PDA

View Full Version : Hairstick/fork updos for curlies

liseling
January 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
I really like my hair sticks and forks and find that I use them a lot while I'm at home because putting it in a bun is so convenient. But when I put my hair up in a stick or fork you can't see my curls because the hair is wrapped up and pulled tight together. When I go out I like to show off my curly texture so I rarely use these accessories.
What I'm wondering is if there are any styles I can use my sticks and forks for that allow the hair to be a bit looser so that the texture is visible. Is this even possible? Buns inherently involve gathering the hair together, and if I do them too loosely my hair is so heavy that it pulls itself down. So maybe a style that isn't a bun that uses sticks and forks? Do those exist?
Any ideas are appreciated!

bjt
January 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hi Liseling--
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I often do up-dos and just leave the tail of my hair hanging free. I'm not a curly, so I don't know if its what you're looking for. but if you do a cinnabun or an easy wrap bun or a nautilus bun, you can just not tuck the ends in and a lot of your curls would still show. I have some pics in my album on my user page if you wanna see what I mean (but you'll just have to imagine curly hair!)

Anje
January 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Try simply twisting your hair less when you put it up. One of the advantages to curly hair is that you can put it up with little twisting, since the curls seem to hold it in place, and you get these huge pretty updos that folks with straightish, compacting hair like mine can't match.

liseling
January 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
bjt, that's an idea. I could leave a bit out at the side. Your updo pics are so beautiful by the way. It's like your hair is made for updos.
Thanks for the tip Anje - I usually dont twist when I put my hair in a bun but the curls still get stretched out and compacted. It's true though that avoiding twisting makes for a massive updo hehe

MountainGypsy
January 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I also tend to leave the tail hanging out when I do a bun or often I just do a half up:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/MountainGypsy/IMG_5443.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/MountainGypsy/IMG_4936.jpg

lapushka
January 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Just twist your hair up in the back and secure it with a stick or a small fork. It's like a loose french twist. I see now I hadn't secured the fork right (showing too much) but you get the idea. I do have short hair though, still.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7672/005thod6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Curlsgirl
January 22nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
bjt, that's an idea. I could leave a bit out at the side. Your updo pics are so beautiful by the way. It's like your hair is made for updos.
Thanks for the tip Anje - I usually dont twist when I put my hair in a bun but the curls still get stretched out and compacted. It's true though that avoiding twisting makes for a massive updo hehe

Yes I have that problem too. I used to do a sort of a French twist with curls spilling over the top but I cannot get it to work anymore. When I do a bun or an updo and leave curls hanging out instead of tucking them in it just looks goofy like I didn't finish the updo :lol:

Darkwaves used to have some beautiful pictures of her updos in her photo journal not sure if she still does on the new board. I don't take time to look at journals much anymore.

Jemoiselle
January 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Maybe you might try doing a simple sock bun and instead of braiding the ends together and wrapping them around the bun you would use pins to secure the curly strands sectioned around the bun? I have bone straight hair so I guess I'm really not qualified to answer this one but the idea just seemed FUN! I would try this if I had super curly hair! I envy you guys! Sigh... =) Another idea...I saw a French twist video from another user that used the hair loop left over at the top as a hair slide secured with a hair stick once the ends were pulled into the twist. You could simply leave some curly "decorative" ends out of the side of the twist all the way up---I will see if I can find the video so you can make sense of what I just said! LOL I'll be right back...

Jemoiselle
January 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19060&highlight=hair+slide+french+twist

Here it is! Hypnotica posted this I believe...neat idea! My hair seems too long for it though, boo! Hope this helps! =)

liseling
January 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the video jemoiselle! That updo looks pretty cool. I think since it involves twisting the curls would still get stretched out, but you're right that if I could manage to leave some untwisted it might work.
twisting my hair up in the back and just leaving the top open doesnt work for me anymore either, curlsgirl, because my hair is too long for it - it hangs down over the part that I've put up in the back as if it were a high ponytail or something. Hmmm...