PDA

View Full Version : Water Only and short hair

Natural
January 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Though I've just ordered more shampoo bars, I am contemplating trying WO. I briefly flirted with no-poo, but ended up just minimizing my washes to twice a week for maybe a month. Between washes I rinsed with warm water daily, which may have been too frequent, but I found that my hair, though slightly greasy-seeming by wash-day, was not terribly so, probably because I had already started going every other day and was using shampoo bars. At the time, my hair was about 4.5-5" long, and I realized that the transition might be more difficult with shorter hair since there is effectively no place to adequately spread the sebum.

As I consider trying this again, I wonder what the best day-to-day treatment of short hair might be to make the transition more smooth and less ucky (though that might not be entirely possible). At present, my longest hair, on top, is 3.5", and I do not use styling products of any kind (I've always hated them). Two possibilities come to mind.
Having short hair and moving to WO will be a more difficult transition, (not enough hair length to spread the sebum) but a hat can be worn should an O/O period occur.
Having short hair will be an easier transition in the long run.I went back to washing daily, but the last week or so I've switched to every other day. If I start this now, or maybe after a month of stretching my washes out, is a daily WO rinse recommended, or might it be better not to rinse between wash-days? Do WO rinses actually make the hair seem more oily?

Thoughts/comments/experience is much appreciated.

WritingPrincess
January 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
My dad buzzed his hair in order to go WO, as that lessened the problem of "greasy hair". I seem to think that's shorter than you had in mind, however.

suicides_eve
January 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
i did WO when i had my pixie about the length of yours, it took me about 3 weeks for my hair to get it's self under control with the itching an greasiness. I wore a cap or bandanna and kept it back as much as i could. I ended up going back to a diluted wash about 2 x a month b/c the grease flatten my curls and made them waves.

my dbf is WO and his hair is about 5 In. He has been doing this long before i ever met him. his hair is not greases looking nor dose he 'smell' like some ppl tend to think. in fact he has both men and women asking what his secret is on the shine he has.