PDA

View Full Version : How do you dry your hair?

Stephunny
January 21st, 2009, 03:51 AM
Does the way you dry your hair affect the way it forms?

Is putting it up in a turban a bad way to dry?
How about flipping it over your head and shaking it up with a towel?

manderly
January 21st, 2009, 03:55 AM
I dry my hair in twists. You can read and see more of it in the second link (soft waves) in my signature.

It definitely affects the way your hair looks when dry. You can plop, braid, bun, wrap, ponytail, etc. All those will give you different looking/feeling hair when dry :)

It's best to get an idea what the outcome will be and experiment on your own to see what you like your hair to look like :D

Bene
January 21st, 2009, 04:48 AM
i'm a curly/frizzy so if i don't put my hair up in a towel, it'll dry too fast and then i end up looking like a poodle. if i brush/comb after that, i end up with big poofy frizzy hair. i'm considering doing that to see how my hair turns out, haven't done it in a looooong time.

so i put it up in a towel until it's damp, then i oil, comb and bun. i take my damp bun every so often to spritz it with kimberlily's defrizz spray on my ends which require the most attention :rolleyes: my hair turns out wavy and shiny.

Loviatar
January 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM
I actually do something kind of weird...

I wrap my hair in a turbie towel for about 5 minutes. Then I let my length down and fingercomb. But then, I kind of swing my hair over to one side, and pat/smack the length quite hard with an open palm. I get some good volume and it doesnt add tangles for me.
Then I switch to the other side and repeat.

It seems to work :)

Addy
January 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM
I wrap my hair soaking wet in a towel before I step out of the shower, get dressed and then I let it down, bend over and scrunch the excess out gently, I never rub like a mad woman. :D Then I flip over, comb out with a wide tooth and air dry.

harpyangel
January 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
I wrap mine in a turbie towel until I'm dressed and ready to go, then let it down and either plait it, put it in a bun or just leave it down! With the plait or the bun it is still damp when I take it out at night though. I sometimes wonder if that's good for the hair.

Angelina xxx

crystal_89
January 21st, 2009, 05:42 AM
When I dry my hair I try to do it in a way to allow the most curls possible for me. This means having it wrapped up in a towel until the dripping stops, then put it it a ponytail and not comb.

If I leave it to dry in a towel... it just won't dry.

I think that shaking my hair dry with a towel is bad for it and will cause more breaks so I avoid towel drying in that fashion. I just use my towel to catch the drips.

paper
January 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
I wrap my hair in a turbie towel. I pull my bangs out so they don't dry sticking up! I leave it on for about 30 minutes, comb with a horn comb, blow dry my bangs, and let the rest air dry.

Alia
January 21st, 2009, 07:38 AM
I drape a t-shirt over my back and let it drip/air dry that way.:)

RetroKitten
January 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM
When I come out of the shower I immediately pad my hair dry so I can get the most water out of it and then I leave it like this to dry completely which takes less than an hour... I try to avoid putting it up in a turban, makes my hair kind of unmanagable!

Debra83
January 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
When I come out of the shower I immediately pad my hair dry so I can get the most water out of it and then I leave it like this to dry completely which takes less than an hour... I try to avoid putting it up in a turban, makes my hair kind of unmanagable!

I LOVE your avatar....SO CUUUTTE!!!!

Elphie
January 21st, 2009, 08:08 AM
After I get out of the shower, I pat it a bit with a towel to get some of the excess water, then I drape the towel over my shoulders and let it air dry. After about forty minutes, I use a cool dryer to fix my bangs and help it finish drying at the roots and the nape of my neck if it's still wet. Then I just put it up and go.

Duchess of Erat
January 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
I squeeze the water out in the shower, then I put a towel over my head and wrap the ends around my hair. I leave that for a while, then change the towel around so another, more dry bit is around my hair. I leave that for a while again and then just take the towel off and let it airdry. If I have to go out, I'll bun it so I don't have to comb before it's dried.

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
I have fine hair, and if I don't turban or bun it, then it's frizz city!! Most of the time, I use my turbie-twist towel, and turban it for about an hour and a half (at the most...sometimes I don't make it even half as long before it irritates me and I take it down!), then I spritz it with leave-in conditioner and let it dry down my back. If I bun it, I try to take it down and re-twist in the opposite direction every hour or so, just to make sure it dries evenly. :)

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Oh yes, one more thing! I absolutely do not, under no circumstances, EVER turn my head upside down and scrub my head dry with a towel. That's like BEGGING for tangles!! :(

XeniaR
January 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Oh yes, one more thing! I absolutely do not, under no circumstances, EVER turn my head upside down and scrub my head dry with a towel. That's like BEGGING for tangles!! :(

Same with me. I NEVER wrap my hair in a towel with it flipped up. When I used to do this I would get birds nests of tangles.

I squeeze the water out of the hair in sections, running the towel down it after patting the top of my head. I try to be gentle with this.

Then I grab a dry towel and go to my loveseat in the living room (near the heating vent) drap the towel on the love seat, cuddle with my two cats and watch TV. The movement of the air from the vent helps my hair dry a little, but mostly, in the winter it is the warmest place to sit and wet hair is cold.

I have not used a hair dryer for ... well.. over a year at least. I still have it. I would use it if I had to hurry to get my hair dry once in a while. But I wash my hair at night.

When my hair is almost dry, I finger comb it. Sometimes I use a wide tooth comb but I have almost stopped using it because I can't get those ridges completely out even though I have used an emery board repeatedly on them. I can't afford to get a different comb right not but I will when I get back to working and catch up with bills.

vampodrama
January 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
gently squeeze the excess water out, wrap hair gently in the towel. leave towel on for about 5 minutes or so. take off the towel, headbang violently for several times to shake the hair loose. let it airdry until whenever. comb sometime during the current week.

that's the basics anyway :D I don't comb my hair really until it's totally dry, sometimes I fingercomb, but not every time. I frequently fluff the hair up at the roots as it's drying because I somehow imagine it will give me more body and volume.

rags
January 21st, 2009, 09:23 AM
I squeeze the excess out then put it in one of those twistie turban microfiber towels and leave it for half an hour or so. Then I take it down, put leave in it if I'm going to, comb it and let it air dry.

I'm thinking, however of buying just a regular microfiber towel instead of the turbie twist because I think it's making it frizzier, and because I'm such a clutz that I have been known to get my hair caught in the twist. So now that it's finally getting longer I'm thinking of getting a plain towel.

Charli800
January 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
I twist my hair into a loose bun (to avoid tangles) and wrap it in a towel for somewhere between five and fifteen minutes. Then I brush out some of the water, put a towel over my shoulders and let it dry itself. If I have to go out, I bun it, but then I have to let it down to dry later.
My hair comes out almost-straight no matter how I dry it, though.

Pixna
January 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
I put my hair in a turbi-twist for about 10 to 15 minutes or so. Then I comb a bit of leave-in product through it and let it air dry.

Michou
January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm going to have go google turbie towel, it sounds like an opportunity to spend money. ;)

I try to be gentle with my hair but do use a towel to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. I turban it up for a while and then take it down, comb and air dry. I tried finger combing and unless there is a knack about it that I don't know, it lets tiny tangles develop.

Gingevere
January 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
I squeeze all the excess water out of my hair before I step out of the shower, then wrap it in a towel or turbie for about 10 minutes. After that, I comb out the tangles, put a little olive oil cream in, and scrunch it a bit to make loose waves.

My hair really holds water, so it generally takes a pretty long time to dry naturally. Sometimes I'm forced to blow dry it because I have to walk across campus to the academic building and I don't want to do that with wet hair when it's -25˚F. I doubt using a blow dryer on the cool setting for five minutes is more damaging than letting my poor hair freeze solid!

jojo
January 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I am really lazy, I just pop a towel over my shoulders, don't ring or blot just leave it dripping. I do gently comb through though!

MrsGuther
January 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
I scrunch most of the water out of my hair with a towel right after I get out of the shower. If I wrap my hair up in a towel it's usually only for about 5 minutes or less while I am picking out my clothes for the day. After I scrunch the water out of my hair with a towel (gently!) then I le it air dry.

sandigirl
January 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I twist/wring out as much water as I can after washing in the shower, wrap a towel around it and tuck under (never put it up) for about 5 minutes. Then I brush it out with a vent brush while blow drying for 2 minutes. I take a 5 minute break and do it again for 2 more minutes. Then I take another break and do it again. If I don't blow dry my hair ends up wavy and I prefer a straighter look.
I do my very thick bangs every morning or two. Head in the sink. Shampoo only. Rub it 1/4 dry with a towel, blow/style dry, and go.

RocketDog
January 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
most wash days I just braid it and it dries by the following morning.

if wash day falls on a weekend, I air-dry but frequently mist the canopy with plain water to keep it from frizzing up - the canopy dries a lot faster than the hair underneath, so spritzing it helps it to dry a little more evenly.

xeternalsilence
January 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I wrap my hair in a turbie towel after I shower, but only until immediately after I get dressed. If I leave it in for longer than 3 or 4 minutes, having nice hair for the rest of the day is absolutely hopeless.

It's weird though. I hear of so many other people with curly hair who leave their hair to dry in a towel completely, and have gorgeous curls when they take it out. If I do this, my hair is slightly wavy and really fluffy and weird looking.

Cloverleaf
January 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
I CWC once or twice weekly in the mornings before work. The way I dry is similar to a lot - wrap in a microfiber towel for 5-10 minutes, reapplying it a couple times to absorb better. If I leave the microfiber towel on too long, it seems to make my hair too dry or something. Then apply a little jojoba oil to the ends while it's still damp and gently separate with a wide tooth comb.

I then proceed to my 20-minute exercise routine each morning, and that helps with the drying process.

HairyCarrie
January 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM
I gently wring out my hair before getting out of the shower. Then I comb it wet with a wide tooth comb. I get my bangs down before I put the rest in a turbie towel, else they'll end up with a funny part in them. Then I stay towelled for about 10 minutes while I do my skincare. Finally I blowdry and then add big rollers. I'm still a shortie and look awful with airdried or uncurled hair.

My routine is done before going out for the day. I'm anxious to see if things change when I get much longer.

Forever_Sophie
January 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I do the turban thing, just for maybe 15 min. Then I comb it out, add leave in conditioner, serum/oil, comb it straight. Still dries in big waves :)

Jessikinz
January 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
I gently blot a towel over the top of my hair and squeeze the length very gently with a towel, to get all the excess water out. Then I put my hair in a loose bun on the top of my head with the ends tucked in. Surprisingly it stays that way without the need of a hair stick or pins. I can't stand the towel turban thingy method. It never worked for me.

Sihda
January 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
I squeeze my hair with my hands than fingercomb gently and apply some oil (jojoba/coconut) at the ends. After that I wrap a towel around my head and let it dry for half an hour. Then I wrap my hair in a new and dry towel and let it dry for another hour or so. This way my hair is drying much quicker :).

MusingFrog
January 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Using a towel, I "blot" the top of my head till it isn't dripping and is just damp. Then I take the towel and squeeze out the water in the length (by grabbing the hair at my nape with the towel, squeezing, moving an inch down, squeeze again, repeat). Then I wrap my hair up in the towel, but it still hangs straight down my back, for about five minutes. Then I take the towel off, comb, and let it air dry.

Normally my hairline is dry first, followed by the length, and lastly the roots. I used to dry my hair any which way, but this definitely works the best for keeping my hair under control and the frizzies away.

Nera
January 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I let my hair dry in sections, because it's just to much to dry all at once! so I let one section down, oil it and let it dry. (: really works for me. if I braid or bun my hair when damp, it will not dry at all. it takes me about 24 hours to dry it, if I don't use a blowdryer (I don't do that of course). (:

DarkChocolate
January 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
I only airdry my hair:)
After it is dry I put a boar bristle brush through it to smooth it out:)

Ryanne
January 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
I used to let it airdry, but started using a turbie towel instead. I either braid or bun it after taking the towel off, and leave it until it's dry.

dearladydisdain
January 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I squeeze the water out with a towel and go about my business. :)

Coriander
January 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I squeeze as much water as possible out while I'm still in the shower.
Then I wrap it up in a turbie-twist and let that go for about an hour.
I'll then coconut-oil the ends and put it into another turbie-twist (I have three) and let that go another hour or so.

After that, it's air-drying. Sometimes I'll braid it, especially if I'm going to bed soon after.

Does anyone else besides me wish that they would make a turbie-twist for super long hair??? I have to fold my hair in half.

NeilTheFuzz
January 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
First, I gently sqeeze out excess water from my hair. Secondly, I wrap my hair in a towel for about 5-10 minutes. Then I just let my hair dry by the power of air. Sometimes in winter when things aren't going so quickly I will use a hair dryer. *Runs and hides!*