PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Milk Soak?

Patrycja
March 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I have looked and looked for the old article and can't seem to find it.Am I blind or is it really not here?

Anywho-if anyone knows how to do a coconut milk soak it would be greatly appreciated!

btw-I am a poo bar user,if that makes any difference....

Stagecoach
March 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Well, I was waiting for the boards to be back up before trying a coconut soak, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot tonight... I"ll back back with the results.

LilyMunster
March 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
When I did coconut soak, I used the low fat can from Trader Joes. I applied it to dry hair. And I used it as if I was doing a long CO. And I rinsed well with warmer water. Aquis wrap, then air dry. That's it. :)

mira-chan
March 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
As far as I know the site is still being worked on and the articles are in the archive which isn't up yet.

If I remember correctly to do a coconut milk soak you take low fat coconut milk and put it on wet hair. Let that soak in for a while then wash with cleanser of choice. If you have extra dry hair you can use it as conditioner. It will feel a little oily a the start then but with dry hair it absorbs it with in the day.

ETA: It can be put on from the ears down as you would conditioner or can be put all over on the scalp too, depends on the area you want to treat.

Patrycja
March 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I have said this about 3 times already since we were brought back up and I will say it again.wow.this is a whole lot to take in.

ok-back to the subject at point.So,soak coconut milk for about an hour(?)or so,rinse and the poo up with my bar?and condition like I normally do.

sound about right?

FrannyG
March 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I always thought it was the full fat coconut milk. That's what I always use. :o

CaraLynn
March 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I do it like an SMT, with some EO's added cause the smell of coconut makes me gag!

Patrycja
March 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
wait-now I'm full on confused.If I do a rinse before I use my poo bar,what good will the coconut milk have on my hair?Seems to me that the milk will just be washed out.

btw-I bought full fat goya milk from the grocery store.

mira-chan
March 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Full fat is more oily. If you plan to leave it in, go or the low fat. If you plan to wash it out with something stronger than herbs go for the full fat.

ETA: ilovemycop, you rinse the milk like you would other deep treatments. The proteins and oils woun't rinse out easily with water. Washing the hair after will remove the excess oil.

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Low fat? How comes? I thought the coconut oil in the milk was part of the motive for doing it.

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
ooops sorry, i didn't see lots of replies in the time it took for me to ask :P

FrannyG
March 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Low fat? How comes? I thought the coconut oil in the milk was part of the motive for doing it.

My thoughts exactly. I've always used full fat, and I'm very happy with it. I just have to be careful not to get it on the scalp or I look like an oilslick afterward. :p

Darian Moone
March 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I always thought it was the full fat coconut milk. That's what I always use. :o

Me too Frannyg. I used to use the lower fat version, but to me it just doesn't compare to the softness, fantastic scent from the full fat coconut milk. My hair is color treated though so maybe that's why I don't notice any oiliness. I find it super moisturizing.

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
My thoughts exactly. I've always used full fat, and I'm very happy with it. I just have to be careful not to get it on the scalp or I look like an oilslick afterward. :p

The weirdest thing though, my hair ADORES Coconut oil as you know, and as i constantly need to tell everyone.... ;) but it hated the coconut milk soak. I'm going to try again though and hopefully it will learn to love it.

Hairstorm
March 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Just as a heads-up, Thai Kitchen brand does not contain potassuim meta bisulphite, (some people are sensitive to this.)

Thai Kitchen coconut milk ingredients: Coconut Milk, Xanthan Gum, and Organic Soy Lecithin (natural emulsifiers)

On the other hand, Chaokoh brand does not contain any thickeners: coconut extract, water, citric acid (as antioxidant), sodium metabisulfite (as preservative)

Take your pick!

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
my coconut milk has coconut milk,water,potassium metabisulfite(as a preservative).I should correct my previous post that it was full fat.I have no idea.

Blueneko
March 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I use full fat coconut milk from Jungle Jim's.

1/2 can coconut milk
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp rosemary oil
1 tsp tea tree oil

I apply this to dry hair (hence the soak) and then double wrap in plastic for no less than an hour. S&C then ACV rinse. Voila.

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
hmI don't have rosemary EO but I'm going to try that recipe with Lavender EO instead.Thanks for your take on the Coconut Milk Soak Blueneko

Darian Moone
March 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I've used Thai Kitchen in the past, but recently I tried Whole Foods brand coconut milk and found the scent, texture, richness and results to be superior to any other brand I've tried (at least for my hair). In fact, I bought a can at the store today to do a soak in the next week or two. :D

Stephanie
March 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
When I originally started the thread, I was using full fat coconut milk (more fat for drier hair). I've moved on to using virgin coconut oil on damp hair because it's easier, but the results on my hair are slightly different than doing the soak. The soak leaves my hair with more moisture than the plain VCO.

Darian Moone
March 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
When I originally started the thread, I was using full fat coconut milk (more fat for drier hair). I've moved on to using virgin coconut oil on damp hair because it's easier, but the results on my hair are slightly different than doing the soak. The soak leaves my hair with more moisture than the plain VCO.

Stephanie, did you apply the coconut milk to dry or wet hair? I've clarified, removed excess moisture then did the CM soak. I forget your original directions. Do you think you could repost your original recipe??? :flowers:

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I ditto the original recipe request,stephanie I like to hear the variations everyones posting though :love:

Hairstorm
March 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I've used Thai Kitchen in the past, but recently I tried Whole Foods brand coconut milk and found the scent, texture, richness and results to be superior to any other brand I've tried (at least for my hair). In fact, I bought a can at the store today to do a soak in the next week or two. :D

That's great! Could you please share the ingredient list if it's convenient?

Darian Moone
March 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Hairstorm. :) The ingredients for the Whole Foods Organic Coconut Milk are: organic coconut, purified water, guar gum.

Hairstorm
March 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Hi Hairstorm. :) The ingredients for the Whole Foods Organic Coconut Milk are: organic coconut, purified water, guar gum.Thank you! It sounds really good!

Patrycja
March 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Hairstorm. :) The ingredients for the Whole Foods Organic Coconut Milk are: organic coconut, purified water, guar gum.

I am going to try the Goya brand since I already spent the money on it and I am really curious to see how its going to do.However,my next plan is to buy Whole Foods brand of coconut.Gives the reason to go buy some Avacado Oil too while I'm there :D

Lasiren
March 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I slap some full fat (hey, it's not like my head will absorb the calories) coconut milk into my hair (I do dry hair, I know some people do wet) and leave it on for half an hour at the least, sometimes all night if I can.

addikted
March 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I am really lucky, in my little corner of the world, all I need to do is go down to the shops and they crush a freash coconut for you. So I know my coconut milk has only COCONUT. He he he

Patrycja
March 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I am really lucky, in my little corner of the world, all I need to do is go down to the shops and they crush a freash coconut for you. So I know my coconut milk has only COCONUT. He he he

I couldn't use it for my hair.I'll drink it all :p

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Has anybody tried infusing herbs in coconut milk? I saw somewhere a suggestion to heat methi in it then let it cool, strain and use as a soak/scalp rub. I was thinking maybe other things might work too like amla or rosemary.

The other question, whenever i tried this it just dribbled everywhere, even with a shower cap on and a towel wrapped around it.....it found all the uprotected exit points and drove me mad! Does anyone know of a way to stop this?

Darian Moone
March 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I wish I knew of a way ChloeDharma! I love the results but I sure do make a mess when I do a soak.

Hairstorm
March 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Has anybody tried infusing herbs in coconut milk? I saw somewhere a suggestion to heat methi in it then let it cool, strain and use as a soak/scalp rub. I was thinking maybe other things might work too like amla or rosemary.That sounds like a good idea!

The other question, whenever i tried this it just dribbled everywhere, even with a shower cap on and a towel wrapped around it.....it found all the uprotected exit points and drove me mad! Does anyone know of a way to stop this?

What I used to do is put the length of hair in a plastic grocery sack (check to make sure there aren't holes--one way is by inflating the bag) and dump the milk in there and squish through. Don't put more milk than the hair can soak up. Tie the handles together at the nape and put a claw clip so it doesn't slide down. Then wrap in towel, or sit the bag in sweatshirt hood or whatever. The scalp hair doesn't get treated with this method, but it doesn't really need it. (A plastic bag from a loaf of bread works too.) When you wrap up the towel, make sure you always keep the opening of the bag oriented upwards and at the highest point, or the milk can drip out.

I don't think I mentioned this yet in this new thread, but I really got into the coconut and was even drinking it and cooking with it and applying it to my skin. I became allergic. Many cosmetics contain coconut derivatives, so I had to stop using shampoos, cleansers etc. This was about 2 years ago, and I only recently am starting to get desensitized a bit. So beware! :twocents:

starsaphire
March 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Coconut Milk Soak

I finally figured out how to make this really work for me. I’ve done it a few times and been pleased with the results, but had issues as well. This time I did it right, and I’m utterly amazed at the difference.

Here’s my procedure: (remember, I’m a 3b/3c curly, hennaing over the color damage at my ends)

1. I shampooed my hair with a clarifier (I never shampoo at all anymore unless I’m about to do a treatment).

2. I ran a hot bath while my hair was still wet, and emptied one full can of regular full-fat off-brand coconut milk (just coconut, water and xanthan gum I think) into a plastic bowl.

3. I got into the bath, super-re-rinsed my hair with the sprayer, and started working the coconut milk into my wet hair.

4. I worked the entire can into my hair, not worrying about drips, and then let the tub jets run while I soaked as long as I wanted to. I think I was in for nearly an hour!

5. I mermaid-soaked out most of the milk out, then rinsed off in a hot shower while the bath drained, working lots and lots of hot water thru my hair. (Wipe out the tub REALLY well after this, please!)

6. I combed out my hair, working in a few drops of lavender EO-scented jojoba oil as a scalp stimulator, and combed it into a semi-loose braid. My hair was so full of coconut oil it was stiff, but I worked a drop of castor oil into the tassel anyway. I slept in the braid and I’ll wash my pillowcase later.

7. I got up fifteen minutes early, took a long shower with hot water, and CO’ed twice—first working in the usual amount of conditioner, lathering it up, rinsing it out and then applying again as for a “normal” CO, doing my other shower stuff, then rinsing out well, doing an ACV rinse, and rinsing a final time with cooler water.

I realize that this is an involved process—not everyone has the time to take what essentially amounts to three showers and a bath in one 12-hour period—but the results were totally amazing. This morning as my hair dried, my curls were separate but not piece-y, my hair is amazingly soft and lustrous—really lustrous—with no greasy or oily feeling whatsoever, and my color has both brightness and depth. My hair is also not tangling nearly as much as usual—I can still fingercomb it without issues, even totally dry. It feels like spun silk and I can hardly keep my hands out of it.

I so wish I had the time to do this once a week or even once a month. I won’t even go into how wonderful my skin feels… or the compliments I got from DBF. :love: But the compliments I've gotten today on my hair are worth the prune-fingers from last night. :D

- starsaphire

khyricat
March 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
ok- I've seen this a LOT, what exactly does a coconut soak do for hair... I can't see it..

on the other hand- fresh coco leche.. YUM! mom used to get this for us, and I LOVED it.. haven't had it since I was a teenager visiting the tropics really.. the 2 times I bought coconuts here in MI they were tiny and it just wasn't the same.. though the meat tasted good, its that liquid in the center that is my favorite part and coconut milk without it isn't the same

Patrycja
March 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm going to give it a go tomorrow finally . with everyones' way of doing it,I figure I can get something outta it.I just hope my hair takes to protein like it has before. :pray:

ElizaSea
March 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
So, I tried this the night before last. Oh. My. God. My hair is so gross. It's really oily and stringy and just gross. I've washed my hair TWICE with baking soda, done ACV rinces, and COed, and it still won't get out of my hair. Help!!

starsaphire
March 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Oh Eliza, I'm so sorry you're having trouble!

How long do you let your hair sit in the showercap when you CO, and what condish are you using? That might make a difference. I have to CO mine twice to get the coconut oil out, but it works beautifully after the second time.

- starsaphire

ElizaSea
March 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I let it sit about 5-10 minutes. I sat in the sun for a long time at a baseball game for work today, so maybe that helped? It doesn't feel as greasy as it did this morning!

TheHowlingWolf
June 14th, 2013, 03:39 PM
So sorry for reviving an old thread. I googled it and searched on LHC and this was the only one to come up, so I don't know if there is a more recent one. Anyway! The reason I'm reviving is because I have a question and didn't want to start a new thread. I've recently started coconut milk soaks and I think my hair likes them...however, when I'm applying the coconut milk to my hair, my hair clumps together a lot, almost like dreadlocks! And for some strange reason, the ends get all tangled together and it feels gross. Does this happens to everyone's hair when applying coconut milk? Could it be damaging? After I rinse it out & s/c, my hair is fine. I just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong or not. I've even tried applying oil to the ends to try to prevent so much clumping/tangling but that didn't work.

Wildcat Diva
June 14th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Ok, I'll be your guinea pig. I've done these before, but not lately. I've got a can in the cabinet. I might do a two parter DT this weekend, half the can tonight, and half the can tomorrow night. I'm planning on going swimming (salt water) tomorrow in the middle of it (the two treatments), so that might skew the results though.

I don't really think there's a "wrong" way to do it. I'm gonna cover it with plastic cap and use my heating cap when I do it though.

TheHowlingWolf
June 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Okay, thank you! I've never really did a deep treatment that made my hair clump together and tangle so much while I was applying it. I'm afraid that it might somehow be damaging to it!

Wildcat Diva
June 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Maybe it's the protein in it?

TheHowlingWolf
June 14th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hmm, Idk...maybe. I never really thought of myself as being protein sensitive. In fact I was thinking about doing a protein treatment soon because my hair has been feeling fragile lately (I didn't know coconut milk had protein in it). Idk it's weird because I like the way coconut milk makes my hair feel but I hate applying it.

Wildcat Diva
June 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM
All right. I did it. This evening. Put half a can onto dry hair, it was so creamy! Plastered my APL length hair onto the top of my head. Then added plastic cap then my satin sleep cap, then a bandana. Went to exercise, walked 30 minutes on treadmill. Washed it out, added conditioner to ends, shampoo bar to scalp, lathered. Repeated this step. Rinse rinse rinse, cold rinse. Four drops mineral oil leave in on wet hair. I will finger comb tomorrow. No big tangle problems, but then I'm not combing through it yet. It's still wet but the parts that are drying feel really soft.

TheHowlingWolf
June 14th, 2013, 10:47 PM
But as you were applying it, your hair didn't clump together or anything?

Wildcat Diva
June 14th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yes it was one big mashed up wad. I didn't comb through it or anything. I didn't try to seperate it until I was in the shower rinsing it off and that went like business as usual. My hair dried soft and silky.

Wildcat Diva
June 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
https://imageshack.com/a/img542/3011/i4jd.jpg
Here's my result the next day. I just misted it with some rosewater and added just a small smear of NB panacea, then scrunched a little. I have fingercombed a little. Tangles are about normal. I'm not noticing any drama one way or the other.

As far as the application, I just mashed more and more into my dry hair hair, I didn't try to separate it so I didn't notice any clumping. I didn't have any problems rinsing it out, but I was adding conditioner to the ends at least twice to help me with detangling (with fingers, only slightly) under the shower stream.

I'll probably do this again, as I need as much moisture I can get, and my hair doesn't mind protein. I may try this ingredient instead of the conditioner in a SMT.

TheHowlingWolf
June 15th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Oh your hair looks nice! & Okay...I think I'm just being paranoid about my hair then.

lilliemer
June 16th, 2013, 01:16 PM
This has happened to me with full fat coconut milk. If I use lite coconut milk instead I don't notice as much clumpiness. The full fat stuff also leaves much more coconut oil in the hair than the lite, which I don't like. I usually put the lite coconut milk in a quart sized plastic container and dip the ends in, then I water the rest down and pour over my head. I just leave in for the length of the shower then shampoo it out at the end and rinse, I have never done a prolonged soak. It is nice and cool in the summer and smells nice.

Wildcat Diva
June 16th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Oops, just used the rest of the can in my coffee. No more DT for me this weekend.

Tia2010
June 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
My hair has been feeling and looking very dry all of the sudden! I'm sure the hot and crazy weather has a lot to do with it (along with needing a trim) but it seemed to happen so fast. One week fine the next DRY! :mad: .. so I thought maybe a deep treatment was in order.

I haven't done a real deep treatment in a long while, so as I was searching, this thread came up :) So I'm trying coconut milk soak right now.

I just used Goya full fat CM, dumped the whole can through the length and squeezed it through, and put a shower cap on. I'll let it soak a few hours and let you know how it goes.

AlexDig
November 7th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that I've been using coconut milk in a couple of my treatments abd I absolutely love it! I mixed my last henna treatment with coconut milk, water, and aloe vera juice and the results were AMAZING. So shiny, very bouncy, and no frizz. I also started adding it to my egg washes and it has helped keep my hair moisturized without weighing it down (I have very fine hair so it happens easily).

I'm gonna keeping trying it out with other goodies...very exciting!

divinedobbie
February 8th, 2015, 11:33 AM
My hair's been breaking off lately and I've been wondering if it's because I relocated to a place with a very dry climate plus I've done a protein treatment. Maybe I need moisture? Trying this out as I type :).

MoonlitWitch
February 8th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Ok definitely going to have to try this next week! Heading to while foods to stock up. I love everything coconut and use coconut oil for everything so I have to try this!

jaquelines
February 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I guess I use the "fat" version of the milk, only coconut and water, no additives. Sometimes it doesn´t go straight away from just CO, but when it does, it´s very soft and shiny. I pour it over my head in the baththub and let it sit about 30 min.

Lavendersugar
February 12th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Coconut milk is my favorite hair treatment. Must be canned full fat to see all the benefits. As in not the carton stuff you drink or could use with cereal.

Sometimes I wash then put the coconut milk on my hair. Let sit 30 mins to an hour. I rise out and follow with conditioner.
If I am being lazy I will mix conditioner with the coconut milk.

I can usually get 2 uses out of 1 can for now. I redo the treatment within 7 days. Find I only need to it once every 2 months but as my hair gets longer I think once a month might be better. Will have to see how it goes.

I personally do not like protein treatments for my hair. I find they cause breakage and dryness. Even when I had badly damaged hair. The only one that did work was Redken CAT but that was when I was not using bleach just dye.

-Fern
August 29th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I want to start singing... My hair has never been this soft before!! :joy: :happydance:

I used full-fat coconut milk, so it is a little oily, but less so than when I used to do a pre-poo coconut oil treatment. I think one wash would suffice to get out the extra oil. But I can't stop petting it long enough to wash it again... :crush:

DollyDagger
August 29th, 2015, 08:26 PM
I want to start singing... My hair has never been this soft before!! :joy: :happydance:

I used full-fat coconut milk, so it is a little oily, but less so than when I used to do a pre-poo coconut oil treatment. I think one wash would suffice to get out the extra oil. But I can't stop petting it long enough to wash it again... :crush:

oh nice :) glad it worked out well for you.
I must try coocnut milk alone..last time i tried a combo of coconut milk, banana, touch of coconut oil, and honey and i didnt liek the result at all...maybe it was the oil. but no more banana next time.. ill just eat the banana. :hollie:

Hairkay
August 30th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I use coconut milk in my henna glosses and I occasionally do a coconut milk conditioning treatment. I use a fresh coconut to make the milk to do so. I dislike the tinned stuff and don't want any additives to my coconut milk. For the henna gloss I'd used either a fresh coconut or dilute some of a concentrated coconut block with hot water, then strain, ,cool a bit then add to henna.

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Sounds awesome! :D How do you use it, -Fern? As a pre-poo on dry hair? As a conditioner? Do you mix it with anything? :)

I use coconut milk in my henna glosses and I occasionally do a coconut milk conditioning treatment. I use a fresh coconut to make the milk to do so. I dislike the tinned stuff and don't want any additives to my coconut milk. For the henna gloss I'd used either a fresh coconut or dilute some of a concentrated coconut block with hot water, then strain, ,cool a bit then add to henna.

Yay! So great that you can make it from a fresh coconut, Hairkay! :applause

-Fern
August 30th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I was just doing a practice run for a coconut milk-based henna gloss and making sure my hair wouldn't disagree with the coconut milk. So I applied it to sectioned damp hair, smoothing it down to the ends and trying to ensure even coverage. Then I bunned up and wrapped my hair in plastic and let it sit for about an hour. I didn't have any trouble with dripping. Coconut milk is quite thin and easy to apply as is... but it might actually benefit by being mixed 50/50 with conditioner for a deep treatment just to thicken it up and make it easier to apply.

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 02:51 PM
^ Thanks a lot, -Fern! :flowers: Sounds really great! :D
I'll be doing something like that when my hair feels very dry - it should be great as a deep moisture treatment!

DollyDagger
September 1st, 2015, 06:56 PM
I was just doing a practice run for a coconut milk-based henna gloss and making sure my hair wouldn't disagree with the coconut milk. So I applied it to sectioned damp hair, smoothing it down to the ends and trying to ensure even coverage. Then I bunned up and wrapped my hair in plastic and let it sit for about an hour. I didn't have any trouble with dripping. Coconut milk is quite thin and easy to apply as is... but it might actually benefit by being mixed 50/50 with conditioner for a deep treatment just to thicken it up and make it easier to apply.

I saw a girl on you tube thicken the coconut milk by heating it while stirring. I can't remember how long. She then put it in the fridge and the next day it had thickened up considerably.
ETA: as long as heating doesn't denigrate any beneficial properties..!!

maborosi
September 2nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Is it okay to heat up the milk? Additionally, I've wanted to make a mask with it and honey and AVG, since both of those ingredients do well with my hair :)

ETA- My cat goes insane when I open a can of coconut milk up. He follows me all over and tries to check out what I've got in my hair, lol

Lavendersugar
November 18th, 2015, 03:40 PM
No sure about heating. My guess would be maybe just light heat couldn't be all that bad.

I do canned coconut milk treatments at least once a month. I would do it more but I am lazy with hair treatments. The milk makes my hair soft and shinny.
Typically clarify and apply the milk to damp hair. Timing varies but anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. I aim for at least an hour. To contain dripping I put a plastic bag over my hair and a towel.

This is great to use either henna. I mix it on with henna and use it on my ends when hennaing the roots.