PDA

View Full Version : Bit the bullet - trimmed the layers off

Demetrue
January 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
ugh!!! I'm glad I did it, but you know how much it hurts to lose length. I was following a trim only on the 24th of each month rule, since I tend to get OCD with uneven ends, damage, etc. I washed it yesterday and when it dried, it was so obvious that there was a 3 inch step between the longest layer, which had been shoulder length and the side pieces which were almost chin length. Since I am growing out damage and dye, and it was the 24th of the month, I decided it was better to even it out now while it was still short and it will be easier to grow out dye demarcation lines than keep waiting and obsessing over it. That 3 inch step was just bothering the heck out of me, so I did my first really major trim since I started growing out from pixie a year and a half ago (the other trims were micro-trims). I probably took off 2.5 inches from the back so that it more evenly meets the side pieces. I can still get most of it into a pony tail, and in 4 months, the hemline should all hit shoulder. I'm glad that the layers are almost all gone now, and the style looks cute and feminine, but I'm bummed because now it's going to take till summer-time to get the length back. It's just that trade-off when you're growing out layers and damage but you want it healthy and long and all one length/color NOW - sigh.

spidermom
January 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
A lot of the damage is gone so I imagine it will grow back faster than you imagine. The lack of damage on the ends makes for an enormous jump in growth rate, as I have experienced.

Roseate
January 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Congratulations on making the leap! I envy you the nice clean ends you must have now!

I'm still trying to decide when to do that myself- my layers are also about 3" apart, and I'm just past shoulder, so if I was to cut now I'd be in that awkward land between ear and shoulder... I think I'll wait until the layers are all past shoulder and then go for it. My layers are all razory and some days I think I'll just do it... but then I remember how my hair goes all triangle-shaped when it's shorter than shoulder without layers and I make myself wait.

Demetrue
January 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I just keep telling myself how soft and silky it's going to look and feel when all the bleach damge is GONE!

And I just used my Amazon gift card on an order of Mega-tek, so it will be interesting to see if that speeds up the regrowth.

SchnauzerMom
January 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm sure it was tough to cut but now it will be healthier as it grows out.

suicides_eve
January 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
before my hair hit shoulder length is when most of my big chops came into play, i had that pixie mullet i was dying to get rid of.. since then i was doing regular small trims but stopped in sept '08 and haven't trimed since.

Curlsgirl
January 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I did that too as mine was growing and even though it took longer to grow it out now it is almost all totally one length and I am SO glad I did it. Good for you!!!

DelynofRhondda
January 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Oh, your hair will be in much better health now and probaly looks darling. Isn't it better to have a cute shape (to the hair) and clean ends than to have long scruffies? It will grow back with a vengence so to speak.

Demetrue
January 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah - it's easier to leave it alone and grow it out when I like the general shape & style - and it's easier to just do it now and get it over with, than to agonize over losing length once it gets longer.

Katze
January 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
good for you! As someone with similar issues, I would do the same thing if my taper weren't so even throughout my length.

It's nice to feel like your hair is 'happy' and getting rid of old damage is an excellent way to do this.

scalawaggirl
January 26th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I did a similar cut of 3-4" back in the summer when my old layers grew out unevenly...had a previously gifted hairdresser who could layer long hair and it never grew out badly, but I digress...anyway, while I did not have damage, it looked uneven so off it went.

Now I just do periodic trims when things don't look right but they are minimal (Fey's method). Once my hair gets to waist, I will probably trim some of the layers slowly, slowly but I really want to wait until it's officially long before doing that again.

You will be happier looking at the progress with a more evened-up and healthy hemline. :)

sandigirl
January 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
...The lack of damage on the ends makes for an enormous jump in growth rate, as I have experienced.
Is that really true? Does the end have anything to do with the growth? I don't know enough about hair to even have a clue but I don't get it.

I did that too as mine was growing and even though it took longer to grow it out now it is almost all totally one length and I am SO glad I did it. Good for you!!!
Your color is stunning.

Silver & Gold
January 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Is that really true? Does the end have anything to do with the growth? I don't know enough about hair to even have a clue but I don't get it.

I don't believe she was suggesting that that hair actually grows faster but rather that the growth rate appears faster since you aren't losing bits of your dry hair to breakage. That dried, tangly hair can break off and seem as if your hair growth is stalling. Once you don't have breakage your hair gets longer since you're not losing new length to breakage.

Tap Dancer
January 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I did the same thing in November and I love it. It took me a week to get used to my hair because I had it cut to my jaw and I prefer it to be chin length or longer. I had to go a little extra short because my old bangs were uneven and I wanted a nice, even bob. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Silver & Gold
January 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I wanted to add that my past year of growth has been very limited because I've had to trim 3-4 inches of my length in order to get rid of damage and to shape the hemline while bangs and layers were growing out. I still have a bit of that trimming to do but I think I've got it in reasonable enough shape to hold off for a bit and I really need to see some length. My hair is at such an awkward length right now. If I can just get about 4 inches I think I'll like the way it lays better, then I can begin the trimming again until my hair is more healthy throughout.