PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels waxy?

Rohele
January 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
I've been CO for about two month now, using no cones at this point, and noticed the last time I washed my hair that it felt very waxy as I was rinsing it. I just clarified recently to rid my hair of the last of the cones I had been using so I don't think its buildup.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I had done a heavy oiling several hours prior and thought maybe that was it. My hair felt OK when it was dry, but I never encountered anything remotely like this when I was using shampoo on a regular basis. Is something from my condishoner building up really fast (using suave naturals) or can using oil make your hair feel like this?

Dianyla
January 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Is something from my condishoner building up really fast (using suave naturals) or can using oil make your hair feel like this?
Waxy feeling can be caused by too much sebum, wax buildup from conditioner (some conditioners actually contain wax), or buildup from oils. Or any combination of the three.

Lots of longterm CO washes occasionally do a wash with shampoo to reduce buildup.

viking_quest
January 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
My hair feels waxy if I haven't washed in a while (i.e. a lot of natural oil in my hair), so that could be the case with you.

Rohele
January 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
some conditioners actually contain wax.

Is there any particular ingredient to look out for?

In retrospect, I think this last time it was perhaps was from the jojoba oil I had used. I noticed a similar feeling on my hands when I was washing them after applying some the next day.

Carolyn
January 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM
An occasional wash using shampoo/diluted shampoo or a CWC wash should take care of the problem. I've been told that Suave poo's build up more than VO5 or WR.

Dianyla
January 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Is there any particular ingredient to look out for?
I can recall seeing "emulsifying wax" listed outright as an ingredient.

In retrospect, I think this last time it was perhaps was from the jojoba oil I had used. I noticed a similar feeling on my hands when I was washing them after applying some the next day.
My experience with jojoba oil is that it's more likely to leave your hair looking wet or stringy if you apply too much. The more solid fats like coconut oil or shea butter can leave more of a waxy hard feeling.

ETA: I'll also point out that even over-oiling doesn't usually give me a bad waxy feeling. Conditioner buildup is a much more likely culprit, IMO.

dearladydisdain
January 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I would recommend washing with shampoo or baking soda. Then try going back to CO. You might find that CO just doesn't work for you, or you could find that you just need to clarify every once in a while. :)

Rohele
January 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM
The more solid fats like coconut oil or shea butter can leave more of a waxy hard feeling.

Hmmm - good to know. I've been trying out a heavier conditioner on my ends that contains shea butter.

And looking at the ingredients on the suave naturals, yeah, I can believe that some of those might build up (its not exactly "natural" lol), so I'm thinking the occasional shampoo might be a good addition to the routine.

Deemeeuh
November 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Good post! I have the same question that I'm really hoping you guys can give some input on..
My hair too has been really waxy lately (in look and feel).
Background: I used to lighten my hair and it would occasionally get a bit waxy the longer I went between touch-ups. The weird thing is, it wasn't the virgin roots that felt waxy- it was the hair immediately after the roots to down about 2 inches. Currently, the ends are soft but can get a little dry and tangly (from old damage that I've stopped), the middle length of my hair is okay, the roots are soft, just those 2 inches of color processed hair (immediately after the roots) are waxy.
Almost two months ago, I got my hair darkened as close as possible to my normal shade & have entirely stopped getting it colored. These past 2 weeks, the same waxy feel & look has been occurring EVEN after I have been using a clear-colored shampoo, not conditioning the roots, using no products afterwards, and with or without blow-drying. Unlike Rohele, I have done no oilings this past month. Also, I was using a diluted (1/8 cup vinegar to 2 cups water) ACV rinse daily for two weeks but have not in the past week because this was occurring. But it is still occurring so maybe that wasn't the problem? Or maybe the cuticle is too sealed?

Does anyone know what's going on? And is this a healthy state for my hair to be in? I hesitate to try too hard to strip whatever this is from my hair in case doing so turns the healthy parts to straw again (which it very recently was). What should I do?

Thank you!!