PDA

View Full Version : What is your Vinegar Use?

MeMyselfandI
March 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Opps? How do I correct a poll?

4 should read:
ACV Rinse out AFTER FC

8 should read:
WV Rinse out AFTER FC

Sorry for the mistake.

What is your vinegar use?

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or White Vinegar (WV)?

Do you leave in or rinse out?

Before final conditioner (FC) or after final conditioner (FC)?

Just after Hair Treatments? If so which ones?

Do you find the vinegar smells?

MeMyselfandI
March 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I am curious to see how others use vinegar for their hair. I used it for the first time twice yesterday after treatments (Coconut/honey and Henna/Cassia). I loved how light my hair felt once dry. I wonder if it is due a lot in part to the vinegar rinsing out any shampoo residue and/or any minerals in the tap water.

I voted after treatments.

I think I will be coming a WV, rinse out before Final Conditioner.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I do ACV after my poo bar. I don't do a final condish.

Leisha
March 28th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I do an ACV rinse as my final rinse, so after conditioner has been rinsed out etc. (ETA: my washing method is regular ol' S&C, I'll probably try some shampoo bars in the future)

It's a "leave in" rinse I guess, but I never notice any smell once my hair is dry, and even while it's drying it's not too bad (not like it smells when you take a whiff from the bottle of ACV :D ). (I use "a good splash" in about a litre of water - not sure about the exact quantity- it's quite diluted anyway).

I don't do an ACV rinse every wash, I often forget to bring it into the shower with me :o but now and then.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes on my hair... I've only done it a few (3-4?) times so far. But I think it makes my hair smoother and shinier. It will require more testing to know this for sure ;) :)

harley mama
March 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I use ACV. I put in on my scalp and let it sit for a minute, then rinse well and CO. I use ACV about once a month right now.

xrosiex
March 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Sometimes I use my ACV mixed with distilled water for my final rinse. But I never rinse it out. It maks my hair really soft and shiny.

MeMyselfandI
March 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I am intrested in after the final conditioner. Humm, I may try that.

xrosiex
March 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I am intrested in after the final conditioner. Humm, I may try that.
I use 1 tbsp. to 24ozs. of water. and it works great.

AJoifulNoise
March 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Those abbreviations really threw me. But, I think I figured it out. I do an ACV rinse after I CO. I then rinse it out of my length, but leave it on my scalp to help with itchies. So, I said leave-in.

And, it only smells until it dries. I've even had people sniff my dry hair and they can't smell anything.

ETA: I use a little over a TBS in a about 16 oz of water (one Aquafina bottle with a sip missing).

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I haven't experimented much with vinegar. The smell is very off-putting to me and I'm afraid I'll go through the day smelling like a salad.

From what I'm reading though it won't smell once my hair is dry and it appears to have great benefits, so I'm going to have to give it a go...

ohjezebel
March 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I use my ACV rinse after my final conditioner. I generally rinse it out, but not thouroughly - just a quick pass of my hair under the water to get everything aligned again and to get the excess off. Then I put in any leave-ins: conditioner, oils, aloe vera, etc.

BrianaFineHair
March 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
After I shampoo I use the vinegar rinse (25% vinegar and 75% water solution.)
I do not leave it in but rinse it out after a few minutes. I love it. I prefer it over conditioner.

Sarahmoon
March 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I do white vinigar rinse out after the final conditioner.
I didn't see that option, but you gave to WV rinse out before FC twice so I clicked the second one. I also did leave in a few times, but once I did that, then my hair dried, I walked through the rain and my hair was way softer when it dried again. So now I rinse it out :)

MemSahib
March 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM
My hair hates a vinegar rinse. It seems to strip out the oils no matter how little I use.

Nanni
March 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM
When I do a ACV rinse I do it after the FC and then after having left the ACV sitt for a couple of minutes I rinse it out with cold water.
Don't care to much for the smell.

Flaxen
March 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I edited the poll for you. :smile:

Hmm, my ACV rinse is my final conditioner, but if I consider the drop of oil I put on my length when it's dry, then I can vote in the poll (ACV, rinse out before FC).

I cannot use a strong vinegar rinse at all. Currently, I am using 1 tsp. ACV and 1 tsp. honey in 2 cups of water.

Unnamed
March 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Vinegar and my hair don't get along. Dry and tangly...shiny, but it feels awful, even with very low dilutions. At least WV--I haven't tried ACV, and probably won't.

If I do a rinse at the end, I use citric acid instead.

cuddledumplin
March 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I've tried ACV a number of ways, and in a number of combinations, but my hair seems to hate it.

AlleyKitten
March 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I use red wine vinegar (so I didn't vote), and rinse it out before my final conditioner. I can't imagine not rinsing it -- when I don't rinse sufficiently, my hair smells like vinegar if it gets even a little damp.

MeMyselfandI
March 29th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I edited the poll for you. :smile:

Hmm, my ACV rinse is my final conditioner, but if I consider the drop of oil I put on my length when it's dry, then I can vote in the poll (ACV, rinse out before FC).

I cannot use a strong vinegar rinse at all. Currently, I am using 1 tsp. ACV and 1 tsp. honey in 2 cups of water.

Flaxen,

Thank you for editing my poll. I appreciate it.

Intresting about the honey. I never thought of honey as something that is rinsed out quickly.

AllyKitten,

I find the smell of red wine vinegar even stronger then white vinegar.

Do you think it leaves any stain on your hair?

doodlesmart
March 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I put leave in after final conditioning, but really it depends on how my hair feels. I have learned to tell a lot about the feel of my wet hair, and if it is feeling dry at the ends, I will add some condish to the ends right before I get out of the shower. I don't rinse the ACV off the rest of my length though.

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I don't use vinegar. The smell of it puts me off so badly, plus I only use it to clean the tarnished insides (calcium or what do you call that) of my water cooker.. when I read that together in one sentence I wouldn't even CONSIDER putting it in my hair.

soleluna
March 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I voted wrong! wanted to say ACV Rinse out, after FC . Instead I voted WV Rinse out, after FC

foerland
March 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I use vinegar only when cooking :-).

Carolyn
March 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I use white vingar. ACV adds red tones which I don't want. Most often I use it after conditioning an rinse it out. I used it when I was experimenting with AO and poo bars, both of which were dismal failures for me. Now I use it occasionally if I think I might be getting some build up and want a cleaner feeling to my hair. I don't mind the smell at all and it doesn't linger when my hair is dry. Sometimes I'll use it before the final conditioning though. It's kind of a whatever/whenever thing for me.

helynhighwater
March 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I didn't know what to vote because I pour the acv in during my final condition. My hair get's shampooed first thing in the shower, then I add the conditioner and stick it up in a clip to 'cure' while I clean the rest of my body. Then I take the acv {1/2 tbl diluted in a quart jug} and pour it slowly through my hair and then let it sit a minute or two before rinsing both acv and condish out at once.

AlleyKitten
March 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
AllyKitten,

I find the smell of red wine vinegar even stronger then white vinegar.

Do you think it leaves any stain on your hair?

I think it smells a little better, but they pretty much all smell like vinegar to me, the only difference is how well I rinse it out. It does definitely turn my shower walls pink after a few weeks! My hair may be a little redder than it used to be, but it's not anything very dramatic. Since my hair is sort of strawberry blonde, I figured something that might bring out the red a little bit, but not completely change the color, would be good. Since I use a very small amount of vinegar (four ounces of diluted vinegar, less than half an ounce of actual vinegar, once or twice a week) and rinse it out, if it does deposit any color it's very, very subtle.

rainee
April 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
I voted ACV, after conditioner.
My final and only conditioner is a leave-in though.
I also occasionally use white vinegar instead.

Aromatic
April 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
I like a vinegar rinse a lot as we have incredibly hard, limy water where I live. It softens my hair. (Often I just forget to get the vinegar... I have to buy a bottle for the shower only.)

For all, who can't stand the smell: Why don't use lemon juice instead? It's all about the acid closing/smoothing the structure of the hair. (Sorry for my english, chemistry I find even in german hard to explain. But you get me, right?) Icy water will also help.

Rosepatrice
April 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
I do a very diluted ACV rinse after conditioning every now and then. Using ACV too much dries my fine hair.

Firefly
April 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I've done a lot of experimenting with ACV, and found for my hair it works best as a once-in-a-while rinse. Whenever I feel like my hair's getting a little dull-looking, I will shampoo & condition as normal, and rinse with full strength ACV. Then, I do a quick rinse to remove it, and that usually does the trick-- lots of shine!

littlemiss
April 3rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
I use WV after I CWC in the final rinse and get great results with lots of shine!!! I dont dilute it at all just pour straight on hair.
I can still smell it slightly but its not over powering in the next couple of weeks Im going to try leaving it in for a change. also want to try ACV but am using whats in the cupboard for now!!

Jorchet
April 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
I use ACV as a clarifier before my final rinse; I find it leaves my hair shinier and lighter. I do it every 2 to 3 weeks when I can find the time.

cutenappygrl
April 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I only use ACV sparingly b/c it does dry out my hair. But since ACV seals the hair cuticle by making the layers of your strands lay flatter I use it after my henna treatment to help seal in the color. Also if I have a lot of buildup I will use it as a clarifier to loosen up the dirt in my hair before I shampoo/condition. If I am not using regular castille soap or regular conditioner then I do a baking soda wash/ACV rinse and my hair comes out squeaky clean and shiny. I know its complicated - but ACV has a lot of uses!!!

ILikeTreefrogs
April 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
To be honest I'd never heard of it, I'm learning so many new things here!

atlantaz3
April 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I found if I splash some ACV on before washing out my smt it takes less shampooing - hopefully I'm not losing the effects of the smt. I do rinse off the vinegar from my hair - my back doesn't seem to appreciate vinegar left on it too drying for my skin.

rhubarbarin
April 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I do an ACV rinse after I CO, EVERY wash (otherwise I get major greasies). I do rinse it out, but only for a moment, and my scalp still smells like vinegar.. but once I add my leave-ins you can't smell it anymore.

1nuitblanche
April 11th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Because of the smell, I haven't used vinegar more than once.

Anlbe
April 11th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I used to use ACV to rinse before I highlighted it (now it's too dry), and my BF still does use it. Now I only drink it (a tablespoon or two) when I've eaten something a bit dodgy.

MoonSong
April 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but its on my to-do list. As a matter of fact I'm putting vinegar on my shopping list as I type this.

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 01:29 AM
WV (just because I already tend to have it around). Leave on for a minute or two, then rinse out. I chose after final conditioner, but I put some conditioner back in as a leave in afterwards. No vinegar smell lingers at all, especially with leave in conditioner.

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I currently use WV after FC. I do a final rinse with cold water after the WV. This brings the best consistant results for me.

n3m3sis42
May 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I use an ACV rinse after washing with my shampoo bar. I rinse it out and follow with a cold-water rinse. I don't use conditioner at all, and I don't have any problems with tangles.

My rinse is pretty strong compared to a lot of yours--2 tbsp ACV in around 1 cup of water.

Indigo Girl
May 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I swear by my ACV rinse - I use it every shower, after FC, in cold water final rinse. My hair loves it - makes it super shiny and soft.

It smells quite strong while it's wet, but you can't smell even the slightest hint of it while dry.

:crush: ACV!

Wind
May 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I must be the only one who actually likes the smell of ACV. Yummy.
When I had long(er) hair and went light on products I rinsed sparingly, on a regular schedule...and I don't remember how often that was. :lol:Now I do an ACV rinse after the final condish whenever the hair starts feeling gunky from too much buildup. I can't do this too often though, I get awesome shine but too many flyaways. I think I do 2-3 tbs. ACV to 2 c. water. Mostly I eyeball now. :p

silverwoods
May 31st, 2008, 08:29 AM
I use ACV as a rinse after I've done a hot oil treatment a few times a year.

centurytoolate
May 31st, 2008, 09:10 AM
I use a big splash of vinegar(I like the smell too!) in a litre cup full of water. I do this whenever my hair is feeling gunky and when I actually remember. I've got pretty thick hair which is why I use so much more vinegar than most people seem to.

danacc
May 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
I always use a vinegar rinse as the final part of my washing routine. I use the CWC method of cleaning my hair with hair conditioners and shampoo. I do a vinegar rinse after a thorough water-only rinse of the final conditioning from the length of my hair. I don't rinse the vinegar dilution out. I dilute the vinegar 1 part vinegar to 16 parts water. I pour it mostly on my scalp, but I consciously let it run down the length as well.

I'm currently using white vinegar, but I'm not particular about white versus apple cider.

On day 2, I oil my ends with coconut oil applied to hair when dry. But I don't consider this part of my washing routine, exactly, so I voted vinegar rinse after final conditioner, no rinsing.

Heidi W. wrote a good article on the purpose and benefits of vinegar rinses that you can find in the LHC archives here: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26643

yogachic
May 31st, 2008, 10:06 AM
My vinegar use is not hair related, i use it in my dishwasher, does that count. hee hee

Sunflower
June 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I drink ACV (yuck! but good for the body). I haven't used it in my hair for a long time - just as I haven't been at LHC for a long time. But maybe I'll start using both again. :)

Saranne772
June 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I havnt used it yet but am planning to use it as a final rinse after my shampoo bar wash

ETA- it will be AVC

Patrycja
June 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I use a rinse out ACV after final condish when I use a poo bar or with a commercial poo.I just have to make absolute sure I dilute it enough or I'll end up with the major greasies after DD1

flapjack
June 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM
At the end of my shower, after washing and conditioning, I will put some acv in a bottle with water and jojoba oil and squirt it on my hair only from the shoulders down. Then I rinse it with cooler water. I think it makes my hair smoother and shinier. I am also one of the few who like the smell of the vinegar, as well. And I definitely don't get it anywhere near my scalp, it will make my hair greasy for days if I do that.

Stagecoach
June 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I like to do a ACV rinse after my scalp shampoo and before I condition the length.

ladystar
June 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I use ACV after I CO let it sit then rinse. I am going to try leaving it in next time.

Medvssa
June 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I prefer white wine vinegar but here in Belgium apparently it is a delicatessen, heheh. So well I used white vinegar, which I don't like much, and lately I tried apple cider vinegar (also only in glass bottle o_O) which is only a little better. Next I will try to hunt down a bottle of white wine vinegar. Or maybe red, since my hair is dark ;P

The smell goes away in 5 minutes, but white vinegar smell stays in the towels. My poor BF hates it. Haven't noticed anything about apple cider vinegar yet. White vinegar just stinks :P

I use it after the wash, as a final rinse. 1/8 vinegar/water (mineral or distilled) or so.
It was also great as a fixative after a henna or dye treatment.

Eden Iris
June 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I use a WV solution, which I rinse out, to rinse out my conditioner after a shampoo bar wash. It gives me shine and lots of waves. I will try ACV, since I've got some in the cupboard, but I don't mind the smell of WV. I only really notice the smell when I'm showering between wash days; the steam brings it out.

Flutterbee
June 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I no longer use it on my hair at all. My hard water makes the smell linger and build up, and it's not pleasant. Makes for a great pasta dressing though :)

NorthernDancer
June 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I use ACV with an herb mix. I only sometimes condition, if I do it's after the ACV with a rinse inbetween.

I use alot, according to what's listed here. I use about 1 part ACV to 3 parts water/herb mix. I just eyeball it, so I don't know exactly.
I might try it after my conditioner. I never thought to do that before. Always learing something new when I come here!

PrincessColene
March 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I'm really just here researching different routines to try. I am thinking I will try "WV leave in before FC" If that works I'll repost.

viking_quest
March 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
I use AVC after I rinse out conditioner and leave it in. It smells when I put it on but it goes away pretty quickly.

Shorty89
March 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
I use a WV rinse as a stand along when my hair is dirty but not dirty enough to warrant a CO wash.