PDA

View Full Version : do I need to trim? (pics)

Bene
January 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
help? i'm leaving my hair up to the wise advice of my hair gurus....

i've got the heavy duty winter stalling and i'm fighting for every inch (mega-tek, vitamins, protein and deep moisturizing). but my ends have been feeling kinda funky and coarse. i think they look uneven too, i can't decide if i should trim or not. it seems like i've been stuck at BSL since summer :confused:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/IMAGE_581.jpg http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/IMAGE_580.jpg

got a little oil happy last night, hence the extra greasy look :o

Tap Dancer
January 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
A small trim should help with the coarse-feeling ends. And since you think your hair is uneven, I think you should trim. You'll feel better about your hair.

OhioLisa
January 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Doesn't look to me like you need a trim. If your ends feel funky, have you had a good S&D mission lately? Have you clarified lately? Worth a try. :shrug: Your ends look pretty darn good to me though. I don't see why you would need to trim at this point.

spidermom
January 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Your ends look kind of puffy to me, and I think a small trim would do a world of good to make them feel and behave better. Do try clarifying followed by a deep moisture treatment first if you haven't. (P.S. - BSL is a wide area; don't despair. You'll pass it this spring/summer, I am sure.)

Beloved
January 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
It would be easier to tell whether there's damage if you posted a pic before you oil.

I wouldn't worry about the unevenness, wavy hair is usually a little uneven.

MunchkinBubble
January 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
It doesn't look like you need a trim at all! (you should see my ends when I need a trim!)

IF you do decide to trim, just try an 1/8", even that small amount can do wonders for your hemline.

Bene
January 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
been doing the S&D thing every day for like 5 minutes at a time. i don't find split ends just tapered bits which i snip off.

but i think spidermom is right. i should clarify first then and try a deep conditioning before i resort to scissors.... thank you :)

i feel like i'm begging for hair intervention hahahahahahahahaha

BlackfootHair
January 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I agree with clarifying first. :) And a deep moisture treatment always makes hair feel better. :)

Buggheart
January 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
It looks pretty good to me, but I know what you mean about it feeling weird. When my ends start to feel dry and funky I know it's time for a very conservative trim which always makes everything feel so much better.

Curlsgirl
January 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
It is very hard to tell with the oil and I think there is a good chance it could just need a good clarifying and conditioning. I hope that helps and you don't have to trim.

Deborah
January 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I think a nice trim, say one inch, would leave your hair feeling very well and looking lovely. :)

DecafJane
January 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I think your ends look fine, but if you want to trim because it feels like it needs it, it us up to you. :)

Tressie
January 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I think your hair looks great! It's shiny, rich, wavy and your hemline is nice and thick! (o:

Elphie
January 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
If you haven't clarified recently, I'd certainly try that and a nice moisturizing conditioner afterwards...if that doesn't change how they look and feel, perhaps a slight trim is in order.

salamander
January 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Have you tried backing off on the protein a little? If you're erring too far on the side of protein rather than moisture, that could make your ends feel funny.

Niphredil
January 23rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
It doesn't look like it needs a trim, but if the ends are feeling different than usual or tangle more than usual, then a small trim, less than 0.5" might help. You can always try to trim a bit more after that if you think it is necessary.
I also second the clarifying. I have no clue about your normal routine, but a simple wash with SL(E)S shampoo, including the length, might also help the feeling of those ends. Follow that with a nice moisturizing treatment of your choice.

As for S&D, I wouldn't trim those tapered hairs at all! Just the splits and white dots (soon to be splits).

HTH