PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: hairspray vs mousse vs....????

Atlantic
January 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I am a total newbie to proper hair care, and I hope someone can help with what I am sure is a very, very stupid question:

I have fine, wispy hair, and lots of shorter ends. When I put my hair up, it looks fine, but a few hours later, short wispy ends (from 0 to about 8 inches) are falling out on either side of my face, and it looks really messy.

What is the best way to control this that looks as natural as possible and doesn't leave too much gunk on my hair? I thought mousse might be good, as I could also use some volume, but since all I know about hair is that I don't know anything, I'd really appreciate any help that you can give!

dearladydisdain
January 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Aloe vera gel works well as an alternative to hairspray/other gels. :) It is natural and good for your hair as well.

Catladyintown
January 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Welcome Atlantic I would try Flax seed gel. You can find a simple recipe for flax seed gel in the recipe forum or search, at the top right hand of the screen.

Alia
January 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I use a mix from this board: clear aloe gel, a squirt of conditioner, and enough distilled water to make it spray-able. It make a most excellent hairspray alternative.:)

chrissy-b
January 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I find that a mix of conditioner, aloe and shea butter works well as a styling product, but I often resort to an alcohol free hair spray on my bangs on most days. It's not drying and I don't see any damage as I keep it off my length.

spidermom
January 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I use Natures Gate styling putty. A little goes a long way, and it smoothes down those messy shorter hairs and frizz like nothing else I've tried.

Atlantic
January 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you all very much for your help! I think I will try making flax seed gel first...I have a weakness for homemade stuff, especially if I already have the ingredients. :)