PDA

View Full Version : Jeanne Rose's Herbal Body Book

LionessMom
January 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM
anybody have this book and use it to make hair rinses and deodorants? i have just started reading it and am loving it. I just bought some comfrey and echinacea and i am going to make some rinses. has anyone made deodorant? I would love to make my own but dont know where to start. the book has ideas but i am looking for more of a roll on i guess.

LionessMom
January 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
:bump:

anyone?

SeaPhoenix
January 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
I don't have this one.. I have the one by stephanie tourles (http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Body-Book-Approach-Healthier/dp/0882668803)... When I first got this series of books I was excited, but became a bit skeptical once I read mentions of henna and completely wrong information on henna. (ie, its temporary, it comes in many colors by using a combo of leaves, stem, and root, etc etc etc). Or rather, once I reread the book focusing on just the hair. The first time I read it I took it for true and launched into using henna. lol. I'd reread it this year, scratching my head in puzzlement the entire time I was eyeballing the henna section.

I will have to see about finding a copy of Jeanne Rose's book - if it's more accurate I'll be quite happy!

I think my only advice on natural body care books is to not take it as true just because something is printed on the page. Research is a wonderful friend! It does make me wonder how some of these folks get their books published though, without bothering to verify the "facts" they print.

Redheaded Raven
January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
I don't have this one.. I have the one by nerys purchon http://www.amazon.com/Health-Beauty-Natural-Way-Beautify/dp/1567995292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232775830&sr=1-1
and I really like it

ktani
January 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I would think long and hard before using comfrey or even have it in the house around the children.

Here is some information on it.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=222191&postcount=6

LionessMom
January 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
wow, that is really something they should put on the bottle at the health food store or post up or something. i wonder if they even know about it. i will have to call and see if they even know. :(

that's too bad. i was really hoping it would help. my regular rinse that i was making without it was helping but i was just hoping that comfrey root would help quicker. oh well. back to the drawing board. :)

AutumnSky
February 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I don't have that one, but I have her other book , "Herbs and Things" from the '70's, and I love, love, love it. Her voice is very engaging, and I've been wanting the book you've mentioned.

I've tried making deoderant powders, based on info in the book I have, and they've been nice smelling, but only mildly effective....either that or I'm just a smelly beast. ;-p

LionessMom
February 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM
i gave up and bought some all natural JASON deodorant. ill give that a try. it has got to be better than just using baking soda. that stuff makes me itch.