PDA

View Full Version : Do people think you are crazy?

LadyEliza
January 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM
I know we all get comments like "why don't you get your hair cut" and the like. But when I tell people about this forum they look at me as if I'm insane. "People get together to talk about growing hair?" one friend asked me.

Put that way it does sound a bit like watching paint dry - only more time consuming! Almost everyone I know has short hair. The only lady I know who has hair just above her waist is a friend from Canada who comes and stays. She can't grow her fine hair any longer - of course she can't, she rips through it with a metal brush, I can hear it tearing from the next room. But when I suggest a more gental treatement might help she looks at me as if I'm crazy.

To them, it's "just hair"! It grows or it doesn't.

My partner has been bald almost all of her life - by choice. She use to perform and decorate her whole head. Now, for the first time in her life, at age 53, she is growing it, under my supervision. She assures me that it won't grow longer then shoulder length - she is basing that on the fact that it has never been longer then that before. Well of course it hasn't - she kept cutting it!

Are we crazy?

http://www.miss-muffet.org/Zoe/ <=== that's her.

CourtneyS
January 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
My hair has never been much longer than APL... because I cut it ... I must admit though.. My sister has longer hair (waist or hip maybe even tailbone) and I always nag her to cut it because she leaves it down and it gets in my way...

Dianyla
January 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Probably. :shrug:

Do I give a hoot? Not really. :lol:

patissegrietje
January 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM
Wow! great photo's :)

To answer your question; i don't think we're crazy, we're just 'interested' in a certain subject ->hair :D
It's great to talk about hair experiments with other people that also experiment with haircare... it feels like i'm surrounded by scientists here.
I'm sure your partner will have fantastic really long hair with you coaching her!

patissegrietje
January 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
Ohw!
I didn't answer your question :S
Other people think i'm crazy, yes...

Nat242
January 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
I came here for hair advice, but I stay for all the awesome people. Now that I have a routine that works for me I don't spend much time talking about or thinking about my hair. Just a hint, though - don't give people hair advice unless they ask for it.

I'm sure people do think I'm crazy, but not because of my membership here! :twisted:

MadPirateBippy
January 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
They know I am crazy.

The hair is the least of it.

LadyEliza
January 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
. Just a hint, though - don't give people hair advice unless they ask for it.

lol, that's probably good advice, but I couldn't stand it - she was ripping through it and the sound was amazing. I wouldn't let her take that brush home. I gave her a good comb instead and now I use that brush on my dog!

;)

Siava
January 21st, 2009, 12:47 AM
They know I am crazy.

Very good answer and ditto. :)

Bene
January 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
well, ppl think i'm crazy, but i don't think the hair has anything to do with it :p

great pics by the way. she has the features to pull off a bald head :)

LadyEliza
January 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
They know I am crazy.

I know I'm not. My psyciatrist told me that I'm not.

LadyEliza
January 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM
well, ppl think i'm crazy, but i don't think the hair has anything to do with it :p

great pics by the way. she has the features to pull off a bald head :)

Yes, and would you believe that she thinks she is plain?

I'm dying to see what she looks like with long hair. At the moment it's pixie and naturally curly.

Lady Verity
January 21st, 2009, 03:29 AM
I think 'really' long hair is one of those things like keeping too many cats. I've seen TV chat shows where women with floor length hair have been interviewed (from the angle that they simply have to be mad).

As for myself, I'm only ever happy when I'm pursuing my own style, so screw 'em. :p

Carolyn
January 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM
They might think I'm crazy but they don't say to to my face. No one has ever asked me why I grew my hair this long. They are used to it. No one I see on a regular basis has ever seen me with hair above my shoulders.

Another hint is to not tell people you go on line and talk about growing long hair ;) I wouldn't dream of telling anyone I know about LHC. If I mention something I gleaned from LHC I say I read it at a "women's health and beauty site". Not one person has ever asked me for the addy. It's a don't ask/don't tell kind of thing. Don't offer too much information.

alkaliberry
January 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM
People where I live think I am odd anyway, who cares! lol. I came here for the hair advice to start with but now it's much more than that! I love the great tips you can find here about a huge range of topics and the health and friendship forums are brilliant too. My friends who know I come here just think it's another one of my little odd habits. Mind you when my friends have hair issues they often ask what would the advice be 'on your long hair web thingy'!

And my psychiatrist is past passing judgement on my odd habits.... I must be a lost cause!

Sherri
January 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Try wearing long hair and a long skirt/dress together. Man you will really get stared at. People can run around half naked and I will get more looks than they do. lol

twilight
January 21st, 2009, 06:34 AM
i don't think people think i am crazy for having long hair, per se, but definitely if i mention this board the looks start to change from acceptance to skepticism. ha.

interesting story--some journalism college grad (i live in gainesville FL) emailed me after he found me on here because he was writing a story on the 'subculture of people who love long hair' and after assuring myself he wasn't some kind of creep i let him interview me along with two of my friends... he was actually interested in what i had to say and we had some good conversations. i thought it was fine and that he really "got it" until i read the story. he made the three of us, one of whom is male, sound like complete crackheads who believe our lives entirely center around how long our hair is. it was horrifying. AND he used our last names without permission, in a town where everybody knows everybody! :mad:

though i'm sure the rest of you have more sense than i apparently do, i recommend being VERY wary when divulging the depth of your hair-love to others. unfortunately my privacy filters are set at way too low a permission level... :(

Anje
January 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
Do people think I'm crazy? Probably.

But not on account of the hair.

GlassEyes
January 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, as others have said, people think I'm crazy, but hair isn't the reason.

Unless you live with me. Then you think I'm crazy about that too. xD;

jissy
January 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM
People that know me say they think my hair is beautiful. I have had complete strangers strike a conversation with me JUST to say why dont you cut OR they say oh are you growing your hair out for cancer patients? When I say "no" I get... Oh wow why not? I say "My hair is long because I like it that way". Someone said to me "but all of those kids that need wigs". I said " well then grow your hair, treat it well and donate it when you have enough". Now don't get me wrong, i commend anyone who wants to do that and I know someone who grows her hair every year so she can do it and she is a kid. She's 14 almost 15 and has been doing it for several years now.

I like my hair and I dont think anyone should be forced to do anything with their hair and it's no one business what someone does with their hair.

I had one person when my dd4 was 2 1/2 say to me in a store "you you have so many kids why dont you cut your hair so i doesn't get in the way?" MY DD2 1/2 said "it doesn't get in my way" . Now think of that being said with a little bratty tone and the fact that dd adores my hair and is very smart and knows what it means when someone says cut it off. She is STILL that way and now I have a another dd that is 2 1/2 currently and loves my hair.

People have no clue about hair unless they really take care of it. For someone to tell me to cut my hair when they have short hair makes me laugh.

I've had someone argue with me that I should cut my split ends so my hair is healthy looking. I said to this person....I guess that what you did since you have no hair? They shut up fast.

People can be rude so ignore them it isn't worth it.

puredoxyk
January 21st, 2009, 07:19 AM
Well, yes, but my hair is probably the LEAST of the reasons why!

(Sorry, I saw your subject line and just had to. ;)

Seriously though? Not even a little. Maybe it's because my husband's butt-length dreadlocks seem crazier to them. ;) But most people I deal with seem to think my hair is nice; I get a lot of compliments on it.

The thing I find funny is that most people can't seem to figure out if I'm paying too much or too little attention to my hair, so if they want to judge, they can't figure out which way TO judge. And I'll be completely honest -- I always mislead them. People who say "How do you take care of hair that long?" I tell "Oh, I'm just far too lazy to cut it", and people who say "get a haircut!" I tell "do you have any idea how much work it takes to keep hair this long?" When of course, the truth is somewhere in the middle -- I really don't like all the fuss and messing around of cutting and styling short hair; but I'm willing to do some research and work to have healthy long hair.

Of course, as a philosopher I'm not allowed to discount the possibility that I AM crazy, but if that's the case, my hair is, at the very worst, a rather attractive symptom. :D

Amoretti
January 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM
I was asked point blank by a student yesterday why I had "such long hair" if I never wore it down. I replied that I really like different updos and that short hair is very limited. She thought about it and then said, "good answer". Not many people understand it like she did and she's a short hair. LOL.

I haven't told anyone IRL about my hair interest because they just wouldn't understand. I downplay the whole hair thing, in fact. The other day at work I was asked by the 2 receptionists to show them how to use a hair stick and when they saw my hair down they were gaping at it. They'd never seen it down before. One of the receptionists told my student about it and that's how she knew.

I'd recommend not telling the general public about your intense hair interest. :)

taliarose
January 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Most definately people think I'm crazy. Heck my family thinks I'm off kilter. Does anyone think this becuase of my hair? Nope. As stated previously, my hair obsession is just a wonderful, glorious, cascading symptom.

noelgirl
January 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I had one person when my dd4 was 2 1/2 say to me in a store "you you have so many kids why dont you cut your hair so i doesn't get in the way?" MY DD2 1/2 said "it doesn't get in my way" . Now think of that being said with a little bratty tone and the fact that dd adores my hair and is very smart and knows what it means when someone says cut it off. She is STILL that way and now I have a another dd that is 2 1/2 currently and loves my hair.

That is just the cutest! You're right, your DD is very smart ;)

As for being treated like I'm crazy, I do get treated like I'm crazy, but not because of my hair, I probably am crazy! In high school, though, I did get weird treatment because of my hair. It was longer then, about hip length, and I often got the "Have you ever thought about cutting it?" question in that tone where clearly they think I'm some kind of feral child who's unfamiliar with the concept :rolleyes: There was another girl in my class with longer hair, but she never got that - she had straight hair, so maybe that looked more "civilized" to them. When I wasn't getting the "you should cut it" suggestion, I was getting the "you should straighten it" suggestion, so in hindsight, I'd bet that it was that.

EdG
January 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
I think strangers are more perplexed by my hair than anything else. Most people truly can't imagine why anyone would want hair that long. :confused:
On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's this board. :cheese:
Ed

Silverlox
January 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yep! They think I'm a stark raving lunatic. They always have, though, no matter the length of my hair. :silly:

Having said that, I very rarely wear it down when out and about, and since it's fine and not very thick it doesn't look that long when up. Meaning that I'm not even close to the bun-eating-back-of-woman's-head-look.

Only my nearest and dearest have seen my hair down. And only they know about the stuff I put in it and that I'm a member of "a long hair site". They roll their eyes, laugh and tease me relentlessly. Like in, - are you going to eat that or are you saving it for your hair?

But it's all done with love and not the least bit offending. :love:

They are somewhat hardened now and if asked to assist in taking a picture of the back of my head, they just grab the camera and don't even bat an eyelash any longer. :p

It's generally not something I talk about. Not because I'm secretive, but the subject rarely comes up. If asked, I'll gladly talk about it.

The only reason my extended family knows is because we live far apart. Visiting means staying there for several days and that's when they see my hair care routines. Like bringing my own pillowcase, the weird oils in the bathroom, etc. That's when they start asking questions and the extent of my craziness is revealed.. :rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
January 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
They know I am crazy.

MPB took the words right out of my mouth! :gabigrin:

misstwist
January 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM
I don't talk to people (relatives or friends) about my hair quest.

None of their business what my personal appearance goals are. And they are MY goals so I don't give a rip what anyone says, but I am pretty quick to shut down unsolicited advice (on any subject).

My husband enjoys it because it makes me happy.

~GypsyCurls~
January 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
I'm in the same boat as MadPirateBippy and Siaya...the hair obsession is the least of my insanity! :silly:

fairydust
January 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
I don't think we're crazy for having long hair or growing it long. But then again, do crazy people know they're crazy? :D I'd be careful in labeling anyone crazy, long hair or not. But, to answer the original question: yes, people do think I'm crazy, occasionally. Sometimes it has something do with my hair, and sometimes it's about something else. Back in...2007, I think, when I still had long hair, I told one of my friends that I measure it every month in order to see the progress. She told me I was crazy. I decided then and there not to share my private thoughts with her anymore, especially ones that have something to do with hair and make-up. We disagree on a lot of things, and that's fine by me, but she seems to have a problem with agreeing to disagree :shrug:.

Katze
January 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM
People think I'm crazy anyway, I'm used to it. It's been like that since I can remember ('What do you mean, you understand what the cat is saying?!?')

However, if I do mention to people that I am growing my hair out (as explanation for why I do certain things) then they look at me like they can't believe it. Certainly hair as fine and thin as mine will never grow long, right? Heh, wrong, I can already see the difference. I'll show them! :eyebrows:

alkaliberry
January 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM
People think I'm crazy anyway, I'm used to it. It's been like that since I can remember ('What do you mean, you understand what the cat is saying?!?')

I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows what their cats is saying!! In my little feline tribe (5 of 'em) I can tell what they want by the different meows. There are definately meows that mean FOOD NOW, please open the door I need to go and eat grass and then throw up on your shoes and mummy my sister is in my bed please remove her!

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
My husband thinks I'm absolutely crazy...but then again, that has probably nothing to do with hair forums. ;)

There are precious few people in my life away from the computer who understand my passion for taking care of my hair, and posting about hair care, and obsessively grabbing the tape measure once a week. It just makes me that much more grateful for this community and the awesome support that you guys give us "newbies" (even the ones who were already LOOOONG when they joined, like me! :D), because we're viewed as almost a different species in the outside world. LOL.

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 08:38 AM

However, if I do mention to people that I am growing my hair out (as explanation for why I do certain things) then they look at me like they can't believe it. Certainly hair as fine and thin as mine will never grow long, right? Heh, wrong, I can already see the difference. I'll show them! :eyebrows:

Ya know what? My hair is fine and thin, and it's nearly classic length! You will SOOOOOO show them! :D

vampodrama
January 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
crazy, superficial, ego-centered and self-absorbed - yeah, that's what they think.

they are mostly right, of course. :D and yes, hair is the least of it.

it's funny to think that so many people still believe that long hair is somehow a sign of luxury - "don't you have anything more useful to do with your time than deal with your hair???" they think I must waste huge amounts of time and money simply for washing my hair, for example. and all those intricate braids and updos, they surely take a lot of time as well! just yesterday I wore two side lace braids which were joined at the back. NO ONE in my office believed me when I said it had taken me a grand total of ten minutes to make. over my morning coffee. they seriously must think I spend an hour every morning braiding my hair or doing other crazy voodoo things....

SHELIAANN1969
January 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Crazy? Nah.... If they think we're nuts, so be it! :D

I love the photo of your friend Zoe where she looks like she is stiched together like FrankenStein! :D I adore FrankenStein. :flower:

mira-chan
January 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Wow! great photo's :)

To answer your question; i don't think we're crazy, we're just 'interested' in a certain subject ->hair :D
It's great to talk about hair experiments with other people that also experiment with haircare... it feels like i'm surrounded by scientists here.
I'm sure your partner will have fantastic really long hair with you coaching her!
Maybe you are surrounded by us. :twisted:
Hair is the least of people's worries when it comes to me. Cosplay tends to win the weirdness award. :D

stepha
January 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Generally, no.
I don't talk to anyone but my hubby and three best girl friends. He doesn't really care and they are used to me anyway! They each looked at me oddly the first time I mentioned getting some advice here. They were surprised LHC exists. The only one who's been over during a S&D found it funny enough to tell the others. But they're not "mean' or anything negative. They just put it down to my weirdness. We all have our "things", that's part of why we're friends!

leilamarie79
January 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM
To be honest, I haven't told anyone about my quest to have hair like Alanis Morissette (see avatar), because I'm afraid people will think I'm crazy. I haven't even told my husband the extent of my goal (waist). I think he thinks I want just past my shoulders, or maybe a bit longer. I haven't started doing anything especially different with my hair yet as far as care goes (no special pillowcases or oils or anything like that) so he hasnt' been clued in yet. But he's just recently started caring about what little hair he has left, so maybe he'll be more sympathetic than I think he will be.

rosieposie
January 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Most people I know think Im a little odd when I chat about hair care, styles and hair toys, but I just think that it takes all sorts of people to make a world and while Im here I intend to carry on doing what I do..... and that includes LHC.

spidermom
January 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
No, most of the people in my life are actively supportive of anything I want to do. The only person who told me I should cut it "because it looks like a big mess" was my father, and he deserted our family when I was 14 or 15, so who cares what he thinks.

Copasetic
January 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
I mentioned that I was member of the LHC to a friend, and she had no reaction. BUT she did think I was crazy when I told her I wanted to grow my hair to my waist. Her response was "EW!!"

Speedbump
January 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Ohyeah, I'm crazy. Luckily I'm from a family that also is crazy. My dad's sister said for years before I was even born that "(our family name) are all Martians." And it's about as true as it gets. :lol:

As for the hair thing, is it really any crazier than a forum about cars, pets, tattoos or other hobbies/lifestyle choices? :shrug:

squiggyflop
January 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
yup but people would think i was crazy even if i didnt belong to this site

Speckla
January 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Sure people think I'm crazy.
Oh, you mean about my hair? Different subject than! :)

Sure, people do. I talk about my hair like it's another limb.
________
BMW V7 HISTORY (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_V7)

ktani
January 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
It is not mine (I wish it were) but during an interview, a famous actor said "Normal? What is normal? I have never met anyone who is normal."

Comfrey
January 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
My partner has been bald almost all of her life - by choice. She use to perform and decorate her whole head. Now, for the first time in her life, at age 53, she is growing it, under my supervision.
OMG! She looks amazing. I cant believe she's 53, whats her secret of eternal youth?

I dont reckon she should grow her hair because she looks mighty fine already.

CopperHead
January 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
I like to call myself eccentric, not crazy. ;) My friends and family are used to me by now and just go along. They are all a little "unusual' themselves. :)

sweetbluesky
January 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I tried to keep my visits on this website a secret, like a dirty secret! :rolleyes: My sister saw me on it one day and snorted in disgust. My husband doesn't say anything about it. But I realize that visiting a hair forum is not a bad thing, especially compared to the internet sites I COULD be visiting...;)

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
The only reason my extended family knows is because we live far apart. Visiting means staying there for several days and that's when they see my hair care routines. Like bringing my own pillowcase, the weird oils in the bathroom, etc. That's when they start asking questions and the extent of my craziness is revealed.. :rolleyes:

Yep, I get that one! Whenever I stay somewhere I have to take my CO stuff, oils, glycerin, aloe, a mountain of hair grips, hair sticks... I recently had a spell in hospital and caused quite a stir. :wink: The nurses were particularly intrigued by the oils and were very complimentary about my hair, which was lovely.

People think I'm "different" for all sorts of reasons though. I'm used to be the odd one out in most situations, although I hope it's not in a bad way... :hmm: :laugh:

Feline
January 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Growing your hair really long is not crazy. Crazy is getting an unflattering hairstyle that you hate, over and over again, from a hairdresser that you've been going to for years because you don't want to change stylists. Don't know how many times I've seen other women do that.

MemSahib
January 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Crazy? Because of my hair? Nah, surely not. Well, maybe a little. Well... yeah, sure.

Look, here in NE Texas you can still see some 80s big hair, but what you mainly see is short, fried, light-bulb-in-a-socket dos. If it was current 5 years ago, that's the here and now in this place. When I waltz by with my uncolored, unpermed classic length hair, what do you think people think? They think crazy, that's what. Especially if they knew me in my bob days. Sigh.

AJoifulNoise
January 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
I will quote my cousin. Today she told me "you know, normal isn't all that bad. You don't have to do everything different." I told her "sure, I do!" with a big grin. Yeah, people think I'm crazy. I don't fit anyone's mold. And, I like it that way!

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
I don't think we're crazy. Crazy is for people who don't understand. lol hahahha

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Look, here in NE Texas you can still see some 80s big hair, but what you mainly see is short, fried, light-bulb-in-a-socket dos. If it was current 5 years ago, that's the here and now in this place. When I waltz by with my uncolored, unpermed classic length hair, what do you think people think? They think crazy, that's what. Especially if they knew me in my bob days. Sigh.

Woah! They still wear their hair like that? I think I'd be scared. lol :D

rags
January 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm with Sherri - not only do they think I'm crazy for the hair, but I only wear skirts, not pants. Then you really get the looks! Oh, and it is apparently a mortal sin not to dye your hair when you are only in your forties, for heaven's sake! :rolleyes:

MemSahib
January 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm with Sherri - not only do they think I'm crazy for the hair, but I only wear skirts, not pants. Then you really get the looks! Oh, and it is apparently a mortal sin not to dye your hair when you are only in your forties, for heaven's sake! :rolleyes:I find skirts and dresses MUCH more comfortable than pants and wear pants only for exercise, then change right back into my comfy skirts. And yes, I know about the sin of not coloring one's hair. :rolleyes:

pariate
January 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
I find skirts and dresses MUCH more comfortable than pants and wear pants only for exercise, then change right back into my comfy skirts. And yes, I know about the sin of not coloring one's hair. :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha! I was on another thread about grey hairs just now, discussing this question. I'm cultivating a white streak that started when I was 19. I refuse to dye it, despite all the comments.

Heaven only knows how it's going to look in another 8 years... I'm only 27! :D

purplebubba
January 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM
"Do people think you are crazy?"

Does it matter?
Is it crazy that being here led to actually meeting people?

Some of the best memories of my life are what the internet has led me to do.
I met people that like lighthouses. I drove to Nashville and drove a person to New England to see them. I flew to Salt Lake City just to visit a friend and her daughters. I spent a week visiting a family in Georgia.

Yeah I'm crazy. I'm glad I'm not trying hard to be normal. I wasn't born to be normal. I wasn't born to be like everyone else.

I'd rather be myself shy in a corner being nice to those who give me the time of day than try to be fake to blend in. Besides if you keep adding the same ingredients to the milkshake you never change the taste.

Waylon Jennings
I've Always Been Crazy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/smilies/music.gif
I've always been crazy and the trouble that it's put me through
I've been busted for things that I did, and I didn't do
I can't say I’m proud of all of the things that I’ve done
But I can say I’ve never intentionally hurt anyone

I've always been different with one foot over the line
Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Beautiful lady are you sure that you understand
The chances your taking loving a free living man
Are you really sure you really want what you see
Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
So far I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

ATrixie
January 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
gosh, really interesting thread!!

Originally Posted by MadPirateBippy
They know I am crazy.

I have to agree, lol!!

Not only do I have waist-length hair (which is mostly put up or braided in public, and mostly nobody really cares about that) BUT I'm doing WO/NW & staying away from shampoo (which REALLY shocked my Grandma!! ;) most people outside family don't know anyway..) AND I'm also perusing the zero waste blogs and sites and finding all sorts of ideas to minimize waste there... So THIS may get people closest to me thinking most about how crazy I am... Those that aren't on the same wagon lol..
But to me, people buying things just to throw them away, or indeed getting terrible haircuts month after month... isn't that crazier?
I'm much happier with my hair now, we've made peace.. It sometimes still isn't perfect, but I use no shampoo (cost-effective, time-effective, environmentally friendly and more healthy..) and can pull off some cool do's!! How much cooler does it get??!! :)
And this all mostly thanks to this forum... (I mostly don't specifically tell about this forum, except if specifically asked for tips on WO/NW or such.. I'm on a bunch of other forums anyway... and indeed, there are much weirder places online.. We could all be playing WOW or Neopets.. getting informed about hair and environmentally healthier living and making friendships is muuch more constructive!! :))

Elenna
January 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
yup but people would think i was crazy even if i didnt belong to this site

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

wintersun99
January 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM

Elenna
January 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
....great pics by the way. [Your friend] ... has the features to pull off a bald head :)

She has nice features, and a wonderfully shaped head for not having any hair. Not everyone looks so good.

CatToy
January 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Well, they thought I was nuts when I cut it all off to about an inch in length, so maybe they won't be too surprised when it starts to grow long again! But I know as it grows I will hear, "You look better with your hair short" because that's what I heard once the extremely short length started to grow out. But you know what? I am doing this for ME, not them!

CatToy

Fluke
January 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
When I'm working long hours I sometimes bring my msm and hair vitamins to work. One time my backpack was partially open and my supervisor saw a couple of bottles.
She asked what it was for and when I told hair it was vitamins for healthy hair growth, as I was growing it out again, she gave me *that* look, the oh so famous "are you crazy?" look.

Anyway, I too have often wondered if there even is such a thing as "normal".
I have come to the conclusion that "normal" doesn't exist :)

mira-chan
January 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
When I'm working long hours I sometimes bring my msm and hair vitamins to work. One time my backpack was partially open and my supervisor saw a couple of bottles.
She asked what it was for and when I told hair it was vitamins for healthy hair growth, as I was growing it out again, she gave me *that* look, the oh so famous "are you crazy?" look.

Anyway, I too have often wondered if there even is such a thing as "normal".
I have come to the conclusion that "normal" doesn't exist :)
I don't think normal exists either. To quote one of my Anthropology professors "If you think someone is normal, you don't know them well enough."

itsMEowKat
January 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
They know I am crazy.

I'm right there with ya! :D

RocketDog
January 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
I find and subscribe to forums for any subject I'm researching - a hair forum is just one of many :P

People think I'm crazy, but for more than just the forums. I don't mind, I'd rather be considered crazy/eccentric than BORING!

Alun
January 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM

You beat me to it!

Isilme
January 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
well, my friends know I'm crazy, so growing long hair was just another odd thing to add to the list, among liking plants, especially orchids and carnivorious plants, and let's not forget about the vampires and gothy stuff. Cameras are my only "normal" hobby.

Alun
January 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
I like to call myself eccentric, not crazy. ;) My friends and family are used to me by now and just go along. They are all a little "unusual' themselves. :)

My mum and her friend once colluded to buy my dad and the other lady's husband copies of a book called "Great Essex Eccentrics". I think they were trying to tell them something!

(Essex is the county in England that I'm originally from)

lizzyjo
January 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I prefer not to tell people about my activity with LHC, except for my parents. My mom has her sewing machine forums, my dad has his pipe organ forums, and I have my hair forum.

blondecat
January 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Try wearing long hair and a long skirt/dress together. Man you will really get stared at. People can run around half naked and I will get more looks than they do. lol

I am most often in long skirts and long shirts too [summer here, but, I get sunburnt easily] and Yes, I know what you mean

Tho, I most often have my hair pinned up.

Arriens
January 22nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Another hint is to not tell people you go on line and talk about growing long hair ;) I wouldn't dream of telling anyone I know about LHC. If I mention something I gleaned from LHC I say I read it at a "women's health and beauty site".
In my case they would call me crazy for going to a "women's health and beauty site" :p

But alas, I gues that many people around me allready think that I am crazy. :p

meriellyn
January 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
Every body knows I'm weird. And I've been crazy about my hair for a long time. They thought I was crazy when I was fanatical about straightening it, dyed it blue/platinum blonde/fire engine red/everyother color in the rainbow (literally), buzzed it off to 1/4"... the list goes on. Now I'm nutty for being a little fanatical about giving all of that up to grow it out.
I also have over half a dozen cats (and four dogs and two fishtanks) and knit (and crochet and crosstitch). So yeah, I'd say I'm firmly lodged in "crazy" for most people. Lol.

It doesn't help that I am on three hair boards and refer to them individually (to family members and the closest friends). I'm not sure if they think I'm weirder for that or the three crafting communities I'm a part of as well.

But they know where to come a knockin' when they have hair problems or want some kick@$$ socks so they don't give me too much crap. ;)

That's all just based on hobbies and pets... not to mention all my other weird habits and ways. Lol.

I'm "interesting" ;)

I love John Cleese's line from Rat Race... "I'm eccentric! *rawr*!" Hehe...

CountessDeJager
January 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Dear Eliza,

I've had half my hair long and the other half short so what people think has never been an issue for me. I explain this place as my Internet home, a site with hair care information and friendships. Being on the website doesn't get me bewildered looks as much as telling people I met my husband on a long hair site. :p "A dating site for long haired women?" :suspect: is the usual reaction and then I get to explain the now defunct "The Long Hair Site" which had a similar community and "not a dating site" atmosphere as LHC. I couldn't help falling for my favorite poster there.

Bill D. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=905) and I even had a bunch of LHCers at our wedding and nobody thought it odd to know so many people with extremely long hair, but then again we do live near San Francisco. It takes a lot to be weird here.

It is so good to see you around again, Eliza! :puppykisses:

Elizabeth

P.S. Zoe will really appreciate when you can point her to curly hair advice here. If anybody thinks you are crazy Zoe can back you up and say how useful it is to have a resource. :)

MunchkinBubble
January 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
My boyfriend finds it weird that I come on this site. He calls it my "hair cult". :)

Xandergrammy
January 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think normal exists either. To quote one of my Anthropology professors "If you think someone is normal, you don't know them well enough."

In my line of work, we like to say that "normal" is a setting on a washing machine. :sun:

Magicknthenight
January 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
well people always thought i was..a bit out of the ordinary..to say the least:eyebrows:
which is fine with me
But yea i don't usually talk to people much about hair. I may compliment theirs or something or give them tips if its brought up but yea that's it. Since their not into hair i don't want to bore them. Theirs only really a few people i can talk to about hair and sometimes i feel like I'm talking about it too much. Sure they think I'm weird. But its all in good fun. yea one time i was checking my E-mail and got one from here and my friend saw and started laughing at me -.- gee thanks. and she made fun of me for coming here for a while. So i stopped the small hair discussions i had with her and wore my hair up (even though i always do) i made sure to so as not to get comments from her. Of course every time i wear a new hair toy she comments. sometimes kinda making fun. which bugs me seriously. especially since after making fun she will probably join because i did. (another story)
But no..i don't really tell people about my hair obsessions unless were really close.
I mean people know i like it but not to the extent i share here. Friends know i like hair toys and such and I'm growing it out but that's about it. But i usually wear it up so i don't think they know how long it is. when they say i have a nice hair toy I'm like thanks! and they might tell me to take it down but I'm like..its really..heavily oiled. so i can't. so i guess they know i oil it. 1 friend in particular because every time we went to the store i would see if they had certain oils.
but yea..i kinda keep it to myself. if someone talks to me about hair i have no problem talking to them and telling them about different hair care methods. but other then that..naw guess not.
wish i knew someone in real life that liked growing their hair as much as i do though