PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled upon this nice article by accident

Um Enis
January 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe some of you would like it/ find it interesting:

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip004.htm (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip004.htm)

Coriander
January 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Awesome.

The other night I saw a woman (probably in her 60's) who had long beautiful gray hair in a French braid all the way down to her waist. I thought, "Magnificent".

The heck with "society standards" :D

Carolyn
January 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Good article for the most part. I don't agree with the part that you need a "professional" to help you keep your hair nice.

Rohele
January 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I liked this article, especially since I'll probably be nearing my goal somewhere around (ahem) my 40th birthday.

Fairlight63
January 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Thank you for that article. It was very interesting. I am in the midst right now of watching the Dr. Quinn, Med. woman series from NetFlix & LOVE Jane Seymours long hair & different hairstyles she does. She is an inspiration.

RavennaNight
January 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Aaaahhhhhhh.... What a breath of fresh air. Thanks Um Enis.

Eta: wait! Does this mean Jayne Seymour is going for extreme lengths? She said she hopes it wont fit in her coffin when she passes...

Elbereth
January 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
The history part was interesting, and the conclusion is long hair friendly.

What I didn't like is that this article (like most beauty articles, I guess) treats hair as an accessory only, something that can be worn in certain way as long as the look is right. I had liked the article better if it had pointed out that for some people, long hair is part of their identity, not just another aspect of looking pretty.

Charli800
January 26th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Good article for the most part. I don't agree with the part that you need a "professional" to help you keep your hair nice.
Absolutely! The last time I went to a hairdresser was about seven years ago and that was arranged for a wedding :)
It's nice to see someone challenging the status quo, though.:D

DeeM
January 26th, 2009, 04:19 AM
As I am approaching my 40's, the notion of cutting my hair has never entered my head!
I've heard all the story's before about cutting as we get older, but they are absolute rubbish! Who says how we shoud wear 'our' hair?
It is I who decides how I will wear my hair, and I want it long, so that's how it will be. My husband is of the same opinion too.
Too many people want to have a say in how we live our lives, it's time they got a life of their own.
Rant over. :rant:

Carolyn
January 26th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Absolutely! The last time I went to a hairdresser was about seven years ago and that was arranged for a wedding :)
It's nice to see someone challenging the status quo, though.:DOh yes, it certainly is! The lovely Jane has long been a poster girl for those of us who plan to keep our hair long past age 40. Hang around LHC for a while and you'll see all sorts of status quo's being challenged and conventions being flouted ;)

scalawaggirl
January 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I think it's an oddity anyway when people feel comfortable telling long hairs that they should cut...how often would you hear advice offered so freely about other personal aspects such as weight or makeup?

In any event, I am glad that Jane Seymour is keeping her hair. It's a personal choice and frankly, we are in the lucky club because I think that almost everyone loves long hair and the negative reactions are due to either being a) jealous or b) judgmental...okay, mostly A, I'd guess.

kdaniels8811
January 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I just had to respond, I am past 50 (gasp!) and am trying to grow my hair to waist length. On occasion I have someone comment about my length and my response is "short hair makes me look too old!" I have great skin - thanks, mom! - and do not ever plan on cutting my length off. Longhairs unite!

Lady Godiva
January 26th, 2009, 07:54 AM
The author/founder of Hair Boutique is a member (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=209) here. :wink: She has been a long hair supporter for a very long time.

going gray
January 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Right on, we all need to stand together I just turned 62 & my hair's about 20" I plan on going to BSL..can't imagine all the negative stuff I'll be getting again, which caused me to cut my hair last time! I'm turning a "deaf" ear to it, if it happens.

mellie
January 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
That was nice! It is so rare to see an article in support of long hair for women over 40!

Amoretti
January 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I'm 43 and an oddity. LOL. I don't care if society says I should have short hair.

JamieLeigh
January 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm finding that with my decision to grow out/maintain my long hair, and now having the proper tools and advice to do so to the best extent possible, I no longer fear growing older as much as I did. (And I notice, having just had my 10-year high school reunion this past summer, that the more superficial girls who were my classmates are racing toward growing older quicker than I am...my more natural style of living and eating is helping me out, I think!! :D) I've actually embraced my few grey hairs that I've collected at age 28, and am happy in the role of wife and mom that I've taken on.

Sorry for being wordy, LOL. Bottom line, age doesn't matter hair-wise, as long as you take care of yourself and the beautiful hair you possess. :)

Um Enis
January 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM
The author/founder of Hair Boutique is a member (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=209) here. :wink: She has been a long hair supporter for a very long time.

Nice to know! Thanks Lady Godiva.

bsc
January 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Thank you for the article!
I do not plan to cut my hair when I get older. Letīs prove social standars wrong! jajaja
Long healthy silver hair rules!

loves2spin
January 27th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I have had long hair and short hair. Now, for the last time, I am letting it grow. There are advantages to both styles, no doubt about that. It's a personal choice (Did I just say something obvious?) I think the article is very nice, and I get the feeling that the advice about going to a professional and all the suggestions about how to make long hair look nice on an aging face might be very helpful to some people. Personally, I can't be bothered to fuss so much, and it's not that I don't like to look pretty... I do. I am beginning to really understand something my mother used to say. She'd be looking in the mirror, tidying up her hair or makeup and say, "I need a new face." Yep. I can relate to that now. :agree: