PDA

View Full Version : Meh!!

ColoradoDreamer
March 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I had a hair comment this morning from a student in my first period class:

"Miss! [they never seem to remember our names; we are all "Miss"; wonder what they call the men teachers?) Did you have a fight with the hair dryer this morning?!"

Well, I washed my hair this morning and put coconut oil and aloe in it and let it air dry. My coconut oil was mushy from being left out of the fridge, so I think I got too much when I scraped up a little. I tried to put as little as possible on my hair and massage the rest into my hands. It's also really humid outside, and my hair is wurly beyond belief.

I just glared at the little booger and said nothing.

Meh!

SHELIAANN1969
March 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well what a little stinker, maybe he can stay after class and be teachers "helper" muahhhhhhhhhh

Poolsoflaughter
March 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, sometimes they're just looking for a reaction, so as a cool French lady recently told me to do to people like that, use the "talk to the hand" technique!

Lixie
March 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Don't they call male teachers "Sir"?

Anyway, I agree he was probably hoping for a reaction. What a wee brat, I'm sure your hair looked perfectly fine.

Miss Murphy
March 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Oh my, how rude! How old was the little brat?

LisaButz2001
March 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Now, see, I must be a bit different. I recently started teaching and if a child said something like that I'd probably be hard pressed not to laugh. An adult or teenager now-they should be respectful, but little children typically aren't malicious.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I heard a comment by an employee of a ladies clothing store the other day ask a coworker what was going on on top of her head!!! (meaning her hair). It looked fine and I told the other girl so after she got away from her coworker! Now THIS came from an adult! Good grief! I tihnk I would have found some reason to give that kid a note to take home! :rolleyes:

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM

"Miss! [they never seem to remember our names; we are all "Miss"; wonder what they call the men teachers?) Did you have a fight with the hair dryer this morning?!"

!

Remember the good old days when kids actually had to be POLITE to adults??!!

manderly
March 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Don't they call male teachers "Sir"?

Anyway, I agree he was probably hoping for a reaction. What a wee brat, I'm sure your hair looked perfectly fine.

Nope...it's "Mister". I work in a college, and I'm forever shocked at the mental ages of these COLLEGE kids. MEH is right.

ColoradoDreamer
March 28th, 2008, 09:16 PM
The "little brat" is a sarcastic "little" 15-year-old male!

I suppose I should be more offended than I am over it, but I learned a long time ago to take things those kids say with a big grain of salt.

And about the "Miss" thing . . . if I mix up their names (it does happen; I have about 170 students), they are highly offended. But they only have at most 8 teachers to get to know. And they call us "Miss."

Oh, I do have one kid in another class who has taken to calling me "Teach." I respond by calling him "Stude" (for student).

First thing in the morning, though, I'm clarifying and doing a good SMT. Meh!

rubyann
March 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Sheeesh. Brat is right. I probably would have shot back a "and what happened to your manners, did they get lost on the way to school today?" or just given him the look and said "Excuse me?" in that tone of voice. I do the "excuse me" bit with my own kid when she says something rude or otherwise uses bad manners with me.

Kids nowadays don't have a clue as to proper behavior, as it's not being modeled at home for them. That's one of my personal pet peeves.

I'm sure your hair looked fine. Kids are just so.....you know what I mean.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Sheeesh. Brat is right. I probably would have shot back a "and what happened to your manners, did they get lost on the way to school today?" or just given him the look and said "Excuse me?" in that tone of voice. I do the "excuse me" bit with my own kid when she says something rude or otherwise uses bad manners with me.

Kids nowadays don't have a clue as to proper behavior, as it's not being modeled at home for them. That's one of my personal pet peeves.

I'm sure your hair looked fine. Kids are just so.....you know what I mean.

I have to do the excuse me bit with my niece, it is CRAZY what she picks up at her daycare.

Meh!

Meh is right.
I think I would have said something back, but in a very polite manner, I think it would have shot him down two ways:
A) he wouldn't get the type of attention he obviously wants
and
B) it would show how immature he is, comparatively.

And I bet your hair looked great and he was just being a little... unpleasant person.

It is still surprising to me, after 2 and a half years of college, to see the way some college students behave.
I went to a public high school, and wow, the kids there were bloody ridiculous.
I took a lot of honors and AP classes, so I bet I didn't get the half of it.
Then, when I came to college, I started off in the honors classes, and then, when there weren't really any more for me to take, I had to start taking regular classes.
I am starting to see why they called my old high school the "east" campus for the college, and why they call the college the "west ___ high school."

Sorry for thread derailment!

And sorry for the comment you got. :(

<3

Masara
March 29th, 2008, 02:21 AM
This is just NOT acceptable. My reply to a comment like that would have been, raised eyebrow followed by "excuse me, do I comment on your personal appearance?" then back to the lesson. Fast.
Last year I did have a hair dryer acident. My alarm didn't go off and I dried my hair by turning it upside down and using a hair dryer on it (it wasn't quite at shoulder length at the time) The result would have taxed even the politest pupil, so I had to put it up. It was the first time I had worn my hair up in class. They all started, they all pointed (from the corridor) Only one class dared actually say anything.

Here in France all the teachers are "madame" male teachers are "monsieur". I have to remind them that in English class they can't call me "mrs" (and live) On the other hand I'm pretty used to being called "monsieur" "maman" (mum) and even once "mamie" (grandma)

shrimp
March 29th, 2008, 04:18 AM
(total hijack! - In my experience in England - after primary school where it's usually Mr so and so or Mrs/Miss so and so - all teachers are referred to as 'Miss' or 'Sir' as a sign of respect, unless a specific school or teacher states that that isn't to be the case. So for example, when I was 18 and helping out on a school trip for my dad I was called Miss by the kids, and they really struggled with remembering to call me by my first name when I asked them too - end total hijack!)

Lamb
March 29th, 2008, 07:23 AM
What cheek! I don't want to sound too much like the old spinster I am, but if I had had the cheek to say something as impertinent as this, I would have been kicked out from the classroom. Pupils have no right to be so familiar in the classroom.

nastasska
March 29th, 2008, 07:33 AM
There's always one:patrol:

funnybunny668
March 29th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think that lots of kids are not taught respect these days. I hear so many stories that, like Lamb said, would have gotten some of us removed from the classroom in our day. It's sad to see the state to which we are headed.