PDA

View Full Version : Considering a cut...

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Because I can. :)

I've really enjoyed getting my hair down to tailbone over the past 3 years with LHC but I keep considering getting a fun, funky cut and color of some sort.

I just had my 2nd 29th birthday and I dunno I'm feeling old and well "stuck" in a rut. The only thing holding me back is that I think I'm too fat to have a shorter hair cut lol.

I dunno...any suggestions?

Catladyintown
January 26th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Kittee as a Fat women myself. If I had a short hair cut I would look like a dough boy. I think the Bigger the person is the longer the hair should be. You can always were beautiful buns and nice hair toys.:D With short hair their is not much of a hairstyle options.
P.S. I was just noticing my pic, my eyes go to my nice ponytail instead my large bum.:o

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Meh I just feel like a school marm lately. Its like ALL I can do is the same old bun / hair fork combo.

Shield31
January 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Kittee,

lots of braids out there....

lots of bunns out there........

lots of hair clips, bows, wraps out there.....

I have a leather wrap that I love and it would be taking up space if I cut my hair.

I am replying because I am supportive of your choice, but hoping you don't cut!

sh31

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks Sheild ;) I understand. It's just so frustrating. I can't wear it down lately because it gets into everything, I've lost a ton of it due to medications and my Crohns, so it's much thinner than it used to be. So I feel like if I don't wash it every other day it looks oily and limp.

Typically I just pull it straight back and bun it up or wear a headband. I've done a few braids now and again...I just don't know.

SHELIAANN1969
January 26th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe you can buy a funky colored fall to wear when boredom sets in?

Or make something colorful and wild to braid into your hair.

Braid in some yarn or ribbon and wear several braids.

I think your hair is lovely :flower:

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks ;) It only looks that way in the siggy tho if I follow certain steps.

A) Fresh washing.

B) Braided up over night.

C) finger combed out.

It only looks that way for 1 day. =(

embee
January 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well, you could set the hair cut as a reward for losing weight? Although that makes long hair sorta seem like punishment.

You do have a point though: you might want to do "funky" now, before you decide you're really too mature for it.

Why not buy a wig, there are some fantastic colorful things out there... or maybe a fake colorful hairpiece to pin in? It would be very sad to do a major chop and color only to find it was *horrible* and made you look fat or silly or old-pretending-to-be-young.

teela1978
January 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Do you like your hair when it's freshly washed/braided/fingercombed out? Cutting it into a funky cut will almost definitely require daily washing and combing... perhaps you could start wearing it down more often? Would daily washing allow you to wear it down and enjoy it more? I enjoy mine a lot more when it's down than when it's up. Maybe it's time to start enjoying it long. If 2 weeks later you still want the funky cut then go for it, but definitely play around with it a bit first.

OhioLisa
January 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
First of all, beauty isn't limited to skinny people. Thin and pretty are not one in the same.

Now, as someone approaching her 20-10, I can relate to the feelings you're having. Honestly, if you need something fresh and interesting and are just not enjoying your hair right now, I say go for the cut! If you're having issues with shedding, though, you might want to steer clear of layers and such, since they tend to exaggerate such things. Your hair, to me, is gorgeous. But, it's about YOU and what makes YOU happy. :) I would recommend the 2 week rule thing, and know exactly what you want before you go into the salon. Saying "I just want something different" could definitely be disasterous. Good luck! You're beautiful :)

Loviatar
January 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Kittee,

I support your choice to cut, as I think everyone should have the right to do what they want to their own body/hair.

However, not only would I shout Two Week Rule ;) but I wonder if you are feeling down about your hair because you feel down about other things such as the weight/Crohn's and the like which seem to be bothering you. I think if you did a dramatic chop and colour you would regret it in the long term.

If colour is your issue, perhaps a temporary dye like Manic Panic, or some cassia with herbal colourants (chamomile maybe?) mixed into it could alleviate your hair boredom for a while.

If the length is the main problem (and thus the daily bun/fork combo) perhaps trawling the archives for new styles would help.

I'm sorry you're feeling low about your hair.

Oooh, maybe you could colour a streak in a funky shade? That can look pretty and won't damage the whole length.

Debra83
January 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I was in your position with pregnancy hormones raging, and I thought it would be easier to chop and I did. It was a BAD, BAD decision. I liked it for about 2 weeks. I felt I always had to have makeup on, and it was a chore worse than long to take care of. You will probably have to wash it everyday because of sticky-uppies from sleeping, and probably have to curling iron it to get it to do what you want.

Please wait. I don't want you to regret it like I did.

Buy a magazine that shows nice, new updo's, or go to youtube to look for them. It's amazing what is out there, and how easy they actually are.

There's a thread here (new) with a youtube link to one lady with waist length hair doing tons of easy, quick, fabulous things. Promise to check it out?

My friend who is overweight would be the first to tell you to not cut. She did, and the shortness made her feel more overweight and less feminine.

On the other hand, there are some bigger ladies who do have nice, short hairstyles - but the fact that you are on THIS site leads me to believe you wouldn't be happy with it for very long. Maybe I'm wrong, but just want to make sure you realize how drastic it is.
Good Luck.

joyfulmom4
January 26th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I did that once. Cut my hair after losing weight. It was after my first child was born. I liked it at first. The first week I got it cut, I had tons of compliments and I was so pleased. But once people got used to the "new" me, the compliments ended. I rarely got a compliment from a stranger or anyone. I felt like I looked nice, but the new "do" wasn't all that special or unique. Now that I've grown my hair again, I get regular compliments when I wear it down. I tend to have few compliments when I wear a bun, but if my hair is down, barely a day goes by w/o hearing something about it (pretty, amazingly long, etc).

Right now I'm growing my hair longer b/c I'm curious how long it will get and I am enjoying having it really long and also trying out some new updos. I think though, that eventually I will cut it back to waist length or so. That way I can wear it down all the time and wash it more often and so on. At "shorter" long lengths (up to about hip) I could easily wear my hair down almost all the time and it was never a problem. I don't think I could bring myself to cut short again though. No matter how "stylish" it was, I just felt so common. Not that you would. I'm just sharing *my* experience b/c it might give you something to think about.

And as far as being fat or thin, well, I definitely feel like having great hair helps compensate for my not-so-great figure. Maybe not in other people's eyes (who knows what they think, maybe they think there's a chubby lady with ridiculous hair???) But to me, it feels pretty and I feel more attractive. When I was thin (and I have been thin and heavy on and off many times over the past decade) I felt more attractive regardless of my hair. But when I am carrying extra weight, I really appreciate the confidence my hair gives me about my appearance.

jivete
January 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Maybe you could cut it to a shorter but still long length. Maybe waist or BSL. You could still do updo's, but it might be easier to wear down. Plus if you're maintaining a shorter length, you can probably get away with doing more damaging things, like coloring or heat styling.

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Yah I'm thinking that. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I hate having curly hair I swear. LOL If it was straight I'd know I could get some cute short cuts.

For example- I LOVE Rachel Rays new cut. If you google that you can see what I mean.

noelgirl
January 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Change doesn't have to be drastic! I know that bangs always make me look younger (although with my waves they don't always sit right, and you might run into that too). Hmmmmm . . . if it's funky you're going for, maybe try coloring just a streak. That way, you're not damaging all of your hair, but it's still fun. A girl on here recently did a turquoise streak in her hair that looked really cool.

Teakafrog
January 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Honey, I just got serious about growing my hair out when I turned twenty-ten. I'm now twenty-fourteen, and a 'fluffy' gal myself, so I know where you're at. But I also know, when my hair is short, it gets curlier....so I look like an old lady with a perm! And, my face is too round for short hair--it makes my head look like a coconut. :rolleyes: (Not saying this would be true for you--just for me!) So for me, it would be a disaster to go too short.

But I understand where you're coming from with the Crohn's, if it feels like you put too much effort into your hair. Also remember, most short cuts you HAVE to wash and style every single day, or it looks wonky. With longer hair you have the option to stretch it a day. Maybe bangs? That would be a change. I hope you get over this 'blah' feeling soon, one way or the other. :flowers:

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
All so very true. I just talked to my husband and he told me "Absolutely not." LOL

Heidi_234
January 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yah I'm thinking that. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I hate having curly hair I swear. LOL If it was straight I'd know I could get some cute short cuts.

For example- I LOVE Rachel Rays new cut. If you google that you can see what I mean.
Hey, I have the same hairtype as you, and I've got to say to you you'll never have that Rachel Rays hair unless you'll heat straight you're hair daily. And that's a really tiresome commitment to make, not to say it will damage your hair.
From personal experience I really think that this kind of hair just never looks good short! I had my hair layered from shoulder to BSL for a long time and it's not Rachel Rays in any way! It was a total mess, and just now I grew it out long enough not to be puffed up ugly pile of frizz. Don't make that mistake.
I see from your comments that you didn't work out how to make your hair look good on day 2, and there's plenty of ways for 2c/3a! You can air dry in in various ways and get all kind of waves and curly, and keep them for day 2 and 3 and 4...
You can check my albums, my length shots show all kind of ways I air dried my hair, if you have any questions I'm eager to answer.
I really hope you change your mind. :flower:

Darkhorse1
January 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hey! No one is fat. We all have different body types and shapes and we store our extras differently.

There are quite a few sites.. www.taaz.com is one, where you can try different hair styles to see what works for you. Just remember to use a decent photo. I found if my eyes were half open, certain styles made me look horrific.

Here are some options for boredom:
1. Add color (get some highlights perhaps)
2. Add layers or bangs (cut a little bit to start, don't do the whole thing)
3. Play with styles. I just got an Instyle magazine and you can do a 'fake' bob with lots of bobby pins.

Ask yourself if you'll miss your length. For me, long hair is just something I love. I don't get bored of it, but everyone is different. :)

spidermom
January 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I say go for it, but not too short. Curly hair tends to go pyramid. The shorter my hair, the wider at the bottom, unless it's really super-short and layered all over. That was fun, but the growing out process was ... uh ... less than fun. I think maybe back to waist length with long layers might be pretty cool; that's what I'm thinking to do after I reach classic length, which has been too long a goal not to achieve. I'm so close.

Mary <><
January 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Kittee, DON'T DO IT! I had my bob cut shortly after the second anniversary of my 29th birthday, and I can tell you it has been a nightmare just getting back to where I started from. I just turned 33 and I am barely as long as I was the day before I cut. I think it made my little "30 year old crisis" way worse. Not only do you have to adjust to a new age bracket, but you also have to re-learn how to take care of your hair. This makes for lots of awkward hair days. You have hair that I would DREAM of having! Just enjoy the hair you have! :blossom:

Kittee
January 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Hey Mary! *HUGS*

Yah... my husband has put his foot down. I don't think he will let me cut it anyways. =( maybe I should do as you other folks suggested and get a really cool hair fall or something.

Spidermom- You are so right. Maybe if I just go back up to waist or something so I dont' constantly slam my hair into car doors lol.

lapushka
January 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM
If you are that keen on cutting, cut a little bit, or no shorter than BSL for instance. You will regret it if you do drastic things!

I started growing my hair long when I was 6 years old, very determinedly and surprising even my mom who always insisted on going to the hairdresser. After I went a few times and saw it wasn't getting longer, I never again wanted to go. When I was 10, I just about reached classic length and as it got longer and longer, it got up to the point where I always sat on it, and began to have problems going to the bathroom, I needed to swing it round. It became a burden. And because it was so hard to deal with all of a sudden, I made a drastic decision and had it cut to a page style, very very short. My mom tried to stop me, but as it grew longer and longer... well, the more I wanted it cut and the shorter I wanted to go.

And the next day... I regretted it! Why couldn't I have cut just a little bit off?

It hasn't reached BSL since then, and I still struggle in getting it to that length again and I am now almost 37, so there you go.

Think long and hard before you act and make that decision!

jojo
January 26th, 2009, 01:52 PM
firstly beauty is not about what size we are or how our face looks its about how we feel about ourself. You obviously are crying out for a change but i am going to echo what the others have said on here just a few inches waist maybe, no shorter.

Cutting your hair will not give you the confidence you need, maybe for a week or two but not in the long term, that has to come from within.

I know in the past and I have spent my whole life growing and then cutting it all off, I always end up regretting it. Id also say in your case and your hair beautiful, id say think hard about any major changes for a month not a fortnight. That beautiful mane of yours has been nurtured and looked after well for many years, don't be another hairdressers dream by letting it all end up on the floor!

Amoretti
January 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Kittee; don't cut it short. You'll have the pyramid effect with your hairtype. If you really want a change, go to waist and get some layers.

Two week rule! :flower: