PDA

View Full Version : The Unexpected Compliment Thread

MemSahib
January 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
OK, it's time for some stroking. Most of us have had some positive comments about our hair along the way and this thread is to share some of them. No whining, no grousing, no belly-aching allowed. Keep it positive and tell me something good someone said about your hair, even if you haven't achieved your hair goals yet.

I'll begin: as you well know you never know exactly what someone else is thinking until they tell you. I have by far the longest hair of anyone at the very conservative church I go to and that church is filled with old ladies, some old enough to be my grandmother. Almost to a woman they have short, permed hair, sometimes colored blonde. (Not my taste at all, but that's beside the point.) I've been more than a tad paranoid about my hair, imagining that they each and every one despise it. However, to my utter surprise and delight one of the ones I figured was probably the most critical told me not long ago that she often admires my updos, calling them "just beautiful". She marveled at how I can put them up, wondering how they are done. "It looks so nice!" she said. — I cannot tell you what a lift this gave me! Here I had decided in my own silly peabrain that she was negative about my hair, but she's not at all. It did make me feel good.

Your turn...

LawyerGirl
January 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Someone at school told me they didn't recognize me because my hair had grown so much :)

getoffmyskittle
January 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I went to a movie last weekend with my hair down. As I was standing in line for tickets, the wind picked up my hair and deposited it inside the purse of the woman behind me. I turned around, saying "uh oh, something has my hair..." The woman who trapped it apologized, and I apologized, and then she and her friend spent the next five minutes complimenting it. It was nice. :grin:

harpgal
January 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I was standing in line at Barnes and Noble a week or so ago, behind a guy with a waist length beard and a waist length braid....completely white! It was most impressive, to say the least. We fell into a conversation and he noticed my braided bun. Of course, he was disappointed because it was wound around a hairstick. Imagine his surprise when I turned around and slid out the hairstick! It was pretty funny when he said that my hair "must be all the way to my knees with a braid like that". LOL!

Carolyn
January 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
My mother never liked my hair long. I think she tried not to criticize it too much after I grew up and she could see I wasn't going to cut. She was a person who just plain didn't like long hair and she was blessed with me :p Anyways I always tried to keep my hair neat and contained around her assuming it would irritate her less that way. A few years ago I was visiting her and it was Michigan in June. Hot and humid. I had it up in my usual bun. At dinner one night she asked me why I didn't wear it down since it was so pretty. I was speechless. I told her I was wearing it in a bun because of the hot humid weather. She told me I should wear it down once in a while. So I guess she did think it was pretty after all :)

joyfulmom4
January 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Oh, this is a nice idea for a thread. :-) Here's my addition:

A few weeks ago, I had my hair up in a braided bun. Usually noone pays much attention to my hair when it's up. I think most people don't have a clue how much hair is there when it's put up like that. Not unless they're familiar with long hair and updos.

Then I met two older women and was talking with them. They were in their early to mid 70's or so. When I turned, one of them noticed my bun and commented on it. The other had me turn so she could see. They both admired it and commented on how *long* my hair was and how *thick*, which they could tell by looking at it. One asked twice whether it was all my own hair. She was sure I had to have added a hairpiece. Said it would have to be all the way down to here (gesturing at classic length) to do that.

Only someone who knew long hair and buns would have figured that out. They went on to compliment me and tell me how beautiful my hair was.

JamieLeigh
January 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
A friend of mine has always worn hers short, as in pixie or just plain shaven bald or mohawk-y. And in the 17 years I've known her, she has never once said a word about my hair, neither good nor bad, neither knee-length nor BSL nor tailbone length. Yet last week, we ate at the restaurant she works in, and my hair was down. I walked in with the husband and 5 kids bustling around me, and the wind was up, so my hair was quite literally wrapped around my body. She looked up from behind the counter and surprised me with, "Jamie, I've always just loved your hair. I wish I could grow mine out."

Of course I was puzzled by why she couldn't...and then she told me she had always had a vitamin deficiency, and has had hospital stays due to it...which I'd never known! And it always affected her hair growth, to the point that if it gets much longer than pixie, it falls out. All these years, and I learned something new about my friend, starting with an unexpected compliment.

I was going to post this in another thread, but I saw this one first.

atlantaz3
January 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
A lady at work told me my gibson pony looked really nice. It was a one day past wash day do!

MemSahib
January 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Oh, I'm loving reading these. Isn't it the very unexpectedness of it which helps make it so sweet?

sklent
January 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I would love to see more of this.

spidermom
January 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
This thread has kind of a weird title because who among us walks around EXPECTING compliments, know what I mean? Pretty much all compliments are unexpected.

My most unexpected was when I was standing in line to get into a restroom at the mall. My bun was pulling, so I pulled out the fork to re-do it, and a woman standing near me said "Oh my goodness! You have such beautiful hair."

FB
January 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
The best compliment I received was when I was walking down the street in a hurry and these ladies stopped me and asked me if I had a minute to go see this hairdresser because they wanted me to be a hair model. And I had not washed my hair in four days. I felt really good to have my hair noticed.

MsBubbles
January 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
My SO's mother from the 1950s cropped crowd said my hair looked pretty on Christmas Day. It was fresh washed with bun waves.

MemSahib
January 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
This thread has kind of a weird title because who among us walks around EXPECTING compliments, know what I mean? Pretty much all compliments are unexpected. LOL, I guess it does!

Dreamernz
January 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Well yesterday I pinned my semi-wet hair up so that today it was in pretty, volumous curls/waves. I was sitting in maths and the sunlight was coming through the window a bit. A girl across the classroom said 'I adore your hair, It's so luscious, I love the lusciousness of it', lol needless to say I wasn't expecting anything like that, It put a smile on my face, people seem to know I take care of my hair and it feels good to have hair that is only APL appreciated :D:D:D

PurpleAshes
January 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Last week, I was wearing my hair down, it hadn't been washed in 2 days so it was not at its best.
My boyfriend suddenly said "Your hair looks so healthy and shiny! Before, it wasnt like that, it was just plain" (by before he meant before I started to take care of it)
I thought it was very, very sweet:crush:

BlackfootHair
January 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
hehe...my boyfriend told me just last night that my hair was getting longer. :D

Roseate
January 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
In conversation with a friend, we were trying to remember exactly when something had happened, and she said "Well, it must have been at least two years ago, because you still had your Rapunzel hair." These days it would have to be a basement apartment window for anyone to climb up my pitiful little braid, but I liked the description and was pretty flattered!

AJoifulNoise
January 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Not a verbal compliment... But, a compliment nonetheless: When my hair first started getting long my stepmom made some comments that led me to believe she didn't like it. I remember when I was younger that she didn't like my long hair because I "didn't do anything with it."

The other day I was standing in the kitchen talking to my dad and my stepmom came up and picked up on of my pigtails and stroked it. Almost like she couldn't help herself. I bounced happily through the rest of my day.

Islandgrrl
January 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Standing in line at the grocery store yesterday in the morning, waiting to pay for my coffee, and the bread delivery guy stopped and told me he liked the color of my hair - and asked me how long it was. So I pulled the stick out and took my hair down. He said it was "awesome." :)

LHGypsyRose
January 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Last week my husband, three children and I were out grocery shopping, and I was wearing my hair down with two rubberbands securing it about midway up the length. As we were about to leave the check-out line, an elderly woman came up behind us and said " Excuse me", and as I turned to face her she started talking about how absolutely breathtaking my hair is! That was nice because we just moved here to Mo from Tn, and I have seen only ONE woman with long hair, it was but waist-length. It doesn't seem that long hair is very popular around here:(

CrystalStar
January 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if this counts but my brother walked in when he wa staying form uni, and the sun was shining on my hair and he just goes 'I love the way your hair just reflects ANY light at all' and for some reason that made my day :P

Another would be my friend Lauren just pulling her hairbrush out her bag, brushing my hair witha smile on her face and saying 'that was totally weird but I couldn't help myself..' :p

SweetPea88
January 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
At church on Sunday I turned around to greet a couple sitting behind me and she commented that my hair was very beautiful! It was such a nice surprise and made my week. :D

SHW
January 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I went to my hairdresser this summer (2008) after not seeing him since summer of 2006. He had been cutting my hair very short for about 20 years. First he didn't recognize me. Then I had him wash, trim and dry my hair. He kept running his hands through it and telling me how beautiful my hair is. That was the best compliment I could ever get. Thanks Bruno :)

kdaniels8811
January 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I had the nicest compliment on the shine of my hair from Hue, I was very surprised and pleased!

rchorr
January 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I remember when I was in college, I had my hair up under a hat (braided for halloween ;^) and a couple of guys in my dorm freaked! They 1st told me they didn't recognize me w/o my hair, and then begged me to tell them that I had not cut it.

I didn't realize at the time that I was recognized by my hair. Needless to say, they were glad that I had NOT cut it. :-)

RCHORR'

MamaGigi
January 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
This morning my daughter crawled into my lap, wrapped her arms and legs around me and nuzzled my neck. It was nice because she was still "straight from the bed warm" and groggy. I went to move her off and she protested because she was smelling and touching my hair. She told me she loved my dark hair. I used coconut oil on it for the first time last night. Needless to say, I'm going to do it again. :)

Hairtada
January 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I get lots of compliments when my hair is up but a couple of months ago I was wearing it down and as I was going into the grocery store a woman was coming out ,she stopped me and told me what a wonderful head of hair I had. Said she had not seen one like it since the 70's.
I think it was a compliment. :)

MemSahib
January 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
What nice compliments we are getting! I really appreciate all these but I am especially glad those of you who still have shorter hair have chimed in! You know, here at LHC we are very supportive of one another and do our best to encourage and compliment our friends here, but when family members or total strangers, even, notice our hair — well, that's special.

DMARTINEZ
January 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM
While at church one evening last week, a young man at our church said,wow,I didnt
realize your hair was so long.(I had it down for a bit) He said it looked like a "mane".
I took that as a compliment! ;)

Deb

JamieLeigh
January 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Ha...I just got another this morning. :p

I normally wear my hair up to church, and we just moved to a newer church building closer to home. So a lot of folks we went to church with will be staying in the old building, and some will be coming with us to the new. (Not a split or anything, just that the church is growing! LOL :D) Anywho, the missionaries who attend the older church (they're from Utah) will not be seeing us every week anymore, so they stopped by our house to say goodbye to us & to chit-chat. I have my hair down today, since I just washed it last night, and when I opened the door, both of the guys' eyes widened and they said, "Wow!! I didn't know your hair was that long!"...."Neither did I! That's amazing!"

Which started off a whole new topic..."how long are you letting it grow?"...."do the kids pull it?" ;)

handsclean
June 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
I usually wear my hair in nice updos for church, but today I let it down in my spirals. My hair isn't very long, but a very shy girl who has never said two words to me came up to me and said,
"Hi, umm I thought I'd come over and introduce myself, I'm a little shy so that's why I haven't really talked to you before, but I had to tell you.. every week since you've started coming here, I've always loved your hair. It's so pretty."
:)

Nyghtingale
June 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
These are such nice comments.

Bunnyhare
June 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I almost feel like happy tears are coming! This is wonderful..
Mine is a bit different but since I have been a part of TLHC I have been refering to things about hair like "when my hair is long enough i am going to.." and my husband gets this dreamy look in his eyes and says" i love it that you say WHEN my hair gets longer..." It makes me happy to see him so...content over my hair goals!
I love how supportive this is...You all are so awesome to "know" .

wackyredtangles
June 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
This is such a nice thread. =)

I have a few. A few months ago my hair was feeling dry because I hadn't been able to do a deep treatment in awhile. I was in the car after work, and had taken it down. The window was open, and I was finger combing my hair (I play with my hair when I'm stressed). A few minutes later I stopped at a red light, and a man high up in a truck next to me start yelling about how "beautiful" my hair was. Getting hair compliments on days when you feel like your hair looks terrible is the best. :p

Another time I was at a bus stop, and had my hair up in a sock bun. An older lady was standing behind me, and tapped me on the shoulder to tell me that she had to tell me that my hair looked lovely, and was so nice and shiny.

Also when I was younger, 13ish, I always had long hair. I was at that age where I never liked the way I looked, changing body and all that. I had this really nice middle eastern (I think Syria, but I'm not sure) family next to me. The mom was always really nice to me, telling me she'd love to have a daughter as pretty as me and all that. Nearly everyday she would brush my hair out and play with it.

AmyJorgensen
June 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I wanted to share this because it was so funny...and very unexpected. My husband was at a food booth at a fair and the 17ish year old boy who served him blurted out, "Your beard is amazing!" Talk about LOL. I think it must be the color that is amazing, because he has tawny red hair and a burgandy red beard...also it is thick and about 4 inches long.

BrianaFineHair
June 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
My 11 year old son, "Mommy, your hair is so soft and pretty." :)

Deimos
June 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
What a nice thread! I got a few unexpected compliments lately. The other day I was babysitting a girl and she told me my hair always looked the same (because it was in a bun) So I took it out to show her that I actually can do it loose. And she was amazed by the length :D That really put a smile to my face.

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
My 11 year old son, "Mommy, your hair is so soft and pretty." :)

Aww, that's the best.