PDA

View Full Version : Ficcare sizing?

CurlyNinja
March 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
What size Ficcare do you use? I'm just trying to get an idea of what size would be most appropriate if/when I decide to man up and purchase one. I could find virtually nothing on the Ficcare website about sizing for different lengths, textures, and densities of hair.

Also, do the different styles provide different levels or hold or accommodate different amounts of hair? For example, is the Maximas actually a larger clip in what it can hold than the Ficcarissimo?

Thanks!

akurah
March 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I purchased a medium Maximas when my hair was somewhere longer than shoulder but not exactly APL.

Needless to say, I can't use it at ALL except for a french twist, and there I have to be very mindful of how I use it, or it falls out.

Based on your hair length stats and type stats, you'd probably want a large for the Maximas.

Cichelle
March 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I have a large Ficcare in my hair right now. A medium would never work. I have a maximus. I've never tried the others, but I want to. The one I have holds like no other hair accessory...accept maybe my fakkare. ;)

Cinnamon Hair
March 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
The Ficcarissimo holds less because it has 2 sets of teeth (whereas the maximas has just 1) so it can't take as large a bite.

At your length I think either a medium or large would be ok. The only problem with the large is it may feel too heavy and pull at the clamp end. The medium isn't as curvy so the clamp end weighs less, but it is significantly smaller than a large in terms of holding power.

CurlyNinja
March 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks ladies, that was really helpful!

Shell
March 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM
The maximas also opens wider than the ficcarissimo. I find it easier to use, though I have and love both.

eadwine
March 28th, 2008, 01:04 AM
A large maximas is too large for me, hair slips right out. I see you are just two inches longer than I am.. unless you have more circumference, take the medium maximas. As for ficcarissimo, the large fit me, it holds better likely because of two rows of teeth.

Katze
March 28th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I was really disappointed; I got large ones, thinking I could "grow into" them (and save money) and they would not stay in my hair except for a French twist - much too big. Then I went ahead and bought Mediums. The Medium Lotus Maximus is MUCH smaller than the others and than the beak clip - be warned! I have trouble getting my hair into it.

Despite the cost and the annoyance of having to order online, Ficcares ARE great, and they DO hold, and they look elegant, the new (jewel toned) colors are really pretty - especially the emerald green.

sapphire-o
March 28th, 2008, 02:41 AM
My hair is close to yours in thickness and I could never use a medium Ficcare, even when my hair was BSL. I think a large is a safe choice for you. You can always swap it if it doesn't fit. Just curious, what's your ponytail size and how big is your bun?

Rae~
March 28th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I don't think that a medium would suit; I think a large is much more likely for your hair, being both curly and quite thick.

I use larges mostly, and although I have a medium, it only gets used in one specific updo where I use a large as well.

Billie
March 28th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I have four maxima's in large. And I really really wish they'll start making extra larges some day. :cheese:

coppercurls
March 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have four maxima's in large. And I really really wish they'll start making extra larges some day. :cheese:

I have two large maximas, & if they ever make an XL, I may go broke.;)

prosperina
March 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
The sizing info is under the customer service tab. I'd buy a large one. I've never used a medium, but large is 5.5 and medium is 5 inches. That's not much difference.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I think it depends on what style you are going to use it for. Do you know? My hair is thick and fairly curly as you can see and I still like the medium Maximas better. I can use it for a pony or a bun (using it like it shows on the Ficcare website). Like I said though I really don't use them that much as they tend to be a little heavy for my scalp. I have several large maximas too and hardly ever use them, maybe I will later on. I like the looks of them so I will hang on to them. As for a beak I swapped it as soon as I got it, couldn't get it to do anything. I want to get another Ficarrissimo in a large though. I had a medium and it was not big enough. I like the looks of those.

Rae~
March 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
CurlyNinja - you have probably already seen similar comparison photos, but in case it helps, here are a couple of photos showing medium vs large Maximas (top view (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=300&pictureid=4967) and side view (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=300&pictureid=4968)).

Also, don't discount the Ficcarre Superclip - I know a few people (me included) who have been really happy with them; mine seems to work even when Maximas don't.

eadwine
March 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
The sizing info is under the customer service tab. I'd buy a large one. I've never used a medium, but large is 5.5 and medium is 5 inches. That's not much difference.

It makes all the difference in the world! The length isn't really a factor at all, but the amount of hair it can munch is: big difference. My hair will just slip out of the large ficcare but the medium has that snug hold the ficcare is famous for :D

Liluri
March 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I don't think that a medium would suit; I think a large is much more likely for your hair, being both curly and quite thick.

I use larges mostly, and although I have a medium, it only gets used in one specific updo where I use a large as well.

I'd really love to see a picture of this please Rae~ :) I am thinking about getting rid of my medium Ficcares as I don't use them at all atm.

prosperina
March 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
It makes all the difference in the world! The length isn't really a factor at all, but the amount of hair it can munch is: big difference. My hair will just slip out of the large ficcare but the medium has that snug hold the ficcare is famous for :D

Well then, I'm glad I bought a large, since that works really well for me. :) I always wondered if a medium wouldn't be better, but from what you said no. You would wish though for more of a difference in their sizes so that people with really long hair can wear them. I only hope I'll still be able to use the large at hip length. I'll cry if I can't. :(

Rae~
March 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Liluri, it's actually my gym 'do - really secure, comfortable, can lie down on it etc etc.

I do a log-rolly sort of thing, but I've seen others in the past do a similar thing with a long plait/braid - folding it up and using 2 Maximas to secure.

Here's a pic (medium on top, large on bottom):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2109191561_a1e1700ac5_m.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2109191561_a1e1700ac5.jpg)

(Sorry for the slight hijack, CurlyNinja. :o )

Requiax
March 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
A large maximas will fit my ponytail, but doesn't have enough oomph to hold an updo. The weight of my hair makes it topple.

Kittee
March 28th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I love and hate my Ficcare. I can't figure out if I have the right size or not. It constantly slips.

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I love and hate my Ficcare. I can't figure out if I have the right size or not. It constantly slips.
In that case I'd say it is too large. Maybe if you are around other LHC members someone might have a medium for you to try.

Well then, I'm glad I bought a large, since that works really well for me. :) I always wondered if a medium wouldn't be better, but from what you said no. You would wish though for more of a difference in their sizes so that people with really long hair can wear them. I only hope I'll still be able to use the large at hip length. I'll cry if I can't. :(
Everyone around me (hair forum wise) told me I needed a large. I have tried it on several occasions, every time being irritated that I couldn't use a ficcare because it didn't hold. Until I got a hold of a large ficcarissimo to try that DID stay put and rock solid. I decided to take the gamble and bought me a medium maximas and a large ficcarissimo.

The result is known.. I sold the ficcarissimo because the maximas for one held better, and I liked the shape better.

Chamomile betty
March 29th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I have both the large Maximus and the Innovation. Both hold my hair well very well. The Maximus will hold more of a log/twist of hair while I use the Innovation to secure a bun.

HTH

Rae~, your Ficcares are lovely.

CurlyNinja
March 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM
My hair is close to yours in thickness and I could never use a medium Ficcare, even when my hair was BSL. I think a large is a safe choice for you. You can always swap it if it doesn't fit. Just curious, what's your ponytail size and how big is your bun?

My ponytail varies, but is around 3.8-4.5 inches, but my bun is smaller than maybe it should be because my hair is layered--cinnabun is one extra-thick wrap around and one thin.

I think it depends on what style you are going to use it for. Do you know? My hair is thick and fairly curly as you can see and I still like the medium Maximas better. I can use it for a pony or a bun (using it like it shows on the Ficcare website). Like I said though I really don't use them that much as they tend to be a little heavy for my scalp. I have several large maximas too and hardly ever use them, maybe I will later on. I like the looks of them so I will hang on to them. As for a beak I swapped it as soon as I got it, couldn't get it to do anything. I want to get another Ficarrissimo in a large though. I had a medium and it was not big enough. I like the looks of those.

I like the Maximas for the look too the best, it seems the most unique. I'm looking to do more french-twist type styles with it.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it's been really very very very helpful!

:blossom::blossom: Flowers for all!!

Liluri
March 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Thank you Rae~ that looks solid and very cool. I don't have two of the same type of Ficcares in different sizes at the moment, but that could be changed :)

Liluri, it's actually my gym 'do - really secure, comfortable, can lie down on it etc etc.

I do a log-rolly sort of thing, but I've seen others in the past do a similar thing with a long plait/braid - folding it up and using 2 Maximas to secure.

Here's a pic (medium on top, large on bottom):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2109191561_a1e1700ac5_m.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2109191561_a1e1700ac5.jpg)

(Sorry for the slight hijack, CurlyNinja. :o )

Darian Moone
March 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say how glad I am to have seen this thread since I'm getting ready to purchase my first Ficcare and have been confused as to what size to get. I think definitely a medium for me. Rae your photo really helped. :)

AJoifulNoise
May 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say how glad I am to have seen this thread since I'm getting ready to purchase my first Ficcare and have been confused as to what size to get. I think definitely a medium for me. Rae your photo really helped. :)

I am also thankful that this thread is here as I am considering my first ficcare. Still not sure if I'm going to take the plunge.. But, if I do, I suppose I should get a large?

eadwine
May 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM
You are thicker haired than I am AND longer. As I am on the boundary of going from medium to large, you DEFINITELY without a doubt need a large :)

A medium maybe for half ups.

UrbanEast
May 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I would get the large since you've got super-thick and curly hair. Once it gets longer, you might outgrow even that!

mousehouse
April 17th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Sorry to revive something so old, but does anybody on here use a small? ... I've had a look around and have yet to find anybody wearing a small ficcare, but I'm worried a medium might be too large for me.. I have a 2" circumference ponytail and BSL hair. My buns are only a little larger than a golf ball... is it not likely a medium might be too large?

julee
April 18th, 2017, 12:00 AM
A small sounds like it could be a good fit, I can still use a small in the right updo.

lunasea
April 18th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Sorry to revive something so old, but does anybody on here use a small? ... I've had a look around and have yet to find anybody wearing a small ficcare, but I'm worried a medium might be too large for me.. I have a 2" circumference ponytail and BSL hair. My buns are only a little larger than a golf ball... is it not likely a medium might be too large?

I can wear both smalls and mediums. Mostly though, I use a small and, given your description, sounds like smalls are your size too. Think of yourself as lucky; smalls can be easier to get off of eBay and the Swap Board because most folks here look for bigger clips.