PDA

View Full Version : Growing Speed

FB
January 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I am almost to a big milestone in growing my hair out. Right now I am at 29.5 and I would like to go to 31 or 32 and then trim and just maintain my hair at 30 inches to get all the ends healthy. But right now I am kind of scared because I remember reading about those points in which your hair growth just seems to be dormant. One length was BSL and sholders.....so does anyone know if my hair is going to stall out for awhile right before it reaches waist lenght???? And if so is there anything I can do to keep my hair trucking along to 32 inches so I can reach another goal????? :confused:

OhioLisa
January 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
It's a personal thing. Some people don't have stalls at all. Some people have many. You're honestly just going to have to try it out. :shrug:

CaityBear
January 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I can't really help you much though I know where your coming from. My hair hasn't really done much stalling for me in my growing, but I'm about an inch or two from where I want to be and my hair hasn't seemed to be growing much lately.

sneakybea
January 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I think it's really an individual thing. My hair was stalled at BSL for years, then suddenly started growing again. In my case, I think it's genetic; my mother didn't cut her hair at all until she was twelve, and it never even grew to waist length.
I wouldn't let the fear of a stall keep you from growing. I think a vitamin regime can be helpful against those no growth stages.

rosie91
January 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Maybe you just notice it more when it's shorter because an inch is a lot compared to how long your hair is..

spidermom
January 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
The only times I've had significant stalls in growth were when my ends were in bad shape or I was having them trimmed too often.

Beloved
January 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
It's just people's perception that it stalls at BSL or shoulder. Hair doesn't "know" know long it is, hair cycles are marked by time not length.

jojo
January 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
but hair does have cycles and once it reaches a certain stage it will stall for a few months or weeks depending on the individual, after we have reached the full cycle be this of 3 years or 6 years hair will stop growing, the bulb or root will shed and the cycle will start again.

Just as all us cannot reach 6 foot in height we cannot all grow hair down to our ankles its all genetic. Even with a short cycle most people will be able to grow to waist, there are however exceptions to the rule.

Another thought it is easier to track length visually when hair is shorter as we have shorter growth goals, end of ear, neck, collar bone etc once hair has grown past the shoulders it gets harder to track and the reason why I think hair 'stalls' at bsl is because our bra bands differ and although it may seem at times we are not growing, we actually are its just our bra bands may be slightly lower. Even measuring hair isn't really an exact science as i know I can get 3 different readings.

The only thing to do to maximise our optimum growth is to eat healthily, drink when we are thirsty and treat our hair kindly.

FB
January 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
So do you notice a difference in your hair when your diet is crazy??? or do you notice good things with your hair when you are eating more protein and all of that healthy stuff???

ChloeDharma
January 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
So do you notice a difference in your hair when your diet is crazy??? or do you notice good things with your hair when you are eating more protein and all of that healthy stuff???

If i go through a period of having a poor diet then a little while after i shed loads and i don't seem to gain that much length, but if i consistantly eat well then it effects my shedding and growth. As far as your body is concerned hair s just about the least important thing so nutrients are sent to things like vital organs etc first, hair gets what is left over, without the correct nutrients there just isn't the energy to put into hair growth. If you look at anorexics they show this, Karen Carrpenter springs to mind, in her early days she had beautiful thick glossy looking hair, but after years of anorexia it was much thinner and nothing like it looked before.

Anje
January 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
There's no way to predict when your hair will or will not stall. That said, mine stalled a bit above waist, at 27 inches, and I've heard that this is pretty common. I was also making long trips on many weekends during that time, trying to chose a house in Indiana with DH (there were a lot of lousy places at our price point!), and might have been stressed out at that time.

Mine did start growing again after I trimmed the (quite healthy) ends on a Morrocco Method trim day. I'm skeptical of whether the two are related, but that's another thread.

Carolyn
January 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM
There is no way to predict what is going to happen. Do the best you can with being healthy and eating well. That will optimize your hair growing conditions. Try not to worry about it. Whatever will be will be.

LadyEliza
January 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I've never heard of a whole head of hair stopping growing at once - until it reaches terminal lenght.

Yes, hair has a cylce - but that's individual hairs, not all of them. Just as in a choir everyone will breath at different times so that the note is uninterrupted as a whole, our hairs rest and grow at different times so that the overall look is constantly growing.

If you hair does seem to stop growing I'd be looking at two things - life style and season. Has anything changed? Is the weather colder/hotter (I don't know how hair grows in countries with great differences between summer and winter, I live in Australia). Are you eatting differently, wearing clothing that your hair might be snagging on? Are you a bit more frustrated and maybe trimming more then you should? Maybe because you are afraid you have stalled you haven't done your ends lately, and they are splitting.

There are things that will stop hair from getting longer, but, until it reaches its terminal length, it should keep growing.

jojo
January 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Icidently forgot to mention before but yes I do notice a difference when my diet isnt too good and thinking about it this may be why my hair stalls in summer, as I normally diet around this time, my best eating months are in winter when I get my growth spurts, how about that I never connected the two before!

DanielleRenae
January 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I wonder that myself. My hair has nearly doubled in length in the past 3 years and now it seems like it's not growing as fast anymore. It's about 31 inches long now. It used to grow about 6 inches a year but in the past year it seems like it's only grown about 4 inches. It's frustrating.

suicides_eve
January 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
i go through stalls depending on emotional things. if i am stressed, bothered, aggravated blah blah blah , i can bet i will hit a stall not to mention some major shedding to follow. But thats just me, also diet plays a part.

i hit a stall after about 1 1/2 years of straight growing, the stall lasted about 2-3 months with little to no growth. it just happens, you'll pull past it