PDA

View Full Version : Bangs or no bangs? (Pic comparison)

cosmogonic
March 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Well, my partner thinks everything I wear is fantastic, my friends are all guys who are too busy rolling PUGS with me in Eye of the Storm to discuss my hairstyle, and my mom had a spiked mullet in the 80s ON PURPOSE, so I desperately NEED your informed hairstyle opinions! I recently cut bangs out of my sideswept layers and can't decide whether a) they are objectively cute or b) they are flattering to my face. I am torn because on the one hand they seem ok and as my hair gets longer I'd like to give it some movement and style, but on the other, I'm starting to think my face is cuter with my forehead showing.

Before, with the sideswept layers pinned back:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=584&pictureid=6653

After:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=584&pictureid=6652

Arashi
March 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I think the bangs are cute, but all in all I think you look nicer without them. Then again, I think I may be biased against bangs, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. :)

KellieKay
March 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I like the bangs.

LuXious
March 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Those are the perfect bangs, in my opinion. Well, actually, I've grown mine out from babydoll bangs to almost exactly what you have, and I LOVE them, so I'm biased for them. Really, though, I think you just look better with them. They add mucho flare to your style. They're sexy.

Silver & Gold
March 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
You look so nice either way. I think you can do whatever your whim dictates.

heidihug
March 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I like the bangs, but I'm partial to bangs in general, as I have always had them. Pretty hair color, too!

Guenever
March 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hmm.. this is a hard one! :suspect: Normally I have a clear first impression, but here......
I really think that both look great.. they're different looks, but they suit your face very well..
The bangs makes you look a bit older, I think.. they're great and everyday like.. and would soften up the bun look, if you wear those often.. but you also look very pretty without them..

Sorry, I'm clearly not being very helpful here :lol:
But: at least it's a positive "problem" where you have found TWO styles that look good on you..

cassie_g
March 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I think both looks suit you. If you don't like them you can always grow them out.

Lixie
March 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM
You suit both with and without, but I like the look of you with bangs better. :)

dvas
March 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Honestly, both looks are great on you -- maybe with a *slight* preference for the bangs.

Poolsoflaughter
March 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I guess I'm going to agree with most of the others who have posted already and say:
I like both...the bangs are really cute, though. I'm jealous, because I can't pull them off with my tiny forehead. :) And hey, if you want to change up your look with bangs, you can always use some cute clips!

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I like the way you look both with and without them, but I think I like you with them just a wee bit more. I like the way they frame your face!

Marianne
March 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think both looks suit you really well, with a slight preference towards no fringe.

cosmogonic
March 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Ok, tallying up - that's 3 for the bangs, 1 for no bangs, two neutral on the bangs and some really sweet compliments which made my day, thank you! Bias is so far in favor of the fringe...

No wait, I am too slow, including those who also like both that's 7 for the bangs and 3 for no fringe. Bias still for the fringe.

Deborah
March 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I think your FACE looks prettier without the bangs. Your skin looks clear and glowing, and a little bit thinner. In the photo without the bangs, I immediately noticed your pretty face, but in the photo with the bangs, I immediately noticed your glasses. :flower:

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I think either way but the bangs a tiny bit better also. Tough one! You are just a pretty girl either way!

ReadingRenee
March 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
mm I think you are just one of those people that can look great either way. bangs or no bangs and so you get to decide how you feel like expressing yourself and your style. Lucky you. :D

cosmogonic
March 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Deborah, thank you for flipping the lightbulb on! I couldn't figure out what the change was that was bothering me, and I think that's it - bangs AND big rhinestoned glasses just end up really busy. Well, I like them fine right now, they are funky and fun and most people said they're cute, and they'll last at least a couple months before starting to fall to the side naturally - so I think I'll enjoy them until they grow out and then probably let them go at least to cheekbone. Thank you guys so much for helping me decide, I really appreciate it :)

And also, it isn't the bangs making me look chubbier haha, I'm PMSing and per usual retaining 6 pounds of water weight (no joke!) which always plumps my face out much more than gaining 40 pounds of real weight ever did.

eadwine
March 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I notice lips a lot because I am a lipreader.. you have Sandra Bullock lips I think hehe.

Both styles suit you in my eyes :)

maskedrose
March 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Well, my first reaction was: She looks like Natalie Portman! Hehe, as for the bangs, I like you with and without. The nice thing about bangs that are kinda long and sideswept is that you can clip them back for the no-bang look anytime you want :)

Hedera
March 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm putting in a vote for the 'no fringe' side!

You look great in both pictures, but I do prefer the one without, for some reason.

spidermom
March 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I love the bangs. Definite plus.

Sarahmoon
March 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I think both look good, but do you think bangs will be easy with all hairstyles you do? (bit biased against... lol)

redbark
March 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I like the bangs look much better. They soften the look around your forehead (like fuzzying them a bit...which doesn't work for all but seems to work for you exceptionally well).

You do look good either way but I have a clear leaning! :flower:

Let us know which you chose :)

Lamb
March 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM
You look so nice either way. I think you can do whatever your whim dictates.

Agreed! I couldn't decide which picture I like better, honestly. Perhaps the bangs make you look a little more "girlish", but that could also be because of the braid.

squiggyflop
March 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
i think you look nicer with bangs... it softens your face and makes you look less intimidating

Emme76
March 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I like both looks!!!! The bangs look a bit more "cute" while no bangs look a bit more strict.
I like them both - but I like to see your nice eyebrows :) so if I were to choose , I would probably say no bangs...
But weither way looks very nice. It depends alot on what kind of "look" you are going for.

Just as long as you feel good - that is what matters!!!:blossom:
/Emme

SparklePi
March 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Ditto what Deborah said, I agree.
But my vote is still for the bangs. They are PERFECT bangs!! I wish I could copy cat your bangs totally, but I'm afraid to lose any upper face space, LOL, since i've put on a few lbs and am gaining lower face space, haha. :P
Yay, you look great and Hooray for girls with glasses!!

SparklePi
March 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
P. S. did you cut them yourself, and how if so?? (i"m soo tempted...)

CurlyNinja
March 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I prefer the bangs, I think they look adorable and very stylish!

Robinlyn
March 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You have a very pretty face! Either style works for you. If you want a change, go with the bangs!

mellie
March 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I like the bangs!

hrimfaxi
March 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I think you look fantastic either way. :D

starfire
March 28th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Another vote for bangs!

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Both cute, but I prefer the bangs photo :D

jojo
March 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM
i am kinda undecided i like the fringe but then agagin i like you without, our one of them who looks good either way! lucky you

rubyann
March 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
You're just too pretty for your own good!

Fortunately, with the shape of your face, you can get away with just about any hairstyle and look great. I'm not a fringe person, but they do look very nice on you.

chloeishere
March 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
You are very cute with either style!
I think I personally prefer the no-bangs-- you have a very balanced face, neither your forehead nor your chin is noticably larger. It seems a crime to cover up such nice symmetry!

But you really are adorable either way, I'd say stick with whichever you prefer.
After a doublecheck... yep, I prefer no bangs.

I'm sure everyone disagrees with each other though, so do what you like!

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Well, my partner thinks everything I wear is fantastic, my friends are all guys who are too busy rolling PUGS with me in Eye of the Storm to discuss my hairstyle, and my mom had a spiked mullet in the 80s ON PURPOSE, so I desperately NEED your informed hairstyle opinions! I recently cut bangs out of my sideswept layers and can't decide whether a) they are objectively cute or b) they are flattering to my face. I am torn because on the one hand they seem ok and as my hair gets longer I'd like to give it some movement and style, but on the other, I'm starting to think my face is cuter with my forehead showing.

Before, with the sideswept layers pinned back:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=584&pictureid=6653

After:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=584&pictureid=6652

Hmmm...
That's a hard one.
I really like both, I think you could go either way.
The bangs that you have are the perfect bangs for you, but you look awesome without them as well.
I was trying to go the whole weekend without logging on to WOW.
You just HAD to go and mention it.
Now I have to decide what character to play on. BLEH at you. :p
/hijack

I like both, overall, I think i like you without bangs better, but if you want to keep the bangs, keep them like they are, those are the perfect bangs for you.

lisanoemi
March 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I like both looks, I personally don't like bangs but they do look good on you! Did you cut them yourself?

flame
March 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I like both but personally prefer the bangs!

GlassEyes
March 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Both are nice, but I like the bangs really.

lynnala
March 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I prefer without bangs, you have such beautiful skin and your forehead is gorgeous! I think you show the lovely shape of your face better without the bangs. But they look great too, lucky you!

Crysania
March 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I like without the bangs better

anna1850
March 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I think you can pull of either look. I slightly prefer with no bangs but you could go either way really. You're lucky, I used to have bangs and they looked so dorky on me but they look preety good on you.

longhairedfairy
March 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm usually not much of a "bangs" person, but on you I think I actually like them better. You look really cute either way, though:)

Deborah
March 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
"Deborah, thank you for flipping the lightbulb on!"

OOOO! I am so delighted that I could help you. :blossom:

Onebeauty
March 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I love the bangs on you! The cool thing is that the way you cut them you could still sweep them to the side and pin them back.

NightingaleLHC
March 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I think you look good both ways (sorry that wasn't helpful). But with bangs I guess you could technically pin them back anytime you want and look like you dont have them right? Maybe that is more versatile?

rubyredslippers
March 29th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Personally, I prefer the no-bangs, but I am also biased against bangs. It is a tough call, though.:cheese:

cosmogonic
March 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Thank you for all the opinions! I never expected to get this much help with my decision. For anybody who wanted to know, yes I did cut them myself, didn't really think to have anybody else do them - but I tend to mess with my hair a fair amount.

I took a look in the mirror before starting, checking out different shapes and amounts of bangs by bringing the ends up over my head. Then I washed my hair and towel-dried, used a comb to separate the hair that I wanted to make into bangs, and cut them pretty carefully with hairdressing shears at an angle on both sides from just below eyebrow level in the middle, to cheekbone level at the outside. So sort of a mild upside-down U much steeper at the outside than the middle. (Speaking personally I dislike this current trend for heavy bangs that are all one length straight across and stick down like a broom, they are almost never flattering and remind me of the horrible fringe I had as a child.) I left about 1/3 inch of length leeway to account for shrinkage while drying. To soften the edge I used the scissors to cut lightly into the edge of the fringe, like a tiny |\|\|\|\ sort of shape, brushed all the middle part to the left to dry, and brushed them into shape when they were almost dry. About two hours later I checked them with a fresh eye to see if they needed anything changed.

I am not nervous about doing stuff to my own hair so had no problem cutting bangs. People who are more concerned with how it might turn out probably would want to go more slowly or in stages with someone else watching and making recommendations, or just get them done professionally.

Again, I am planning to enjoy them while they last and then let them grow out to cheekbone-to-chin length framing layers. They are fun but not as flattering as framing layers on my face!

nissamholtz
March 31st, 2008, 09:30 PM
I prefer the bangs. They look great on you

AmandaPanda
April 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the little tutorial. That's sort of the look I'm going for after having blunt, eyebrow length bangs for years (and having people think I'm 5+ years younger than I really am)

KnightsLady
April 1st, 2008, 06:53 AM
Voting for no fringe. Your face is to pretty to cover up.

This should have been made in to a poll. It would be easier to get the tally...! :D

Chrissy
April 1st, 2008, 07:08 AM
I like the with bangs better. More than likely at that length you could still sweep them off your face for a no bang look.

wtchmel
April 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
better with bangs, but honestly you can pull off both looks, you have a really nice hairline. :)

Misso
April 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
I think you look cute with both, so do whatever you feel like doing.

MelLuna
April 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
I vote for bangs. It looks softer and makes you younger.:)

Rapunzelwannabe
August 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I love the bangs-they're like my ideal bangs actually lol. Do you put anything in them to make them look like that or are they that great naturally?

Bene
August 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM
generally, i'm anti-bangs (i'm spiteful because i don't have the forehead for them) but they look good on you, so i'mma say: yes to bangs

sexyjacksparrow
August 7th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I prefer you without personally. Though you look cute both ways :-)

Kerry xx