PDA

View Full Version : Six months S&D only

spidermom
January 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
My last trim, blew my own hair dry for a straight measurement, 33 inches, July 18, 2008:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/0808sigpic.jpg

35 inches, October 18, 2008:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/1008.jpg

37 inches, January 18, 2009:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/Jan09.jpg

The change in color is due to the change in lighting for each picture, nothing else.
So far, I like S&D only!

jojo
January 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
thats incredible growth 4" in 6 months! Your hemline looks perfect too

I am on this route too, seems daft to cut hair which doesn't need it.

Congratulations on excellent growth and healthy hair, its looking stunning as usual.

Carolyn
January 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Wowsers, Spideymom! You are getting fantastic growth along with keeping such a nice hemline. You definitely have this long hair growing thing down. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

spidermom
January 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Oh my; haha; thanks jojo and carolyn. You two must think I'm terribly self-indulgent for posting this twice, but the other was my blog, which is restricted, so I thought I'd share with the wider public. There are so many questions about trimming, not trimming, when, how much, S&D, and so forth. I thought people might like to see the results of my most recent choice.

Carolyn
January 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
When you've got it FLAUNT IT! :cool:

Elphie
January 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
You are getting some great growth there, spidermom. I've pretty much watched you grow from a little past waist to tailbone in the time I've been here! I'm not touching mine till April. I have some quick runners in my canopy that make my hemline wonky and I figure I may need to even things up a bit for the slow guys by then.

SchnauzerMom
January 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Wow your hair looks gorgeous, inspiration to me!

HairyCarrie
January 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think that's a great approach to getting the length you need but keeping splits at bay. It's inspirational to a shortie like me.

trolleypup
January 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
And S&D is a lot easier then your hair is that long!

Great going!

PS: I've been S&D only for a long long time.

JamieLeigh
January 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Wow, awesome growth! You're so lucky to still have a straight hemline with S&D only! (If that's what you're wanting, that is, LOL) My back and underside hairs grow faster than my front and side hairs...which incites chagrin in me, since I've been growing out my bangs/fringe forEVER. :p

Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing!! It's always fun to look at progress pics! :D

Nat242
January 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Your hair looks fantastic!

I've been doing S&D only since September 2007. I like it too!

MsBubbles
January 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Gorgeous hair! Great progress. Thanks for posting (I didn't see the blog).

Tressie
January 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Your hair looks lovely whether it's straight or whurly! I'm in the S&D club too. I can't really remember my last trim date! (o:

Good growth, health, and shine! Love your color too (in any light)!

Fillette
January 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
That is some pretty amazing growth! Your hair always looks so neat and perfect. Thanks for sharing, this is very inspirational to me :)

angelthadiva
January 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Very beautiful, SM! :flower:

darkwaves
January 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Look at that lovely hair!

I'm glad you shared this here.

ladyluck
January 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
You have beautiful hair. :)

Ryanne
January 20th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Great growth.
Your hair is very beautiful!

DecafJane
January 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Wow, your hair is getting so long! It looks great. :D
The ends look so even and healthy, so I wouldn't cut, either.

Catladyintown
January 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM
I think your hair always looks gorgeous.

Johanna64
January 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM
Wow,your hair is so beautiful!! :)

paper
January 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Looks good, with no trims. And, you have gained alot of growth! Congrats!

Xandergrammy
January 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Beautiful, spidermom!!

spidermom
January 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you all so much. I had no idea my hair could grow this fast. When I had it trimmed every 6-8 weeks, I averaged 4.75 inches of growth PER YEAR.

LutraLutra
January 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
Ooh, nice growing, and I love the colour(s) of your hair. :)

I had no idea my hair could grow this fast. When I had it trimmed every 6-8 weeks, I averaged 4.75 inches of growth PER YEAR. I agree - the less I go and have my hair trimmed, the less lenght I lose and my hair gets longer. :D

maskedrose
January 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
I saw this in your blog but I'm glad you shared it with everyone - thats some serious inspiration! You'll be classic in no time with that growth rate! I'm trying to stretch out my trimmings as much as possible too - I feel that I'll never get to waist if I keep trimming!

jojo
January 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Oh my; haha; thanks jojo and carolyn. You two must think I'm terribly self-indulgent for posting this twice, but the other was my blog, which is restricted, so I thought I'd share with the wider public. There are so many questions about trimming, not trimming, when, how much, S&D, and so forth. I thought people might like to see the results of my most recent choice.

self indulgent no way, encouraging and inspirational yes, very much so!

MemSahib
January 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
It's most gorgeous, Spidermom! But then, it always is! Just beautiful...

HildeMV
January 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
What is S&D?

Culdayne
January 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Spidermom! That is such great progress, your hair is wonderful!

May I ask if you were doing self-trims before? I have found a couple of great stylists over the years but I still end up with getting more than I want cut off, so I am going to stick with self-trim. I don't have the patience for S&D, ha ha....wish I did.

Since i've been keeping my hair up almost all of the time and going back to henndigo, I don't see any splits at all but I must have them. :shrug:

*off to find the thread about self-trim in hopes there are pointers for layered hair*

Tap Dancer
January 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I like that length on you. Your hair looks wonderful. :grin: S&D is great!

spidermom
January 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
What is S&D?

That's when you look at the ends of your hair under bright light - I use a lamp - and cut away any obvious damage, knots, or split ends. They are really easy for me to spot because the damaged hairs are lighter in color than the normal, healthy hairs.

spidermom
January 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Spidermom! That is such great progress, your hair is wonderful!

May I ask if you were doing self-trims before? I have found a couple of great stylists over the years but I still end up with getting more than I want cut off, so I am going to stick with self-trim. I don't have the patience for S&D, ha ha....wish I did.

Since i've been keeping my hair up almost all of the time and going back to henndigo, I don't see any splits at all but I must have them. :shrug:

*off to find the thread about self-trim in hopes there are pointers for layered hair*

No, I have been through 3 different stylists since I began my long hair journey. Only once was I unhappy that the stylist cut off too much at one time, but it was my fault. I was babbling to her about how I wanted to grow out my layers and cut to a blunt hem. So she cut halfway through my layers, 2 inches instead of the 1/2 inch I had asked for. No great big fat hairy deal, although I didn't go back to her again.

My first stylist had me come in for a trim every 6-8 weeks. She had gorgeous classic length hair so I did it her way for 4-5 years. I only gained an average of 4-3/4 inch PER YEAR on that schedule. The last couple of years, I've been having a trim every 3 months and averaging 5-1/2 inches per year. I'm really interested to see how much length I gain in one year of no trimming.

Just_Isabel
January 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
It looks like S&D only is working really well for you, Spidermom! Your hair looks great. :cheese:

skay
January 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Spidermom, your hair length is awesome! Thanks for sharing your tips and progress. :)

tiny_teesha
January 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Your hair looks amazing!!! :) S&D really works for you it seems! :)

Rini
January 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks so much for posting those Spidermom! I am trying the self trim twice a year method and I seem to have gained length without having ratty ends (well, they are a little bit ratty....but not as bad as when I was on the no trimming schedule). S&D is another good option for me though and I'm really impressed how your hemline seems so even with just doing that. I think I will seriously consider that when my hair gets a little longer.

:flowers:

Gilly
January 24th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Looking fabulous as usual!
S&D only is the way to go for you I think :cheese:

Tap Dancer
January 24th, 2009, 04:00 AM
What is S&D?

It stands for "search and destroy." You look for damage and cut it off.

pdy2kn6
April 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
hey, the slight fairytaling looks great in your hair, hows the s/d going 3 months on?

Elphie
April 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm on an "almost" no trimming schedule. I did a trim in November and then waited six months to see if I needed one. Took off at most a quarter of an inch in a couple of spots and dusted the rest. My plan is to make it to November again and hopefully only needing one a year.

Your hair is growing at an awesome pace, spidermom!

RavennaNight
April 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Wow beautiful! S&D only works well for you! Your hair is gorgeous.:)

Debra83
April 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'm impressed but unable to do that yet. I still have to do the self-trim/dusting method I came up with because of the length of my hair and layers.

One day though, I may be able to do that too!!!

naturalme
April 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Inspiring! Thanks for posting these pictures.

melrose1985
April 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It looks great!

spidermom
April 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I haven't seen this thread pop up in such a long time so am surprised to see it now. I will do my next picture and measurement on April 18. That will be 9 months of S&D only. I didn't think I would, but I like the taper and slight fairy-taling that I am developing. My hair looks less like a thick hairy cape than it used to; more like the hair of the good witch in a fairy tale.

marajade
April 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Way to grow- luuuuuuuv your hemline!

Lamb
April 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
That's some awesome growth! And your hemline is very thick and even, too. :eye:

ETA: Ah, I see this is an old thread - nevermind, I stand by the above! :)

Altocumulus
April 12th, 2009, 06:24 AM
The hair of the good witch in a fairy tale...I love that description!

Looking forward to seeing your new pics!

SpecialKitty
April 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Your hair looks so healthy and LONG Spidermom - I am inspired by your experience with S&D. When this thread popped up in January, I switched from self-trimming every couple of months to only doing S&D. I'm growing again now, which is very exciting (I had many months with virtually no growth). And my length and ends look much healthier. Thanks for the motivation I needed.

Your hair just looks so lovely :flowers:

Xandergrammy
April 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Your hair looks amazing, spidermom!