PDA

View Full Version : How to keep dark hair dark

Yedda
January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hello,

If you look at my signature picture, you will see how dark my hair used to be.

It seems to have lightened up a bit.

1-Are there any tips to prevent dark hair from lightening?

2-Since it seems my hair has already lightened a bit, are there any ways to darken hair without dye?

Thanks!

jojo
January 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
As hair gets longer and ages its natural for it to lighten. I hear molasses used in conditioner is good for darkening hair though and acts as a wonderful conditioner, I haven't used this as my hair isn't particularly dark but I have read many posts regarding this.

Put molasses in the search, theres quite a few posts about this. HTH x

Yedda
January 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
As hair gets longer and ages its natural for it to lighten. I hear molasses used in conditioner is good for darkening hair though and acts as a wonderful conditioner, I haven't used this as my hair isn't particularly dark but I have read many posts regarding this.

Put molasses in the search, theres quite a few posts about this. HTH x

Thanks, will do:D

Leabhar
January 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Maybe tea or coffee soaks? I've never tried it, btw.

If you're willing to try a bit of dye, henna+indigo seems to work well for many.

MissBellydance
January 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Like Leabhar mentioned, tea and coffee soaks might help. I found with my experimentation that black tea worked well to darken hair but the coffee seemed to lighten my already dark hair, also adding a reddish tinge, (personally I loved it).

I have also heard that rosemary is supposed to be good for dark brown hair, but I'm not really sure what it does.

But yeah, the tea and coffee may effect everyone's hair differently, but good luck if you try it! :)

Just_Isabel
January 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Do you notice that your hair goes lighter in summer? The first thing that I think of when I hear (or read) of dark hair going lighter is sun / water.

There are products that protect your hair from the sun, and you could also cover your head for even better protection. If you swim regularly (in summer or all year long), there are also things you can do.

HTH

mellie
January 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I agree with protecting your hair from the sun. That's the best way to keep your hair from getting bleached lighter.

SweetPea88
January 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
What I do when I know I will be out in the sun is put coconut oil in my hair, braid or bun it, and try to keep it covered. I've also done rosemary rinses, which I think do help over time.

Linda K
January 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I have only read about Batana Oil. It is described as:
All Natural Batana Oil (Ojon) Hair Treatment. This is great for preventing white hair, gives more shine, and helps stop hair falling.

It's too late for me. You can easily find it on Ebay (search). It comes from the Honduras. When I questioned if it really worked the response was: it won't change white back to dark but it will prevent more. Maybe someone else here at the forum has experience. ;-)

Side note: nature tends to soften our skin tone as well as the hair color - you might want to let a little show!

Tangles
January 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm interested in this too.
I feel like when the sun bleaches my hair reddish at the ends, it becomes frizzy looking in those areas, and that's an effect I truly don't like.

I don't mind getting tanned in summer, but I like to preserve a contrast between my hair and skin... NOT a fan of auburn hair and tanned skin.