PDA

View Full Version : Curious to know for those with hair thicker than 5 inches in circumference

Darkhorse1
January 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm curious to ask those like Igor, Dianyla and Stagecoach, to name a few. I think your hair is quite thick--past 5'' circumfrence.

My question to those with very thick hair, do you get headaches from your hair weight? Is it heavy? Can you not do certain styles as a result of that much hair? Just curious to know.

I know there are quite a few people here with thick hair, those were just 3 people that came to mind! :D:cheese:

Dianyla
January 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM
My circumference is usually around 4 5/8". Very few people have 5" or greater. My hair weighs about 12-14 ounces.

I have to be very careful about what kinds of updos I make. I can only wear most buns for a few hours, if the center of gravity is too far from my head the weight of it will cause neck strain and eventually lead to a tension headache.

A low bun with a close-in center of gravity is tolerable for all-day wear, but can still give me a headache.

Darkhorse1
January 26th, 2009, 10:23 PM
So, would you say the weight is more due to the length of your hair? I know a friend of mine who has hair the same thickness as yours, and she ended up cutting it about BSL because it was pretty heavy/difficult for riding. She was working track horses at the time, and that is a really early morning rise. Not sure if she grew it back out--we had the 'long hair connection'. I know she's in vet school now :)

Dianyla
January 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM
So, would you say the weight is more due to the length of your hair?
I'd say the bulk of the weight is between my head and my waist. So cutting it shorter wouldn't necessarily solve the problem, unless I went drastically shorter.

Schnee
January 27th, 2009, 03:53 AM
The circumference is about 5" at the base, 3" at the end.

I don't get tension headaches or have the feeling that my hair is heavy, but a "bad" updo that pulls will give me a sore scalp, so buns have to be evenly distributed on my head.

There's a lot of updos I cannot do because I've too much hair, like french twists. Nor do I like updos that make it look like I've something growing out of the back of my head. :pumpkin:

Exodus
January 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
My circumference is usually around 4 5/8". Very few people have 5" or greater. My hair weighs about 12-14 ounces.

How do you know the weight of your hair? Do you just estimate it, or did you actually put your hair on a scale? *curious*

Curlsgirl
January 27th, 2009, 06:03 AM
My circumference used to be over 5 inches but I think some of that was due to damage and such because now it's about 4 and 1/2 to 4 3/4 or something like that depending on what wash day etc. It took me a lot longer to do a lot of updos than thinner haired people for sure. I can't tell much difference in how the weight affects it now as opposed to any length except maybe shoulder and above. I have to be very careful how I balance updos and usually end up wearing a figure 8 if I wear it up. Still it can get uncomfortable after a bit. I do think it's more due to scalp pulling. I have no problems with my hair down or halfup at all. It still feels very light and I can't feel the weight at all. Of course mine is still only near waist not really long at all by LHC standards. I just thought I would give you another perspective.

Periwinkle
January 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
My circumference is 5.5" (or possibly slightly above; I'm pretty sure more of my thinning has grown out since then). I get headaches if I leave my hair down, and it pulls badly if I put it up in the wrong place, but normally-placed updos are fine.

However, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing my hair down as there's just so much of it and it kind of swamps me. I used to thin it out like there's no tomorrow, but now that I'm growing it, I want to save the thickness so that taper will be from very thick to less thick than from thick to thin.

My hair's only a bit past BSL, though, so maybe more difficulties come with length?

Aisha25
January 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I dont get headaches but my neck hurts at times if I wear them open too long I have to braid them to get relief but its the same for any length not just when there long.

Darkhorse1
January 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Wow---that makes sense. My hair is just around 4' circumfrence, and certain styles do pull/irritate my scalp over time. My hair is quite light due to it having natural body, so wearing it down for me is most comfortable. However, at work, I can't do that so I find an english braid is the best for me. My mom used to get headaches because her hair was very straight, but she had a lot of it and it was heavy. She ended up cutting it as a result. It was widening her part as it got longer. She told me the story of her wanting to cut it short from being wasit length, and can you believe the barber asked her if it was ok with her husband???? HELLO???? I mean, yah, it was 1974---like my dad really cared or even if he did, my mom said 'what does my husband have to do with this? It's MY hair'. She got a short cut and experiemented with different styles/perms etc.

Aisha25
January 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
For me I cant wear buns for long times its way to much weight for me to handle I have to stick with only low braids or half braid and a low braid together that way not so much weight for my neck:) The buns in my pictures were just for pictures after I take the pics I take them down cause way to much weight for my head:lol:

neon-dream
January 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
My hair is almost 5"
I never wear all of my hair up in a bun or anything, so I'm not sure if I would get headaches from that.
I never suffer from headaches because of the weight of my hair, but when my hair is wet, I sometimes hurt my neck when I lift my head out of the bath.
But that's my own fault, it's only when i forget to hold my hair when I do that!

plainjanegirl
January 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM
When is the beat time and way to get an accurate measurement of your ponytail circumference? Like is it better freshly washed or a few days after a wash? Does it matter if you used cones or not?

Solange
January 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I can answer as someone whose hair once WAS that thick. My hair didn't give me headaches if it was either loose or in a braid. It's when my hair was up that I had to balance it just right or it would hurt my scalp and make me somewhat headachy. It really seems to depend on the person; some are simply not affected and others are.

xkitxgirx
January 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm not really sure about the circumference of my hair, never measured. But it is pretty thick, thicker than any of my friends. I can't pull my hair up anymore. It gives me horrible headaches and back pain. Once in a while I will still pull it up for certain events or if I'm working in the house and don't feel like braiding. But for the most part I just do all sorts of braids and sometimes low buns as they don't effect me quite so much. I used to horseback ride and I always got headaches no matter what I did with my hair, but I loved it so much I wasn't going to stop for such a reason. Now I don't have access to horses though.

Phalaenopsis
January 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
The biggest relief for me are inbraids, especially two. Or just loose. Of everything else, after a while I get a headache or neckpain.
And I don't have 5 inches of circumference.
Maybe it's the straight hair and a lot of it thing?

Igor
January 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I wish, but my thickness is 12 cm/4,7 inches :wink: and weighed a little more than 200 grams / 7,05 ounces completely dry last I put it on a scale (about a year ago… I should try again soon)

I don’t think it’s as much the weight as it is the momentum, if you know what I mean? Weight x distance from fixed point to put it simple. The closer I can push the updo to the scalp, the less any movement will tug on it

What gives me the headaches is when a few strands are carrying more weight than the rest, so the first step for me is to make a base ponytail where the weight is distributed evenly and the elastics hold it firm in place
I have a special way to start off a ponytail to make sure the strands are pulled evenly. Most people would say it would be less damaging if I can make an updo without the starting ponytail and elastic, but I’ll take that damage over a headache!

Igor
January 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
It also helps to know your ”headache points”. Some parts of your scalp are less sensitive to pulling than others. For instance, the very top of my head seems more sensitive than around my temples, so when I make an updo I usually base it on a deep side part or pull everything back so I don’t have a part

Also factor in your natural growth direction. If you start off my pulling a cowlick the wrong direction for an updo, you’re more prone to headaches

Drynwhyl
January 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
My circumference is 6,1 inches (I just measured it, 3rd day after washing) that is, excluding my 6 dreadlocks in the back, it's 7,2 inches with them.
I rarely wear buns, as it's too heavy to stay up, and my scalp gets sore after a while. I find wearing it loose the most comfortable, braided if I have to get it out of the way, or a half- tied.

ChatoyantLocks
January 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I don't remember what my circumference is, since I haven't measured in a while, but I have a lot of hair!

Amish hairpins are my friends! Even if I am using hair sticks or forks, I have been learning that sticking in a bunch of hairpins helps keep the tension even so it is less likely to hurt, and makes the up-do more likely to last the day.

Igor
January 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Alright, some work in paint and…

Igor’s base ponytail method

You need
One wide toothed comb (Red)
One fine toothed comb (Green)
Two different sets of elastics (I use 2 elastics in each set because one elastic alone can’t carry my hair without slipping or pulling)

Start off my putting your hair up in a ponytail using the wide toothed comb to put it in place
Secure with the first set of elastics (Blue)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail1.jpg

Now use the fine toothed comb to “rake” your scalp hair back so everything is smooth (Red) It will leave some “bumpy” hair at the base of the ponytail (Yellow)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail2.jpg

Take the wide toothed comb again and use it to pull out the “bumpy” hair and the first elastic down to the tail (Green) Do not start pulling the first elastic out!
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail3.jpg

Hold the now-smooth hair in place at the base of the ponytail and use the second set of elastics to secure the ponytail (purple)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail4.jpg

Now you may remove the first set of elastics and detangle the tail. Then you can continue the updo you had planned. If you make a stick or fork updo, you get unrivalled stability if you can get one stick through the load-carrying elastic

Dianyla
January 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
How do you know the weight of your hair? Do you just estimate it, or did you actually put your hair on a scale? *curious*
I put it on a scale.

http://diane.rokatek.com/hair/hairweighin.jpg

It probably weighs a little more now, since it was a foot shorter in this picture. :)

Dianyla
January 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
When is the beat time and way to get an accurate measurement of your ponytail circumference? Like is it better freshly washed or a few days after a wash? Does it matter if you used cones or not?
It depends on your hair texture. I have wavy hair and right after washing it can measure upwards of 5" circumference depending on how puffed up it is. But that's not a reliable, repeatable measurement so I disregard it.

I always measure the circumference when my hair is quite greasy and smoothed down (usually 7-10 days after the washing). I put it in a tight elastic ponytail, and then measure right below the ponytail. If you measure between the ponytail holder and the scalp, you'll get an inaccurately high reading because of the curvature of your head spreading the hair.

LadyEliza
January 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
My hair is somewhere between 4 and 5. At the moment it's short, but it was long in the past. I found that I couldn't do some updos when it got to certain lengths - for example, a french roll was out of the question before it got to waist length.

I use to get headaches, but that was because of other reasons. And updos can pull no matter how long/thick your hair is if you don't do them properly.

Darkhorse1
January 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
This is really fascinating! Thanks everyone for sharing! I always wondered when you should measure your circumfrence--I usually do a loose ponytail and measure infront because I have bangs growing out. I can be anywhere from just under 4' to 4.5'. I have wavy/natural body to my hair, so I wonder if washing poofs it out?? Who knows.

I never have had a problem with headaches due to my hair, but I'm finding it a bit of a problem now I've changed pillows. My old pillow was orthopedic foam, but was pretty flattened out. I'm using a nice feather pillow, but it's different in shape, and it's hard to lay my hair out. I've tried braiding it, but honestly? I don't like braid waves and I wash my hair at night. If I braid it at night, I'll look like a chia pet in the morning ;)

That would make sense in regards to even distributation of the hair in regards to updos. For me, french braids make my scalp sore after awhile, or itchy, but that's probably because I do them tight to last the day. I recently played around with the hauser braid and found that very comfortable.

Igor--how'd you do those drawings?? Those are NEAT!!!

Speedbump
January 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Mine is only 4.5", but I'll chime in anyway. :lol:

I do get headaches very easily from my hair's weight when it's in an updo. I have to really distribute the weight WELL in order for me to be able to wear a bun for more than four hours. I have a sensitive scalp, however, and I have to be careful about pulling too much on any set of hairs.

I have found an English braid is the most comfortable style for me now. I used to do a Dianyla braid (a modified English braid) but for some reason one day it just stopped working. I suspect my hair hit a certain length that the weight of it caused the whole thing to go cattywampus.

As for styles, I am so updotarded that I can't do most styles just because..I can't do most styles. :lol: But definitely, I had a real hard time with buns when my hair was shorter. It was so thick and short all at the same time I could barely get two revolutions around. I also have a real hard time getting enough pins in it to keep it up.

HTH, even though I'm a "thinny" compared to some on this thread. :lol:

Speedy

Stagecoach
January 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Wow, I'm flattered that you thought my hair was 5" in circumfrence! I wish it were :)

As it is, my hair is 3.25" and I do occasionally get headaches from poorly balanced updos. And when my hair goes through it's growth spurts I get headaches for a couple weeks.

But over all, I believe my hair is actually lighter than a lot of other folks... other people notice their hair weighing a lot at much shorter lengths than I ever did.

DreamSheep
September 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Bumping up this very old thread because I'm quite interested in hearing further replies about this.
I think I've lost quite a lot of thickness due to autumn shed (usually I can't get my hand around my ponytail properly, now I can), but it is still over 5''.
My hair isn't super long (longest layers are just past hip, shorter ones hang at around BSL) so my hair isn't very heavy, although certain buns and ponytails, if incorrectly made, will pull a lot and I will need to redo them for them to be more comfortable. I guess I'm just curious if it is possible to get a headache from hair that's thick and very long - regardless of updo-skill

lapushka
September 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Mine is 4.25" and updos (buns) weren't possible until I reached waist and longer. Hip was more comfortable than waist, that's for sure. I felt that my hair was heavy until updos were possible (without pulling).

meteor
September 11th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'm in this boat (circumference measurements are different on different days but always between 5'' - 6.3''), and I do often experience tension, uncomfortable scalp pain, but that's only from positioning updos in a certain way or my scalp being sore, not because of the weight of hair. My hair is quite heavy when wet, but that's pretty normal.
I heard of quite a few women cutting their hair due to headaches but finding out that headaches didn't go away, so I suggest keeping the hair but investigating the reasons for your headaches with your doctor.

I do have severe updo limitations: I've only mastered 2 updo styles and do many different variations of them. But I can't blame my hair for that - it's probably due to my own lame skills. :lol:
Some styles like French twists and ponytails aren't happening for me. I never even try ponytails anymore because they were sliding and painful even when my hair was short.
Generally, if your hair is very thick, braids are your best friends. Just don't braid too tightly close to scalp. Also, half-ups are great on very thick hair - you can leave a half-up or build a bun around it, sectioning hair. Sectioning buns and doing two or multiple buns is very helpful for thick hair.
I find that the lightest hair-styles by weight are variations of coronet braids and milkmaid braids.

Here is a useful video by Torrin Paige about how to put up thick hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

KittyBird
September 11th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm at less than 5" due to a huge shed, but my buns are still pretty big. I don't normally get headaches, only if the bun is too tight or not properly balanced. Ever since hitting tailbone length, I've been having more issues with bunning. They feel much heavier, and I can rarely do single stick buns anymore. The only stick bun that is truly comfortable is the figure 8. I mostly rely on sectioned buns, and buns held with claw clips, jeterforks and metal forks. I think my stupid sensitive scalp is mostly to blame for the bunning issues. :p

chen bao jun
September 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Mine was between 4.75 and 5.25 when I first joined LHC, not counting bangs. It measures differently on different days, sorry. But its never below 4.75. And it is most distinctly thicker since 2 years on LHC (and getting thicker yet. My wash methods before LHC were pulling my hair out). So I fit this category in thickness, but probably not in length since I am bra strap bottom now when stretched and about APL unstretched due to being tightly curly.
I always get headaches but they are migraines and have nothing to do with my hair (allergies, sun sensitivity). When I first started putting my hair up, I would get scalp pulling and soreness in certain styles, with certain hairtoys, but it wasn't weight of my hair--it was more, not being able to make certain hairstyles without a strand or two being pulled. I got more skilled and rarely have these problems now, though quite a bit longer now. Never noticed my hair weighing very much. The thickness was always more of a problem when my hair was uncontained, due to the amount of my hair being hot all the time (asset in winter, not so great in summer) and in the way (get all over the place without updoes even when short and its worse now). For me, extreme density always made more of a problem so far as getting my hair to fit in hairtoys without breaking them (and to avoid things like bobby pins either getting lost in there, or shooting out and flying around) rather than any discomfort when my hair was up.
I have started to notice now however that when I put my hair in a bun on top of my head, even though I know how to arrange it so the weight is distributed I FEEL the weight up there. It doesn't give me a headache and its not exactly discomfort. But I know the hair is there and have a feeling of relief when I take it down. So maybe things will change as I gain length from here on in? I hope not.
At the moment I have to wear large ficcares, extra large flexi 8's and my forks are best with at least 5 inch functional length. But I expect to be able to wear medium ficcares and large flexis as my hair grows a bitlonger, because then I will be able to do center held buns (which I have jsut been able to begin to manage now).
Re: what Lapushka said, I've been able to make an attempt at a cinnabun since about APL stretched, because I have a LOT of taper (due to what I said in the first paragraph about poor hair care which causes my roots be considerably thicker than the bottom of my hair). I'm able to do a disc bun well now and can make an attempt at a nautilus bun, over one finger, which is VERY tight. However, if I use only half my hair (which would be like using a more normal 2.5 or 2.75 inch circumference), nautiluses are really easy, my cinnabun then definitely has more than one twirl--about one and a half--and the disc bun even gets easier. One of my favorite hairtoys is Jeterforks, since they allow you to sort of blob your hair up there and have it stay without it being a real bun.
Hope that helps.

darklyndsea
September 11th, 2014, 03:50 PM
My hair's right at 5". It's definitely heavy (my awful attempt at weighing (dry) came out at 10 oz., so it's more than that), but mostly I don't notice, except when I pick up my braid and drop it on myself (ouch!) and in the shower. I can't do stick buns because no matter how I do them, they focus all of the weight of my hair on just a few strands. Center-held buns end up weird-looking anyway because of how thick my hair is at the base, so I don't really mind.

meteor
September 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM
That's so interesting, Darklyndsea. I don't know how to do a balanced center-held style either - it's just too much concentration in one spot, I guess.
What styles can you do, Darklyndsea?

It's so interesting to read everybody's replies and see how similar many experiences are.
Do many of you also do basically the same 2-4 styles and just vary those styles a tiny bit? There is so little realistic updo variation, I find...

Madora
September 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Haven't a clue how thick my hair is..but I had tons of it, back in the day!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/1988lrg.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/1988lrg.jpg.html)

The secret to wearing thick, long hair comfortably is to section it! No headaches, no tension. When the hair is distributed across the scalp, the weight is more easily borne. Granted, not all styles lend themselves to this practice...but many styles do!

meteor
September 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM
What a wonderful picture, Madora! :thud: It looks like a river of pure silk in the desert!

darklyndsea
September 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM
That's so interesting, Darklyndsea. I don't know how to do a balanced center-held style either - it's just too much concentration in one spot, I guess.
What styles can you do, Darklyndsea?

It's so interesting to read everybody's replies and see how similar many experiences are.
Do many of you also do basically the same 2-4 styles and just vary those styles a tiny bit? There is so little realistic updo variation, I find...

Braided cinnabun/cinnablob, Amish braids, and Elling woman bun are my usual styles. I'm also happy with the fake crown braid from 2 english braids style, whatever that's called. Unbraided styles don't hold well and my hair tangles too much to bother with them.

meteor
September 11th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you so much, darklyndsea! I love those styles, too! :D There is something about the hold and comfort of braided updos that just can't be beat! ;)

chen bao jun
September 11th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Beautiful hair, Madora and you still have beautiful hair.

Madora
September 11th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Thank you very much, Meteor and Chen bao jun! I just was lucky to have great hair genes on both sides of the family!

Lindenare
September 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I'm another one whose hair measures differently on different days - I don't think I've ever gotten the same circumference twice, but it's typically between 4.5" and 6". I don't actually trust the 4.5" measurement, as it was made with a measuring tape that I realized later was rather stretched out from years of use, but I don't remember my next lowest measurement. Probably much closer to 5".

Like a bunch of other posters, I need to make sure my updos are well distributed in weight. If anything pulls, I will get a headache. Center-held buns were the first updos I could manage that held comfortably for more than an hour, and I couldn't do those at all until hip+. I've just learned that I can now do a braided cinnabun of sorts held up with sticks, and that's comfortable if I can get all the sticks woven in just right. I never have problems with the weight of my hair when it's braided or loose - I don't even feel that my hair is heavy, up or not, unless it is wet.

Crown braids are wonderful for weight distribution, but I've started having trouble sectioning my hair for them. Perhaps it's getting too long and I need to wait until I have a foot more braid so I can do a coronet braid. Never been able to do milkmaid braids, although that may be due to my hair spitting out or eating bobby pins. I haven't been able to find pins that actually work on my hair yet.

Wow, that is a lot of rambling. Time to stop.

Madora
September 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Lindenare, bobby pins never work. They're only meant to hold whisps of hair. Amish hairpins, or crimped hairpins, are what you need to create secure updos. I use 3 inch crimped hairpins from Sally's. Easy to use and remove! Love 'em!

burny
September 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM
My hair is super thick(about 5.9", 40" length), I don't think I get headaches from hair(I get migraines, but I had them before my hair was long). I think a significant factor for scalp irritation, would be hair texture. My hair is fairly rough and wavy, so the weight rests fairly spread out on my head and shoulders/back. I don't have any idea what the weight of my hair is, but I don't feel that I can do ANY up do's, but I haven't tried very many times yet.

thanks meteor for the link for the halfup->fullup demonstrations, I'm going to try some of them in the next few weeks. Planing a trip to the mal this weekend, to get a wooden comb, and hopefully a hair stick and silk cap also.

cat11
September 11th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Yes- I do get headaches wearing certain styles, but only one really: ponytails. I cant wear a high ponytail (which is my preference...) with a regular scrunchies or hair elastics anymore. It hurts/pulls to much, or the weight makes it slowly slide down. However, a flexi 8 solves those problems and makes it very comfortable. SOMETIMES I can get a pony in the middle of the back of my head to be comfortable if I use two scrunchies. I also can't do any buns other than a cinnabun yet... LWB ALMOST works but it's too tight to be reliable. However, it has been a couple months since I really tried any other buns, because I told myself to wait a long time before I tried it again. It might be time since Ive noticed my hair getting longer!! :D (goes off to find bun styles to try..)

Lindenare
September 11th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Lindenare, bobby pins never work. They're only meant to hold whisps of hair. Amish hairpins, or crimped hairpins, are what you need to create secure updos. I use 3 inch crimped hairpins from Sally's. Easy to use and remove! Love 'em!

I figured that out a while back, but for now they're all I have. I've been looking for Amish pins or similar all summer, but have only found tiny u-pins that look like they hold less than bobby pins. You get yours at Sally's?

darklyndsea
September 11th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Yes- I do get headaches wearing certain styles, but only one really: ponytails. I cant wear a high ponytail (which is my preference...) with a regular scrunchies or hair elastics anymore. It hurts/pulls to much, or the weight makes it slowly slide down. However, a flexi 8 solves those problems and makes it very comfortable. SOMETIMES I can get a pony in the middle of the back of my head to be comfortable if I use two scrunchies. I also can't do any buns other than a cinnabun yet... LWB ALMOST works but it's too tight to be reliable. However, it has been a couple months since I really tried any other buns, because I told myself to wait a long time before I tried it again. It might be time since Ive noticed my hair getting longer!! :D (goes off to find bun styles to try..)

I wasn't even able to do a high ponytail when my hair was short...it slides down immediately and pulls painfully at the top of my head (and the tangles were awful to deal with too). But in the past...year-ish? I discovered that peacock twists make really awesome fake high ponytails since the twist part is hidden by the length. I like it for when my hair's drying and I need to get my hair somewhat out of my way.

darklyndsea
September 11th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I figured that out a while back, but for now they're all I have. I've been looking for Amish pins or similar all summer, but have only found tiny u-pins that look like they hold less than bobby pins. You get yours at Sally's?

I think you can only find amish pins online or directly from Amish/Mennonite suppliers. I've never seen them in normal stores. Crimped hairpins are at Sally's though.

Chiaroscuro
September 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I'm 5.75-6". I find my biggest problem is casting my body, head, and shoulders forward so as to have my shoulders and back carry some of the weight of the hair. I really have to work hard at standing straight. I worry that I will be a hunchback with beautiful hair.

I agree sectioning the hair and coronets help distribute the weight when wearing the hair up. I also find bundling the hair right at the curve of the back of the scalp above the neck makes it feel much lighter. Half updos are perfect because the weight can be distributed between the top and back of the head, along with some hanging down.

I love full updos. For me, thickness had nothing to do with whether I could do updos. I had a whole lot of great fun at mid-back to tail bone length. However, at that length, due to the thickness of my hair, it was not long enough to do the video buns. But I don't think video buns are the holy grail because, while they are quick, they are rather boring, IMHO. At that length, I frequently sectioned off a circle of the center scalp, and taking that hair, arranged curls, coils, victory rolls, whatever, right in the center. Then I would wrap the outside with a very thick cornrowed coronet or two. Cornrow braids/twists means you don't have to use pins except for the center curls and to anchor the end of the braid or twist.

For longer hair, one trick is layering the updo so that, for instance, there is a cornrow coronet braid, then a twist going the opposite direction on top over the braid, then curls stacked and artfully arranged on top of the twist, etc. Sometimes to decrease the height, I leave a hunk of side hair out, section it, and then twist or braid the sections for dangling swoops that anchor near the top of the updo. Stacked updos will make you stick out in today's society because they have a Marie-Antoinette or beehive look to them, but most people are fascinated by the seeming complexity.

Another basis for an updo is to section the hair from ear to ear. With the front hair, do curls, coils, rolls, etc. Twist up the back half into a French roll, or if ends are too thick to tuck into a roll, leave them out and artfully pin curl them along the part so as to cover it up.

I take and adapt most of my inspiration from Victorian or 1950s hairstyles.

For some reason, my hair feels lighter when sectioned and put up, versus the styles in the video buns. I think it is because the video buns usually originate from a single hunk of hair that is artfully twisted and arranged, and therefore the hair is not as compressed onto the scalp as happens with a more complex, sectioned updo. Also, there are usually only a few sticks or pins holding up a video bun so I feel the hair moving more so than with a sectioned updo that usually requires a lot more pins or jaw clips.

Lastly, I agree with meteor, headaches can be caused by so many things: stress, staring at a computer screen, lack of upper body muscles, etc. Might or might not be my hair. Or, maybe I just endure for vanity's sake!

Madora
September 11th, 2014, 09:52 PM

Yes, I do!

curlylocks85
September 12th, 2014, 07:59 AM
My question to those with very thick hair, do you get headaches from your hair weight?
When I put it up, yes I do. When it is down it is very light feeling. When it is up, I have to distribute the weight equally.

Is it heavy?
Oh my, yes.

Can you not do certain styles as a result of that much hair?
The one's that cause me headaches or neck pressure, I can only keep in for a few hours.

StellaKatherine
September 12th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I can't wear high ponytail or high bun for a long time eather.. And my hair isn't even thick... I think maybe some people have more sensitive spots on their scalp where even little weight is too much

chen bao jun
September 12th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Chiaroscuro, I see you are a 4a who has 45 long inch hair. Hope you join us on the type 4 thread. We have just been debating over there whether classic hair is possible for tightly curlies and you must be classic with 45 inches? Is it 45 inches curly or stretched?
Your hair sounds wonderful, I hope you eventually post pics.

I'm 5.75-6". I find my biggest problem is casting my body, head, and shoulders forward so as to have my shoulders and back carry some of the weight of the hair. I really have to work hard at standing straight. I worry that I will be a hunchback with beautiful hair.

I agree sectioning the hair and coronets help distribute the weight when wearing the hair up. I also find bundling the hair right at the curve of the back of the scalp above the neck makes it feel much lighter. Half updos are perfect because the weight can be distributed between the top and back of the head, along with some hanging down.

I love full updos. For me, thickness had nothing to do with whether I could do updos. I had a whole lot of great fun at mid-back to tail bone length. However, at that length, due to the thickness of my hair, it was not long enough to do the video buns. But I don't think video buns are the holy grail because, while they are quick, they are rather boring, IMHO. At that length, I frequently sectioned off a circle of the center scalp, and taking that hair, arranged curls, coils, victory rolls, whatever, right in the center. Then I would wrap the outside with a very thick cornrowed coronet or two. Cornrow braids/twists means you don't have to use pins except for the center curls and to anchor the end of the braid or twist.

For longer hair, one trick is layering the updo so that, for instance, there is a cornrow coronet braid, then a twist going the opposite direction on top over the braid, then curls stacked and artfully arranged on top of the twist, etc. Sometimes to decrease the height, I leave a hunk of side hair out, section it, and then twist or braid the sections for dangling swoops that anchor near the top of the updo. Stacked updos will make you stick out in today's society because they have a Marie-Antoinette or beehive look to them, but most people are fascinated by the seeming complexity.

Another basis for an updo is to section the hair from ear to ear. With the front hair, do curls, coils, rolls, etc. Twist up the back half into a French roll, or if ends are too thick to tuck into a roll, leave them out and artfully pin curl them along the part so as to cover it up.

For some reason, my hair feels lighter when sectioned and put up, versus the styles in the video buns. I think it is because the video buns usually originate from a single hunk of hair that is artfully twisted and arranged, and therefore the hair is not as compressed onto the scalp as happens with a more complex, sectioned updo. Also, there are usually only a few sticks or pins holding up a video bun so I feel the hair moving more so than with a sectioned updo that usually requires a lot more pins or jaw clips.

Lastly, I agree with meteor, headaches can be caused by so many things: stress, staring at a computer screen, lack of upper body muscles, etc. Might or might not be my hair. Or, maybe I just endure for vanity's sake!

meteor
September 12th, 2014, 11:31 AM

Lindenare, you can get U-pins at Sally's or many other stores locally. If you can, check them on sturdiness: some of them bend out of shape very quickly... which is why Amish pins are so valued for their high quality.
Another alternative to u-pins is using neutral-looking small claw-clips (look for the ones with exposed strong springs): sure, they aren't invisible like U-pins but they are convenient, easy to use and easy to find locally. They are good for clipping coronet braids, milkmaid braids and edges of updos.

Wow, Chiaroscuro, what a useful and great post! :D Are there any Internet sources or books that you used to experiment and learn the hairstyles for your thick hair? Any sources you'd recommend? Your hair-styling tricks sound great, and I'd definitely love to learn more, because quick video buns generally don't seem to work for me either.

Thanks a lot! :flower:

Chiaroscuro
September 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM
chen bao jun, thanks for the invite! I have read lots of the 4 thread, and I respect and love its presence, but I don't relate to many of the issues discussed there, maybe because my hair is locked, and tight curls are not an issue for me. I decided many years ago that I didn't want to spend time dealing with my tight curls. I wanted hair that would thrive with benign neglect, not revert after water sports, dance in the wind, bounce when curl set, swing when I walked, and look great in intricate updos--all without having to stretch out curls. Given what God/nature gave me, and for what I had in mind, I knew my best bet was medium-thin locks. I'm not in a hair length contest, so discussions about whether it is "really" long or just a bunch of locked short sheds are not interesting to me. Over 15+ years, I nursed it day and night, night and day, and assiduously avoided all evil till it is now finger tip length.

I don't know where I might fit in this community. I'm not really interested in discussions about curliness or locking. I am concerned mostly with length and weight issues--safety/legal issues, beautiful updos, jumbo accessories, long clips and pins, handling public attention, weightless products, and of course, handling the physical weight of the hair. I don't want to seem a poser and I don't want to go where I am not wanted, so for now I just contribute to a thread here and there on topics where I have had some experience. But if there is a particular group that addresses the issues I think about, and if they want me, I would very much love to join them!

BTW, thanks for asking for a pix. I love my hair, but I've learned to force myself to not care what others think of it, so maybe that's why I don't have a single picture that focuses on my hair. Maybe being at LHC will help me work on hair confidence. Thanks for reaching out, chen bao jun; I really appreciate it, and I enjoy seeing your posts!

Chiaroscuro
September 13th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Wow! meteor, thank you so very much for the attention, and for the very kind compliments. It doesn't get any better than a smile and a flower!!! Your questions put the spotlight on me unexpectedly, and I don't have any ready answers. I have never met anyone who wanted to know HOW I do what I do; I suppose because there are so few with long, thick hair who also want to go to the trouble of updos. Mostly, I do A LOT of adaptation. I'll just mention two videos to give an example of my adaptive thought process. And in future, when I come across ideas for thick haired beauties, I can share them.

But for now, please see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0
I like this updo because you only need to put 1/2-2/3 of your hair into a bun---the rest is compressed into a braid. So hopefully, even those with the thickest hair (long or shortish) can adapt this type of style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmt_F_dKSuM
The above will take a lot more adaptation. This is how I would think about it. This style is done in three layers. As you can see, the stylist has reserved some hair in duckbill clips. Next, regretfully, she begins her center rolls by backcomb teasing, which I am sure if you are on LHC is a big no-no for us all. My mind therefore goes to a way to make rolls without backcombing---the Conair Classic Vintage Roll Hair Styling Tool sold by Claires. They have a "buy 2 get 1 free" sale on now and you can see them at their online store. I just bought some of these, and am awaiting their arrival. If these bun rolls are too rough, they will have to be covered in a silk fabric close to my hair color before use. I will then try to use three in a circle to make the rolled ring as shown in the video until 3:00. Now for the crown area, I would make bantu knots instead of rolls because my hair is wooly enough to hold the knot--these knots are great because they don't require pins. But if you have type 1-3 hair, you will probably do rolls. I don't have type 1-3 hair so I am just throwing out suggestions--either roll and pin without backcombing, or can you create rolls around silky fabric covered cloth rollers? Now for the last layer--this will be tricky if your hair is very long. My hair is too long to stop at the top middle, so I would probably try to gather this last layer up into a thin French braid right down the top middle, and then arrange the tail decorously atop, or perhaps leave the tail dramatically cascading off the top like a whirling dervish tassel.

If anyone tries these dos, please let us know how they turn out, and I will do the same. A final word, I note the second video is made by a lady named "Yasmine". I have noticed that middle eastern and Indian women tend to post videos for long, thicker hair, so you might try searching for some ideas under "arabic" and "hair," etc...

Hugs, meteor!

Chiaroscuro
September 13th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Now back to the thread topic: weight. Lately, I started seeing an acupuncturist for slight numbness in my right hand pinky and ring fingers. I had seen her three times, and yesterday was the fourth. Interestingly, she asked me to consider if the weight of my hair might be so much that it is compressing my neck, and causing pinched nerve damage that is radiating to my fingers. BIG SIGH.... I don't know how to answer questions like that. Years ago, I went to a chiropractor for back pain (that has now passed though my hair is now much longer) and she questioned if the pain was due to hair length. I wonder if the oddity of the hair simply leads people to quick conclusions. I peer into a computer all day long, and my neck is bent. My job is very high stress much of the time so my shoulders carry a lot of tension. There are so many usual suspects when it comes to why I have a little nerve numbness. I'm just not ready to say it must be the hair. OR, maybe it is the hair. LOL!! One thing I'm going to try is something I recently read on LHC---I'm going to try pooling the hair in my lap when I sit---that might change the constant weight pulling the neck back.

Lindenare
September 14th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I think you can only find amish pins online or directly from Amish/Mennonite suppliers. I've never seen them in normal stores. Crimped hairpins are at Sally's though.

Yes, I do!

Lindenare, you can get U-pins at Sally's or many other stores locally. If you can, check them on sturdiness: some of them bend out of shape very quickly... which is why Amish pins are so valued for their high quality.
Another alternative to u-pins is using neutral-looking small claw-clips (look for the ones with exposed strong springs): sure, they aren't invisible like U-pins but they are convenient, easy to use and easy to find locally. They are good for clipping coronet braids, milkmaid braids and edges of updos.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check for U-pins at Sally's the next chance I get. If that's not successful, to the online sources it is! Meteor, I'm a bit uncertain about small claw clips, as my hair's broken virtually every small-medium clip of that type I've ever tried. However, maybe I didn't have enough for my hair. Something to look into.

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Chiaroscuro, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! :flowers: Those videos are great! :D The second one will take me some time to figure out, but the first one is perfect! I actually have been thinking of Regency styles for the last week or so, because I'm sure a combination of a bun and a few coronets/milkmaid-style braids will feel lighter on scalp than just a coronet or just a bun.

Also, if you haven't yet seen Janet Stephens' channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/jntvstp), I recommend checking it out. :) She recreates historical hairstyles, and I think they work particularly well on very thick and textured hair, because there is lots of sectioning. She uses a lot of hair sewing, but it will work equally well with U-pins, hair sticks, hair forks...
A variation of this Sine Crines Vestal hairstyle is great for distributing the weight of hair, because it uses 6 or 7 braids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9JYWh1r7U as well as this Cleopatra's braided updo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigGoRY_Nic
And Aphrodite knot works beautifully on textured, curly hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo

A while ago, I also posted a list of braided updos here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124183&p=2756756&viewfull=1#post2756756). They rely on sectioning and English braids, and I think they work particularly well on thicker hair.

Esperada
September 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I think mine will be over the 5" mark, I measured it the other day and it was a little over 4.5" however that didn't include my bangs which themselves are nearly an inch and I hate to admit it but I have a section of hair which broke off when I bleached it which is currently at a really awkward stage of sticking out everywhere so I've changed my parting to a side parting to hide it a bit. I would like to pile all my hair right on top of my head to measure the actual circumference of my hair but I find it very tricky to do.

Edited to add, just measured put my hair up right on top of my head in no pony and measured it, came to 6.6"
i don't think I find my hair that heavy but I wouldn't say it's long at the moment. The longest I've had it was classical but I never wore it up then, was always very uncomfortable with it in a pony so maybe it was due to the heaviness? When I sat down it would pool nicely in my lap and I never had problems with it like that.

i certainly never attempted any up dos with it though so can't comment at all on that.

Lindenare
September 14th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Chiaroscuro, thanks so much for the links and adaptation advice! I have trouble with many updos, so I'm always looking for alternatives to the few I can do. I especially like the first link, and I think I can use some of the techniques from the second one in other styles. I hope to try them out in the next few weeks. I'll be looking for more styles like this to adapt, too!

Now back to the thread topic: weight. Lately, I started seeing an acupuncturist for slight numbness in my right hand pinky and ring fingers. I had seen her three times, and yesterday was the fourth. Interestingly, she asked me to consider if the weight of my hair might be so much that it is compressing my neck, and causing pinched nerve damage that is radiating to my fingers. . . . I peer into a computer all day long, and my neck is bent. My job is very high stress much of the time so my shoulders carry a lot of tension.

It may or may not be your hair. I have the same issue periodically (perhaps not as severely as you, as it usually manifests as tingling), and it's usually caused by sleeping wrong or sore muscles pressuring a nerve. From what you've posted, that might be the culprit. I'm related to a physical therapist, who has advised me to gently stretch out the back of my neck when it becomes a problem. It's not chronic for me but rather occasionally recurring. My relative has also told me that if it ever becomes chronic, to invest in a cervical collar that fits and to wear it at night with the widest part in the back. This provides a gentle, sustained stretch to the back of the neck. Not being a medical professional or familiar with your health, I can't be sure of the exact cause, but maybe this info will help some.

I don't know where I might fit in this community. I'm not really interested in discussions about curliness or locking. I am concerned mostly with length and weight issues--safety/legal issues, beautiful updos, jumbo accessories, long clips and pins, handling public attention, weightless products, and of course, handling the physical weight of the hair. I don't want to seem a poser and I don't want to go where I am not wanted, so for now I just contribute to a thread here and there on topics where I have had some experience. But if there is a particular group that addresses the issues I think about, and if they want me, I would very much love to join them!

You may find some threads of interest in the Conventional Products and Hair Accessories section. I've been following a few threads there to figure out which hair toys might work best for me and what sizes I might need (answer seems to be the bigger the better). There are also some threads that are helpful in finding places that make accessories for very long or thick hair. I've also seen many of the topics that you've mentioned come up in the Mane Forum; I, for one, would welcome your input.

darklyndsea
September 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Now back to the thread topic: weight. Lately, I started seeing an acupuncturist for slight numbness in my right hand pinky and ring fingers. I had seen her three times, and yesterday was the fourth. Interestingly, she asked me to consider if the weight of my hair might be so much that it is compressing my neck, and causing pinched nerve damage that is radiating to my fingers. BIG SIGH.... I don't know how to answer questions like that. Years ago, I went to a chiropractor for back pain (that has now passed though my hair is now much longer) and she questioned if the pain was due to hair length. I wonder if the oddity of the hair simply leads people to quick conclusions. I peer into a computer all day long, and my neck is bent. My job is very high stress much of the time so my shoulders carry a lot of tension. There are so many usual suspects when it comes to why I have a little nerve numbness. I'm just not ready to say it must be the hair. OR, maybe it is the hair. LOL!! One thing I'm going to try is something I recently read on LHC---I'm going to try pooling the hair in my lap when I sit---that might change the constant weight pulling the neck back.

I sometimes have numbness and tingling in my right pinky and ring fingers, too, but for me the cause is easily traceable to using a computer mouse too much.

Chiaroscuro
September 21st, 2014, 03:03 PM
It may or may not be your hair. I have the same issue periodically (perhaps not as severely as you, as it usually manifests as tingling), and it's usually caused by sleeping wrong or sore muscles pressuring a nerve. From what you've posted, that might be the culprit. I'm related to a physical therapist, who has advised me to gently stretch out the back of my neck when it becomes a problem. It's not chronic for me but rather occasionally recurring. My relative has also told me that if it ever becomes chronic, to invest in a cervical collar that fits and to wear it at night with the widest part in the back. This provides a gentle, sustained stretch to the back of the neck. Not being a medical professional or familiar with your health, I can't be sure of the exact cause, but maybe this info will help some. .

Lindenare and darklynsea Thank you both so much. I'll start doing neck stretches for computer users, and keep in mind the neck brace.

Chiaroscuro
September 21st, 2014, 03:54 PM
Also, if you haven't yet seen Janet Stephens' channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/jntvstp), I recommend checking it out. She recreates historical hairstyles, and I think they work particularly well on very thick and textured hair, because there is lots of sectioning. She uses a lot of hair sewing, but it will work equally well with U-pins, hair sticks, hair forks...
A variation of this Sine Crines Vestal hairstyle is great for distributing the weight of hair, because it uses 6 or 7 braids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9JYWh1r7U as well as this Cleopatra's braided updo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigGoRY_Nic
And Aphrodite knot works beautifully on textured, curly hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo

A while ago, I also posted a list of braided updos here. They rely on sectioning and English braids, and I think they work particularly well on thicker hair.

meteor, THANK YOU for all these! They would all be great for thick hair. They have definetly given me some new ideas. I'm tempted to play around with the Vestal one--the way they hide the center part would be really great for me because my locks don't have perfectly straight parts between them.

chen bao jun
September 21st, 2014, 07:25 PM
I am so glad you have found a solution for you! You sound like you have a wonderful active lifestyle and as if your locs make you happy. There are many on this forum who admire locs and I know there is at least one other member with micro locs also (she has very pretty hair, I forget her name at the moment). I hope you get confident enough to post a photo or two eventually. I am impressed with your dedication to grow fingertip length locs (15 years, that is so impressive) and would love to see your intricate updoes sometime.

chen bao jun, thanks for the invite! I have read lots of the 4 thread, and I respect and love its presence, but I don't relate to many of the issues discussed there, maybe because my hair is locked, and tight curls are not an issue for me. I decided many years ago that I didn't want to spend time dealing with my tight curls. I wanted hair that would thrive with benign neglect, not revert after water sports, dance in the wind, bounce when curl set, swing when I walked, and look great in intricate updos--all without having to stretch out curls. Given what God/nature gave me, and for what I had in mind, I knew my best bet was medium-thin locks. I'm not in a hair length contest, so discussions about whether it is "really" long or just a bunch of locked short sheds are not interesting to me. Over 15+ years, I nursed it day and night, night and day, and assiduously avoided all evil till it is now finger tip length.

BTW, thanks for asking for a pix. I love my hair, but I've learned to force myself to not care what others think of it, so maybe that's why I don't have a single picture that focuses on my hair. Maybe being at LHC will help me work on hair confidence. Thanks for reaching out, chen bao jun; I really appreciate it, and I enjoy seeing your posts!

chen bao jun
September 21st, 2014, 07:33 PM
I will look at your video later (my power is about to run out) but I quickly want to say, don't trust people who say that the weight of your hair is causing numbness and/or neck pain. I have the horror story of my neighbor with the kneelength plus hair (the only person I have ever known who had such long hair in real life) who was convinced to cut her hair by doctors and then it turned out the pain had nothing to do with her hair at all and still continued. Try strengthening, a back rest
http://www.easierliving.com/obus-forme-lowback-backrest-support.html?zmam=86643332&zmas=1&zmac=11&zmap=24207&gclid=CJ6g78bW88ACFWoR7AodGyIAig
stretches (physical therapists give out good ones) and some massages. I have the same issue of a pinched nerve and it started when my hair was very short (and I still don't have anything like long hair but have to keep on guard to keep the numbness away)

Chiaroscuro
September 21st, 2014, 09:14 PM
Thank you so much for your support, chen bao jun. Years ago, I think on the old LHC site, there was a list of precautions for long hairs. I have frequently, gratefully recalled those precautions because I have encountered many of the situations the list described. Mostly the list warned about the jealousy and negativity of others. For instance, it cautioned that people can sneak up behind you with scissors---and yes, I have had a relative "chase" me with scissors. I think doctors just tend towards suspicion against anything different, and they don't realize the psychological trauma of a sudden, big hair chop.

I'm going to take your advice, and try massages. I already have an ergonomic chair, and I just got the exercises from the doctor. I'm now trying not to lean on my arms while typing.

I'm not going to cut my hair yet. As I told earlier, I once had back pain, and the doctor told me it was my hair---and now the back pain is gone even though my hair is much longer. Again, THANKS, for the support! I appreciate it so very much!

***On another note, here is a style long, thick hairs can try to adapt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJ0sNtTfcY

chen bao jun
September 22nd, 2014, 07:47 AM
***On another note, here is a style long, thick hairs can try to adapt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJ0sNtTfcY

WOW. That's a lot of product, hair pads, hair extensions, backcombing and I don't know what all else. Fascinating to me that people do all that to basically end up with a facsimile of the uncontrollable hair that I am always trying to control (while people with my hair type do just about as much to try to get a facsimile of the smooth hair that she started with).

The hairstyle itself is very pretty. From what I can see, what it basically is (if you don't have to totally change your hairtype first) 1. part your hair horizontally across your head, leaving two thirds in the back and about 1/3 in the front. 2. Part the front of your hair in five sections and make five french braids, braiding all the way to the ends of hair. Use elastics to secure the ends of the french braids, if needed. (curlies like me won't need them) 3. Taking the 3 middle top french braids, start french braiding your whole head of hair loosely (with the exception of the two side french braids), incorporating the 2/3 of hair left unbraided in the back 4) when you get to the nape of your neck, include the two final side braids into the big french braid also. When you finish the giant french braid, cut out any elastics still in your hair, and secure the bottom with a new elastic, if needed.

I'd love to see someone in this thread try this. I have enough hair so far as thickness and the right texture to accomplish this easily with my natural hair (no dry shampoo, hairspray or backcombing needed), but I do NOT have the length. I will try it later this week and post photos if it works at all, but I can tell right now, I will have a braid stub, not a braid--if the whole thing reaches as far as my shoulders, I would be surprised. My hair is below bra strap stretched but just a normal braid (not french) reaches to about APL--french braids do go on a little longer than that, but as I'm saying, I need to grow probably a couple feet more hair for that to look anything like what the girl who demonstrated it ended up with.

chen bao jun
September 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
On another note, relatives chasing you around with scissors--that's a horror story. I do not think scissors around my hair or scissors jokes are funny at all. As a bullied child, I had other girls at school threaten to cut my hair off (it was BSL but that was long enough to provoke envy and rage and violence) and I just have no words so far as that kind of thing happened at home among relatives, a place that should be a haven and peace and safety.

chen bao jun
September 22nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
I love #1 and am going to try it later this week. It does seem made for those with thick hair.
as for #2, as a type 3c, I could do the rolls in the middle as rolls the same way she does, with no backcombing needed, they would just stay up with roller pins. (But my hair is shorter. I wonder about those of you with very long hair) then I could smooth the rest of the hair over it. But I think I wouldn't--I don't like this style at all. I am always trying to avoid looking like I have a extra head or some deformity up there--I gave up French rolls after a certain length because with my thick hair, they were just too huge to look good. This looks like the same sort of thing. Again, the grass is greener seems to apply--I'm always trying to get rid of extreme volume (and I would guess that a lot of you ladies are, too), so doing something that adds volume like this hairstyle does is just not for me.
Keep them coming chiaroscuro, this is great.
I also hope we see people trying these kinds of styles and action shots.

Wow! meteor,
But for now, please see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0
I like this updo because you only need to put 1/2-2/3 of your hair into a bun---the rest is compressed into a braid. So hopefully, even those with the thickest hair (long or shortish) can adapt this type of style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmt_F_dKSuM
The above will take a lot more adaptation. This is how I would think about it. This style is done in three layers. As you can see, the stylist has reserved some hair in duckbill clips. Next, regretfully, she begins her center rolls by backcomb teasing, which I am sure if you are on LHC is a big no-no for us all. My mind therefore goes to a way to make rolls without backcombing---the Conair Classic Vintage Roll Hair Styling Tool sold by Claires. They have a "buy 2 get 1 free" sale on now and you can see them at their online store. I just bought some of these, and am awaiting their arrival. If these bun rolls are too rough, they will have to be covered in a silk fabric close to my hair color before use. I will then try to use three in a circle to make the rolled ring as shown in the video until 3:00. Now for the crown area, I would make bantu knots instead of rolls because my hair is wooly enough to hold the knot--these knots are great because they don't require pins. But if you have type 1-3 hair, you will probably do rolls. I don't have type 1-3 hair so I am just throwing out suggestions--either roll and pin without backcombing, or can you create rolls around silky fabric covered cloth rollers? Now for the last layer--this will be tricky if your hair is very long. My hair is too long to stop at the top middle, so I would probably try to gather this last layer up into a thin French braid right down the top middle, and then arrange the tail decorously atop, or perhaps leave the tail dramatically cascading off the top like a whirling dervish tassel.

If anyone tries these dos, please let us know how they turn out, and I will do the same. A final word, I note the second video is made by a lady named "Yasmine". I have noticed that middle eastern and Indian women tend to post videos for long, thicker hair, so you might try searching for some ideas under "arabic" and "hair," etc...

Hugs, meteor!

meteor
September 22nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Chiaroscuro, chen bao jun, I'm horrified to hear your stories of being chased by friends and family members with scissors! :( That's just terrible! Hugs to you, guys! :grouphug:

I love #1 and am going to try it later this week. It does seem made for those with thick hair. [...]
Keep them coming chiaroscuro, this is great.
I also hope we see people trying these kinds of styles and action shots.

Well, I can't seem to do #2 (my hair might be too long for rolls to hold up - I'd need to figure out how to make it work), but I tried #1 in a few variations, and I love it. The really big headband braids have trouble holding up without chunky jaw-clips (which look bad), so I did it with micro-braids instead. Sorry, it doesn't look Regency :oops: , but it is a very comfortable style! Thank you, Chiaroscuro, for bringing this style to our attention!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13160&d=1411077169

I'd love to see someone in this thread try this. I have enough hair so far as thickness and the right texture to accomplish this easily with my natural hair (no dry shampoo, hairspray or backcombing needed), but I do NOT have the length. I will try it later this week and post photos if it works at all, but I can tell right now, I will have a braid stub, not a braid--if the whole thing reaches as far as my shoulders, I would be surprised. My hair is below bra strap stretched but just a normal braid (not french) reaches to about APL--french braids do go on a little longer than that, but as I'm saying, I need to grow probably a couple feet more hair for that to look anything like what the girl who demonstrated it ended up with.

This sounds very, very cool, but unfortunately I literally can't French-braid my hair, it's way too complicated :oops:. Actually, the shorter the hair, the easier it is to French-braid (less opportunity to get ends entangled and self-braided), and if you can do it, chen, it will be really awesome! I really hope this gorgeous style works out for you! I'd love to see pictures, too! :D

Chiaroscuro
September 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
meteor, I LOVED the pix, moreover, I'm glad you have found an updo that will work with your hair! It looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback, chen bao jun!

I think this style
http://www.princesshairstyles.com/search/label/4th%20Of%20July
and its cousin
http://www.princesshairstyles.com/search/label/Buns
might be great for thick-haired beauties. Seems the size of the bun (mega, x-large, large, medium, etc.) could be adjusted to the length of hair. I would need to see if I could get it secure without a too-tight pony tail.... I just bought a mega bun from Claires...hmmmm...

meteor
September 22nd, 2014, 06:38 PM
Thank you so very much for your kind words, Chiaroscuro! :flowers:

And wow! Those buns are exquisite! :thud: Thank you for finding them and posting them here, chiaroscuro! :D

I'll try to adapt my hair to them once my bunning skills get better.
What I love so much about this thread is that everybody is so eager to share great tips and updo ideas that are rare and absolutely gorgeous! I would never have found them on my own. Thank you so much, guys! :flower:

chen bao jun
September 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
Love this, meteor! Your hair looks great.
Yes, I can still french braid, my hair is still short enough that I can do that, though I have started to get some end tangling if I'm not careful. I will try the hairstyle later in the week (but I warned you about the braid stub lol)
Oh, by the way, no family members have ever chased me around with scissors. I was threatened by strangers, which is quite different.

Chiaroscuro, chen bao jun, I'm horrified to hear your stories of being chased by friends and family members with scissors! :( That's just terrible! Hugs to you, guys! :grouphug:

Well, I can't seem to do #2 (my hair might be too long for rolls to hold up - I'd need to figure out how to make it work), but I tried #1 in a few variations, and I love it. The really big headband braids have trouble holding up without chunky jaw-clips (which look bad), so I did it with micro-braids instead. Sorry, it doesn't look Regency :oops: , but it is a very comfortable style! Thank you, Chiaroscuro, for bringing this style to our attention!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13160&d=1411077169

This sounds very, very cool, but unfortunately I literally can't French-braid my hair, it's way too complicated :oops:. Actually, the shorter the hair, the easier it is to French-braid (less opportunity to get ends entangled and self-braided), and if you can do it, chen, it will be really awesome! I really hope this gorgeous style works out for you! I'd love to see pictures, too! :D

Chiaroscuro
September 23rd, 2014, 04:53 AM
Here is Torrin on getting up thick hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w