PDA

View Full Version : Miss America 2009

lorig713
January 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I have the Miss America 2009 show on. Of the 15 finalists, only 2 have BSL hair. The rest have short hair. That is surprising to me. I seem to remember in past years that most had longer hair. That is partly why I watch their shows. :confused: Maybe I am remembering wrong.

SweetPea88
January 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I think you're right. I always think of longish hair with Miss America shows.

wintersun99
January 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Xandergrammy
January 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, I lost interest in this show when it moved from Atlantic City. I do remember though that many past contestants had longish hair. It's disappointing that there aren't more long hairs this year.

GlassEyes
January 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Wintersun, I'm with you on American idol, though once in a while they'll perform something I like, but that's what youtube is for. XD

But as far as pageant queens, short hair is not something I think of, though I don't watch them. xD;

dearladydisdain
January 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it does seem like the contestants used to generally have BSL-ish hair. I used to watch the pageant every year but haven't the past couple of years...sigh :p

Copasetic
January 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I remember them having long hair too. I think it has to do with the fact that Miss America is trying to create a new image. They have this TLC show now, and are always telling the girls not to be too "pagenty". They are always trying to make them "modern" and "fresh", which according to stylists generally means short 'n sassy hair cuts.

Carolyn
January 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Years ago I remember observing Miss America candidates had shorter hair than Miss USA candidates. So of course the Miss USA pagent was more appealing to me :silly:

Speckla
January 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I used to love to see the evening gowns and the updos. We're not watching it because they're like everyone else! Don't take away the beauty of individuality! It's a fantasy as a little girl to watch those glamorous ladies - are they going to make them look like the lunch lady next? hairnet and all?
________
MARIJUANA NEWS (http://potwire.com)

sweetbluesky
January 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I was also suprised to see so many shorties. But honestly, I thought it looked supercute. Their hair was cut spectacularly, in a flattering way for each woman, showing off amazing bone structure. Granted, this can be done with longer hair too but it did make the pagent appear a little less glamorous and more glitzy. Eh, anything to increase ratings and make more money right? Besides, long hair= boring according to them. This was a view that has penetrated almost every aspect of society now. :(

DaveDecker
January 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I remember them having long hair too. I think it has to do with the fact that Miss America is trying to create a new image. They have this TLC show now, and are always telling the girls not to be too "pagenty". They are always trying to make them "modern" and "fresh", which according to stylists generally means short 'n sassy hair cuts.

I was also suprised to see so many shorties. But honestly, I thought it looked supercute. Their hair was cut spectacularly, in a flattering way for each woman, showing off amazing bone structure. Granted, this can be done with longer hair too but it did make the pagent appear a little less glamorous and more glitzy. Eh, anything to increase ratings and make more money right? Besides, long hair= boring according to them. This was a view that has penetrated almost every aspect of society now. :(

So if I understand correctly.... if "pagenty" hair is now short... then the TLC show will be encouraging longer hair so that "it isn't all pagenty"? :silly:

I added bold lettering in sweetbluesky's passage to add: that is a charitable and polite way to say that the short haircuts did not enhance their beauty. I'm not usually so tactful. :bluesmile I see that the contest winner had longer hair, so :p to the TLC show and their "short-is-better" advice.