PDA

View Full Version : which buns work with a single stick

intothemist1999
January 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I hope this question isn't too close to this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=433503#post433503) I guess we both have buns 'n sticks on the brain :)

I love sticks, but don't use them much. I started this year with a weekly up-do challenge, but with the problems I was having with my late kitty, I didn't get past the so-called "hair trick bun". It's a small bun, which I can do with a short stick.

However, I'm curious just what buns can be held securely with just one stick (I prefer using just one), and I don't mind if it needs to be based with a pony tail (to make sure it doesn't budge, I've ponied the hair trick bun). The fewer bobby pins, the better, too.

I'm guess there's also the easy hairstick bun, chinese bun, figure 8/infinity...that's about as far as I get. Can a cinnabun hold with a stick (I'm just not seein' it)? I hope it can, as I'd like a bigger bun (something wider, I guess).

ETA: ok, I just saw SweetPea's orchid bun (not familiar with that one) so I'll that, too

SweetPea88
January 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Well I just posted in that thread with pictures and all of the styles required just one stick.

I prefer to just use one as well and I usually do: cinnabun, figure 8, orchid bun, chinese bun, braided bun, rose bun.

intothemist1999
January 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Well I just posted in that thread with pictures and all of the styles required just one stick.

I prefer to just use one as well and I usually do: cinnabun, figure 8, orchid bun, chinese bun, braided bun, rose bun.

Ok, I'll look up rose bun (don't know that one either!) and I can't figure out how to make a cinnabun stay with a stick, because of the multiple "rings".

Mary <><
January 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72

This one has become my daily "uniform" style! It is very easy and so elegant! The video is quite helpful!

misstwist
January 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I would suggest that if you can't get a cinnabun to hold with only one stick you aren't twisting it tight enough or coiling it tight enough. A cinnabun with one stick is my throw it up in the morning while I get coffee and breakfast and do the dishes. I don't give my hair any real attention until I get dressed.

Also, it's not a bun, but Hypnotica has a new tutorial up on a french twist variation held with one stick that I've been wearing the past couple days at a tradeshow.

Sam-I-Am
January 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Eh...the cinnamon bun doesn't hold for me with one stick either. My hair is just too heavy.

The inside-out bun is my go-to single stick style. I actually make it very similarly to the link Mary posted above; I just keep wrapping the ends of my hair around the center part until I run out.

intothemist1999
January 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72

This one has become my daily "uniform" style! It is very easy and so elegant! The video is quite helpful!

My dear girl, consider yourself SMOOCHED!! LOL I love it! It feels so secure and I like how it's so easy to get the ends tucked away into it! I also like that it's bigger than the one I've been doing.

Guess what I'm wearing for my next week's challenge!! :)

Mary <><
January 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
My dear girl, consider yourself SMOOCHED!! LOL I love it! It feels so secure and I like how it's so easy to get the ends tucked away into it! I also like that it's bigger than the one I've been doing.

Guess what I'm wearing for my next week's challenge!! :)

LOL! Thanks for the muchas smoochas, but it really should go to Savi as she is the one who posted the instructions! Savi, THANKS A MILLION! :smooch: <--- (from me & intothemist1999)

Now you know why it is my daily uniform! It really doesn't give me bun waves either, at least none to speak of. Glad you liked it!

RoseRedDead
January 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Nightshade's Equilibrium bun holds with one stick!

Nightshade
January 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM

:lol: You beat me to it :)

A Gibraltar is another great 1 stick bun!

manderly
January 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
My Manderly Bun/Gibson Twist (siggy link) is a little different and only requires a single stick. Holds great :)

intothemist1999
January 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM

:lol: You beat me to it :)

A Gibraltar is another great 1 stick bun!

Good grief, I knew those two, too. :o I tell you, my brain is just not right since this business with my kitty...

I like the Equilibrium bun. I haven't been able to get a Gibraltar to hold yet.

frizzinator
January 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
The thickness of your hair might make it more difficult to hold some buns with just one stick, but you will overcome this problem when your hair gets longer.

You should try the gibraltar bun stick placement to secure your cinnamon bun, whereby you insert the stick into the second coil or "ring" (counting from the outside), then the stick slides along the scalp and exits through the second coil or "ring" (counting from the outside) on the other side of the bun. Thus, the ends of the stick hold the outer "ring" against your head. I think you will be able to do it and it is very secure. Here is an example of this stick placement with a flipped-up cinnamon bun.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/41508058-1.jpg

frizzinator
January 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You might also be able to do the Karen Lynn knot. Here is an example.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/42208.jpg

dorothea-brooke
January 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I second (third?) the Gibraltar bun.... But I gotta tell you, when I'm in my bathrobe and go to scoop out the catbox before I shower, it's lazy wrap all the way.... I can do it in about 6 seconds, half asleep, in the dark, hung over (heck, drunk!) -- it's just the fastest way to throw up my hair and get it out of the way. It's even how I put up my hair to shower on days when I'm not washing it.

That's how fast and easy it is.

Plus, it also actually looks great -- so should the UPS guy come when you're scooping out the catbox, the only thing you need to be embarrassed about is your bathrobe. ;)

OhioLisa
January 25th, 2009, 03:50 AM
The swirly bun is my fave one-stick style. :D

TheaEvanda
January 25th, 2009, 03:58 AM
The nautilus bun also is fine with one hairstick, or none, if done tightly enough. (It's currently in my signature)

--Thea
Herzogenaurach, Germany