PDA

View Full Version : Child's curly hair a mess

sherigayle
January 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
My 3 year old son has curly hair(3b). The back gets so snarled up overnight. I usually dampen it and add some almond oil and let it dry and it's fine throughout the day. Then at night it gets all tangled up again. I've tried putting oil on it at night before bed, but the results are the same. I even have him using a satin pillow case, but he doesn't usually stay on it all night. I had the same curly hair as a child, but my mother said she never had this issue with mine and I've never experienced it on my hair since I was old enough to care for it myself.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm not sure he'd let me mess with him too much to do any big treatments or anything. But I can always try.

Curlsgirl
January 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sounds like what you are doing is working. Does it take too much time in the morning or something? Curly hair is always going to tangle somewhat so I just would keep doing what you are doing. I like coconut oil better but that part really doesn't matter. You could try adding a little before he goes to bed. I bet his hair is really pretty!

Oh sorry I just reread and saw that you tried oiling at night.

AutumnLeaves
January 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Short of putting a cap on his head while he is sleeping, I don't think there is too much you can do. The tangling is from rubbing his head back and forth while he sleeps and both my daughters had the same problem. Fortunately, a spritz of chldren's detangler and a brush (start at the bottom of the hair and work out snarls gently) should make it not too difficult to get through the snarls. Good luck!

Tabitha
January 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
People are having good results with the Tangle Teezer, both for themselves and for their children too.

More info on this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334

Anje
January 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I suppose you could get him satin sheets. That way, even if he loses the pillow, he'll still be on satin. Might be an expensive solution, though.

suicides_eve
January 20th, 2009, 05:16 PM
oh my daughter goes through this every morning. it's one spot in the back that turns into this HUGE rats nest. I've tried it all and has worked for me is sitting her down and puttins a conditioner water mix on it and combing it out with a hair pick. tiny braids help alot but makes her hair very kinky the next morning

ImperfectBrat
January 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
i second eves post.

My daughter's hair is very curly and damaged and after trying oiling/co/cwc/etc the best thing I have found is c/h20 mix. I let it soak for a couple of minutes and then use a wide tooth comb on it from bottom up.

It is a fight every time (at almost 8 years old) because it takes a long tme but its the best we have found so far.

Curlsgirl
January 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
That tangle tweezer has very good reviews! I had to buy one myself. I can't wait to get it!

sherigayle
January 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM
Thanks everyone. That Tangle Teezer is interesting. I guess I just have to be resigned to detangling him every day. If Ican keep him in those cute little curls it's worth it.