PDA

View Full Version : "Embrace hope - and hair equality"

Lamb
January 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.thestar.com/News/Columnist/article/575265

Interesting article in the Toronto Star...

Fillette
January 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Very interesting article! Thank you for sharing :))
It is quite unfortunate that people get categorized and stereotyped based only on their hair color. Most people have a hair color that suits their face and their features. The idea that a blonde needs to dye her hair brown or black to be successful is a little excessive for me. And I can't believe I am going to say this but... it's just hair! It doesn't necessarily reflect your credentials/qualifications/intelligence, your ability to have fun or your ability to seduce.

RavennaNight
January 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Interesting... What can I say without using the couch emoticon... Having been the brunt of blonde jokes all my pre-black-hair life... I still joke about my roots coming in if I'm forgetful or being a ditz. But all joking aside, its just hair, it hangs off the scalp, outside. Brains are inside.

Kuchen
January 23rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'd just read this when I came across this headline: "Schoolgirls banned from lessons by headmaster for being 'too blonde (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1126582/Schoolgirls-banned-lessons-headmaster-blonde.html)'"

Seems like an extreme case!

But yes, I hate the use of hair colour as a classifier. The Mail is especially bad about it. They describe women thus "the 44 year old blonde" "the 18 year old red-head" whether it's a piece about macroeconomics or crime. As though women came in three species, blonde, brunette and redhead.

flapjack
January 23rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
So so tired of personality traits based on meaningless crap like hair color, skin color, eye color, height, weight, etc. This has got to stop, honestly. It's beyond stupid at this point and it was never really that funny to start.

I have about 12 shades of all three of those haircolors on my head right now, so I really can't claim to be bias towards any particular group. I've got some black in there, too! From what I've seen in life, people who hate a haircolor are truly just jealous. The ginger thing is a perfect example.

Johanna
January 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
I am a natural blonde under my dyed light chocolate brown. When I state this to people who haven't known me pre-dye they look at me and say;

".....but you don't seem like a blonde"

I'm unsure what to reply in those cases....uh....thanks? o_O

mellie
January 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Interesting findings!

I hadn't heard the one about redheads!!

MemSahib
January 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Well now, interesting article. Doubly interesting that grey hair was not even mentioned. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

As far as the Daily Mail article goes, I know a woman whose hair is naturally platinum blonde. She would have to dye it dark, according to this idiot schoolmaster?

Both of these articles press my buttons. (Yes, I understand that the first article takes much the position I do, but the attitudes she mentions infuriate me.) I do not care for unnatural hair colors, but honestly, whose business is it to decide if I am smart, stupid, sexy, or whatever based solely on my hair color? Bah. The world is mad.

Copasetic
January 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Wow, its kind of scary that people assume so much based on hair colour.

squiggyflop
January 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
never in my life had i heard that about redheads.. im sure lots of guys would marry a redhead over a brunet.. i dont like things lumped into one category like that.. being a redhead or a blond doesnt make a person less intelligent..

Just_Isabel
January 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Wow, its kind of scary that people assume so much based on hair colour.

The sad truth is that people constantly make such assumptions based just on appearance. I'm sure they also judge and assume based on straight vs. wavy vs. curly - someone (Girlcat?) posted a link to an article about that some time ago.
I'm not really surprised. I don't like it, but I'm not surprised.

JamieLeigh
January 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Here is my favorite part of the article:

Now, before you snicker and dismiss this as blow-dried nonsense, let us snip away the half-truths and comb through the numbers. (See what I did there?)

LOL. :D

I really hope and pray that there are more people out there who actually use the brains God gave them, and do not stereotype hair color. Honestly! :rolleyes:

That said, it did really really really bug me that my ex-husband preferred redheads openly, to my brown hair. Which is one of the many nice reasons he's my EX. :p

Darkhorse1
January 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
It's a well written article, but it's still a generalization in regards to hair color. Does a potential boss hire only brunettes? Course not. And where do the black hair/red head/gray haired people fall then??

Cute article, but I'm not going to sit here thinking I"m smart because of my hair color.

Islandgrrl
January 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I think the article actually has a lot of truth to it. I am a natural redhead, but without the whole redhead complexion - just the red hair and green eyes.

I spent YEARS coloring my hair brown - and yes, I was taken more seriously as a brunette. That mattered to me when I was in my 20s and early 30s. I couldn't give a rat's behind anymore (which is why I don't color my hair anymore other than to cover the grey at my temples with henna).

Coloring my hair brown also stopped all the comments and idiotic speculation :steam (and you know what 'm talking about here) about whether I was a natural redhead.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
LOL! The "era of follicle equality".

flapjack
January 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
never in my life had i heard that about redheads.. im sure lots of guys would marry a redhead over a brunet.. i dont like things lumped into one category like that.. being a redhead or a blond doesnt make a person less intelligent..

Where are these men with preferences for haircolor? Because I honestly have yet to meet a single one. Sounds like their "personality" is much too superficial for my tastes.

squiggyflop
January 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Sounds like their "personality" is much too superficial for my tastes.
too superficial for me too.... but im surrounded by college boys barely out of highschool.. so they still act like they are 12.. hehe and they are quite superficial..

flapjack
January 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I teach college boys all day and work with graduate school boys who still act like college boys so I can understand that, hahaha.

Kuchen
January 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Another article on gingerism (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/24/gingerism-ginger-prejudice), tied to an exhibition in London.