PDA

View Full Version : DS13's hair

jissy
January 21st, 2009, 06:23 AM
I have a son who is going to be 14 very soon. For years I have buzzed his head since he was 3 and we had a problem with ticks and he was infected. Every time it would grow he would get it to a certain length it would be hot out and he would say buzz it again. (football helmets and hair dont mix he would say).

well this year he let it grow, i have noticed that it looks a bit well it's looks like he has a mop on his head. It's still short although it covers his ears and he does have a curl to the ends that I didn't think he had. We would like him to get a style as he has never been to a hair stylist before. He hasn't figured out what he wants so we haven't gone.

The problem isnt that, it's really the oily head he has. He washes his hair and either by night or the next day his hair looks like he bathed it in butter. I am not kidding this is really bad.

He has seboric dermatitis and once or so a year he winds up with a build up and you can see it in a patch that gets bad. I have him using Tgel or Nisorel(sp) for a while and it cleared up and didn't return but the oily hair is bad. I didn't really notice he had oily hair before because it was always buzzed.

So i bought him head and shoulders to use daily and it's for oily hair. it doens't seem to be helping the oily part but again his scalp has no issues with the seboric dermatitis.

Should I chalk this up to being a teenager or is this his hair for the rest of his life. And if so either way how can i help him?

His hair is so healthy I have to say, but the oil is getting to him.

Ranee
January 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Head and shoulders is harsh on the hair because of the detergents that strip the hair from all of it's natural oils. It could be that the scalp overproduces oil because of this. I would recommend trying CO or WO or a sls-free shampoo.

Addy
January 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM
I have a ds13 with this kinda hair too but his hair is very, I mean very thick! He has more hair than DH, dd and I put together. I kid you not!

Now that it's growing <I use to buzz him too>, he CO and his hair is great! Now, there are times when he is the Sebum King and I'll dunk him in the sink and clarify him.

I love his hair though. He's not really a curly but his ends do the wild flip too. I am so happy he has decided to become a long hair with his momma. :D

DH wants to cut it. I told him over my dead body! :luke: Someone mistook them for a couple. :D

jissy
January 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
His hair was oily way before the head and shoulders. The reason for the H&S and the Tgel or Nizerol is "because" of the oil. All that oil was causing the flaking and the patches of almost like scabs of the dermatitis.

Since using this stuff his hair doesn't have the dandruff or patches anymore but it's still oily.

If his hair is oily and we are trying to not let it be so oily why would I use a conditioner only on it? Wouldn't that be adding to the problem?

His must be very bad if H&S strips the hair of natural oils and this kid produces oil instantly afterward.

It looks like he hasn't washed his hair for a week after it dries a few hours later.

I need to control the oil so how do i do that? His forehead is of course broken out due to the oil on his hair as well but that we can fix fast so I'm not worried about that.

Currently he only washes his hair never conditions it.

What is SLS?

lilalong
January 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Ok, I have a friend who has shortish hair, that is very, very oily.
Washing less, or going CO for a while didn't help her. What works for her is washing her hair every day, shampooing two or three times. Then her hair looks clean for approx. a day.

Since she doesn't let her hair grow very long (less than shoulders) she isn't worried about damage.