PDA

View Full Version : Side Parters

Pixna
January 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
If you part your hair on the side:

1. Which side?
2. What is your reason for a side part?
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side?
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not?
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you?
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side?
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair?
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair?

Tell us more about your side part -- anything you want to share!

Elphie
January 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Sometimes I have a center part, sometimes I have no part at all but when I choose to do a side part it is always on the left side, never the right.

I choose that side for two reasons: it works with a cowlick that is part of my hairline (instead of going against it) and my hair is slightly thicker on the left side of my head so sharing a little on the right balances things a bit.

I switch things around because I like the variety.

When I trim, I use a center part to make certain that things are even. I don't find that the side that winds up with additional hair to be noticeably shorter than the other side. More like a layered effect.

I've always parted my hair on that side, hairdressers realize it works better almost instantly if they try parting my hair on the opposite side. The exact location is forced by my cowlick.

editing to add: I'm right handed, but I don't think it matters.

Copasetic
January 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM

1. Which side?
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you?

1. the left side
2. I think I look strange with a part down the middle. I think centre parts are best suited to people with REALLY symmetrical faces.
3. I am right handed, so it is easier to fix my hair when it is parted on the left.
4. Yes, I do. Its a habit now.
5. I trim my hair with it parted down the centre.
6. No, I never used to part down the centre, and then I decided to copy someone in high school who always parted her hair to the side.
7. I just go with what I think looks best. I don't like it to be too far to the left. I usually part it about my eye.

Carolyn
January 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
My hair seems to want to part slightly to the right of center. I just let it be that way. I never "make" a part. If my hair parts, it parts. It's never straight. My mom was a stickler for a straight part and it drove me insane. She was always reparting my hair. I mean what kid cares how her hair is parted? Most of the time my hair is up in a bun, so there might be a very short part. I've been experimenting with some side face framing bits combed out of buns. That has made me pay a bit more attention to the actual part. I'm not much help am I? :silly:

spidermom
January 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I don't like the look of a straight slash of scalp, so I don't part my hair. I push it into place with my fingers from just above the temple area on one side or the other when it's down. In fact, I'll change sides several times per day because after awhile it looks flat on top. If I push it over from the other side, it gives a bit of lift at the top. When it's up, and my hair usually is put up, it's pretty much pulled straight back.

Isilya
January 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM
1. Which side? Left side of my head.
2. What is your reason for a side part? It looks better on me than a part down the middle.
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? My hair tends to part on that side, I just make the part straighter.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? Yes, it's a habit. I usually only part my hair when it's down. I only make exceptions for updos that require a deep part.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? My stylist parts my hair down the centre. I have a slightly U-shaped hemline, so the difference in length isn't all that obvious and it doesn't bother me.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? Yes, except when I had twin braids/ponytails as a child, then I had a centre part.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? I use the highest point of my eyebrow as a reference, but after years of parting, I can do it with my eyes closed.

ETA: 8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? I'm right-handed, but I have no idea if that affects anything.

Teakafrog
January 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
My hair just naturally parts on the right side--I have sort of a cowlick there. I usually don't make a straight part there, it just kind of falls that way, so I leave it. I'm lazy that way. :p

Silverlox
January 20th, 2009, 01:20 PM

1. Which side?
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair?

1. Left side.

2. Cow lick. If you can't beat it, join it.

3. Cow lick. See above.

4. See 2 and 3 for the short answer.
Here's the long one: Yes, almost always. But not always with a clear, straight, comb-made parting. Hair just parts there on its own. And a side parting works better with updos, as I can fluff it up a bit, it makes a little wave action, whereas a centre part will make my hair all flat on top.

5. Yes, I make a centre part before trimming because I want my hair to be evenly cut. Although I rarely wear it so, I still want to be able to have the *option* of a centre parting or any other parting or no parting at all, without the hair ending up with one longer "fringe" hanging down on one side.

6. Yes, almost always. Tried doing the centre part thing, but it takes work, because then I'm working against my hair which will be a bit puffy on one side of the centre parting and completely flat on the other. Looks really stupid!

7. *I* don't determine. The cow lick does that for me. It parts itself. If I want a straight-line parting, I'll help by evening up the parting. Mostly it just gets to fall the way it wants because I'm lazy.

8. Right handed, but that has no bearing, I think, unless it's connected to the cow lick in some way.

Wow! I'd never have thought it was possible to get the words "cow lick" into one single post so many times! :silly:

granitbaby
January 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
1. Which side?
Right side
I don't look good with a centre part. My face is not symmetrical and a centre part just accentuates that.
My part is naturally a little to the right side.
I don't have to think so much about it, it parts itself ;)
I try to trim it with a part, but the difference isn't so noticeable if I woulden't.
In my early teens I tried to do the centre part.
As I answered earlier, hair kind of parts itself on the same place always.
I'm a little bit of both, mostly right-handed, but I don't think it affects my part.

jojo
January 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
1. Which side? just off centre to the left
2. What is your reason for a side part? Its my natural part,
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? I have a slight cowlick on the right hand side so it wouldnt go there
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? only if my hair is down, i just comb it straight back when its up.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? when i trimmed, i use my natural part (see Q 1)

I am right handed.

Siggav
January 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
1. Which side?
The left side, always.

I just think I look better that way. A center part works too, but the side part just feels better.

Habit I guess, I've got a mini cow lick that works in that direction but it's not strong and it's easy for me to have a center part as well, actually Anyway, yeah it just feels right to have it on the left side

I try to but it varies a little bit, I don't always remember exactly where I parted it last time.

It's always trimmed with a center part. I figured that with a side part, having a bit of a layered effect works just fine with the part. However if I switch to a center part it'd look really odd with uneven lengths. You have some asymmetry already with a side part so the slightly uneven layered length works with it pretty well.

No I've also had a center part for a few years. I don't think I've ever parted it on the right side though.

I just go by feel.

I'm left handed and I hadn't thought at all about if that affects the hair parting. Probably not, I don't know though. Maybe.

NeilTheFuzz
January 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM

1. Which side?

1. Left hand side
2. Makes a change from centre parting
3. I am right handed, so I suppose it's easier.
4. No because I like to change between styles.
5. I trim my hair with a center part. My hair is messy by default anyway so the two sides being uneven doesn't bother me at all.
6. No I havn't always parted my hair at the side, but when I do it's always on the left side.
7. Funnily enough, my hair has a sort of fold just to the side, where the receed corner is. It flips over nicely.
8. Answer above :D

Raven69
January 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I part my hair three ways and it always varies as to when/how often. It all depends on if I have the time/patience. If in a hurry it will be combed back straight and in a messy bun due to no time/not wanting to comb it out. I used to have a middle part on days nothing was going on at work and on the right or left side when I had to stand duty or a watch. I find that my appearance is more attractive when I part it using the side part. I usually rely on the top arch of my left eye brow (which is the highest point and middle of my brow) to part the left side and vise versa for the right side part. I think I tend to lean more towards parting on my right side, as it is more appealing. I never have trimmed my own hair - however I have had stylists trim my hair with a down the middle part. When I use a side part I never notice the length issue due to my hair being dark and that when it is in a side part - it is in a tight bun. Though, because of my weird two/three crown thingy going on, stylists find it harder to trim and style my hair. And I have several short hairs all over the place, especially at the middle/top of my head/forehead so doing side parts is hard and even more of a pain because of all of the fly aways. I am right handed, but never let that affect my every day-to-day going ons. When I was skinnier, I had more of an oval shaped face and parting either way looked good. Now I have more of a round shape so parting on the side gives me more of a sharper look.

squiggyflop
January 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
1. Which side? my right side
2. What is your reason for a side part? i didnt choose.. it just goes like that no matter where i place my part an hour later its on my right side.. my hair wont part in the center because my widows peak wont part
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? like i said it goes there by itself ever since i was little
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? um i do part it in the same place or should i say it parts itself in the same place
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? um when i trim i brush the hair straight back so no part.. my hair is wavy so unevenness isnt as noticeable..
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? yes ever since i had hair when i was like 3
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? it does it by itself
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? um im right handed i have no idea if it affects the part

peachrose
January 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
My part is on my left side. For some reason my hair just naturally falls in that direction and is actaully uncomfortable to have it any other way. It also covers part of my forehead that I am not fond of.. In the past I have tried other parts but my hair never lays right and is not as flattering as my "natural" part.

dorothea-brooke
January 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
1. Which side?
The right side.

I think it looks more modern, and is more flattering for my face.

It's been done on that side since I was a child!

At this point, it parts itself. Even after washing, when I take the towel off the part is already there in the exact same spot.

Yes; I've never noticed the length difference, probably because I'm growing out bangs that are nearly SL now.

Yes and yes.

See above -- it tells me! :)

Right-handed; and I don't think so....

wintersun99
January 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM

MsBubbles
January 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
1. Which side? Left
2. What is your reason for a side part? Middle part with no bangs accentuate my frown-mark :)
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? Sticky-out ear on the right side - need more hair to cover it.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? Close enough, not bothered.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? Yes, I try to get it even on both sides with a middle part.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? No. If/when I have bangs, I part it down the middle.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? I part it wherever it seems like it needs to go that day.
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Right handed. Doesn't matter.

Tell us more about your side part -- anything you want to share! It's really all about the sticky-out ear on the right side, for me. [/quote]

pariate
January 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I try to remember to part on the right, but it usually ends up on the left! I have a double crown on the left side and if I part there the double crown shows up... and it looks like the beginning of a bald spot! :p

I think the side parting suits my face and my hair far more than a middle part does.

I think my part is usually in the same place. It sits well at that point.

When I trim, I do so with a centre part. I don't mind the way that affects my side parting, I think having wurly hair tends to reduce worry about hair symmetry! :lol:

I used to centre part when I was blowdrying my hair straight. When I was a toddler I had a sleek little bob (my wurls didn't appear until my hair got longer) and my mum gave that a centre part.

There's no real science to finding my part. It doesn't matter quite so much as a centre part would!

I'm right-handed, but that doesn't have any bearing on where I part my hair.

leilamarie79
January 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM
1. Which side? Left side
2. What is your reason for a side part? I have a biggish nose, and a center part just makes it look bigger
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? It's just the side my mom always parted it on when I was a kid, and I never saw a reason to change.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? I always part my hair in the same place. Habit, mostly
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I have my hair trimmed with it parted down the center. I want the option to wear my hair without a part without one side being longer than the other.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? I have always parted my hair on the side and on the same side since I was a kid, unless I was wearing pigtails as a little girl.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? I eyeball it
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? I am right handed, and I guess it's easier for me to part on the left side.

Rohele
January 20th, 2009, 04:40 PM

1. Which side?

1. Left side
2. I thought it looked better
3. My right ear has a slightly pointed top, and it used to bug me a lot when i was younger, so I felt better with more hair covering it
4. More or less. I part it where it feels natural to part it.
5. I've never trimmed it myself. My hair stylist parts it in the middle when she trims. I still have layers, so I don't notice a difference in length.
6. I used to part my hair in the middle when I was a child, but since I started side parting, its always been on the left.
7. i comb it backwards and it flops open at the right spot.
8. I'm right handed, but that doesn't affect anything.

MemSahib
January 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM

1. Which side?

1. Slanted from the right toward the center.
2. I look better this way.
3. To cover a mole near the hairline on the left.
4. Mainly. Sometimes I center-part, but not often.
5. Yes, I center part before trimming. I find I like the hair evenly trimmed and since it is usually up, it makes no difference visually.
6. No, it has sometimes been on the other side in the past.
7. Well, I think the part may move around slightly so there is no "determing exactly where to part it", LOL.
8. Right handed, but I don't think that matters since I used to part the other side.

Cheery
January 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
1. Which side? My right side.
2. What is your reason for a side part? Mostly because it looks more interesting than a part down the middle. Also my hair "wants" to part this way.
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? The hair at the very top of my forehead is really short (it won't grow longer) and it naturally parts at that spot. It refuses to part anywhere else.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? Yep, it doesn't work anywhere else and it's easier to just leave it as it is.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I leave it parted on the side when I trim.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? Nope, I only started doing it the last few years.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? My hair calls the shots.
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? I'm right handed but that has nothing whatsoever to do with where I part my hair.

Cai
January 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
1. Which side?
Usually on the right side.
A part in the middle somehow does not suit me.
I'm not sure, but if I stroke back my hair, I use my left hand, then it's automatically on the right side.
Not exactly. Most of the time I wear my hair in updos, then it's all stroked back, no part. But if they're open, I put them out of my face with my hand all the time, then it may be a bit closer or further from the middle.
Yes, I trim with my hair parted at the centre, but I dont really notice the difference in length, when wearing the part different later on.
I don't really remember.... sorry.
I just don't.
I'm right handed (compare to question No. 3) but use my left hand for parting.

may1em
January 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM

1. Which side? Left.
2. What is your reason for a side part? I have a more prominent than I'd like to draw even more attention to nose.
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? It feels weird if I part on the right.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? No. I like mixing it up. I also don't even do a defined part on wash day when it's at its most wurly.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? Yes. No. N/A.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? No. I used to part in the center. My mom said she thought it looked better on the side. One day I decided to believe her.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? I use either the inner edge of my left eyebrow or my left pupil as a starting point, depending on whether I want a deeper or shallower part.
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? I'm a righty. No.

Gingevere
January 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I usually just go with my natural center part, but when I do part my hair on the side it's always to the right. I do this because I actually have significantly more hair on the right side of my head than the left. I'm not kidding- it's genetic! Parting my hair slightly right-of-center evens it out a bit. Generally, I stick with a pretty shallow side-part. I'm have some chin-length layers around my face that are growing out, so a deep one doesn't work very well.

Side-parts can be really funky, too! I use a rat tail comb to create a wavy or zig-zag line. I try to avoid a stick-straight part- a little too "strict schoolteacher" for my style.

Paliele
January 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I don't part on the side now that I'm growing my hair out from a pixie cut, but I had shoulder length hair for years and I did part it on the side.

1. Which side? I switch it up, but only after a long time. I'll part mainly on one side for a few months, then switch and part mainly on the other side for a few months.
2. What is your reason for a side part? Constant comments from my mother, mostly in the line of "Why don't you part your hair on the side? It makes you look so much more soft and feminine." I resisted for years, but eventually succumbed.
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? It's arbitrary.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? I have a scar on the right side of my scalp from running into my grandma's counter as a child. When I part my hair on the right, I always line it up with the scar. On my left I part it approximately the same distance from the center, but it varies.
5. If you trim...? I don't.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? This question is pretty much covered by my previous answers, but I'll add a little more. I liked parting my hair in the center because it was very symmetrical and even, but I've come to like the way my face looks better with side-parted hair. Center-parted hair makes my chin look rather more square than I'd like.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? Covered by #4. Scar on right, same distance on left.
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Right handed, but working on becoming ambidextrous. I don't see that it makes a difference.

Tornerose
January 20th, 2009, 10:37 PM
1. Which side?
The left

BIG forehead, according to all stylists sideswept bangs will cut it in half

My eyebrow on that side is easier to style (yes I'm that vai)

I try to, and it has to do with the lenght issue. Though I've been thinking aout closng into the centre just a tiny bit lately, because I'm starting to think it's alittle too far to the left.

No, I comb in my sidepart and then cut it accordingy so the ends will appear even

No i used to have a centrepart with bangs, and then just bangs and let it fall naturally (it alwas fell on the centre), and then I found the iternet and how a sidepart would work better with big foreheads, so I parted it. At first I parted it on the right, but after a while I realised that it wa easier to style my left eyebrow than my right, so I shifted the part. And cut the ends accordingly.

A line from the peek of my eyebrow.. also the bangs are a giveaway theese days

Right-handed, but I don't think that matters. Like I've said, my left eyebrow is prettier.

Deborah
January 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
I don't part my hair at all, but if left down and loose, it ALWAYS parts itself on the left, in a nice straight line. It looks as though I carefully parted it, but I really have nothing to do with it. I like it better brushed back, with no part. :shrug:

Niphredil
January 21st, 2009, 02:30 AM
1. Which side? - On the right.
2. What is your reason for a side part? - I have a long faceshape and high forehead. A center part only accentuates both which I don't like.
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? - Not sure, I do run my left hand through my hair more often than my right, plus it has become a habit to part on the right by now.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? - I do roughly, but not exactly. I part from the highest point of my brow toward the crown area. It looks better that way than a deep sidepart, and it also has become a habit.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? - I don't part on the side while trimming, as I also wear my hair pulled back with only the shorter frontpieces being parted. When down, the wavy/curly structure of my hair hides the small length difference. But as I have major layers atm, it is not an issue now.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? - I used to wear a centerpart, as most kids do and kept doing that until about 3 years ago. It has always been on the same side since though.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? - See also question 4, I use the highest point of my brow as a guideline.
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? - I am a bit ambivalent when it come to using one hand or the other. I write with my right, but I can use both hands to put hairtoys in my hair depending on the style. I don't think that it affects the side I part on.

HTH

tiny_teesha
January 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM
1. Which side?
my right usually
Natural part! My fringe is a cow lick too, so i have to part the way it naturally sits
written above
Usually, but i try to go for middle, zig zag and the far opposite side ( if it isn't far enough it just flips over on it's own!) so i don't go baldy there, but I'm already a bit late on that!
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the centre during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you?
i part in the middle.
usually in the past.
natural notch in my widows peaky thing...it's balding...some micanizole will soon take care of that i hope!
right handed...no...haha

puredoxyk
January 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I've parted my hair on the right side for most of my life; I have a cowlick in the front that gives a pretty natural part there. When I have gotten it cut or trimmed, I leave the part where it is, since that's where I *always* wear it. Sometimes when my hair is being flat or frizzy, I've found that moving the part about 1/2" farther to the side helps it lay nice, too. Strange but true. ;)

rhubarbarin
January 21st, 2009, 07:43 AM
1. Which side? Left.
2. What is your reason for a side part? I look 100x better with one! I really like the look of them in general, and love classic movie star hair which was almost always side-parted.
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? I like the left side of my face a little better.. plus I've been doing it there for so long it's natural, and it's a pain to try to change it over.
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? No, it's always on the left side, but not the exact same place. It mostly decides for itself where it will go on any given day.
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? No, I cut my hair with it parted left. I like to be able to see exactly how it will look the way it always is if that makes sense.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? When my mom did my hair she either brushed it back or side-parted. When I started doing my own I middle-parted until I realized it wasn't very flattering (long, narrow face and big hair).
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? When I climb out of the shower it's usually decided for itself and I just neaten it a little.
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Right-handed, and I don't think so.

Debra83
January 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
1. Which side? right side
2. What is your reason for a side part? natural
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? natural
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? sometimes comb it back; sometimes part in middle for variety
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I trim but don't part to trim.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? yes if I have a side part.
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? It doesn't fight me
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair?I'm right-handed, and so is my part

maunaloa
January 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM

1. I part my hair on my left side.
2. I have a cowlick on the right side.
3. See above.
4. Not always - sometimes I like to switch it up.
5. My hairdresser parts my hair the way I usually wear it. Other hairdressers have always parted my hair in the middle.
6. I think I have always parted it on the left side because of annoying cowlick.
7. I run my figures through my hair and it usually falls in a certain way.
8. I am a righty and it doesn't have anything to do with my part.
:poot:

XeniaR
January 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
1. Which side?

Usually the right side.
I don't side part all the time but I do it because it gives my hair a little more height, and I think it looks nice.

I read somewhere that human hair naturally leans that way and that it causes less stress on the hair. Also, most other people part on the left (like on TV) and I like to be different.

I don't always part it in the same place, sometimes my hair wants to be parted differently, sometimes my colic (spelling?) that I have is worse and I have to part my hair so to control that. Sometimes my hair will come completely out of a part and I have to try to find a part that will stay.

I always part it in the middle when going for a trim. If I don't, they beautician parts it in the center.

Having hair of different lengths is not something I would want permanently (as in cut that way), but I like the different lengths I get with a side part, or with how I do my hair. The different lengths, kind of shows off my hair, IMO, and makes it look nice.

No, I used to part my hair on the left side all the time. I had a short hair cut once cut specifically for a left side part. (And I don't know why.)

I just part it where I am in the mood or think it will look good. But sometimes, as I said above, I have to deal with my colic acting up, or sometimes my hair falls out of a part on its own and I have to pick a different spot. (I have fine hair that is slippery.)

I am left handed and I never thought about it but maybe that is why I used to always part on the left. Maybe not. I am not sure. But I am like many lefty's very ambidextrous.

JamieLeigh
January 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
1. Which side? Usually the left side

2. What is your reason for a side part? I like the way a side part looks with certain updos...plus I have a tiny bit of recede at my hairline, on each side. :o

3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? I'm right-handed, and for some reason, it's easier to part it on the left and bring it over to the right. I've heard it being exactly the opposite for other right-handed people, LOL.

4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? No...some styles look nice with an extreme side-of-the-face part, and others look better with just off-center. :)

5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I part in the center to trim, since that's the way I most often wear it...and most often when it's parted on the side, it's in an updo, so the problem has never come up for me! :D

6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? I actually part in the middle most days, but yes, I've always parted on the same side.

I let whatever hairstyle I'm interested in wearing dictate how far the part should be from center. :)

8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? LOL, oops. :p Yes, I'm right-handed and it does affect the side I part on.

Radulfr
January 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
1. Which side? Left side
2. What is your reason for a side part? natural
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? see 8
Yes. No particular reason.
5. If you trim ...? I don’t trim.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? For a while I parted it in the center, years ago.
It tends to naturally fall where I part it.
Left-handed. Yes.

sweetbluesky
January 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
I part my hair on my right side. I have a tiny patch where my scalp shows, like a small bald spot, which I recieved from my mom. I use this as a place to part my bangs or all of my hair. Sometimes when I want to contain my bangs, I part on the opposite side. I can't do a center part because it looks severe and I have a widow's peak. With my heart-shaped face, a side part softens my jaw line. :eyebrows:

DanielleRenae
January 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM

1. Which side?

1. Left Side
2. My face is slightly asymmetrical and makes me self-conscious. I hide the right side of my face (eye, eyebrow, jaw) under this hair.
3. I choose to hide the right side because my left side just looks better.
4. I always part my hair this way because I always want to hide that side of my face.
5. When I get my hair trimmed, I part it in the middle so that if I choose to wear it parted down the middle, it will fall evenly like it should.
6. I never parted my hair to the side until I got bangs because long bangs parted down the middle just don't look good on me. I've always parted it on the left.
7. I part my hair 1/3 of the way between my natural center part and my ear.
8. I'm right handed so it makes it easier for me to reach over to the left and pull hair to the right.

MunchkinBubble
January 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
I'm a slightly off-center parter (probably an inch or two). And the only reason is because of my cowlick. It doesn't give me any other choice.
When I trim I leave my hair parted where it naturally lies.
Come to think of it - I'm right handed, and my hair naturally parts to the right. Coincidence?....

I've noticed some hair loss along my part recently though (probably from years and years of the same roots exposed to the elements), so I'm trying to retrain it to part the other direction just off-center. We'll see if it works.

Zindell
January 23rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
1. Which side?
Slightly to the left. (So more hair falls down over my right eye)

I think I get a softer and nicer look when I part on the left side.

See above. (If I part on the right side I look like a moron. Weird!)

Mostly. Sometimes I part it in the middle instead.

5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around?
Yes.

If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you?
No and no.

Yah.

It parts naturally there.

Right-handed. Doesn't affect where I part.

I like cheese!

CeliahAnn
January 23rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I have a really irritating little bald spot in the center of my hairline so I like to part my hair on the left side to cover this. It's from wearing my hair tightly back into a ponytail/plait all my school years.

Loviatar
January 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
1. Which side? - I part on the left side.

2. What is your reason for a side part? - My face looks slimmer with a side part than it does with a centre. I sometimes do a centre part but not often now.

3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? - That's where it falls naturally. Plus I have a double crown so I can't part on the right.

4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? - Most of the time I side part. If doing twin braids or ponies, I centre part. Sometimes I centre part for Gibson tucks. I like how old fashioned it looks. Sometimes I try not to have a part at all, as I really like that look. Then I aloe gel my bangs back, and brush my hair over my part, straight back.

5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? - I always centre part for self trimming. That way I know it is even.

6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? - No, I've bounced back and forth between left side and centre.

7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? - I wet my hair or dampen it with a mister, then comb my hair in the part 'area' straight back with a fine comb. Then I put my hand at the back of my head and sort of push my hair forward, holding it against my head. The part 'falls open' for want of a better expression. My old hairdresser used to do this to find my part, and it really works. Then I comb each side down correctly and make the bangs lie flat. I also know if the part is directly over my pupil it's pretty close to perfect. Centre parting wise I just work from my slight widow's peak, combing back and then making the part with a fine comb.

8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? - I'm a lefty. I've never thought about it, but it's possible.

rags
January 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM

1. Which side?

!. Deep left side part
2. Center part makes my round face look even rounder
3. I have quite a large cowlick there - my hair likes to part there anyways.
4. I actually don't "part" my hair - I towel it dry and the part is there - either center or left. If I want it let I just rake some of it over and it falls into a perfect ruler straight part all by itself!
5. I don't self trim, but the stylist does it center part. I prefer that.
6. No, when I was younger and thinner I always center parted my hair - so I have two "natural" parts -center and left. My hair will naturally fall into one or the other.
7. It determines it all by itself! (cowlick)
8. I am ambidexterous, but it wouldn't matter anyways - the hair is in control!

Pixna
January 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? - That's where it falls naturally. Plus I have a double crown so I can't part on the right.

At the risk of sounding perfectly stupid, what is a "double crown"?

Loviatar
January 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Pixna, not stupid at all. I didnt know til recently.

It's like cowlicks and it's a pain in the butt. I dont really know how to describe it to be honest. My hair grows in two directions at the crown and separates itself, is probably the best way for me to put it. If I part in the centre, my hair automatically also tries to part at my crown on the left. But if I part on the left, I have a slight section in the centre crown that tries to part, too. Weird!

Does that help?

Linda K
January 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM

1. Which side? Left side
2. What is your reason for a side part? Center part makes my nose look SOOOO much longer (it's a sore spot for me).
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? I can go either direction but I went this way to hide those (awful) white ones that started showing up (at 15!)
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? It parts itself. I comb straight back and shake a little and that's where it goes. I try hard to not have a straight part - helps hide the 'sunburned' scalp!
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? YUP! If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? YUP! Does that bother you? NOPE! It's what I wanted in the first place!
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? #1 and #2
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? My hair decides!
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Predominantly Right - no it doesn't matter.

As it get's more white on the top, I find I'm fussing a little more in trying to get hide the scalp! It sort of looks like I should be moving a little closer to the center - it's a bit darker in that area!

I wonder how many have their hair parted the same way as mom (!) or dad (!) ???? :D

viking_quest
January 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Just recently started parting my hair to the side again.

1. Which side? Left

2. What is your reason for a side part? It looks better than a center part, but my hair wants to naturally part there.

3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? I get a big poof if I part it on the right side and then the hair on the other side of the part is really flat.

4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? No, I just started parting there recently. I part it there when my hair is up in a pony or my layers look really good. I part it in the middle when some of my waves and curls are still there after combing.

5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I don't trim, but with my layers, one side is shorter than the other but it doesn't really bother me because they're still short.

6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? No. It was middle for years, and then side, and then middle, and now I mix it up.

7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? I normally let my piecey wet hair clump together and if I find a nice clump far enough to the left then I put my comb through there and it's parted.

8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Right-handed and it doesn't affect it at all.

Pixna
January 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Pixna, not stupid at all. I didnt know til recently.

It's like cowlicks and it's a pain in the butt. I dont really know how to describe it to be honest. My hair grows in two directions at the crown and separates itself, is probably the best way for me to put it. If I part in the centre, my hair automatically also tries to part at my crown on the left. But if I part on the left, I have a slight section in the centre crown that tries to part, too. Weird!

Does that help?

Yep, that helps (and it sure sounds challenging! Thank you, Loviatar!

suicides_eve
January 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
1. Which side? left
2. What is your reason for a side part? hides eyebrow scar on right side
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side?lol see above
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not?no some times i do the straight or a zig zag part
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you?no trim '09
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side?no just started doingit
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair?were arch of my eyebrow starts
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? i am right handed and no, i got hit by a base ball wering glass and have a hugh scar on my face

CaraLynn
January 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
1. Which side? My right
2. What is your reason for a side part? My mom always parted it on that side
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? See above
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? I very rarely wear my hair down..but when I do yes it's usually parted there, or an off-center part that leans toward the right, which is wear my hair parts naturally
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I don't trim any more, but when I did she always parted it on that side and it was fine.
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? Yes
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair? See below
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Right-handed, and no. I have a very wonky nose and it looks best with my hair parted there.

CrystalStar
January 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
1. Which side? To the left :)
2. What is your reason for a side part? I have a ripped out part of hair at the front, and it's growing back as a tuft of fine baby hair which I'm covering :p
3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? Other than being ripped out, the dreaded tuft lol
4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? If I'm not going out I often go for a middle part, but if I am always to the left
5. If you trim, do you part your hair down the center during trimming so your hair is even all around? If so, do you find that when you part your hair on the side, the hair on the opposite side of your part is somewhat shorter? Does that bother you? I've never trimmed my own hair but gonan start S+D soon and it doesn't matter with that :p
6. Have you always parted your hair on the side, and on the same side? Nope had a middle parting until about September/October
7. How do determine exactly where to part your hair?What feels right/looks right
8. Are you right-handed or left-handed, and does that affect where you part your hair? Right handed, and definitly for me!! :p

Flaxen
January 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM

1. Which side?

1. Left side.
2. A center part is just scary on me.
3. Ask my hair. That's where it parts. :p
4. Yes, pretty much. Sometimes maybe a tiny bit lower.
5. I trim with my normal part. That's the way I wear it, so that's the way I trim it. It might be noticeable on thicker hair or with a really lower part, but I don't notice a length difference.
6. Yes.
7. I comb my hair towards the crown, and it forms a part.
8. Right-handed, and I have no idea! :bigeyes:

Forever_Sophie
January 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
1. Which side? Right for years, left in the past month.

2. What is your reason for a side part? I think I look better with it that way...

3. What is your reason for choosing that particular side? I read, years ago, that parting on the right is better for your hair (don't ask :p ). Now, left b/c I read here about potential for thinning when repeatedly parting in the same area.

4. Do you always part your hair in the same place? Why or why not? Yes, out of habit. Might mix it up now and then b.c of potential for thinning where I part.

My stylist parts in on the side before trimming, and I never really noticed about the shorter side. I've thought of it, and in theory I'd part in the center just to be sure, but...she does it her way and it works.

All through HS, on the left. When I read about the right, I did that religiously. This month, left again.

Not too far to the side. More off-center...and I do have a number of natural parts.

I'm right handed, and parting on the left seemed natural at first...I'd run my hand through it and it would fall that way.

Speckla
January 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I used to have a left sided part but it's shifted to a middle part since I started wearing my bangs twisted back and secured with a bobbypin down (up?) the center of my scalp.
________
Honda VF and VFR (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_VF_and_VFR)