PDA

View Full Version : Proper care and maintenance of BBB?

RavennaNight
January 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Does anybody know the proper care for a boar bristle brush? What are you supposed to clean them with? How often? Any special techniques? How about removing buildup that went from your hair to the brush? Because I would imagine these factors would affect the effectiveness of the brush.

Dreamernz
January 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
All I know is that you can use a comb to go between the bristles to clean out the hair and dust from those hard to reach places :D Hope that helps! :D

puredoxyk
January 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I did some reading on this a while ago: You can wash them with mild soap and water (after getting all the hair & dirt out that you can, using a comb or stick) -- just don't use them again until they dry completely. I keep two so I can use one while the other's drying. ;)

The longer your hair, the less often you'll probably want to wash it and the more you'll rely on a BBB for cleaning, so the more often you'll want to wash your brush.

Hope that helps!

Flaxen
January 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM
These instructions (http://www.masonpearson.com/main.html) should help, too. :smile:

RavennaNight
January 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Oooh thanks Flaxen! That was a great detailed description for cleaning. *goes to buy a new toothbrush...

Arfed
January 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
These instructions (http://www.masonpearson.com/main.html) should help, too. :smile:
I'm not sure if that would apply to a BBB though, as I read that they may need to be cleaned more carefully; I had this problem with a horn comb I got a while back, where I cleaned it regularly using water + toothbrush, and that actually wrecked it.

Flaxen
January 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure if that would apply to a BBB though, as I read that they may need to be cleaned more carefully; I had this problem with a horn comb I got a while back, where I cleaned it regularly using water + toothbrush, and that actually wrecked it.
Those are Mason Pearson's own cleaning instructions for their boar bristle and nylon brushes. It was very gentle when I did exactly what they said on my MP bbb. :shrug: