PDA

View Full Version : What age did you start growing?

pdy2kn6
January 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
what age did you guys decide to start growing to extreme lengths? and how long was it when you first decided to start growing? i started growing as soon as i left highschool because unfortunately we were unable to have our hair longer than our collar!!!argh. now i'm 19 and started growing at 17, so its only been 2 years so far for me, what about you guys?

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM
My hair used to grow super-fast when I was younger. I had it cut just below shoulder-length at age 10, and by 17 it was nearly knee-length, with no trimming. But I didn't take care of it, and had to chop a lot of it off. I went back to BSL-ish at 18. Then, when I started having kids, at age 20, (and I had 5, all back-to-back) my hair started growing like crazy again, thanks to hormones and prenatal vitamins. So it reached classic in 3 years. But I wanted to have it all even for once, and I was still growing out the bangs/fringe I had when I was younger...so I maintained at tailbone for a few years, and have just started growing it out for real last summer (2008). Now it's nearly classic again, and all one length, and so much healthier than it's ever been.

So, to answer the question...I've had long hair in varying lengths, pretty much all my life. And I do not intend to ever change that. :)

Charli800
January 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM
I started when I was 10 - I can't remember how long it was then - but my mother convinced me to cut it when I was 14. There were advantages to a pixie cut, but I haven't cut my hair since. I've been growing it for three years, now, but I'm very nearly at my original length, since at 10 my idea of hair care was non-existant!

Nera
January 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
I started growing it when I was sixteen. I have always had super short hair, because it was so difficult to brush. I was always having small mental break downs, because my hair was just an impossible mess. But then I stoped brushing it, and obsessing about long hair.

I don't care about the difficulty, I want long hair!

MsBubbles
January 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I first got the notion to grow my hair longer than it's ever been (longer than BSL) 1 year ago at age 40. My hair was between shoulder & APL back then.

I've been maintaining at BSL for the past 6 months to get my layers out. But I will continue my extreme length quest hopefully by the summer.

Waist is 'extreme' for me, and every now and then I dare to dream of TB, HIP or gasp - even classic!

rosieposie
January 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
I had long hair until I got a disasterous cut at christmas 2007. Im now on my way to growing back to hip length. Last April I found LHC and the wealth of information it has provided me with has been amazing, from hair care to hair toys. Before I usually blow fryed my hair and even straightened it on occassion and I never oiled. Now Ive gone cone free, heat free and use a little EVOO to help my ends and they love it! I no longer cram my locks into a barrette or snag them on seams since I have discovered quality hair accessory craftspersons; and I can really see a vast difference in my hairs condition. Perhaps that short cut was the best thing I could have done for my hair , to rid it of damage and it brought me to LHC. Who knows.....perhaps I will even grow past my goal length this time.

Elphie
January 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM
The first time? Birth till roughly about age 25 or 26. My hair varied between waist and tailbone lengths for those years. I cut it then to about BSL for a few years and then to a pixie after my second child was born. It's been a little longer than shoulder length for ten years or so till I decided to grow it again a few months ago.

cocolover
January 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Last year at 31, never to late, right ;) I didn't learn what my hair wanted until the last few years (mainly no chemicals). My care changes transformed my unruly, frizzy hair into hair I actually liked and it was at that point I decided I wanted more of it!

Xandergrammy
January 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I was 40 years old when I had my last "real" haircut.

P.S. It was a really short pixie cut

Copasetic
January 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
I think I really decided to grow my hair when I was 21 or 22, and I am 23 now. My mom always kept my hair really short when I was young, and then when I was in high school I generally kept it at my shoulder.

spidermom
January 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
I had my last short haircut 10-11 years ago, I believe. I was at barely shoulder length with layers in 2001. Then I found a hair stylist with classic length hair, and she had me coming in for a trim every 6-8 weeks. I added an average of 4.75 inches in length per year on that schedule. So this has been a long-term project, and I'm still not at goal (ends touching my thighs). But almost!

mira-chan
January 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
At 6 years old, my hair was just a bit longer than pixie then. I wanted long braids like the other girls in class had. :D

LawyerGirl
January 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Four months ago, when I was 25. It has been frustrating!

paper
January 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
I was 45 when I had my last short hair cut.

RocketDog
January 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Well, I shaved my head in June of 2006 (age 21), and have been growing it out since, with an 18-month detour into chemical cherry-red and bleach. I've been growing it out to my natural color for almost a year, so I guess my journey truly started at age 23.

Alia
January 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
I started at fourteen, growing out a half-shaved, spiked, skater cut. It looked pretty awful growing out, temporary mullet-effect and all, and hit shoulder length at sixteen. Thank god.:D

Speckla
January 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM
32 years old
________
Silver surfer vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

Violeta
January 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
I never really said “I am gonna get my hair very long” but I am almost 30 now and I love it very long.

Feline
January 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM
I had long hair off and on untill I was 16- this was because my Mom had a "thing" for Shirley Temple, and as my hair already has a slight natural wave to it, every so often she would haul me off to a salon to "improve" upon Nature. At 16, I wound up with a "cute" pixie at her behest, and again a few years later so that I have really short hair in almost all my graduation pictures. The exception is my Master's degree, and by then I was married and out of her sphere of influence. My hair was APL at our marriage in 1976, and I have not had a "real" cut since then. I did take off about 6 inches in 1985, but that was only to even it up as I was in my sister's wedding and it had to look good from the back. I have since learned to "even up" a bit more often to avoid having to take off that much, as it was mildly traumatic.

AJoifulNoise
January 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I had long hair (probably just above length) when I was younger. I liked it that way. When I was in Middle School and High School I was convinced again and again to cut it to shoulder length (and above! *cringes*).

I decided to really grow it out in 2005 so I was 19.

kam984420
January 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
I've just decided at age 29 that i am growing my har out. Its been growing out since Oct of 08 and am already making some awesome progress.

purplebubba
January 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
I never liked the attention that getting haircuts brought. So 16 and 17 both years my hair got almost neck length and then was cut at the end of the school year.

ETA: I'm not sure if I've ever posted this before but at 16 it was after the last day of school and I was sick of the comments and chopped my own hair and it was then "fixed" by my mom. I didn't mind chopping it myself because I was not going to school for months.
At 17 it was the day before the last day of school and mom said she was going to just trim it. Of course that was not a trim.

When I turned 18 My hair was getting longish again and I was tired of everyone complaining as usual so since I had to walk to the post office to sign up for selective service or whatever it's called I decided to go and get a cut. However this time I was getting something I requested and not some buzz cut. So I went from 8 inch strands to something about 3-3.5 inches. I specifically asked for something that was feathery or layered so that it wasn't blunt and didn't look like a haircut. Even though it was going to be an obvious change.

ETA part 2: This was kinda full circle from cutting it myself. When I did it myself I was not trying to go short like Mom would have done.

From there I decided that my parents and everyone else had gotten their way for the last time and no matter what comments were made I was going to never have short hair again. That was April 1994. And so far I'm still sticking to it almost 15 years later.

MemSahib
January 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
I started growing from a shortish bob at... about 51, which was 7 years ago.

DanielleRenae
January 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I decided to start growing my hair about 3 years ago when I was 14, after a horrific and unfortunate haircut. It was cut to my chin. Now, nearly 3 years later, it's halfway between waist and hip length.

julya
January 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
I started growing my hair long about a year after a military haircut at age 23.

EdG
January 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I started growing my hair at age 25. :)
Ed

viking_quest
January 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
At 15 I got my last haircut (about a year ago) and during that summer is when I really decided to grow out my hair really long.

Dianyla
January 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
I had a pixie cut around age 3. It's been growing ever since. :)

sweetbluesky
January 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
I had long hair as a child, my mom wouldn't let us cut it. It was oiled, braided, and bunned daily, washed once a week. My hair was a little below tailbone length. I rarely kept it down. It was like this until I was 13. In high school, I began to cut, cut, cut, eventually reaching above shoulders. I began to grow again recently. I am now 23, I hope to be waist for my 24 birthday :D

RavennaNight
January 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
what age did you guys decide to start growing to extreme lengths? and how long was it when you first decided to start growing? i started growing as soon as i left highschool because unfortunately we were unable to have our hair longer than our collar!!!argh. now i'm 19 and started growing at 17, so its only been 2 years so far for me, what about you guys?

I dont know if I would call it extreme lengths, nor am I sure I'd ever make it to extreme lengths. (extreme being classic and beyond to me) But I started growing with the intent to never cut short again in late 2005, so that would put me at 27 ish? My goal is tailbone, and I am happily nearing waist.

sahiba
January 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Since I was born :D My religion forbids us to cut .:)

Friesiangirl
January 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
When I was 15 :)

Hayley

Medievalhair
January 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
When I was 14, it was time to start over after not taking very good care of my hair.

Calanthe
January 22nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
The first time, at around 10. Then haircut and various hairstyles. I decided to let it grow again in 2005.

tiny_teesha
January 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
the first time?
since birth to like 7 years old? so for 7 years!
Then 3 years growing...chop, another 7....chop.
And here i am now... i think on my 3rd year of growing again, and i've had to chop from damage. :)
It sure is a fun and frustrating ride! :)

RancheroTheBee
January 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
:eek: Since forever!

Seriously. I cannot remember a time in my life when I wasn't like, "I want shoulder-length/APL hair."

But I chose the rather far-away goal of waist, because more than anything, I like a challenge.

So... 20? Haha.

Arriens
January 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
I had a bald head when I was 20.
Growing it out since then, painted it red at 21 (friends forced me to go to a hairsaloon or otherwise they woudn't take me with then on holiday, so instead of cutting it, I painted it:eyebrows:) and I have it between shouder and BSL now (and the red is cut out entirely now:))

desertrose
January 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
just a half year ago, so when i was 21 years old

Sihda
January 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
:ponder: when I was about 20.

Johanna64
January 22nd, 2009, 08:04 AM
I was 36 years old. :)

Anje
January 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Not long before I joined here, so it's been just over 2 years... I was 24.

My hair was normally longish by outside-world standards, going from shoulder to BSL or so, then getting chopped back, but after I got married, I got a lot more lax about the chopping it off part. Found some long hair sites, and said "why am I cutting it off, anyway?"

liseling
January 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I had long hair when I was a child, until I was about 10 when my mom took my sister and I to a barber's to get really short cuts (like an inch and a half long). After that it grew out again and it's never been less than shoulder length since then. On average I think it's usually been about mid back length.

Cai
January 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
When I was 10 or 11 I started growing for the first time, but kind of stopped at BSL to midback as they always started to look unhealthy at this point.

Seriously growing (aiming towards classic or at least tailbone) I started after my last haircut (BSL again) aged 27 then (now 29).

peachrose
January 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I pretty much started growing seriously at age 20, two years ago. My hair was a inch or two past chin at that time and I am at BSL now. Hoping to to waist next spring and tb in 2011!

dalriada-lady
January 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
I started growing at 14, but have been unable to prevent damage to my hair as it grows below my hips so have not grown longer than TBL, but started again and this time i will reach classic length no matter what. and with great, healthy and soft hair that is undamaged.

Celticfreefall
January 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
I started growing at age nineteen, but, I stopped severely messing with my hair so that it could grow unmolested at around 21.

SafoByMengin
January 23rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
I started when I was 21yo.

Johanna
January 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
I grew mine at about 18 from lack of funds for hairdressing appointments and benign neglect. Then after discovering this site in 2006 (I came in here and there to pick up tidbits before joining) Then its now at elbow lenght and I'm excitedly growing towards TBL! yay!

suicides_eve
January 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
i never started growing my hair out until last year, only b/c the bleach accident, my hair is always different lengths and i liked bsl the best

rhubarbarin
January 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I decided I didn't want short hair anymore when I was 19, so 4 years ago. I had hair that was maybe ear length then, grown out from a buzz.. I'd had very short hair for about 2 years.

I founc LHC about a year ago, it was then I decided I wanted REALLY long hair, and I wanted it to be healthy and all my natural color. Still a long way to go there.

twilight
January 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
i am a serial grower. since i was about 11 i have grown my hair to waist, chopped it back to chin/ear bobs, grown it to waist, repeat every 2-3 years. it seems that every time it got that long, it was damaged or dyed and needed a good chopping. either that or i'm bipolar :)

the last time it was "really long" (waist) was in 2003 when i worked at sally's... BAD place to work when you are trying to have long, natural hair. after about 35 dye jobs from purple to bleach to dark brown and back again, i convinced myself to chop it shorter than it had ever been before.

i'm growing from there as we speak... finally hit waist with reasonably healthy hair. this time i won't be chopping, though!

lora410
January 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Officially age 26. it will be two years this April and my hair was shoulder length at that time.

harley mama
January 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I never really decided to grow my hair. I just decided to stop paying for bad haircuts.
I was in my mid 40's then.

I decided to embrace my curls and found LHC while searching for curly hair care tips.
I started with waist length as my goal. I reached that and just kept growing. I reached
tailbone and then, cut back to just below waist after chemo. I am heading back to TB
and am thinking about classic as my final goal. But, that could change once I get there!

strwbrry dakri
January 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
About 3 months ago - so 49. I've always had shoulder length or above hair, and I figure if I am ever going to do this - now is the time!

Natural
January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
When I was little, I had shoulder length hair, but no matter the lengths my mom went to make sure I looked like a boy, everyone thought I was a girl, so she finally cut my hair. Around 14 I had the dreaded long-in-the-back cut, and it was BSL, I guess, though of course I had no strap to confirm that with :D I cut it at 16 or maybe a little after 17, but not long after.

In 05-06, I grew it out from short and kind of spiky to almost chin length. I suppose it fell just short of my jaw and I could tie it up samurai style. Then I foolishly cut it short again, and now, at 29, I have decided to let it grow, and plan on caring for it naturally. I've been using shampoo bars since last August (July really, when I started with pine tar soap). I may eventually try to work toward WO/NW some day. Wish me luck!

squiggyflop
January 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
well my hair isnt especially long now.. just 32 inches.. but i started actively growing when i was 18.. i hope to reach classic in 2 years.. my hair was shoulder length when i started.. it just broke off at the shoulder before that because of bleach damage..

sneakybea
January 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Believe it or not, I was ten or eleven, and have been growing my hair steadily since then! I had a short pageboy, but I wanted to grow it longer for a role in a play I was in, and ended up deciding to keep growing. In high school and college, I experimented with different "feathered" styles (it was the eighties), but never went any shorter with the overall length. You would think, in all that time, I might get sick of having long hair, but I never did!
As a side note, I was over thirty before my hair reached my waist; too much trimming, perhaps, but I also seem to be genetically predisposed to slow growing hair.

dearladydisdain
January 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
I was 12 1/2, I guess. I had a really bad haircut, although that's the shortest my hair has ever been. It's never been shorter than chin length.

maunaloa
January 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I had my longest hair probably in high school. It was to my tailbone and permed! I cut it to shoulder length in my 20's and then had it to BSL in late 20's. It is APL now and I am trying to see how long it will grow.

backtolonghair
January 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
My hair was about tailbone in hs and then I gradually thoroughout the years had varying lengths.. from bsl to pixie to shoulder, etc. I've been growing since my last haircut, in Sept. So, that's about 5 months, with no trims, etc. It's been really growing well too. About an inch a month!I like this no trims thing! :D

Emichiee
January 23rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
At 20 I decided to grow longer than shoulder...my first goal was BSL, second almost Hip.

At 23 I decided to grow longer and found LHC, my next goal was TB, then Midbutt, then Classic..

Now I don't know anymore :lol:

NeilTheFuzz
January 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I was 14 when I started growing my hair out.

catkin
January 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I was 10 the last time i got my hair cut from armpit length to jaw. and since then i have never cut more them a couple inches off of it at a time. as a little kid my mom kept my hair between jaw and just below shoulder length.

Annushka
January 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
In kindergarten I had maybe hip length hair, but since it tangles so easily my mom had it chopped off. So then it was kept short (pageboy or above shoulders) until maybe middle school, when I had a bad permed mullet at shoulder length.

During early high school I grew it out all one length to my shoulders, and I considered that "long"! Then I went punk and cut it shorter and shorter, until I ended up with a buzz cut (but with bangs to my chin!) and went off to college with my trusty hair clippers.

In the middle of college I let it grow from buzz cut to about shoulder, cut it back to ear, then I've been growing it longer and longer ever since! It used to get to BSL then I'd cut it back.

Last summer a friend was trying to convince me to cut it short ("long hair for women our age is no longer than shoulder length," "hair longer than that looks unkempt", etc, etc). So I almost cut it to chin length, but I'm so glad I didn't! So I'm going to count last summer, age 37, as when I first decided to "go for it" and let it grow to be really long (classic or more).

Aisha25
January 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Since birth I was always taught long hairs is beautiful and shows her health and beauty in a woman;)

Javadandy
January 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I was about 5 years old. My mom loved pixie cuts on my sister and I, and they looked great on her, but I hated them so much. It was like 1970. For you who remember the early 70s, Cher had this long flowing hair (maybe even her own hair - Ha! :wink:), and I loved it! There used to be a commercial on T.V. for a shampoo called "Long and Silky" with a hair model with tb length hair. I know I'm so dated. :doh: But that's the hair I wanted. I would try and try, never getting past the middle of my back. It would be in my mid 30s when I found out my thyroid was not working (probably for most of my life) and that's when I realized I would have a chance to reach this goal. **Hoping for tb in 2010.**

MamaGigi
January 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
I just celebrated my 33rd birthday yesterday and made the decision to let it grow to at least my tailbone. I'm not sure of what all the abbreviations are but I may not cut it short again, if I learn how to keep it fixed up. :)