PDA

View Full Version : Found first grays

atlantaz3
January 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Okay at my age I shouldn't complain - but that means I'm going to! The ones I have found are short broken halo strands that of course stand straight up and are a different texture from the rest. I'm sure this usual, but new to me. I have a birthday coming up soon and shouldn't be freaking out - and I don't think I really am, but I have spent a bit more time in the mirror lately. They only really show up when I let wash day go a few extra days. I'm definitely not going to color and henna just won't go with my skin tone. If I go back to highlights can a good hair dresser blend in the grays? (Not going this route too soon either unless I see a whole bunch more!)
PS what will the smt honey treatments do?

MemSahib
January 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Let me be one of the first to congratulate you! Your hair is going to be more gorgeous than ever. Mmmm... silver and gold — wonderful!

Violeta
January 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Awww, that’s okay!
I also have at least one but it actually fell of lol, my only white hair hates me! LOL

Forever_Sophie
January 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
No advice, but here's hoping my genes are similar! ;) Your hair is so gorgeous. Mine is dark and the day I find a gray...there'll be a scream heard 'round the world LOL

teela1978
January 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
My greys always start out weird and of a strange texture (extremely wavy antennae), but after they get going they smooth out to my normal texture. Hopefully yours will behave similarly :)

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Awww, that’s okay!
I also have at least one but it actually fell of lol, my only white hair hates me! LOL

That's really funny! Your one white hair hates you. :D

Elphie
January 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I've suddenly found a few more than I am used to having. My half a dozen are now closer to about 2 dozen. Same texture as the rest. I'm not minding them one bit. They're nice and shiny.

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well, I've noticed when I let my hair grow with no color that I have quite a few whites! Not too happy about it either! So, as my hair grows in, I'll be coloring it. I am not ready to have white hair!

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've found a few near my crown...but I'm not freaking out. My grandmother faded seamlessly from brown to grey streaks to silver and shiny. And I've already figured out that I have her hair genes. LOL. :D I'm embracing my greys...I've earned them. I have five little kids, stair-stepped!!:eyebrows:

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm sure a good hairdresser could blend them in for you Atlantaz3. I got my first white (no greys first, just stark white!) hairs when I was 19. They literally appeared overnight. Yup, it's true what they say about shock turning you white overnight! :laugh: I had a few more pop up over the next few years, and then another overnight batch last December. When they're very short the texture always seems much coarser and wavy/frazzly, but as they grow out they are much smoother.

There's no way I'm planning on colouring mine, but I think that's mainly because they started appearing so early. If I'd started dying my hair I'd have had to keep it up for the next forty years! :eek: :D

I've got quite a streak coming on now. My last boyfriend kinda liked it, he told me I looked like Rogue (a character from a film apparently, but I'm not very up to date in that regard!).

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
I've got quite a streak coming on now. My last boyfriend kinda liked it, he told me I looked like Rogue (a character from a film apparently, but I'm not very up to date in that regard!).

I think she's a character from X Men if I'm not mistaken...

wiggleit76
January 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Just like you pariate mine are stark white, and look even more white against my dark hair. They grow in a one inch patch on the left side of my head just below my crown, only about a half dozen.

...but am I the only one who pulls them out?! They stick up and wave at me, mocking me, so they just have to go!

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
*Scuttles off to Google*

Ah, now I see! After viewing the comic book pics and movie stills I can see that the streak was white in the comic but it looks blonde in the movie.

The comic pics are pretty cool!

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Just like you pariate mine are stark white, and look even more white against my dark hair. They grow in a one inch patch on the left side of my head just below my crown, only about a half dozen.

...but am I the only one who pulls them out?! They stick up and wave at me, mocking me, so they just have to go!

I used to pull out one here and there. My little sister had a pulling frenzy one afternoon and took out all of them! I wouldn't take out a single one now, I've grown to love the. :p The new patch that appeared at the beginning of December have really added to the streak effect and I do like it, despite all of the "Did you know you're going grey?" I get from people. :)

jojo
January 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I love silver strands bet they look great with your golden mane.

Mine are popping up in my crown area and my right hand side fringe, nearly a streak if i look closely!

sandigirl
January 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
You guys all have more courage than I do. I started getting a few in the past couple of years along my part. They were coarse, wavy, and stuck straight out the top of my head. I HATED them! I tweezed them out for a year and then basically gave up. I'm also getting gray at the temples. When I get fresh highlights my hair looks good for about 3 weeks then you start seeing a few little stragglers again.

spidermom
January 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM
I figure mine are just another shade of gold - white gold.

joyfulmom4
January 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the club. :) Personally, I think natural hair shades are beautiful. Much nicer than some of the dye jobs I've seen. I am planning to let mine go naturally. I do understand it takes some getting used to. I have days I love mine and days I don't. But mostly I don't notice. Before you jump into coloring, consider whether you want to commit to long-term coloring. The growing-out process isn't easy once you start coloring. And most colors are not kind to the hair.

atlantaz3
January 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Spidermom - I like that white gold!
joyfulmom - it will be awhile yet before I hit the bottle. I would have to be showing inches of roots to be blended.
I think the I have the gray gene is from my father's side - he didn't really get grays until after 50 (closer to 60). My mom however went gray around the time I was born (35) and was almost pure white by 50. (I wonder if I had anything to do with that?)!

Xandergrammy
January 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Your hair is going to be stunning with your natural highlights. :flowers:

Zindell
January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM

Heh! I am eagerly awaiting my first white to show up. And when it finally does, I'll take care of it like a baby.

If anyone would try to pull it out I'll Kung Fu them down!

CeliahAnn
January 23rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
My sister's in her 30's but ever since her late 20's she's had this thick grey streak right down the center of her hair. Everyone always thought she dyed it that way but it's completely natural.

rags
January 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
My sister's in her 30's but ever since her late 20's she's had this thick grey streak right down the center of her hair. Everyone always thought she dyed it that way but it's completely natural.

That was just like me! I got an inch wide silver streak in my mid to late twenties, dyed it all through my thirties, and have now grown it out. Everyone used to think I had dyed mine too, as I looked younger than my age back then.

Pixna
January 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
If I pulled out my grays, whites, and silvers...I'd be nearly bald! I think those pale colors add beautiful highlights. Folks would kill (or at least pay a lot of money!) for that kind of highlighted hair. View it as a gift that only comes with being ripe and juicy. :hifive:

Katze
January 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
I figure mine are just another shade of gold - white gold.

Exactly! I love how my silver streak looks - it brightens my ashy winter hair and the extra thick texture is a bonus too, since my crown hair is extra fine. I have tried to take a pic but they blend so well and shine so much that it just looks like blonde.

As a blonde (sort of) I think that silver hair looks great on me at least - it works well with my ruddy complexion and greyish greenish eyes. i tried to get silver or even grey in my 20s artificially, didn't work. After 9/11 (I lived in Manhattan) the first silvers started coming in.

Just think of them as natural highlights - maybe they will help you be able to stop chemically treating your hair? :)

Xandergrammy
January 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
If I pulled out my grays, whites, and silvers...I'd be nearly bald! I think those pale colors add beautiful highlights. Folks would kill (or at least pay a lot of money!) for that kind of highlighted hair. View it as a gift that only comes with being ripe and juicy. :hifive:

Same here, Pixna!!

I love this "View it as a gift that only comes with being ripe and juicy." :gabigrin:

suicides_eve
January 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
consider your self lucky, dbf is 25 and is salt and pepper already!

my mom get her hair highleighted to blend the grays in , i don't see why you couldn't if you choose so

Violeta
January 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
That's really funny! Your one white hair hates you. :D

Okay so here’s the scoop on that one hair: saw it the first time a few years back, I was actually thinking I’m crazy because it looked a bit blondish but my hair is pretty dark so I know it must be a white hair. Also I was about 25 …
About 2 months ago I saw it again, this time very clear, it was WHITE HAIR! Weird texture and about 2 inch long, and when I touched it to feel the texture it just came off! Lol
My first thought was :”OMG, my only white hair just dumped me, he hates me!” :alcoholic: lol

it never got past a few inches then it falls off :o

burns_erin
January 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
I think your hair will be able to pull off grey/white with minimal fuss. And mine stick out funny till they get a few inches long so you are not alone there. As for highlights hiding them, well it should be fairly easy since your hair is light. Even with my darker hair, and my horrible ineptitude with chemical coloring, I was able to hide my greys with highlights fairly proficiently (I painted them on instead of using a cap).