PDA

View Full Version : Advice for coarse dry curly ends?

Mahars
March 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new here and I was wondering if any of you fellow thick haired curlies could give me some advice. I don't remember exactly what hair type I am on the numbering system, but I have a LOT of thick fairly loosely curled hair that tends to get dry and frizzy. When my ends are damaged, they don't split or get thin. They get hard, if that makes sense.

Lately my ends have been getting so dry and none of my previously successful products have been working. So far I've tried SMT, Aubrey GPB, and Giovanni Direct. I'm not sure what to try next at this point. I have a couple of questions, if you would all be so kind.

1) What are your best techniques for preventing and softening dry crunchy ends?

2) What is your favorite leave-in conditioner?

3) What is your favorite protein-free super deep moisturizing conditioner?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

AutumnLeaves
March 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Of course, without a photo, I cannot say for sure, but your hair sounds a lot like mine. I do not notice so much "dry, crunchy ends" on myself...unless they have product on them. All of us curlies seem to do a slightly different routine and mine is probably the simplest. I use NO products whatsoever! I shampoo and condition on Sundays and let my hair air dry. I use a large barrel curling iron on my bangs and on the rare occasion I want my hair to be less wild and out of control. Most LHCers will tell you that styling irons/heat/blow dryers are not the best thing for you hair. In theory I agree, and I try to keep my usage minimal.

My only other hair routine involves a spritzer bottle that is about 2/3 tap water and 1/3 EVOO (olive oil). When the hair puffs too much and loses curl to frizziness, I'll spritz fairly heavily and finger comb.

Not sure if you use any curly hair products, gels, mousses, or hair sprays or if you are using heat or even possibly just feeling tangles...so I'm sorry if I'm not of much help. Hopefully somebody with a bit more hair care knowledge can give you more answers...

Mahars
March 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
No that helps a lot. I didn't even think of misting, but I've been meaning to try it for awhile now. Plus, my hair loves olive oil so I think it may work well for misting. Also, I think there's something to be said for keeping things simple. I think I might have too much build-up on my hair from all the things I torture it with. Thanks for the idea!

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Of course, without a photo, I cannot say for sure, but your hair sounds a lot like mine. I do not notice so much "dry, crunchy ends" on myself...unless they have product on them. All of us curlies seem to do a slightly different routine and mine is probably the simplest. I use NO products whatsoever! I shampoo and condition on Sundays and let my hair air dry. I use a large barrel curling iron on my bangs and on the rare occasion I want my hair to be less wild and out of control. Most LHCers will tell you that styling irons/heat/blow dryers are not the best thing for you hair. In theory I agree, and I try to keep my usage minimal.

My only other hair routine involves a spritzer bottle that is about 2/3 tap water and 1/3 EVOO (olive oil). When the hair puffs too much and loses curl to frizziness, I'll spritz fairly heavily and finger comb.

Not sure if you use any curly hair products, gels, mousses, or hair sprays or if you are using heat or even possibly just feeling tangles...so I'm sorry if I'm not of much help. Hopefully somebody with a bit more hair care knowledge can give you more answers...

Sherry!!!! Look at your gorgeous siggy pic!!!!! I love it!

AutumnLeaves
March 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Thank you my dear Lenicakes!

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I have to say that I do mist a lot too.

I also apply a light layer of coconut oil to the ends of my wet hair only and work it in. I've also used jojoba oil on occasion, only a tiny bit.

However the very best thing is letting it sit in conditioner or a SMT for a long time.

zift
March 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hello Mahars,
First I have to say that I'm not a curly but a 2c wavy and my ends are generally curly. Also my txture is exactly like you describe dry coarse and frizzy. Now I have a routine for quite a long time and I forgot I had frizzy hair days. But for emergency dryness,here's what I do when I see I have stiff ends.I heat lots of sweet almond oil in the micro-wave and apply to my head. Wait for 4-10 hours.Than wash with CWC method.First with a non cone conditioner than a 2in1 shampoo and than a coney conditioner. My favourite moisturising condish is L'oreal Elseve(Elvive) anti-breakage. And I detangle under running water with the conditioner on in the shower. And right after shower I apply the same leave-in L'oreal Antibreakage to my length and immediately braid it. Than it takes(seriously not kidding )24 hours to dry. When it's dry I take off the braid put a little bit of coconut/sweet almond oil to my hands and seperate it through the length and brush carefully with a BBB. Than bun it. And wear a bun always to keep the moisture in. :lol: does it sound too much?

girlcat36
March 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Favorite leave-in: Goth Rosary condish. Not sold as a leave-in, but that's how I use it. I have been using a mixture of aloe vera gel, glycerin, and oil to keeps my ends moisturized. My hair is very fine, so these things might not work for everyone.
And Water Only on my scalp. Shampoo and conditioner on my scalp make my hair wild.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
This might be totally useless information but I've been unhappy with my ends recently and think I've figured out that although my ends enjoy a weekly CO with a second conditioner that has protein in it.....if I mist nightly with a recipe of water/ conditioner and that conditioner contains any protein....my ends rebel. Not so much crunchy, not so much dry but coarse. I'm in my second week of my 'no daily protein' experiment and I think I detect a bit more 'sleek' in my ends.

By the way, I am 2a/F/i-ii

salamander
March 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM
My hair's a lot like that. I wet the ends of my hair and put a little coconut oil on them every day, works like magic. I braid my hair to sleep, so I just wet and oil the tassel before I go to bed. Coconut oil is also a decent leave-in, although if you want to go out and buy something exciting, Aveda's curl enhancer works wonderfully and really reduces frizz.

Coconut oil is also (detecting a theme?^_^) an awesome deep conditioner, I do a coconut deep conditioning every week, or I used to until this improved my hair's condition so much that I actually don't need that much conditioning any more, so I'm scaling it back to once every two weeks. Some people who are really sensitive to protein have issues with coconut oil, though, so if that's you then you should go with olive oil instead. FYI, that's really heavy, but it generally COs out fine for me.

Curlsgirl
March 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
1) What are your best techniques for preventing and softening dry crunchy ends? I use BWC leave-in and coconut oil after I wash while my hair is still wet/damp and concentrate it on my ends.

2) What is your favorite leave-in conditioner? BWC leave-in or Giovanni Direct (also coconut or avocado oil if you count oils)

3) What is your favorite protein-free super deep moisturizing conditioner? Jessicurl Too-Shea

My favorite "quick-fix" is to braid my hair in an English braid and leave a couple of inches at the end (or whatever is driest), dip it on water (saturate it with water), squeeze the water out gently with fingers, dip in coconut oil (LOTS of it) and then squeeze gently with fingers again. Leave to dry naturally. This has made most of the amazing difference in my crunchy ends. I never have them anymore because of the leave-in and coconut oil. HTH!

Mahars
March 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! So what I'm hearing so far is that coconut oil on top of water works well. That makes sense because I'm thinking the oil probably seals the water in if you wet the hair first. I've tried coconut oil before, but I think I didn't use enough or leave it in for long enough, and I've always used it on dry hair.

Thanks for the product advice zift, girlcat36 and curlsgirl. Thanks for the routine zift. It's nice to know that there are things out there that work for people. I always just thought that my hair naturally go this way a couple months after a cut until I started reading LHC.

Curlsgirl, I've been meaning to try BWC leave-in for awhile but I can't find it anywhere. Do you know who sells it curlsgirl?

Pilgrim
March 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
For me, dry, crunchy ends are usually an indication of product buildup, which calls for a clarifying treatment of a little baking soda or lemon juice mixed with shampoo or conditioner. I do often use coconut oil on the ends, but if that doesn't seem to help, I know it's time to clarify. Works really well.

lulabelle
March 8th, 2008, 11:33 PM
My hair is not thick or curly, but I do get hard tangly ends. What has worked the best for me is to first spritz with a spray I made (water, jojoba oil, and aloe. Kimberlily's recipe) and follow with shea butter. Also, sometimes clarifying helps crunchy ends for me but I also use cones so I know I get buildup. I don't use any leave in except for coconut oil and shea butter. Also, no proteins for me!!!

Edit: for reference, my hair type is 1b/f/iii so probably not similar to yours.

*Elvina*
March 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'd say, rap them in conditioner overnight and if needed use some leave-in too.

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
3) What is your favorite protein-free super deep moisturizing conditioner? Jessicurl Too-Shea

I started to get excited when I saw you answered this question, because I'm on the hunt for rich, cone and protein free conditioners.... but, then I noticed you answered with Jessicurl Too-Shea.

I'm curious how this can be a protein-free condish if it contains shea butter or oil (assuming that's what 'Too-Shea' means). Could you clear this up for me? And, let me/us know where you get the Jessicurl?

Thank you so much, Curlsgirl and I apologize for the hijack, Mahars.....please forgive.

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I like hijacks! They add to the fun. :)
Do oils have protein in them? I've never heard that before, but I'm interested to know. I would also be interested to know where you get Jessicurl. I've heard a lot of curlies talking about it on the boards. If anyone has ingredient listings too, I would super appreciate it. I'm trying to stay as natural as possible and avoid Parabens and all that stuff. Thanks!

cmw45
March 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Do you have a pic?

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well hmmmm I THOUGHT Too shea was no-protein but perhaps I was wrong. I certainly apologize if I am! I like it but I am not protein sensitive. Someone chime in please if you know!

On the BWC, I got mine on www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com) I THINK. Gosh, I need to go check on that to make sure too though. I ordered several bottles last time and it lasts a long time. I'll get back to you about that!

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Okay here's the link for the BWC leave-in. It's at drugstore.com

Link (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=90283&catid=47228&brand=15282&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=47228&trxp2=90283&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=15282)

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Ingredients: Water infused with Lemongrass, Nettle, Burdock, Kelp, Marshmallow Root, Horsetail, Basil, Bay Leaf, Oregano, Rosemary, Peppermint, Sage and Thyme, Aloe Vera Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Letchin, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I like hijacks! They add to the fun. :)
Do oils have protein in them? I've never heard that before, but I'm interested to know. I would also be interested to know where you get Jessicurl. I've heard a lot of curlies talking about it on the boards. If anyone has ingredient listings too, I would super appreciate it. I'm trying to stay as natural as possible and avoid Parabens and all that stuff. Thanks!

Go to www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com) They sell all the Jessicurl products and also list the ingredients when you go to each one. Click on curlmart when you get to the site. HTH!

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thank you curlsgirl! You've been so helpful. I think I'm going to try the BWC first and see how it works for me.

Cmw45 - I don't have a pic yet. I'm going to try to get one up as soon as I can. I know they help a lot with growth measurement.

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Thank you curlsgirl! You've been so helpful. I think I'm going to try the BWC first and see how it works for me.

Cmw45 - I don't have a pic yet. I'm going to try to get one up as soon as I can. I know they help a lot with growth measurement.

Let me know how you like it! A LOT of curlies like it. It's not real heavy but just right and it distributes well I think without leaving a residue. Not expensive really either.

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Let me know how you like it! A LOT of curlies like it. It's not real heavy but just right and it distributes well I think without leaving a residue. Not expensive really either.

Yes! I found it really cheap on Amazon. Thank you again!

missy60
March 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well hmmmm I THOUGHT Too shea was no-protein but perhaps I was wrong. I certainly apologize if I am! I like it but I am not protein sensitive. Someone chime in please if you know!

On the BWC, I got mine on www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com) I THINK. Gosh, I need to go check on that to make sure too though. I ordered several bottles last time and it lasts a long time. I'll get back to you about that!

Hi Curlsgirl
I am sort of confused by the Too Shea thing myself. She stated that she doesnt use protein in any of her products on this web page and several other places on her site. I have also heard people say they cant use it because of the protein in it so I really was confused to.

OH yeah I forgot the link http://www.jessicurl.com/Curly-Hair-Tips-p-8.html#protein this is a great site it has video's on styling curly hair if anyone hasnt seen them yet.

Cichelle
March 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I also recommend BWC and also Goth Rosary is wonderful. I am prone to dry ends. I like to use natural butters, but it's important to go light with them or the build up will send you to tangle city. Oils can be great, but I can only use them in limited ways, or they make my hair crunchy...especially the ends, which is the last thing I want. I use oils before I shampoo and for scalp massages.

Sable
March 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I also use and love Too Shea. I am protein sensitive and have never had a problem with any Jessicurl product. One great bonus is I've never used anything that de-tangles as good. Jessicurls Weekly Deep Treatment is also very good, and can be used as a leave in. What has been working the best for me lately for dry ends is Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Conditioning Treatment (also from www.naturallycurly.com).

HappyCurls
March 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I also love Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treat and the Too Shea. When my ends get bad, I do an ACV rinse to get rid of buildup, and I damp bun and tuck the ends in when its wet and add a butter or oil.

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
1) What are your best techniques for preventing and softening dry crunchy ends? I use BWC leave-in and coconut oil after I wash while my hair is still wet/damp and concentrate it on my ends.

2) What is your favorite leave-in conditioner? BWC leave-in or Giovanni Direct (also coconut or avocado oil if you count oils)

My favorite "quick-fix" is to braid my hair in an English braid and leave a couple of inches at the end (or whatever is driest), dip it on water (saturate it with water), squeeze the water out gently with fingers, dip in coconut oil (LOTS of it) and then squeeze gently with fingers again. Leave to dry naturally. This has made most of the amazing difference in my crunchy ends. I never have them anymore because of the leave-in and coconut oil. HTH!

TooShea has a bit of oat protein though. Some protein sensitves can use it as it is a minimal amount. I guess it is better called a low-protein condish than a protein free one. The shea in it does not have protein.

ETA: Odd thing with protein, it depends on how the substance is used. Wheat oil will be protein free. Wheat flour will not be. Grains have protein and any grain flour or grain extract can act a protein on sensitive hair.

This coming from Miss Super Protein Sensitive... :lol:

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new here and I was wondering if any of you fellow thick haired curlies could give me some advice. I don't remember exactly what hair type I am on the numbering system, but I have a LOT of thick fairly loosely curled hair that tends to get dry and frizzy. When my ends are damaged, they don't split or get thin. They get hard, if that makes sense.

Lately my ends have been getting so dry and none of my previously successful products have been working. So far I've tried SMT, Aubrey GPB, and Giovanni Direct. I'm not sure what to try next at this point. I have a couple of questions, if you would all be so kind.

1) What are your best techniques for preventing and softening dry crunchy ends?

Lots of emollients and no protein. Also no coconut oil for me as it helps hair with prtein retention. Too much coconut oil gives me crunchy hair.

2) What is your favorite leave-in conditioner?

Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-in/Detangler (paraben free)

3) What is your favorite protein-free super deep moisturizing conditioner?

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose for everyday use and Jessicurls Weekly Deep treatment on occasion. (both paraben free)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

As you can see, the answers varied greatly from poster to poster. The hard part about hair care is finding what ingredients and routines work and don't work.

On my ends, I like to use the damp dipping trick that I learned from Curlsgirl. I just prefer peach kernel oil.

Calrifying isn't a bad idea either. I so rarely need to do it that I forget about it...

Mahars
March 13th, 2008, 01:08 AM
As you can see, the answers varied greatly from poster to poster. The hard part about hair care is finding what ingredients and routines work and don't work.

Quite true. I appreciate all the advice from everyone. I tried the coconut oil dipping idea last night and my ends felt much better this morning. I'm hoping that the overally condition will get better over time if I keep it moist. I'm going to try bunning it more now that my layers are growing out and are barely long enough to bun. So exciting. :D

yzkaloha
March 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I have recently, in the past three weeks, started using a mix of shea butter and jojoba oil on my hair while it is wet. So far, I am loving it. I don't wear my hair out much, and when I do, it is in a ponytail, so my ends are usually protected. I do have to be careful no to use too much shea butter, but I find the combination leaves my curls soft, shiny, defined and as frizz free as possible.

Carina
March 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Another frizzball enters the group:D:o.I have been fighting my frizz for years both with cones and without.But going conefree and light oiling is what works best for me in the long run.My ends love macadamia oil.

comicalcupcake
March 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
When I was doing CWC, I used to put Burt's Bees Avocado Oil pre-shampoo in my wet hair instead of the first C. It worked wonders but is really expensive (about $8 a tube and you would use the tube up in 5-10 washes). Now I use a tiny dab of it for styling, along with whatever a few sprays of sea salt/distilled water or other stuff I'm experimenting with. It isn't as good at preserving the ends that way, but it does make them *look* soft and supple.