regulations from higher authorities than even the owner's/principals office.

hmmm.

You can opt to complain anonymously...waiting a month or so to lodge it so the correlation won't seem overly obvious.

heidi w.

Forever_Sophie
January 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Have you considered filing any complaints with any authorities, such as a daycare (assuming a daycare?) licensing board with the state, Better Business Bureau, and telephoning anonymously about an ongoing lice problem with the health board?

If it's an official public school, I am fairly certain there are mandates about how these things are to be managed.

And the problem with pay only amplifies the problems -- and is further evidence of unprofessional conduct, and following any regulations from higher authorities than even the owner's/principals office.

hmmm.

You can opt to complain anonymously...waiting a month or so to lodge it so the correlation won't seem overly obvious.

heidi w.

Thanks plenty for this, Heidi! Now that you mention is, it IS unionized. It's been on my mind to contact the Health Unit. I'll look into the BBB. Thanks again!

Edit: Since I'm already a "disappointment," I have nothing to lose by reporting them now.

jera
January 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
It's sad to learn that headlice epidemics still exist. You made the right decision. You can't put a price on good hygiene. It can lead to much more serious illnesses.
:(

Forever_Sophie
January 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
It's sad to learn that headlice epidemics still exist. You made the right decision. You can't put a price on good hygiene. It can lead to much more serious illnesses.
:(

Thanks for the reassurance, I lost so much sleep over this choice. I had the same thoughts about this occurring in this day and age (I feel 80 LOL), b/c really, if everyone who got them made sure they were 100% clear, lice should be extinct.

SHW
January 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Oh yuck. Good for you!!

I wouldn't be able to sleep just thinking about it.

catfish
January 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Kuddos to you, really.

I agree that this is more of a health issue and you should in no way feel shame for leaving a place that is sub-standard in health precautions. Untreated infestations can lead to infections and that can be dangerous. Plus it's Ewwwie.

You are not being a wus or a snob for not wanting to work with bugs, your being smart.;)

HildeMV
January 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I don't think it was a bad decision.

Constant fear of lice, and also getting it must suck.

atlantaz3
January 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I can still remember a girl from 1st or 2nd grade. She had the longest hair in the glass - beautiful glossy black curls down to her waist. She got lice and came back to school with about an inch of hair. I would have quit also!

Forever_Sophie
January 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I can still remember a girl from 1st or 2nd grade. She had the longest hair in the glass - beautiful glossy black curls down to her waist. She got lice and came back to school with about an inch of hair. I would have quit also!
Yikes! It's so scary, esp. when you think, getting them out of your hair is one thing, but then dealing w/ the car, bedding, furniture, etc. Seemingless endless!

dearladydisdain
January 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Eugghh. I don't blame you. I've had lice before - it is SUCH a pain to get rid of. They really should take more precautions :|

Coriander
January 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I say good for you for realizing what is right for you and what is not. :)

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
i agree with your decision 100%

Spike
January 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Wow.

No, under the circumstances, quitting was a reasonable choice. Lice are bad enough, but there's so much ELSE I'd rather not share, too. (colds, flu, cold sores, rashes . . .)

Forever_Sophie
January 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Wow.

No, under the circumstances, quitting was a reasonable choice. Lice are bad enough, but there's so much ELSE I'd rather not share, too. (colds, flu, cold sores, rashes . . .)

Oh yes, last month I had my 1st ever stomach flu. Maybe I'm lucky in that I hadn't had one before, but oy vey, it's awful. At least in a day it was better, but the thought of lice and killing all + nits *shudder*

I think working at the vet's would be safer LOL

LadyEliza
January 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you made the right choice - you were lucky to have another job to go to though!

Forever_Sophie
January 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you made the right choice - you were lucky to have another job to go to though!
Very! That's definitely what made it a somewhat hard choice, b/c I know jobs are hard to come by and at any rate, I'm just a supply/on call teacher now, but the worry and possible consequence of headlice wasn't worth the paycheck. Even retail is starting to sound better (never thought I'd say that!).

Scrofula
January 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I think there must be a huge difference in the perception of headlice between USA and UK, they are considered a minor inconvenience by all my parenting peers and our national health service website has these things to say.

"Head lice are transferred by close hair-to-hair contact. They cannot jump, fly or swim, but walk from one hair to another. It is a misconception that head lice infestation is as a result of dirty hair and poor hygiene. Head lice can be found in all hair types, long or short, and in hair of any condition."
"There is no need to wash clothing, or bedding, if they have come into contact with head lice. This is because head lice quickly die without a host to provide warmth and food."

In any case, I'm sorry your previous job wasn't working out. Hope all is well in your new place

Forever_Sophie
January 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I think there must be a huge difference in the perception of headlice between USA and UK, they are considered a minor inconvenience by all my parenting peers and our national health service website has these things to say.

"Head lice are transferred by close hair-to-hair contact. They cannot jump, fly or swim, but walk from one hair to another. It is a misconception that head lice infestation is as a result of dirty hair and poor hygiene. Head lice can be found in all hair types, long or short, and in hair of any condition."
"There is no need to wash clothing, or bedding, if they have come into contact with head lice. This is because head lice quickly die without a host to provide warmth and food."

In any case, I'm sorry your previous job wasn't working out. Hope all is well in your new place

Thanks! I definitely had head to head contact (hugs, playing on the floor, etc), and we agree they look for clean heads ;) I agree w/ all, except I read they die in 2 days, so if that's true, the bedding/kids' winter hats, etc. would get used in that span of time...Plus I'm just "ew" about bugs generally LOL

Scrofula
January 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'm ewww about moths, which is entirely irrational your bug issue is practically normal! Good luck with the supply teaching

Hairtada
January 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Oh! Ick. Lice would creep me out long hair or not.

A'eorryn
January 31st, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hey good for you!! I myself have actually been FIRED (or FORCED to quit, you know how they do so you can't get unemployment or hold them accountable) for the love of my hair - because of hair rules which weren't specified at the time of hire that I thought were outrageous and so refused to follow. NOBODY tells me what to do with my hair - it's the one thing about the way my body looks that I have control over, and that is VERY important to me. Heck, my hair has been a point of contention for over 10 years, but I will never give in! :p

~A'eorryn

noelgirl
January 31st, 2009, 05:16 AM
Sounds to me like you made the right decision. Not just because of the lice - the lying about pay, the gossiping . . . it sounds like it would have been an altogether unpleasant place to work.

RavennaNight
January 31st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Good riddance to a crappy work! Lice and drama to boot!

Forever_Sophie
January 31st, 2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks sooo much everyone! Not sure why but since last night (I was fine the whole wk!) I've been feeling anxious about this. NO REGRETS, don't get me wrong, and there's nothing I can do/worth worrying about, but just...all the bullying I guess. Like, when 1 lady told another I'm leaving, lady #2 asks, why, I say lice, & she's like, "Oh, I thought it was for another reason." Refused to say what she thought it was. They know they're wrong - guilt, much??? ugh.

practikalmagik
January 31st, 2009, 09:34 AM

I agree, reading through here I did find myself thinking "...they're just nits!" They like clean hair more then dirty in fact so poor hygiene doesn't enter into it. Just get out some good old conditioner and smotherit on then comb. *nods*

Saying that bugs don't bother me much.

Sucks about the job though, they sounded pretty rubbish tbh so it's good that you got taken back. Fingers crossed it'll work out fine!

angelthadiva
January 31st, 2009, 10:30 AM

<snip>BOLD MINE

According to headlice.org (http://www.headlice.org/faq/questions.htm) They can live up to 24 hours; and that is not quick enough for me!

Thank you for sharing this! :flower:I'm not sure if it's a UK/USA thing or people are just not educated. I think THAT is more the case.

I'd also like to point out that I had never had lice in my life (knock on wood), and have had varied lengths of long locks all my life. I used to teach, and I taught preschool, but I never got it from there.

I'm currently at Classic length+. I ended up getting it twice last year from DD, who has waist length hair. We are very clean people, and I'm quite fanatical about our hair care (trust me)...Every time I detected them in DD's hair; we would report it to the school AND THAT'S WHEN THEY DISCOVERED THE OUTBREAK. Once I would report it, they would do scalp checks and there would be a classmate who had a more advanced outbreak than DD...I knew the inside scoop because DH is faculty.

That said, children who are in daycare through about 4-5 grade are in very close contact. Think about it, they sit close together; often times they are seated in groups of 4-6. When dinosaurs roamed the earth, we sat in rows and had room between us. Also, their belongings (hats and coats) are often hung on hooks right next to each other. Usually around 6th grade, they are in middle school and have a locker which prevents some close contact with other people's belongings...I think that's why there is a decrease in infestations.

I also want to point out that it's not the school's fault, so I don't know how reporting them would help. If they are following all the guidelines, that's about all they can do. Often times you will have one family who is either not treating properly or thoroughly; so a week to 10 days later, you are going through the same stuff again.

I also wanted to point out that it can be quite expensive to get rid of them...All the washing and drying of clothes and bedding alone made our electric bill soar over $100 for a month. You have to wash everything everyday in hot water and dry w/hot, high heat--OR dry clean, and who can afford that?! OR bag everything up, smash all the air out and leave sit for 2 weeks. The lack of oxygen suffocates them.

I'd also like to point out that lice are gaining a resistance to the box remedies. When we were battling our lice woes last year; I didn't know that! I had DH run to the store and get RID just like everyone else (so I thought). I didn't know this stuff was a toxic pesticide that could cause blindness, seizures or even DEATH! Ohmigod, if I had known that, I wouldn't have put it in my daughter's hair in the first place. I followed the instruction TO THE LETTER, and they didn't die. So with the help of some lovely longhairs here and doing some research on the internet, I witched up a potion that worked and is not toxic. Here is the tread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=539) and info

The bottom line, is that people need to educate themselves, and going by what some people have said--You'd think we'd be more educated than Joe Q. Public.

Forever_Sophie
January 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for that, Angelthadiva. Also http://www.fractalfairy.com/lice/index.html has a LOT of great info, inc. pics & videos to know what to look for.

She includes info about all the stuff that they're resistant to, which is surprising and disturbing.

Re: reporting them, from my experience, kids in school were not allowed to come back 'til they're clear, and this place said in the interview they had the same policy. Not true... As well, the next day, they didn't even have the warning sign up for parents to be aware (many kids come every other day), and when they did, they listed a # much lower than it was.

practikalmagik Please don't get me wrong, I know they like clean hair! Not sure if I worded it that way in here before, if I said they can't return 'til clean - I meant clean of lice, clear of them.

angelthadiva
January 31st, 2009, 10:56 AM
You are welcome!

Re: reporting them, from my experience, kids in school were not allowed to come back 'til they're clear, and this place said in the interview they had the same policy. Not true... As well, the next day, they didn't even have the warning sign up for parents to be aware (many kids come every other day), and when they did, they listed a # much lower than it was.

Unfortunately "all clear" means NO live nits...At least in THESE parts...To ME, "all clear" SHOULD mean not even a dandruff flake, but that's just me and I don't make policy! :D

Well, (and thank you for taking the time to clarify), if they are documenting a lower number of students than what is actually attending, that is a completely different issue. They are attempting to commit fraud of some kind...If they are not waring other parents of an outbreak, that is negligent. In these cases, for these reasons, they should be reported.

Beakywitch
January 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM
My daughter caught lice a few months ago. I combed out her hair and straight away after I did mine and found one adult louse. There never where any more so I must have caught it before any eggs were laid or it was a boy. I also had them when I was 15 and was very distessed about it, it was horrible. These days I'm not so worried about them, I'm way more worried about the worms which is another infestation easily caught from kids!!

If your hair is that important to you then you have made the right decision for you.

As for the bullying, I'd say just hold your head up and don't let it bother you too much, people can be very odd and play all sorts of games and I think it often seems to come down to a bit of old fashioned jealousy.

Beaky

Forever_Sophie
January 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
My daughter caught lice a few months ago. I combed out her hair and straight away after I did mine and found one adult louse. There never where any more so I must have caught it before any eggs were laid or it was a boy. I also had them when I was 15 and was very distessed about it, it was horrible. These days I'm not so worried about them, I'm way more worried about the worms which is another infestation easily caught from kids!!

If your hair is that important to you then you have made the right decision for you.

As for the bullying, I'd say just hold your head up and don't let it bother you too much, people can be very odd and play all sorts of games and I think it often seems to come down to a bit of old fashioned jealousy.

Beaky

Awww, thanks. Also thanks for the info about worms! 1 kid had it, I didn't know how contagious it is :eek: Gonna do some research now!

And welcome! :)

Autumnberry
January 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
There was a lice thread started a couple of months ago with some valuable non-toxic treatment options. I can't find it, but I recall that henna was one of several natural and EFFECTIVE treatments mentioned. The author should really turn their work into an LHC reference article under the "hair care" section which folks could easily find when they need it. After all, when lice happens it must be treated immediately, and it's tough searching through the threads when one is under that time pressure.