View Full Version : ACV rinse ???

littlemiss
March 27th, 2008, 08:57 PM
ok, I did my first ACV rinse yesterday and my hair was so shiney it loved it~!!!:D, can you all tell me how often do you do this and what works for you IM interested!!!

Shell
March 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I do it every time I wash (every 5-7 days) but really only on my scalp. I used to like it on my length, but lately it's been better without it.

I use it because I helps my scalp stay calm, clean, and non itchy.

Miss Murphy
March 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I use it everytime I wash, too. I use hair soaps, so I really need the rinse to balance out my pH-level. I do dip my length in it first, then pour it over my head.

FrannyG
March 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I use ACV rinse after every CO, which is every 2 to 3 days.

Gothic Lolita
March 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Can hair get darker when ACV is used too often? Somebidy told me than vinegar has a bleaching effect on hair, but I think my hair looks a bit darker. Maybe I used too much....

savi
March 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM
If I remember right ACV can darken blonde hair, but white vinegar could be used in stead of ACV since it doesn't darken hair.. HTH

MeMyselfandI
March 28th, 2008, 07:11 AM
littlemiss,

I did my first vinegar rinse yesterday, and was very happy with how my hair felt. I used white vinegar.

I also have questions about how it is used etc. I starta a poll about it.

If I remember right ACV can darken blonde hair, but white vinegar could be used in stead of ACV since it doesn't darken hair.. HTH

Thanks that is interesting.

morningstar
March 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Ok I have a question. I have been using ACV on my twins (age 5) they have waist hair and it is getting tangly and I use many products to keep it soft and combable. My mom says that using ACV could be drying since it is an acid. After I use it though their hair is nice and smooth again.
Am I hurting their hair or healing it?

Oh and I forgot to add that I only use it once a month to take care of product buildup.

Gothic Lolita
March 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
@morningstar: I remember something about that. Somewhere I heard that it's got something to do, whether the vinegar is fruit based or not. It said that you should only use fruit based vinegar on hair, because it's acid less agressive

AJoifulNoise
March 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I do an ACV rinse about once a week. But, I do it for scalp itchies. It tends to make my hair fuzzy. So, if my scalp isn't itchy, I don't do the ACV rinse.

squiggyflop
March 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
i dont do it as often as i should but have you tryed using herbal tea instead of water? it smells wonderful! sometimes ill steep some orange/lemon rinds in with some jasmine green tea ... i make about 3 rinses worth of it at a time.i just store the extra in the fridge.. right before i bathe i pour some in a cup add a little vinegar and im good to go and it smells wonderful..

oooo you could use lavender flowers too! just steep them like tea and let it cool in the fridge

Chromis
March 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I use either an ACV or a citric acid rinse every time I wash (another shampoo bar user here). I've been experimenting with adding a drop of rosemary eo with great success and plan to try making rosemary-infused acv after I move.

Delilah
March 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I use it every wash. About 50ml or so, diluted in a few cups of water with 2-3 drops of rosemary EO.

Robinlyn
March 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I do a acv rinse every 2 days after using my poo bar. It hasn't darkened my hair at all. If I use too much acv in the mix it makes my hair a little greasy looking.

chotee
March 30th, 2008, 07:26 AM
i dont do it as often as i should but have you tryed using herbal tea instead of water? it smells wonderful! sometimes ill steep some orange/lemon rinds in with some jasmine green tea ... i make about 3 rinses worth of it at a time.i just store the extra in the fridge.. right before i bathe i pour some in a cup add a little vinegar and im good to go and it smells wonderful..

oooo you could use lavender flowers too! just steep them like tea and let it cool in the fridge

I love the idea, thanks...
chotee

littlemiss
March 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM

squiggyflop
Thats sounds devine!! I must try it!! besides the smell what does it do for your hair? Shine, managability?

elissam
March 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but after you've poured the ACV over your hair, are you then finished? Or do you rinse with water after the ACV? I've rinsed with ACV a couple of times (both with and without a cold water rinse afterward) with great results at first- hair was very smooth and shiny. After 2 days, I noticed what looked like dandruff on my scalp, but it went away with another shampoo/conditioning. Has this happened to anyone with an ACV rinse? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Anlbe
March 31st, 2008, 05:21 AM
Hi morningstar,

Your mom is right of course that vinegar is acid but that doesn't mean it's drying your daughter's hair. The point of the rinse is to try and get to the slightly acidic level of healthy hair and scalp (normally pH 5.5). In England tap water can be anywhere between pH 5.5 and 9.5, London where I grew up is alkaline so when I was little my mother used a vinegar rinse infused with chamomile to keep my hair and scalp health.

Some places add lime to their water to stop it corroding metal in the pipes but this does generally make the water alkaline. So depending on what your water it quite possible that you're stopping your daughter's hair from drying out.

Sounds likely if their hair's soft and shiny.

mommy2one05
March 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM
I am new on here and confused about alot.....what is acv and what is it used for?

intothemist1999
March 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM
I use it every wash. About 50ml or so, diluted in a few cups of water with 2-3 drops of rosemary EO.

I like the idea of adding EO!

Two questions: does it scent the hair at all (I'm hoping 'yes')?; does the oil itself help to do anything to the hair?

TIA!

Chromis
March 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Yes! It can darken a bit, helps with scalp itchies and adds some nice shine! I love rosemary!

blackfrostqueen
March 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I've done a few ACV rinses, but only after some real deep conditioning. I find if I do it too often or even 2-3 times a week it burns my scalp and skin (around my face and neck). I don't know why, it just does...also its a bit drying on my hair.

littlemiss
April 3rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
I am new on here and confused about alot.....what is acv and what is it used for?

hi and welcome to TLHC:waving:
mommy2one05
ACV stands for Apple Cider Vingar rinse, and lots of us here use it as a rinse in the shower after washing hair.
I personally CWC and then just before I hop out of shower rinse with the ACV then wash it out, I dont dilute it with water and find it gives my hair great shine.
Others add water, some add oils and some use cold tea, some leave it in other wash it out!!! its finding what works for you hope it helps:)

Bunnylover
April 3rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
hi and welcome to TLHC:waving:
mommy2one05
ACV stands for Apple Cider Vingar rinse, and lots of us here use it as a rinse in the shower after washing hair.
I personally CWC and then just before I hop out of shower rinse with the ACV then wash it out, I dont dilute it with water and find it gives my hair great shine.
Others add water, some add oils and some use cold tea, some leave it in other wash it out!!! its finding what works for you hope it helps:)

Thanks for that cause I was wondering this too!

Lavendula
April 3rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
Does anyone else have the problem it still smells once your hair is dry? I love the effect the rinse has on my hair, so I'm not giving up on this yet.

Which EO's could help neutralizing the smell?

Mishka_84
April 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I used to use shampoo bars, and did an ACV rinse everytime I shampooed. Sometimes I would put a few sprigs of rosemarie, or mint, in the bottle of vinegar and leave it for a week or two before I used it.

Now I just mist with half water half ACV. I find it still helps with shine and detangling, but doesn't dry my scalp. Sometimes I'll add some EO to the bottle for scent.

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
I use citric acid instead, since I couldn't stand the smell of vinegar. It does the same trick. I dilute it pretty far, though - 1 tsp in a gallon of water. I use it once a week after I clarify and deep-condition.

cupcakeblonde
April 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Must try this with white vinegar :)

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
White vinegar works fine. But I only use a splash in a pint of water and find that is plenty.

CaityBear
April 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I've only done it once, but I'm planning on starting once every week to help calm my scalp and hold off the itchies.

Delilah
April 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I like the idea of adding EO!

Two questions: does it scent the hair at all (I'm hoping 'yes')?; does the oil itself help to do anything to the hair?

TIA!

Rosemary has a lot of hair-friendly properties. It adds shine, darkens dark hair, conditions hair, and stimulates the scalp. With 2-3 drops rosemary EO it doesn't really scent my hair unfortunatley since it is in a large volume of liquid and is rinsed out. I can smell it in the shower though.

Patrycja
April 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I didn't know that ACV was recommened for the itcheies.That explains why I've been itching like a maniac these past few washes.I quite using the ACV rinse everytime I washed.Derrr me.

SaveTheTapirs
April 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I'm totally going to try an ACV rinse tomorrow. I CO'ed today and my hair is seriously gross. Tons of buildup and generally stiff and crusty. I'm pretty sure the conditioner is to blame-- Garnier Fructis. I've never had much luck with that stuff, but when I see it in the shower, I kind of want to use it up and be done with it! Maybe I'm just too cheap...

I've never used ACV to clarify before, so I'll report back with my results. It should be very easy to tell if the test is a success, as my hair is really icky right now. I guess I'll try half ACV, half water, and then adjust my recipe as needed. Seems like a good place to start.

Riot Crrl
April 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I would start with something much more diluted than that. I use about 1-2 TBSP of white vinegar in a pint of water.

SaveTheTapirs
April 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I would start with something much more diluted than that. I use about 1-2 TBSP of white vinegar in a pint of water.

Yeah, I realized how much that was when I saw it, and ended up diluting it more. I could feel an instant difference in the shower. It was much smoother and easier to run my fingers through. It's not quite dry yet, so I guess I will have to wait for the final result.

Right now my hair smells a teensy bit vinegary. Do you all usually do a rinse before or after shampooing/conditioning? I thought about conditioning (not with the Garnier!) afterwards in hopes that it would get rid of the vinegar smell, but it seemed like that would defeat the purpose and leave a buildup again.

Riot Crrl
April 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
It probably won't smell when it dries. I do it after conditioning and rinsing, and let it sit for a couple minutes then rinse it. Also I do need to add leave-in after that, so that probably helps.

Choccielocks
April 6th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Thanks all for reminding me about the ACV rinse! Used to do one every week and then kind of got out of the habit for some reason (probably got into trying some other experiment!) Reading this thread reminded me so I ACV rinsed yesterday - just a tablespoon or so in a large conditioner bottle topped up with water. I rinsed it out as in the past I've had trouble with not getting rid of the smell after (maybe used too much vinegar?) but had great results anyway - hair is so soft and shiny, must get back to doing it every week! Thanks all! :D

Flaxen
April 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Or do you rinse with water after the ACV?
I do rinse with water. I've had a couple of experiences where the solution must have been too strong (for me), and the back of my neck stung for a day or two, even with rinsing. So now, I make it very weak and rinse (partly also because I add honey, and it makes my hair stiff if I don't rinse).

Oops, forgot to add: After every shampoo, once a week.