PDA

View Full Version : Airing hair?

Lady Verity
January 21st, 2009, 03:25 AM
I've just finished reading Edmund White's Hotel De Dream, and there's a character in it with long blonde hair. There are plenty of lingering descriptions of this fabulous hair and how she cares for it. She 'feeds' it with linseed oil and airs it for an hour each day, ie) takes it out of her updo and lets it down to take the air.

I never, ever wear my hair up, so I don't know how accurate this is. I suppose you'd have to let your hair down at some point, but this character made a ritual of letting down her hair each day for one hour, to let the air get to it. It was described as a treatment.

Does anyone know any more about this? Is it a legitimate treatment? The book is set in the early 1900s, if that helps at all.

Just curious.

Calista
January 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I would think it ´d get rid of unwanted odours. Those powder concoctions you brush through your hair to de-grease it and make it smell better are called airing powders.

Arctic
January 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
It's probably good for the scalp too, I know my scalp gets tender if I keep my hair in same position for too long (ie. a tight updo)

Kuchen
January 21st, 2009, 04:57 AM
I seem to remember an element of traditional Indian haircare which involved "airing" hair by (somehow) tapping/banging hair out in sunlight and getting fresh air to the scalp. I'm aware I haven't exactly expressed that very well!

jera
January 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've nevering heard of that, but it does make sense when you think of it. Circa 1900 women didn't shower daily but they all had to cook ( I think. Don't know about the character in your book.) and hair would get pretty stinky. :p

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
My Mum used to tell me to let my hair down for a while every day to let the air get to my scalp. When curls first came through (I was about 11) I didn't have a clue how to handle them and inevitably my hair was just a ball of coarse frizz! I kept it tied up 24/7 because I hated it so much. :( Thank goodness that's changed!

It makes some sense I suppose. I've been keeping mine up a lot lately in an attempt to protect it but I might start leaving it down while I get ready in the mornings so that it gets an "airing". :D

Kirin
January 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
It is true, the "airing" but its mainly to dry sweat from the scalp, not so much letting it "breathe". Women of those days dressed more heavily, so in warmer weather, you can imagine the scalp sweat going on. If it didn't dry out daily, one would actually get a moldy scalp and hair... not pleasant.

The linseed oil is also correct, but don't try that yourself. People back then did NOT understand just how horrifically flammable and spontainiously combustable linseed oil is. Its use fell out of favor (thank goodness!) when it was finally figured out its why many society women's hair caught fire near oil lanterns.

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
If it didn't dry out daily, one would actually get a moldy scalp and hair... not pleasant.

Ewwwww... :(

Lady Verity
January 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM
The linseed oil is also correct, but don't try that yourself. People back then did NOT understand just how horrifically flammable and spontainiously combustable linseed oil is. Its use fell out of favor (thank goodness!) when it was finally figured out its why many society women's hair caught fire near oil lanterns.

Ha! Sorry. I'd forgotten about that. They had the same problem as crinolines got wider. I really shouldn't laugh, but the image is so comical.

I think I'll stick with my coconut oil...

Aisha25
January 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
I seem to remember an element of traditional Indian haircare which involved "airing" hair by (somehow) tapping/banging hair out in sunlight and getting fresh air to the scalp. I'm aware I haven't exactly expressed that very well!
Well actually we gently slap the hair so that all the little sticks after henna or some herbal shampoo would fall out and then it would let them dry faster. But yeah they say to let the hair breath for at least an hour a day or so that way there not constantly up getting tangles:)