PDA

View Full Version : More Ambush Makeovers

wintersun99
January 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM

MemSahib
January 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry, wintersun, but I dislike the whole premise of "ambush" makeovers. If I want a makeover, I'll ask for it. Otherwise, back off.

slz
January 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
OMG some just make me so sad - the way the turn great looking women into caricatures of over-made up "american beauties" - huh ><.

(edit : particularly this one (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090102-ambushmakover-lady1-after.hlarge.jpg) )

wintersun99
January 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM

BlurBerryBuzz
January 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I suppose, but it bothers me that the before shots have such poor lighting and the ladies all seem to have heavy winter coats on. It also bothers me when curly hair is straightened. It doesn't seem like the real woman.
That being said, I love a great makeover and have been a huge fan of BBC's What Not to Wear with Trinny and Susanah. Five years ago I took the plunge and had all my hair cut off and dyed. It was thrilling for awhile. It was so short that I couldn't put it in a ponytail. After two weeks I committed to growing it back out...lol

Islandgrrl
January 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
True, some are okay. But some are just horrible. Really.

manderly
January 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
OMG some just make me so sad - the way the turn great looking women into caricatures of over-made up "american beauties" - huh ><.

(edit : particularly this one (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090102-ambushmakover-lady1-after.hlarge.jpg) )

Ewwwwwwwww. She looked like Jennifer Connely before.....and some scary Marie Osmond/whatsherface Rinna afterwards.

slz
January 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
many came out looking "commercial" and not "individual" if that makes sense.
Yep that's what I meant.
Also, what's with the cutting of any hair that's below shoulder length ?

Beloved
January 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Slz, that woman looks 10 years older in her after!

smilinjenn71
January 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I, personally love make over shows. In *most* cases the women and/or men are ready for a change and go into the situation looking forward to seeing the changes made.

The ones that already had shorter hair just looked better because some time was taken to make the cut look nice. I think the same can be said of long hair. You can have the most fabulous hair but if it looks scraggly, well... it just looks scraggly.

Not trying to offend anyone here but these shows do a lot of good for a lot of people. Sometimes you just need someone to help you see yourself in a different light. I think these shows tend to boost people's confidence and self esteem. IMHO, that can't be all bad.:)

NiAosSi
January 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I think they ruined the one with the gray hair. She was beautiful as is. Grey hair is wonderful.

wintersun99
January 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM

slz
January 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
OMG - OMG !!!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=125#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Michou
January 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I think many of the women look great in their 'after' shots, I really agree about the one that you linked to, I think she looks so truly lovely before the makeover. I wonder how many of these women just needed a good facial and a day at the spa, pampering lifts the spirits.

Jamme
January 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, a LOT of the women looks MUCH older in the after pictures. I admit some do look better, but that's a minority. The solution all over seem to be "cut a bob and add highlights" - sorry stylists, but that just doesn't apply to everyone.

Michou
January 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
OMG - OMG !!!

I know! My jaw dropped!

I like this woman with the lighter hair and lipstick, very cute look.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=76#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Another one I like, I think the darker hair suits her beautifully!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=92#tdy_ambush_makeovers

slz
January 26th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, a LOT of the women looks MUCH older in the after pictures.
Due to unnecessary TRUCKLOADS of make up I think. That's the worst part IMO, when added to unnecessary cutting of long hair it's just tooo saaaaddd.
Edited to add : sure there are some successful makeovers, but I prefer to concentrate on the butchered ones - that's juste me , hehehe :eyebrows:

Nightshade
January 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I also love how in the before shots they have
- dumpy clothes
- no makeup
- look as though they haven't even so much as brushed their hair

Not really a fair comparison to what a "new cut and color" does, imho.

dearladydisdain
January 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Wow...that one is sad. I'm usually a big fan of makeover shows and a lot of these women look good but the "hair dye virgin" thing is annoying. Also the "ambush" thing, a little...

NiAosSi
January 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I also love how in the before shots they have
- dumpy clothes
- no makeup
- look as though they haven't even so much as brushed their hair

Not really a fair comparison to what a "new cut and color" does, imho.

I was thinking the same thing. It's like these people are props and the camera crew tousles them up. Making them frumpier than they are in real life. That woman with the long hair was beautiful. She would've looked better with a nice braid or updo. Which, she probably had and they just made her take it down or something.:(

Raven69
January 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
WHAT THE HECK??? What's up with taking not only BSL and shorter and making it even shorter - and dressing some of these ladies in sleeveless/off the shoulder outfits? I would never wear something like that in my lifetime!!!! Let alone wear that much makeup - since when did bright blue eye shadow (clown makeup) make its way back? One woman they had her wear something that showed her cleavage...not something a woman her age should wear...escpecially if she has kids!!!

JamieLeigh
January 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry, wintersun, but I dislike the whole premise of "ambush" makeovers. If I want a makeover, I'll ask for it. Otherwise, back off.

Could not have said it better myself! (But I'll try! LOL...just kidding! ;) )

Of course, one always has the power to say no, unless there's a deeper problem at root, psychologically. As in, that these women are so desperate to feel liked or pretty, that they'll just go along with something they don't want, are unsure about, or are not ready for. And I also say shame on the people who suggest that these makeovers be done, because that's encouraging other people to judge by looks...which should never be done.

Johanna
January 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Looking at the before shots of alot of these women, it seems like allot of them would look fantastic if they dressed for their bodyshape, complexion and added in a little individual accessories to reflect their character. Learning how to do flattering minimal makeup that suits you is one of the most beneficial things to learn to give yourself a more flattering look. Seriously who looks good with a smearing of makeup on their face?

While some people do enjoy a complete overhaul, I like the idea of learning how to look fantastic with what you've got before starting to do more drastic things like huge cuts and colours. One step at a time is much less overwhealming, and you're more likely to slowly settle into a better routine than having to try learn to upkeep everything at once.

I must admit though, I do see some women in the street that I just want to drag away for a makeover. No please dont wear your scrunchy socks over the top of your boots, no not the knitted jumper with the kitten on it! The leggings the LEGGINGS!

Beatnik Guy
January 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
OMG - OMG !!!

Heidi was visiting New York with her fiancé, Phil, when she decided to come to the Plaza to stand among the TODAY Show crowd. We spotted her right away! This 35-year-old registered nurse from Hawaii hasn’t cut her hair since she was 6 years old.
Run away, run away..... :(

lapushka
January 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
OMG why do so many women look 20 years older with their make-overs?

lapushka
January 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
O no! Look at these beautiful curls... gone! :(
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=82#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Kleis
January 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Wow, in the one you linked to, she just looks shocked. That's not a smile in the after pic.

JamieLeigh
January 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=90#tdy_ambush_makeovers

This one didn't look happy either. She looked surprised and slightly dismayed, yet trying to be happy for the camera. :( They cut off 10 inches!!! I understand not being happy about that!!!

dorothea-brooke
January 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
OMG - OMG !!!

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

:wail:

I almost couldn't bring myself to click on the After picture.... I knew what it would be.... And yet --

:justy:

smilinjenn71
January 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Whether people want to admit it or not... and whether it's right or not.... We ARE judged on a daily basis on how we dress, what we do with our hair/makeup, etc. These are the facts. I didn't make the rules I just live by them.:p

Magicknthenight
January 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
All these shows..arg. Their kinda offensive. I mean it's nice that their trying to help them but they say really insulting things sometimes on shows like this. Or if they don't pick the right outfit by their selves the stylists freak.
Or how their friends can be kind of horrible. I was watching this one where these 2 friends put this girl on the show. The whole time going through her clothes laughing and making mean comments. I had to wonder if they were really doing it to help her or to get a kick. she had really pretty long hair. They cut it off and died it a different shade. and made it straighter. the girl was even wondering if they were really friends. Didn't seem like it to me.
I dunno if i was having a bad day or running late and just threw whatever on and someone came up to me asking if they could give me a makeover? pfft yea that makes people feel good about theirs selves! "hi wow you need a makeover!"
my computer is slow so this site isn't really loading well..but for example the first picture "so low that she's had the same look since the third grade, her friends say." some friends:rolleyes:

Whether people want to admit it or not... and whether it's right or not.... We ARE judged on a daily basis on how we dress, what we do with our hair/makeup, etc. These are the facts. I didn't make the rules I just live by them.
true we are judged. however it doesn't mean I'm gonna run to the store and try to dramatically change myself. besides people that can't get over judging me probably aren't important to me anyways.

Coriander
January 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow... I'm going through these photos right now and I'm just sad.

A lot of these "before" pictures looks like they made the women bite into sour lemons and get run over by trucks before they took the photos.

And a lot of the after photos look like they've given them too much caffeine or Xanax (no offense to Xanax users).

I seem to remember from a couple of years ago, wasn't there a LHC member who was on "What Not To Wear"? She fought back every step of the way when they tried to cut her hair. Loved her.

DragonLady
January 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I think it's all about attention.

I think of myself travelling to New York for some reason. I think of the hassels of reservations and tickets and making plans for the time, getting myself and DH packed, getting the kids packed and repacked and repacked, the hassels of the trip itself, arriving and trying to sleep/shower/eat/relax/ at the same time....

They arrive at the sets of these shows looking exhausted and frumpy because that's how they feel. Then, suddenly all eyes are on them -something that NEVER happens. And so, embarrassed, intimidated and downright scared they let themselves be talked into things they would never otherwise agree to.

And then these people take advantage of all that to shove products and clothes on them. ;(

I loved the Hawaiian girls hair. Now tell me why they couldn't give her the nice make up and pretty blouse without cutting her hair? She'd look just as beautiful with a french twist.

lapushka
January 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM
true we are judged. however it doesn't mean I'm gonna run to the store and try to dramatically change myself. besides people that can't get over judging me probably aren't important to me anyways.

Amen to that!

Kleis
January 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Whether people want to admit it or not... and whether it's right or not.... We ARE judged on a daily basis on how we dress, what we do with our hair/makeup, etc. These are the facts. I didn't make the rules I just live by them.:p

And then there are those of us who don't live by them. :toast:

The thing is, there's no standard to judging. Put ten people in a room and they're all going to think something different from one another. So...I'm not sure where to go with your statement.

Yes, we're all judged. Should we do anything about it? Well, maybe if they're paying my salary. :shrug: Otherwise, we all do what we want to do with our hair, clothes, etc. The sad thing is selling people a line that changing into something other than how they are is going to improve their lives. They're often left with being. ..well, just themselves again, but with a change that didn't come from their own heart.

I know that for me, whenever I let someone influence me into a change that didn't come from my own desires, it's usually short-lived and superficial. Luckily, I've never let anyone talk me into anything that wasn't change-BACKable easily. :lol:

Themyst
January 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM

I think of myself travelling to New York for some reason. I think of the hassels of reservations and tickets and making plans for the time, getting myself and DH packed, getting the kids packed and repacked and repacked, the hassels of the trip itself, arriving and trying to sleep/shower/eat/relax/ at the same time....

They arrive at the sets of these shows looking exhausted and frumpy because that's how they feel. Then, suddenly all eyes are on them -something that NEVER happens. And so, embarrassed, intimidated and downright scared they let themselves be talked into things they would never otherwise agree to.

And then these people take advantage of all that to shove products and clothes on them. ;(

I loved the Hawaiian girls hair. Now tell me why they couldn't give her the nice make up and pretty blouse without cutting her hair? She'd look just as beautiful with a french twist.

I so agree.

I'm just thinking of how awful those women are going to look when they get back home and can't maintain their new hairdos (keeping in mind that most of these women were not the type to fuss with their hair to begin with). Really, it was the makeup that made these women appear more 'fresh'.

I look awful in the morning. You could take my awful 'before' picture, then give me my Twinings English Breakfast Tea, let me wash up, put my hair up, and apply my makeup and ... voila! My 'after' picture will be pretty and fresh. You can wash off makeup, but coercing someone into a haircut is just downright dirty.:rant:

DragonLady
January 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I know that for me, whenever I let someone influence me into a change that didn't come from my own desires, it's usually short-lived and superficial.

Amen! Over the years, I let many, many people push me into changes that didn't come from my own desires or even further my own goals. I always regretted them.

Now, I don't let anyone push me. A lesson I should've learned in my 'teens. Honestly, some of the worst mistakes of my life were shoved on me by my "loving" parents, who made decisions for me that I've never been able to undo. :( I didn't learn, and didn't learn, and didn't learn. And I paid for that with every currency my life has afforded.

Well, now I've learned. I refused to be pushed into any more lousy decisions based on what someone else thinks I should do with my life, my children, my husband, my job, my paychecks...and certainly not my hair or my body.

Yes; we're judged. We always will be. But those judgements don't carry sentences, and we don't have to serve time or pay the fines. We decide what path to take, and we live with our own decisions. In that way, we're free. And if that freedom comes with a few wrinkled noses or disapproving comments, so be it.

Beloved
January 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Not trying to offend anyone here but these shows do a lot of good for a lot of people. Sometimes you just need someone to help you see yourself in a different light. I think these shows tend to boost people's confidence and self esteem. IMHO, that can't be all bad.:)

Oh, I think they're fun when the person wants a new look. But I have seen people pressured to make major changes, like a drastic hair cut, and I don't like to see that.

Alia
January 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
They all seem to get the same layered, straight, short cut, lotsa makeup, an open-necked blouse, and a large, chunky necklace, bleh.:rolleyes:

DragonLady
January 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Beloved, I'm sooo stealing your siggy for mine at my sewing board! :)

Darkhorse1
January 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Actually, I love how they did the woman with the long hair here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=126#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Finally, they kept it longer with layers rather than doing a stupid bob!! She's a beautiful girl so she can pass off any hair style.

Darkhorse1
January 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I think makeover shows are fun to watch, and if the people are game for them, I don't see the harm. You either say yes or no. I figure these people get a good outfit and style for free, so that's kinda fun. My mom said she'd do it. I said I wouldn't. We often joked at how these ambush people would assault me because of my hair length and attire (always in riding gear), but I'm quite happy with who I am, and don't want a change. My mom loves to shop/get new clothes/look/hair style, so we always joked and said I'd tell them to take mom. :D

dorothea-brooke
January 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Actually, I love how they did the woman with the long hair here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=126#tdy_ambush_makeovers

Finally, they kept it longer with layers rather than doing a stupid bob!! She's a beautiful girl so she can pass off any hair style.

Yeah, I agree it's not quite as bad as some of the others....

But I still prefer the long hair! :wail:

Schmoomunitions
January 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Why do they keep giving everyone that same blond hair and blue eyeshadow. eww. Especially the people with dark hair, like theyre going to go get their roots done every month. But then boredom can make you do crazy dangerous things.

amiaow
January 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I might be going against the grain here but I think the Hawaiian lady looks MUCH better with the new hairdo- while her old hair was extremely long, it was really swamping her head- she looks absolutely radiant with the new look.

Sorry to say that I agree about most of the others... and those hairdos will be hell to style once they are at home! :(

DaveDecker
January 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Why does NBC insist on portraying only a singular perspective on hair? Really, they are just allowing this one man to use them to suit his own personal tastes. Have you seen this man on TV? I mean, seriously, why have they deemed him to be the czar of hair? :rolleyes: (Besides, his perspective on hair just plain sucks.)

MountainGypsy
January 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Grrrr :brickwall like most makeover shows, every curly girl that I saw on there was made over into a straight hairstyle!

This one really broke my heart:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=82#tdy_ambush_makeovers

:cry:

sklent
January 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
They made them all look like newscasters!

suicides_eve
January 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM
lol i am skipping to this last page after reading the OP.

Holy crap !! i didn't know this show was still on!! i love it!! i used to watch it all the time back in the day (2001 or so )!!
i think they can do very amazing things on some ppl. i don't always agree about the hair and color choices but................... the ppl have their own right to refuse the stylist to do so.. not everyone worries about a hair cut or color.... i never gave a rats A$$ before finding this site, and if wasn't for this is i probably still wouldn't.

i also agree that the hair styles would probbly be a pita to diy at home too.
man now i'm gonna have to look up when the show comes on

Girltron
January 27th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Feather Boa Lady looked so happy before, and so uncomfortable afterward. I notice they made her lose the feathers, too.

Each one began looking like a person who's comfortable in their own skin, and ended with dun-colored, poufy hair and a sequined sweater set. Not to mention the TV-announcer makeup.

The girl who's getting married looks like she's going to cry. No time to grow out that hideous color before her wedding, either.

mellie
January 27th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I agree with Sklent - they made them ALL look like newscasters!

They all look older, dowdier, and very commercial/blah/assimilated!

Loviatar
January 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Did they give them all fabulous new eyesight with their 'makeovers'? :rant: I look just as hawt in my glasses as I do without them, and so did some of those girls. The girl called Kate with black framed glasses and the "will donate her hair to cancer charity" (sigh) blurb looked much foxier in the before pic.

Don't get me started on some of them.

I despair at what passes for the epitome of beauty these days. Chop and dye the long hair, relax and bleach the Afro hair, get rid of the glasses, spraytan everyone to death, cake them in makeup, add hideous fake jewellery and homogenise everyone into some Miss America Newsreader blob. :( Bleh.

I dont watch these shows. I guess I shouldnt view the pics either. :oops: *gets off soapbox* It makes me sad.

dorothea-brooke
January 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
WHAT IS WITH ALL THE BLUE EYE SHADOW? :justy:

If you are over 16 years old, put the blue eye shadow down and slowly back away.... :demon:

minkstole
January 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
What&#180;s the big deal? As I understand it, these women stood in the audience of a makeovershow - the place where the participants were picked from. If they didn&#180;t want to be part of it, I&#180;m sure they would have said so, being grown women and all.

Some of them really looked good in the after picture, others not so much. I think many of the ladies aged 50+ got a bit of their sparkle back. Good for them!

Darkhorse1
January 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I really like the hawian girls new do. As a nurse, I'm sure she can tie it back, but is easier to manage. She looked good with it long and the new length.

Can anyone view the video of the Hawian girls' makeover? I can't seem to get it to upload.

Tressie
January 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM

What she said!!

Girltron
January 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, all the eyeglass-wearers are squinting in their after-photos.

Many of these people are looking for some different kind of life change (new partner, new marriage, whatever) and I think in the insecurity of wanting a thing, they all think they should change who they are to get it.

It works about as well as this kind of thing usually works. Now they're looking for that new partner and dealing with a new personal identity too...look at their faces! Very few of them look like they're thinking "Wow! This is really ME!"

From an aesthetic standpoint, all these makeovers rely on: bleach, shorter hair, brighter eyeshadow colors, and primary colors in clothing choices. Eh. Maybe they should focus on choosing colors that complement the ladies' skin, eye, and haircolor and teaching them how to recognize the difference, instead of picking whatever's brightest and then matching the eye shadow.

katiana
January 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I actually think some of these woman look really great with their new "do's" ...I think some woman can really look great in bobs and just can look good in any do for that matter. I have seem some women with shorter hair that I just LOVE and would love to sport, but then I just know how much time it would take for me to take care of it...it usually changes my mind. It looks like these woman really wanted to be picked out and I agree, sometimes makeovers can really make you feel better about yourself.

Dez
January 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
some of them do look good. I like to watch what not to wear, it's humorous and they usually help a woman find what looks good for her body type. although i dislike that the hair usually gets cut and died. It's alot harder to keep up a new hair do that you're not used to, especially if you weren't the type to fuss with hair before. It just seems that they want to pass out as many 'makeovers' as possible so everything is generic.

wintersun99
January 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I like What Not to Wear for the clothing tips, but I usually turn to something else during hair and makeup, than I turn back for the final reveal :D

HildeMV
January 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Why do no makeover people appreciate long hair?

smilinjenn71
January 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Why do no makeover people appreciate long hair?
My opinion is an appreciation for long hair is *not* their goal. With any make over show, they are going for the "wow factor". How do you achieve that farily easily?? You cut the hair, of course!

Darkhorse1
January 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
1. Makeover shows have proven to boost ratings. People will super long hair will always bring in viewers.
2. Long hair to a hair sylist is like a blank canvas is to an artist. So many possibilities.

We love long hair because we see the creativity. A hair dresser sees long hair and sees all sorts of cuts/styles/movement etc. I quite enjoy watching hair stylists at work. It's very facinating to watch!! It's a true art.

MamaGigi
January 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I saw these pictures before the posts. I was appalled at the blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick on SOOO many people. I have never thought that blue was attractive on the eyes. Not only did they use poor color choices, but they did not accent the beautiful features these ladies had naturally. I'm a firm believer that if you want to wear makeup fine, but it should enhance your beauty not conceal it.

The only good thing I saw from the very long hair cuts was that many of them donated it to those who had lost their hair for wigs. I would love to see some stylist take someone with long hair and show her crowning glory off instead of showing it the scissors.

Sissy
January 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Some are ok... but others are really over the top. This lady for example, was really pretty before now she has this like dyed poofy short hairstyle.
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/tdy-081121-ambush-combo2.hlarge.jpg