PDA

View Full Version : Went off cones and dyed my hair

Almandine
January 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I've done new things with my hair, so... I'm doing a hair update thing.

I took the advice of an older thread I made asking for advice, and switched to no-cone shampoo and conditioner. I was wary at first and wanted to go back to my Garnier (which is living under the sink just in case I need it) but it seems to be okay. My hair's soft, I think it might be softer than before but I'll need a few days to really tell. I'm still using the same anti-frizz serum as before though, because I have yet to find anything that works as well as that :/

Also, I dyed it. Pink. I've done this two or three times in the past and, true to form, it didn't affect my hair's softness or anything else, really. I'm very fond of the dye I use, which is designed for dark hair, especially because it actually shows up (I refuse to bleach). My plan this time was to dye pink, and put SFX Wildflower over it, so that I could get purple without bleaching. However, to my (pleasant and also not pleasant) surprise, two boxes of the dye no longer cover all of my hair. So the dye is more spread out and therefore not as bright as I wanted, and not bright enough to give the Wildflower the pop it's going to need. So I'm waiting a week or so (I did it last week) and then I will redye the pink so it'll be ready for Wildflower. I'm pretty excited that I will be able to do a colour other than pink, because although it's been my standard hair dye for years, I like to change it up.

Back to product: the only issue I have with the cone free shampoo/conditioner is the SMELL. It smelled okay in the store but it stinks like strawberry cough drops when I use it, and it makes me choke. I hate to waste things but I don't know if I can actually use it for much longer. I'll probably have to seek out a different kind. It's Suave Naturals Strawberry, ack. Scent warning, big time. I also picked up Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship on a whim, because I wanted to see if it would improve anything. My ends did seem happier after I applied it, it's some kind of leave-in cream. Finally, I wanted to oil, but I couldn't get the jar open >.< so I couldn't. But I have been trying to get into some kind of schedule so that I won't forget.

Sadly I just snapped one of my plastic hair sticks right in two (I need better ones) but they came from Target and I have another, so I'll make do. I like the wooden ones better anyway, but they're real chopsticks so they're ridiculously long and I poke people in the eyes a lot.

A while ago I was asked for pictures, and so I present to you, before and after hair.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s239/zippoberry/Hair1.jpg

The room was too dark not to use flash, and I was too close for the flash not to make me look faceless. The hair was the focus anyway, so I don't mind, except I look like a creepy mouthless monster. Anyway, that's my hair before dying.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s239/zippoberry/Pink.jpg

And that's it now! I just took that. It needs to be more of a vivid pink like the way it was the previous times, but I'm still enjoying it before I fix it. Once again, scary mouthless monster.

spidermom
January 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Wow - that's an eye-popping color. I'd like to see it when you get the color you want.

Tressie
January 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Wow! Your hair is really beautiful and long.......pink or no pink! (o:

princess_ashton
January 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Which brand is it that you use to go over dark hair? I also want pink but am loathe to dye.

Girltron
January 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Interesting pink! I'm not 100% sure there's a point to eliminating 'cones from your S&C if you're putting on a 'cone serum, though. It winds up to be just the same I'm quite sure.

Peter
January 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
That looks great! I'm interested in what brand you use to get bright colors to show up on dark hair. Although I'm not sure if it would work on black hair like mine? I've been playing around with the idea of a bright pink or purple streak. :D

plainjanegirl
January 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Interesting pink! I'm not 100% sure there's a point to eliminating 'cones from your S&C if you're putting on a 'cone serum, though. It winds up to be just the same I'm quite sure.

I was thinking the same thing. I know that H.E. leave in has cones and the serum probably does too. If your hair liked the Garnier then I wouldn't see why you should stop it. By the way your hair looks really thick and great!!

Almandine
January 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I use L'Oreal Colour Rays in the Fuschia Flash colour. It's designed for dark hair, though lighthairs can use it too of course, and black hair is included as part of their target. The woman on the front of the box has black hair. It's usually used for streaking, but two boxes used to cover my hair altogether - you can do allover dyes with it, I have many times.

I am trying different s/c because I have horrible, hideous quantities of frizz and some dryness which I was told were probably products of my products, heh. When I let my hair down, five times out of ten the waves are ruined by a ton of frizz. It's quite embarrassing actually, it looks horrible. So I'm experimenting.

Roseate
January 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not 100% sure there's a point to eliminating 'cones from your S&C if you're putting on a 'cone serum, though. It winds up to be just the same I'm quite sure.

I think it's probably good anyway, if she was having cone-related issues: cones in only one product is going to take a lot longer to build up than cones in all three.

Schmoomunitions
January 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Oh my gosh your hair is soooooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!! Im jealous!!!!

Copasetic
January 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I LOVE the colour!! Your hair looks great.

CrystalStar
January 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I can't see the picture (I think I might need 25 posts :p) but I'm sure it looks amazing!

When I hit college the next year I'm most likely dying my hair pink..heehee I gotta ask, what's peoples reactions in general?

HildeMV
January 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't see any pictures.

Almandine
January 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys :) It's nice to be appreciated, I've gotten so much negative flack for having long hair before I came here.

@ Crystal, Hilde: I think it's because you need 25 posts, yeah. I changed them to use photobucket links rather than the LHC album links. It might not help, I dunno how the board works for sure.

CrystalStar: I cannot actually recall ANY negative comments in all the 3, 4 (I forget how many, I've done it a fair few) times I have dyed it pink. I get a lot of compliments on the colour, though - people say it suits me, and talk about how pretty it is. I've gotten disapproving glares from stern-looking elderly women and uptight nest mother types, but that's expected. I did my first two times in high school; the first dye, no repercussions. The second dye, a substitute teacher sent me to the office, where two principals and all the aides proceeded to tell me how much they adored the colour before sending me back to class unpunished. And that was at a school which had a no-coloured-dye policy... I think it was just red enough for them to overlook. I was VERY amused.

I dyed this time about six hours before attending a 3 day rally. Everyone there was crazy about the results. I had people playing with it and adoring it (oh, huuuuge ego boost). Some guy ran up and said "Oh my gosh, your hair looks like beautiful red yarn! Can I please touch?!" I was pretty pleased.

I say go for it! And take pictures!

HildeMV
January 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
It works now. Wow that is vibrant and awesome.

Almandine
January 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Thank you :3

Fillette
January 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
:agape: Wow what an amazing and vibrant color!!! My jaw litterally dropped... I absolutely love it!

Almandine
January 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you so much, Fillette! And I'll say it again, just to emphasize... to anyone who wants to try Colour Rays. I have never had drying or hair loss from this dye, nor any residue after the first wash, and I am always pleased with the condition of my hair. It's soft and just like it was before, just pink now. A++ on the dye.

~GypsyCurls~
January 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
It looks great! If I ever get the chance to dye my hair purple again, I will steal your technique :D

Isilme
January 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Oh, that looks so nice! WOW! But it does contain peroxide and/or ammonia right? It has to have some kind if ingredient that makes it show up on dark hair too.

Almandine
January 30th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Isilme: Yes, it does. But when the dye fades out I don't really notice any change from my real colour. I think the second time I did it, some golden-red streaks were left, but they weren't too far from my real hair colour and looked natural, so I didn't mind. Better than having big pale chunks from bleach.

Myrrh
January 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I love it!

nessthing
January 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Oh wow. That's great color deposit! And you didn't even have to bleach.

big pale chunks
*big pale chunk*