PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

auriphrygia
January 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I've posted here a while ago, bemoaning the loss of my long hair! It's grown a little now, but I feel that I should, maybe, do something to keep it healthy. I wash my hair every 5-6 days (using drugstore shampoo and conditioner) and it is soft and healthy! Does anyone have any ideas on how I could keep it that way? I know that there are tons of recipes and advice on the forum, but I feel so overwhelmed by it all!

sandigirl
January 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I've posted here a while ago, bemoaning the loss of my long hair! It's grown a little now, but I feel that I should, maybe, do something to keep it healthy. I wash my hair every 5-6 days (using drugstore shampoo and conditioner) and it is soft and healthy! Does anyone have any ideas on how I could keep it that way? I know that there are tons of recipes and advice on the forum, but I feel so overwhelmed by it all!
Hi. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like your hair is doing just fine. I brush more than most, wash/rinse immediately after chlorine exposure, don't use anything but shampoo and conditioner, seldom blowdry, and am very good to my hair. If you start having any specific problems you can just ask and the wise women here will advise you. Good luck with growing it back out.

JamieLeigh
January 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM
It sounds like you have something that works well for you! :D It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but remember that there is no one recipe, or one set of advice that works well for everyone. Every person has a different hair type, and it's really just a matter of trial-and-error...if you try something, and it doesn't work for you, try something else! It can take a long time to settle into a hair care routine; I've got nearly thigh-length hair, and I'm still adjusting my routine. LOL :p

That said, welcome to the boards, and don't be afraid to ask questions!! Everyone here is friendly and awesome!

suicides_eve
January 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
i would suggest starting on a one a day vitamin if not already on something - it helps with growth. Also cutting back on soda and caffeine will help as well- substitute water.

clarify once a month or 2 - it helps remove build up don't do it often though not good for your hair follow that with a heavy conditioning

Welcome! hope you can find all you need here, everyone is will to help

phantastica
January 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Does finger-combing work for you? I've found that I can do that a few times before I get frustrated and eventually break out the brush. I'd like to finger-comb only, but I'm not quite that patient yet.

If it's cold where you're at, I'd suggest keeping it wrapped up or tucked into your coat when you go outside, too.

I'm actually new here, so I really probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm sharing some of the things that I've picked up along the way.

Welcome/welcome back! :)

Anje
January 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hello and welcome.

A good place to start is the articles section (links on the top of the page). Start with Ursula's standard newbie advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) and go from there. Don't be afraid to use the search function or ask questions.

dearladydisdain
January 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I say if you are happy with your routine then stick with it! Everyone has different techniques that work for them. Don't worry about what other people are doing as long as your hair likes what you are doing! :)

SimplyLonghair
January 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Welcome and I agree that the article by Ursula is great advise for all newbies and great advise for those of us who have been here for some time, but sometimes forget to stick to the basics since that is what got us to where we are and the better hair that we all desire.

LadyEliza
January 21st, 2009, 01:02 AM
I suggest you take a few weeks and read every single post on the forum!

That'll work

;)

embee
January 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Sure thing, reading all the posts will keep anybody busy, probably for the rest of time! ;) No chance to change any routine, no chance to eat, sleep, work,.....

If you like how your hair is, keep on as you are. Learn new updo styles and things like that.

I learned that if I diluted the shampoo sufficiently it would clean my hair without stripping every bit of natural oils off, and I didn't need conditioner. That has been a pleasure.

I also learned how to wash my hair without tangling it all up - we're always shown people piling all their hair on top of the head and then scrub scrub scrub. That's not necessary!

And I learned how to dry my hair without excess tangles by limiting the rub-rub-rub thing.

So there's lots you can try without really *changing* your routine.

MemSahib
January 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Actually after you've been here a while you will realize that many of us practice what we term "benign neglect". All that means is that our routines are quite simple and our hair seems to flourish with that minimum of handling. Sometimes the more you try, the more stressed your hair becomes with all the new treatments. It can be fun to experiment, but really, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!