PDA

View Full Version : How often should I clarify?

RancheroTheBee
January 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
I reintroduced -cones into my hair using a leave-in conditioner that seems to be doing nice stuff for the slip of my hair. That said, I don't use an SLS shampoo, and my regular conditioner is cone-free.

So, if I'm using the leave-in once or twice a week, how often should I be clarifying?

Also, it contains amodimethicone. Is this water-soluble?

aisling
January 23rd, 2009, 01:52 AM
How often you need to clarify is not something anybody else than you can tell. You'll have to follow how your hair feels and then clarify as needed, I don't recommend clarifying on a schedule and out of habit. If your ends turn really dry and stick to each other, then clarify. Same thing if you think your hair is very lank and never feels and look clean, then clarify.

RancheroTheBee
January 23rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hmmm, makes sense. Yeah, I cut it the other week because someone told me that since my ends were dry, I should trim it. Then, a day or two later, I thought, "Mmm, right. Clarifying."

I tried an ACV rinse, but it didn't seem to work. Any other suggestions?

OhioLisa
January 23rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
ACV is not a clarifier. It simply allows for a clean rinse of your current wash. A basic clarifying shampoo will work.

RancheroTheBee
January 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM
:bigeyes: I think I am beginning to see why I've had issues with growing out my hair....

Peter
January 23rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Is there a reason you don't use an SLS shampoo periodically? If you're using a leave-in with cones, I would try using one on your whole length whenever it starts to feel either too dry or too greasy and lifeless.

That said, I think a lot of clarifying shampoos contain ammonium lauryl sulfate or SLS. If you don't want to use those, you could also try baking soda.

Anje
January 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Amodimethicone isn't water soluble.

Like others have said, you'll want to clarify when your hair starts to feel tangly or dry in a way that conditioning isn't fixing. Probably at least every few weeks, but you really need to go by feel, not by schedule. Baking soda or a sulfate shampoo are the only normal things you can use to clarify, and I personally vastly prefer the shampoo, as baking soda can be seriously hard on your hair.

Carolyn
January 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
Let your hair tell you when it needs to be clarified. Do it on an as needed basis. After clarifying make sure that you put the moisture back in with nice rich moisturizing conditioners. I like to follow a clarifying wash with a SMT. ACV only removes the residue following that particular wash.

suicides_eve
January 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
the article for vinegar is http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=56

(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=56)

I clarify about once a month if that even with baking soda, diluted, then i follow up with a deep conditioner As always i recommend Nexxus Humcantress, best stuff i ever found.. i leave on under a shower cap while i clean about the house and rinse when ever.. really helps bring life back to my hair

jivete
January 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
I shampoo if my scalps starts to ache (something I noticed when I quite using shampoo, tends to happy every 6 weeks or so) or my hair feels gunky.

If you really like a schedule and don't otherwise use shampoo, I'd just do it once a month, like the first of the month. If your hair feels icky in between you can do it again. I don't actually use a clarifying shampoo, but I do use one that removes chlorine. My hair always looks superb afterwards.

jivete
January 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Oh and I do second doing a super moisture treatment afterwards. Shampoo makes my hair dry, dry, dry.

I also use a vinegar rinse everytime I wash. It makes my hair smooth and shiny. Plus I do think it help rinse away residue or mineral deposits. For best results, I mix a tiny bit, like 1/4tsp in 8oz distilled water, rinse and leave in.

RancheroTheBee
January 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
@ Peter: The reason I don't typically use an SLS shampoo is because the climate here is very dry, and using it too often dries out my scalp and hair.

Okay, I caved and bought a clarifying shampoo. Wish me luck. :p

RancheroTheBee
January 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
>_<; Oh, yeah, haha. Thank you all for your replies, it was a big help.