PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out what my hair needs?

Heavenly Locks
January 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Hi everyone *waves* newbie girl here...

I am totally loving the site and could get sucked into the vortex that is LHC for countless hours if I didn't have a pile of laundry to do and a hungry husband to remind me of how long it's been. ;)

I have never done anything besides store bought shampoos and conditioners and I'd like to know what else I can do in addition to or instead of that. Right now I am using the Pantene Beautiful Lengths S&C.

I shampoo/condition 2 times a week at the most. I shampoo only at the roots and condition from the ears back. If you want to know anything else about my routine feel free to ask!

I know that some hair likes 'cones, need more protein and moisture etc. How do I go about finding out what else my hair needs?

Charli800
January 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I found this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) article very helpful. (Also being new :D)

helen2806
January 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

I found that this article was a good place to begin for me

welcome to LHC :D

Heavenly Locks
January 28th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Thanks ladies! :) *digs in*

Katze
January 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Welcome!

Finding out what your hair needs is a matter of trial and error. What makes your hair look and feel good? What makes your scalp feel healthy?

Many of us here have tried a number of different methods until we found what worked for us. For me, I have settled on "just plain" shampoo and conditioner washing, similar to what you do (but with conditioner before the wash, what's known as "CWC"), occasional deep treatments (SMT) occasional oiling, leave-in, and just better, gentler treatment (protecting hair from damage).

One thing to keep in mind is that your hair - and you! - might need an adjustment period to "get used to" a new routine, way of styling, sleeping with hair contained, etc. For me the hardest thing has been to get used to wearing my hair up more (I don't always like the look of it) and to how different it looks when it is better moisturized (wavier, darker, sleeker).

good luck, hope you find what works!

Katze