PDA

View Full Version : I Managed To Do a Scalp Wash!!

MadHatter
March 27th, 2008, 11:41 PM
For the first time, and I don't think I did too bad. It was quick and easy! The only problem is that the moisture migrated down when I was finished and my head was upright. At least the last 6 or 7 inches stayed dry.
Yay, I'm doing more to protect my ends :cheese:!!

MerryKat
March 28th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks for your sharing your experience. This is something I need to learn to do - I currently follow a NW routine (my hair is happiest) but my scalp enjoys a wash about every 2nd month and this would save me needing to wet the length.

tiny_teesha
March 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM
WOW Merry Cat, i wish i could do that!
I don't think scalp wash would work for me..... But when my lenght is lengthier i shall give it a try!

Bloodflower
March 28th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Congratulations, MadHatter! What did you do to keep your lengths dry? Did you use a plastic bag? I haven't tried a scalp wash yet but it is something I intent to try.

Gesner
March 28th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Wow! I'm with Bloodflower, I need details! I want to learn to do scalp washes, too, so I'm all ears!

xrosiex
March 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Wow! I'm with Bloodflower, I need details! I want to learn to do scalp washes, too, so I'm all ears!
I've been wanting to do this. More info please.:)

angelthadiva
March 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
These take a lot of practice...My first attempt went really well, but I have been unable to duplicate since! :(

MadHatter
March 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Here's what I did (I hope I can duplicate it next time!):
I began a braid, loosely. Once I had woven it a few times, I did it tighter (I figured that the water wouldn't wick down as easily through a tight braid). I secured the braid with an elastic, then put it in a plastic bag. I closed the opening of the bag very tightly with another elastic.
For the actual washing, I leaned over the tub. The bag kept falling over my shoulder, but that didn't seem to cause any problems. Since I had started the braid loosely, I was able to get the shampoo all over my scalp with ease. Rinsing the shampoo out was cake, too.
Since I was bent at the waist, water and shampoo ran down my face, but it was okay: I'm not bothered by getting my face sopping wet and I kept my eyes closed. I had a towel on hand in case I needed to open my eyes.
The wash process took all of two minutes, so there was no discomfort (in neck or back) :D
I should probably also mention that I used a detachable shower head.
I knew a while back that I needed to start doing scalp washes if I wanted to keep my length looking decent, but I thought it would be a lot of effort, so I kept putting off trying it. It actually required less effort than a normal wash, was much faster, and I think my scalp got cleaner since my length wasn't plastered to my back (which inhibits my ability to get shampoo all over my scalp - the back of my head tends to get neglected with a normal wash).
The only problem, as I mentioned, was that some moisture migrated down when I was finished. But it didn't get terribly far. I probably could have prevented it by pulling out more water with the towel, and not combing so soon after.

Raederle
March 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
You could also try putting a bun way up on the top of the head, done loosely so you can get under it and work the shampoo into the scalp. Secure it, and put a plastic bag or shower cap over it. Then you would shampoo standing up, and gravity would be working on your side to keep the water from wicking upwards.

carloota
March 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Interesting. I've been wanting to try scalp washes for quite a while. I'm glad MadHatter provided details. Thank you.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM
For the first time, and I don't think I did too bad. It was quick and easy! The only problem is that the moisture migrated down when I was finished and my head was upright. At least the last 6 or 7 inches stayed dry.
Yay, I'm doing more to protect my ends :cheese:!!

Grats!!!
Now give the rest of us pointers!! :p

Raederle
March 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54115&highlight=scalp+wash) is an archived thread that goes into great detail of the benefits and techniques of scalp washing.

Guenever
March 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54115&highlight=scalp+wash) is an archived thread that goes into great detail of the benefits and techniques of scalp washing.

Thanks for the link :) -- just too bad that the archive is down at the moment :/

Raederle
March 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Do you mean that you are unable to read the link? I tested it, and it works for me.

Guenever
March 30th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Do you mean that you are unable to read the link? I tested it, and it works for me.

Nope, doesn't work for me.. Nothing in the archive does.. I tried logged in, logged out, differerent enterings.. nothing..
I just get the old: "There seems to have been a problem with the The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards database.
Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."-message..

Chamomile betty
March 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Yeah!
I've never been able to get the hang of them. Very glad you did!

lilalong
March 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Congratulations!!!

Raederle
March 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Nope, doesn't work for me.. Nothing in the archive does.. I tried logged in, logged out, differerent enterings.. nothing.. ...

Sorry for the confusion. The gist of the thread is the benefits to the scalp of scalp washing, protecting the length from so much handling. There are two primary methods -- the bending over the water source with hair in a braid, or the method I suggested here, of putting your hair high atop the head, and being able to stay upright.

Either way, you want to secure the hair loosely enough so that you can manipulate the scalp hair without pulling on the length. Some of the moisture might wick up your length, but far less than a total soaking would do.

Both plastic bags and shower caps, well secured, were used to hold the length.

I think that's the highlights of the process.

Guenever
March 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Okay - thanks Raederle! :flowers:

Snowymoon
March 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
This is a must, I think. I have tried it off and on, at first with no success followed by a few successful attempts. :cheese: I have never used the bag method. I think I shall.

My hair is nearly classic and is really heavy when fully wet. The full wash process is a pain, even if I only do it once a week. :rolleyes: I think it is time to stretch it out some. ;) My first goal is to wash the length only once per 2 weeks and then once per month.

My question to scalp washers is, how often do you do a full-length wash? :D

Beatnik Guy
March 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I use the showercap method (slide back and hold bundle with one hand; shampoo scalp with other).

Snowy, I wash the length about every four weeks. It'll be five this time though as it's not at all bad at four and it also transpired that I was kinda lazy on Friday night so just washed scalp.

MusingFrog
March 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I used to do scalp washes all the time and once you get the hang of them they can be very quick. My method was very similar to what others have said:

I wrapped up most of my hair in a loose bun, put a shower cap over the bun, and secured the showercap. I also always made the base really loose so I always had a few inches of hair between my head and the bag, I did this so that I could balance the bag on top of my head if I wanted my hands free. Using this method I rarely got the hair inside the bag wet at all, even from wicking.

I don't do this anymore (I wash just once a week now), but I'm glad I know how.

Raederle
March 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I'm doing a full length about every three weeks or so. Sometimes I get the length wet when it gets hot, so I can enjoy the cooling effect.

MerryKat
April 2nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for this. I have a very dry and itchy scalp at the moment and I am dying to wash it, but my length is happy not being wet and is just recovering after it's last wash, so scalp washing sounds like a dream come true for me.

Diamondgirl2003
April 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
This is funny I came across this thread I thought wow:agape: I thought I was the only 1!!! I felt a littlle goofy doing it. and I have to admit I didnt do it for any other reason than Im lazy!!! I put off washing my hair and it started getting a lil' too oily for comfort also I had to get ready in an like 30 minutes. So I ran in the restroom put my hair in loose ponytail(bent at waist using the spout) 1 hand holding the end straight up wrapping a lil legnth in my hand and washing with the other hand then when I was done parted a lil without dropping the legnth and pat dry. I had a nice clean head and dry ponytail!!! I didnt want to walk out the house with a case of the dirties or sopping wet hair cause my hair is thick so it dries in a slow manner, who has time to wait around while their hair dries !!!! Im so lazy!!! lol!!:)

minnie may
May 11th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I do the wrap around hand thing too when I scalp wash.
I tried the braid and the bun in bag methods but got worse tangling with those when trying to detangle afterwards and more water wicked in the lenght.
Now I just detangle, lean backwards, gather hair as if for a high ponytail and starting a few inches from where I would put an elastic I wrap it around my left hand. then I bend forward in the tub or over the tub and scalp wash using a detachable showerhead. It works with a stationary one too if it's not mounted to high on the wall and does not spray to much around. I keep the showerhead pretty close to my scalp when wetting and rinsing.
When I have the hair in my hand I have better control and can let a bit more hair slip out if needed, move the place over which I hoover with the hand a littel arķund so as to loosen different parts so I can get there with the fingers of the other hand when lathering up or with the showerhead.
Then I squeeze exess water from the "stem" of the would be ponytail and from my forehead and use a turbietowel in wichs bottom I put the dry hair. Works wonders.