PDA

View Full Version : What are the best foods to eat for hair growth?

Nutty
January 27th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Hi,

Has anyone ever found that certain food makes their hair grow faster/stronger?

DragonLady
January 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Gelatin is the only one I know of; and it takes about three months to notice a difference. A teaspoonful everyday in some bullion or sprinkled on yogurt will eventually make your hair thicker and stronger. I don't really know if the length will grow any faster, though.

Rimi
January 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Cut out sugars, breads and junky stuff and my hair took off.

Heidi_234
January 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Drinking ginkgo biloba supposedly improves blood flow, to the scalp too, so it said to help hair growth. I saw on the net green tea can help hair loss in certain cases.
I read somewhere on the boards that kelp is good for hair growth, I think some people here take daily doses or so. In any case, before trying foods and drinks you unsure of, make sure to find recommended daily doses and other cautions, or consult with somebody who knows about that.

LHGypsyRose
January 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I read that all nuts, seeds and fruits are good for growth (it works for me), and as someone said..cutting out sugar and also caffeine may help.

Xandergrammy
January 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
My hair seemed to start growing again when I went on a high protein/low fat diet.

HairColoredHair
January 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Taking vitamins helps my hair growth, but you have to consider... I don't eat a very balanced diet to begin with.

Personally I think a well-balanced diet (with sufficient protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, etc) is the best to help hair growth.

Shelly_girl
January 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have read that zinc increases your hair growth, so much so that if you get a painfully short hair cut you should take vitamins with a high content of zinc in them to really increase your growth rate. I know cheerios have a high percentage of zinc, and they are just plain good for you!

plainjanegirl
January 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Gelatin is the only one I know of; and it takes about three months to notice a difference. A teaspoonful everyday in some bullion or sprinkled on yogurt will eventually make your hair thicker and stronger. I don't really know if the length will grow any faster, though.

So you just sprinkle some jello powder in yogurt or what not? Hey if that would make my hair stronger and thicker I would try it. Jello packets are cheap and I don't like the taste of jiggly jello.

DragonLady
January 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
So you just sprinkle some jello powder in yogurt or what not? Hey if that would make my hair stronger and thicker I would try it. Jello packets are cheap and I don't like the taste of jiggly jello.

Yes. I buy the unflavored gelatin, and three times a week I brew a cup of bullion and add a teaspoon of gelatin powder. I've noticed a huge difference in the strenght and thickness of many of my individual strands. But, it does take a while for the changes to be apparent.

Here's a study done to obtain a patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4749684.html They were administering huge amounts for the patent study, but a single teaspoon will give you noticable results.

DragonLady
January 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I just checked, and apparently the 8-gram dosage they were using of powdered gelatin is roughly equal to two teaspoons. I might double my dosage. :)

Sissy
January 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
My recommendations for hair growth/healthy hair are:

Omega Fatty Acids (Fish Oils, nuts)
Cucumbers = Silica
multi-vitamin, biotin supplement
protein (meat or whey protein shakes)
ruffage (veg) in general I think is very good
lots of H2O

loves2spin
The gelatin makes sense. My mother always used the Knox unflavored gelatin. She would mix 1 packet a day in her morning orange juice and it made a huge difference in the health of her fingernails. Obviously, you would see the results after a long time, as the "old" hair grows out, but it will speed up the growth, probably, and you would see that. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Radulfr
Researchers have proven that an all-cheese diet works wonders for speeding up long-hair growth. :cheese:

I wish I could find the link. ;)

xkitxgirx
January 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
My recommendations for hair growth/healthy hair are:

Omega Fatty Acids (Fish Oils, nuts)
Cucumbers = Silica
multi-vitamin, biotin supplement
protein (meat or whey protein shakes)
ruffage (veg) in general I think is very good
lots of H2O

No wonder my hair is so healthy. I always wondered because I never used to do much to keep it healthy or make it grow faster or anything. But I have the biggest obsession with cucumbers, lol. I eat them all the time. If I could afford it, I'd eat 3 a day! Plus I take fish-oil(to prevent alzhiemers(sp??) and a multivitamin. I did notice after I started taking Fish oil my hair seemed to get shinier. It worked for my dog Maya as well, lol.

beatrixn
January 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know about making it grow faster, but my hair sheds much less when I stick to a junk-free diet: water, no sugar, no dairy other than plain yogurt, lots of fresh vegetables and low sugar fruits (berries, green apples, etc.), and lots of protein like eggs, chicken and lean beef/bison. It's boring as all get out, but it does help. The only thing I know of to make existing hair grow faster is biotin, I take a hair multivitamin w/ 6000 mcgs of biotin (I was having thinning issues, I don't think most people probably need quite that much) and my hair does seem to be growing quicker.

jera
January 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Lean ground beef and eggs for protein. Swiss chard is loaded with natural biotin. And I use rosemary for seasoning in recipes. ;)

drquartz1970
January 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I use a daily dose of a Biotin tablet, kelp and brewers yeast a few times a week and eat more natural unprocessed foods like vegies, fruits and plenty of fish. Used to be a real junk food addict but quit 5 months ago. Since then I do believe that the hair growth rate has improved slightly with the hair looking more shiny. My growth rate has gone from about a 1cm a month to 1.5cm since ditching the bad habits. I do still like my daily fix of 2 strong brews of rocket fuel (aka coffee) every day.

jissy
January 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
be careful of eating to many cheerios as the arginine in them will promote fever blisters if you are prone to them.

plainjanegirl
January 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM
alot of good info in this thread. I really need to eat better for my hair. I am a junk food junkie.

Norwegian_Metal
January 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Yea i like to think that eating a healthy balanced diet is probably THE most important thing to healthy hair. I take omega oils, eat coconut oil, lots of nuts, fruits, veggies, and a good dosage of protein also. I also take a multivitamin. Plus it all has the side effect of actually giving you good health lol ( a good motivator for some to eat healthier maybe; healthy hair!).

Moiraine
January 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Eat Peanut Butter. I have had a habit of eating peanut butter toast everyday for breakfast (too lazy to bother more and I'm not a big breakfast eater) My hair feels very strong and it only sheds the normal amount everyday. I comb and brush it and use ordinary cone shampoo and conditioner (VO5 is very reasonable) and there is nothing on my scalp to scratch out. I'd say it is the peanut butter because although I know I have to do better along with the good things in my diet there is also junk and sugar which I could very well do without if I would only use some willpower! No one can make me give up the caffeine tho I drink about 1 pot a day and several teas as well.

ChloeDharma
January 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I started this thread a while back, mybe some information there will help.
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10286

Dez
January 28th, 2009, 01:16 AM
alot of good info in this thread. I really need to eat better for my hair. I am a junk food junkie.

I was just going to say that I think my hair is doomed to grow really slow then. LOL I too am a junk food junkie! I am taking vitamins though

LadyEliza
January 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, ok, maybe not. But it makes the time worth passing :)

jera
January 28th, 2009, 01:35 AM

For sure eating better whole foods, fresh veggies and fruits, and cutting out junk and excess sugars will help you because those things cause inflammation, and inflammation is a hair killer.

Remember, healthy beautiful hair is a reflection of good oveall health. :)

Nutty
January 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Wow - Thanks for all the info. I think I'm on the right tracks now - I've been eating as healthily as possible since the new year, tried my hardest to keep away from the straighteners! An have been oiling my hair too. It's definately feeling better, shinnier, I just need the growth to come now!!

KnightsLady
January 28th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Seaweed.

I've heard it suggested a couple of times by people I've known who've recovered from hairloss problems

Sissy
January 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
No wonder my hair is so healthy. I always wondered because I never used to do much to keep it healthy or make it grow faster or anything. But I have the biggest obsession with cucumbers, lol. I eat them all the time. If I could afford it, I'd eat 3 a day! Plus I take fish-oil(to prevent alzhiemers(sp??) and a multivitamin. I did notice after I started taking Fish oil my hair seemed to get shinier. It worked for my dog Maya as well, lol.

Hi there and welcome to LHC. Yes, cucumbers (and oats too) are fantastic sources of silica. The silica in cucumbers will help improve the complexion and health of skin. The high water content makes them naturally hydrating. Cucumbers will help hair prone to splitting or thinning.

squiggyflop
January 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
i havent read the other posts but

my hair seems to grow fastest on a high protein high dairy diet with absolutly no veggies.. but then again veggies make me sick so ofcourse my hair would grow slower when i eat them.. hair just doesnt grow fast when you are sick..

i got my fastest growth (more than 2 inches a month.. maybe even 3 inches) with this diet..

total cerial in the morning..
steak/chicken for lunch and dinner with some form of pasta or potatos..(plain pasta with no sauce)
one gallon of skim milk a day.. (yeah i used to drink a gallon a day..)
centrum knockoff vitamin..
natrol skin hair nails vitamin taken at bedtime..

anyway everyones body is different.. mine thrives when i eat lots of dairy and meat while other people have better health by cutting out meat and dairy.. its all about what foods make you feel good.. because a healthy body has hair that can grow at the maximum speed allowed by ones genes.. i found that adding vitamins was helpful but even without them my hair grows rather fast so long as i get alot of meat and dairy.. perhaps first you could find the diet that works for you and then just add vitamins to it..

oh but i also forgot to mention that my tastebuds are rather sensitive and so most junkfood tastes too strong for me.. like chocolate.. chocolate tastes really really strong and makes my face cringe when i eat it in candy form.. so yeah i dont really eat junkfood much (cookies, candy, chips, fastfood,etc..) i hear that its hard for some people to give up junkfood.. luckily i dont have that problem but it might be a place for you to start..

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
eatting alot of red meats helped my hair.. i was on this steak kick for a while and man my hair grew quick..

deer meat didn't really do any thing, i've been eatting it for the past month or so.. and haven't notice a change

A'eorryn
January 31st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Like most everyone else has said so far, protein is a great way to get better growth, but you can get it from plant sources like soy also (I'm an ovo-vegetarian so meat is not an option for me, though I will eat eggs and dairy so that helps too :)). Supplements for hair growth include biotin, zinc, B-complex, E, and C as well as omega fatty acids. For a topical treatment you could do scalp-massage with an oil/paste that includes ingredients such as:
avocado - rich and nourishing, easily absorbed by deep tissue, high in vitamins A, B1, B2, D, E, regenerates collagen
canola oil - source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and minerals
castor oil - rich in fatty acids
shea butter - nourishing, high in fatty acids, supports elasticity, repairs cellular degeneration
grapefruit - promotes hair growth
rosemary - promotes hair growth and stimulates the scalp
ylang ylang - promotes hair growth
horsetail - rich in organically-available silica
kelp - packed with easy-to-absorb proteins, vitamins, and minerals (contains vitamins A, C and E and the minerals zinc)
nettle - I can't remember why :p
yarrow - stimulates hair growth
yucca - stimulates hair growth
ginger - stimulating, but can be a sensitizer
cinnamon - stimulating, but can be a sensitizer
gotu kola - powerful rejuvenator, can increase collagen synthesis
amla - stimulates growth (and prevents loss :))

The ingredients that aren't explicitly specified as encouraging hair-growth are effective nonetheless due to their effect on the scalp (such as shea butter repairing cellular degeneration), which will in turn promote growth :)

~A'eorryn

ETA: also most of these have other hair benefits besides, though I won't go into what they all are, this post is information-intensive enough as it is ;)

krissyam
February 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
When I went high protein and cut out refined sugars (try stevia instead, it's great!) not only did I lose weight, but I highly increased my growth rate. The vitamin biotin is definitely number one for hair health and growth, so foods high in that should help speed it up. Healthy fats are also great (like those found in nuts or fish)- I've had a noticeable difference in the health and gloss level of my hair since adding those foods to my regular diet.

Deimos
February 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Wow, there is a lot of interesting information in this thread! Unfortunately I cannot try the fish or gelatin (being a vegetarian) but it is very interesting to see that the food we eat has such an influence on the hairgrowth. Yet another reason to eat even healthier!

SimplyLonghair
February 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, there is a lot of interesting information in this thread! Unfortunately I cannot try the fish or gelatin (being a vegetarian) but it is very interesting to see that the food we eat has such an influence on the hairgrowth. Yet another reason to eat even healthier!
I wonder if agar would work as well since it is made from seaweed and therefor full of iodine and other good things.:rolleyes: Just a thought.

RancheroTheBee
February 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
For me, it was definitely dairy and protein that got my hair to grow faster. I was a vegetarian briefly, but my body just seems to be happier with the stuff that my doctor dislikes.

Sunshine69
February 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I just saw another similar thread to this and I feel compelled to respond.

Since your body digests the proteins into amino acids before it can absorb them, so once inside your body's cells, there's no way to tell if the amino acids came from a plant or animal source. So even as a vegan, as long as you are eating complementary proteins over the course of your day, you should be fine (there is nothing special about the proteins from eggs, gelatin or any of the other foods suggested in this thread).

The body cannot store the extra amino acid that it doesn't use right away for maintainance and repair. Any amino acids that aren't used to make more proteins are just deaminated, the nitrogen is excreted in the urine, and the remaining carbon backbone is converted to either to fat or glucose. Eating lots of protein will not make your hair grow faster. Most Americans are eating at least twice as much protein as they actually need already. Normal healthy people need about 0.8 g of protein per kg of body weight per day. For a 150 pound woman, that would be about 55g of protein per day. One 4 oz serving of meat supplies about half of this daily requirement.

I don't mean to harp on this or offend anyone. There is just so much misinformation floating around, and a lot of it seems to make sense, but it just doesn't add up. If you eat enough calories, the protein takes care of itself.

LadyLongLocks
February 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Whole grain breads,whey protein shakes, nuts and seeds, yogurt , carrots, sweet potatoes.
I am a vegetarian now for 3 years and have not noticed any growth difference not eating meat.
I have not eaten red meat since 1996. I stopped eating chicken and seafood 3 yrs ago.
I also take ultra hair vitamins & flax seed oil capsules.
When I don't have ultra hair vitamins I take a pre-natal along with biotin.

EdG
February 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Since your body digests the proteins into amino acids before it can absorb them, so once inside your body's cells, there's no way to tell if the amino acids came from a plant or animal source. So even as a vegan, as long as you are eating complementary proteins over the course of your day, you should be fine (there is nothing special about the proteins from eggs, gelatin or any of the other foods suggested in this thread).Agreed. I've been a vegetarian for as long as I've had long hair. Any healthy diet will allow one to grow long hair. :)
Ed

Gothic Lolita
February 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Would it make sense to alter between certain supplements? I'm already taking a multi daily and every second day a vitamin B-complex, because the dosage would be to high otherwise.

I'm still a student and can't afford all the supplements I'd like to get, since I'm living with my family I mostly eat what they cook. It's healthy in general, but I'd like to add an extra boost sometimes.

So would it makes sense to, let's say, take the vitamin B-complex for one month, then for another one fish oil, then maybe silica? Or would it be better to get them always together, like, Day 1 complex, day 2, fish oil, day 3 silica?

And: They sell gelatin capsules in Germany as a supplement for better hair and nails? I don't know the dosage but would they be a good add to the regiment?

DragonLady
February 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
And: They sell gelatin capsules in Germany as a supplement for better hair and nails? I don't know the dosage but would they be a good add to the regiment?

I think so. Before I found LHC, I started taking gelatin by dissolving it in tea or broth. I made no other changes to my diet, but my hair and nails definitely started to grow stronger.

Sunshine69
February 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Would it make sense to alter between certain supplements? I'm already taking a multi daily and every second day a vitamin B-complex, because the dosage would be to high otherwise.

I'm still a student and can't afford all the supplements I'd like to get, since I'm living with my family I mostly eat what they cook. It's healthy in general, but I'd like to add an extra boost sometimes.

So would it makes sense to, let's say, take the vitamin B-complex for one month, then for another one fish oil, then maybe silica? Or would it be better to get them always together, like, Day 1 complex, day 2, fish oil, day 3 silica?

I think it's best to get your nutrients through food instead of supplements. You might not be doing any harm and just producing very expensive urine, but there is a potential for danger: multivitamin + B-complex + the natural and/or fortified vitamins from your food = possibility of consuming too much of a certain vitamin and resulting adverse health effects, especially neuropathy. I don't know about German, but many of our foods in the US are fortified with vitamins. Please be careful.

The idea that gelatin is good for hair and nails is a beauty myth that has been around for ages.

3azza
February 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I suggest following the food pyramid. There is no such a thing as the magical fruit that makes ur hair beautiful. Nutrition is more complicated than that and till now it is not an established science by itself like other sciences. Lots of research needs to be done to unlock the mysteries in our meals. Just include everything you can in your diet and enjoy your meals :)

DragonLady
February 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
The idea that gelatin is good for hair and nails is a beauty myth that has been around for ages.

Maybe. But someone was able to patent the process by proving the claim.

Hay22
February 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I agree with the posters who are suggesting you follow a healthy diet. Most nutritionists will tell you to consume lots of colorful, recently living things (fruits and vegetables!) to keep your insides healthy, and your hair/skin/nails will be a reflection of that.

That being said, I will admit to taking a daily prenatal along with biotin. =)

Sunshine69
February 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Maybe. But someone was able to patent the process by proving the claim.

I'm talking about consuming gelatin, not applying it externally.

sahiba
February 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Curry leaves and other such greens like spinach or cilantro , amla ,(and what I have and not apply) aloe vera juice for hair .
But basically like said earlier , anything healthy has to be good for hair :)

BranwenWolf
February 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'd rather eat what tastes good and is marginally nutritious and have a vitamin supplement, as opposed to eating weird stuff that I know I won't be able to gag down after a week.
You can get a vitamin that's meant to go with an average diet so that it contains marginal amounts of everything.

B vitamins are water soluble and there is a decreased chance of overdosing because they are secreted.
I'd say to reap the most out of a supplement you need to take the recommended dosage every day for at least a month, rather than switching off things.
I've taken two animal nutrition classes. It's almost easier to get the critters to have a good diet if you make it taste good.:cheese:

ChloeDharma
February 9th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I just found this article which gives lots of information on nutrition and diet....now if only i could think of a way of taking cider vinegar daily...
http://www.stophairlossnow.com/Vitamins.htm

Aditi
February 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I have heard that almonds are found to be good for hair, i eat 5 almonds everyday early in morning. I soak them overnight and then have them after peeling their skin off. It has certainely made my hair grow longer and improved the texture.

Kuchen
February 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Eggs. One egg = approx your RDA of biotin.

DragonLady
February 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm talking about consuming gelatin, not applying it externally.

So am I. I consume a teaspoonful every morning now.

Here are the patent claims: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4749684.html (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4749684.html)

Sunshine69
February 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
So am I. I consume a teaspoonful every morning now.

Here are the patent claims: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4749684.html (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4749684.html)

I've never heard of anyone citing a patent claim as evidence, but, I looked at the reference that is cited in the patent application:

"1. Scala et al. (Scala, J., Hollies, N. R. S. and Sucher, K. P., Effect of daily gelatin ingestion on human scalp hair, Nutr. Report Inter., 1976, 13: 579-592) have studied the effects produced by the administration of 14 grams daily of gelatin in man. After 62 days of treatment these authors did not notice any effect on the growth of hair; they could only note an improvement in the structural properties of hair."

I couldn't find that article when I did a search in the medical literature, but I have to wonder what those improvements might have been. I also searched the medical literature for any other journal article that suggested a connection between hair growth and supplementing with gelatin. Couldn't find any.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Lfg8AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=Scala,+J.,+Hollies,+N.+R.+S.+and+Sucher&source=bl&ots=GBFj62slQc&sig=9k6E8Ci98nYNPEX9LqXUztRMzJY&hl=en&ei=AHuQSYyRL53gsAOVk9CWCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA1,M1

The experiment that the patent holder did wasn't published and peer reviewed, but even if it is legitamate, is it really worth taking gelatin supplements (8 grams a day) to get 1 extra mm in 3 months of growth? at least gelatin is cheap, but does that seem worth it? for 1 mm more of growth in 3 months?

I believe that in normal healthy people, nutritional requirements should be met through actual food. Supplementing is expensive, unnecessary, and the effects are unpredictable. The vitamin and supplement industry is largely unregulated.

loves2spin
February 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
If anyone is truly interested in the health benefits of gelatin, I would urge you to read a book called "Nourishing Traditions." There is LOADS of information in there about that as well as an overwhelming body of other information. Here is a link to it on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/B000QU5SB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234232341&sr=1-2

If you have ever seen a truly sick/malnourished person, you will notice that their hair is not doing very well at all. So, it only seems obvious that an optimum diet would do just the opposite. Every BODY is different and what agrees with me, nutritionally, might not agree with you. It is worthy of study and find out what makes YOU as healthy as possible within what you can afford to purchase/grow/or trade for. My mother swore by the benefits of Knox gelatin for her fingernails, and she was a very smart lady, not easily taken in. As hard as it may be to believe, I trust her on this. She's been gone for many years, but if I ever started having bad fingernails, I would definitely give it a try. She said it took at least 1 month to see any results. Nourishing meat broth made with the bones and marrow would contain a lot of gelatin if prepared correctly.

rose_in_bloom
February 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Protein! It works wonders for hair.

krissyam
February 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM

I would say the number one supplement that made a difference for me was biotin. I got my bottle for $1.75 at Target! It's 1 mg. tablets as opposed to the more expensive 5 mg tablets I used to take from Solgar, but I just take five of them (they are small enough, not like horse pills). My personal advice would be if you could only afford one supplement, make it this one (and if you can afford two, add some kind of bioavailable silica like Biosil or a standardized horsetail extract).

loves2spin
February 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I actually posted the wrong link to that book I recommended. Here is the correct one!

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

howsitgrowin'87
March 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
I don't know if it's just heredity or if it's my high protein diet but my hair has grown about 4 inches in 5 months, maybe even more.

I eat lots and lots of cheese, meats, chicken and beans, I always have. I guess that's what my taste buds really really like. The upside to this is that I have excellent hair growth, the downside is that I think because of all the protein, I can't use products on my hair with protein in them! My hair gets really really crunchy, so I just stay away from those. Plus I have more digestive problems, but I think this is because I don't drink enough water, which I've been working on.

So maybe cheese (and other protein is what makes hair grow faster?) personally I love that, because I LOVE CHEESE!!!

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

spidermom
March 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I don't know if I've already dropped in and left this pearl of wisdom (haha), but I've learned that pumpkin seeds are chock-full of nutrients that hair likes.

BlackfootHair
August 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know if I've already dropped in and left this pearl of wisdom (haha), but I've learned that pumpkin seeds are chock-full of nutrients that hair likes.

Hmm, I seen pumpkin seed oil at GNC tonight and wondered about it! I thought, "I wonder if this is good for hair??"

Laurel32
August 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I agree with the protein suggestions! I have noticed an improvement in my hair growth defiantly. I wonder if I should try gelatin. :hmm:

Aer
August 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
My hair took off with jello, I didn't notice if it made it stronger, but I could really see the growth. I don't do the gelatin mixed with yogurt, but thats because I didn't think about it, and will try it next grocery day. I could still just eat jello, but I'm kind of tired of it, and I'm not a big sweets person.

longhairedfairy
August 8th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I read that all nuts, seeds and fruits are good for growth (it works for me), and as someone said..cutting out sugar and also caffeine may help.
NO! NO! NO! I love my coffee! *covers ears and sings loudly*

JamieRose
August 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM

The actual pumpkin is excellent for you, too- canned pumpkin with cinnamon is a yummy snack, loaded with fiber, vitamins, etc.

JamieRose
August 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
There's a thread somewhere around here that's all about how millet is excellent for hair growth- I'll get the link.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29922&highlight=millet

Arashi
August 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I eat tons of fruit and vegetables, lots of nuts, seeds, and grains, drink a lot of water, and consume a lot of vegan protein. I cook almost everything with olive oil and add ground flax seed to all of my breads and cereals. My hair grows very quickly. :)

CherrySilver
August 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Seaweed.

I've heard it suggested a couple of times by people I've known who've recovered from hairloss problems

It's a bit of an acquired taste, but if you like sushi, you'll have no problem with it. I love to snack on dried nori sheets that are used to roll sushi. Just rip a piece off and munch! They're full of iodine and protein -- great for your skin and hair!

Centifolia
August 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I believe that a healthy diet leads to a healthy hair, so since i'm in this journey i eat a source of protein in each meal, and a lot of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole-grains. I've cutted off all added sugars (just eat something sweetened at birthday partys), almost all processed foods, and caffeine. I'm also taking a suplement for the hair.
My hair seems to be growing quickly, although I'm not mesuring it.

sweetnmellow
August 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have joined LHC last month and I have learned so much about the all the good "foods" and supplements for long hair care. I have been taking a multi-vitamin, olive oil, avocado oil, and flax seed oil every day. I have also been taking vit D and vit C and I eat lost of veggies every day a little bit of fruits ( not more than two servings) and I have cut down a lot on processed sugar, to fight off yeast overgrowth. I also have been on WO routine for the past month and all these changes made a huge difference in my health and I can see it in my hair and skin too... Although I have never measured my hair growth before, I have had 2, 1/2 inches growth in only 1 month! I am excited and I am gonna go get so biotin to help for the growth :)

Elenna
November 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM
If anyone is truly interested in the health benefits of gelatin, I would urge you to read a book called "Nourishing Traditions." There is LOADS of information in there about that as well as an overwhelming body of other information. Here is a link to it on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/B000QU5SB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234232341&sr=1-2
If you have ever seen a truly sick/malnourished person, you will notice that their hair is not doing very well at all. So, it only seems obvious that an optimum diet would do just the opposite. Every BODY is different and what agrees with me, nutritionally, might not agree with you. It is worthy of study and find out what makes YOU as healthy as possible within what you can afford to purchase/grow/or trade for.... Nourishing meat broth made with the bones and marrow would contain a lot of gelatin if prepared correctly.

How about making soups and stews with some added bones for gelatin. Anyone notice that most meat and poultry come without bones (in the USA) and how is that healthy? Going back to the way traditional foods were prepared might possibly help with hair growth. It's not just healthy foods but how they are prepared or not prepared.

Kalamazoo
October 4th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Everybody keeps recommending Biotin. Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions, explains that egg yolks are high in biotin, but that egg whites contain avidin, which is an anti-nutrient, which binds up the biotin and prevents the body from using the biotin.

So I decided to eat egg yolks & throw away the egg whites. Or if I'm making a hair mask, I put an egg yolk in it & discard the white.

Eireann
October 4th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Everybody keeps recommending Biotin. Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions, explains that egg yolks are high in biotin, but that egg whites contain avidin, which is an anti-nutrient, which binds up the biotin and prevents the body from using the biotin.

So I decided to eat egg yolks & throw away the egg whites. Or if I'm making a hair mask, I put an egg yolk in it & discard the white.

Ooh I’m so happy to hear this! One of my favorite treats is a smoothie of whole milk egg yolk and honey.

esfand
October 4th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Variety of healthy fats and proteins - gelatin/collagen, meat (especially chicken), plant proteins, workout whey, dairy...

Natalia_A00
October 4th, 2018, 04:03 PM
I guess stuff with protein and sulfur
Eggs, onion, garlic, etc etc
People also say that gelatin is good for hair growth, but I find it kind of disgusting :rolleyes:

illicitlizard
October 5th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Interesting stuff... Wonder if my hair would be even stronger/healthier if I had a bit more protein in my diet (after all that's the point of supplementing with collagen right? Cuz it sure isn't going to be absorbed and integrated as collagen it's gonna be broken down into amino acids first like aaaalll other proteins). I don't really eat that much protein at all but my hair still feels ok. Could probably be better, though I'm not sure it'd be worth drastic dietary changes.

I feel like eating a balanced diet and lots of water is always key for healthy hair skin and nails, no need to go wild for the latest food craze or 'superfood' (don't even get me started on the bs that is superfoods), just eat fresh produce that you enjoy and stay hydrated.

Kalamazoo
October 15th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Alias "Eggnog"! ... SO much junk food wouldn't be junk food, if only made with quality ingredients! ... It's fun to make someone smile!

Rosetta
October 15th, 2018, 09:34 AM
That sounds really dubious to me, tbh, not to mention I've never heard that anywhere else... After all, (whole) eggs are among the nutritionally best foods that exist, and they certainly wouldn't be considered that if that was true. (Maybe that's another old myth just like the age-old eggs & cholesterol one... ;))

NO! NO! NO! I love my coffee! *covers ears and sings loudly*
Caffeine is actually good for hair growth, there's even a thread about that here somewhere ;)

Aerya
October 15th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Chocolate. And popcorn, the buttery kind! ;D

Seriously though, I don't think it's as much one specific food that helps hair growth as it is getting lots of good nutrition overall. I've struggled with not eating enough and I notice that in periods where I eat enough or even a little more than I need, my hair growth improves, even if I haven't been perfectly healthy. Like if that chocolate is what I need to get in a calorie surplus, then that's good for my hair growth, even if chocolate in itself isn't beneficial - see what I mean?

From what I understand, the body doesn't prioritize growing long hair, as it isn't vital to survival. Vitamins are important but you also need to eat enough.