PDA

View Full Version : Oily Scalp Thread

VLoving
January 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Oily scalp…I know I’m not the only one that has one & I know I’m not the only one that is struggling to satisfy the needs of my scalp while juggling the needs for my length. For me the two are polar opposites. What my scalp likes…my length doesn’t. What my length likes…my scalp doesn’t. CAN’T THE TWO JUST GET ALONG??? :slap:There are so many treatments, recipes and threads for dealing with under moisturized and damaged hair but I am still at a loss for how to deal with an oily scalp.

I was wondering if my fellow oily-scalpers could weigh in here. Feel free to offer up any other advice, comments or questions. I think connecting with some other daily washers would do some good for myself and others.

What method/methods of washing work?
Which ones don’t?
How frequently do you wash?
What products work with your oily scalp?
What ones DON’T?
Do you oil?
If you do, which ones do you use?
If not, why?
Have you been successful at stretching out washings?
If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in)
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC?
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production?
Any else that minimizes it?
Comments:

Thank you all ahead of time. Any and all feed back will be greatly appreciated!:blossom:
Vanessa

VLoving
January 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
What method/methods of washing work? CWC or WC
Which ones don’t? Washing with a Clarifying shampoo ONLY, no conditioner, 7x week. :agape:Insert gasps of horror if you would like. I finally learned that it isn’t healthy to let my length turn into a brillo pad just so I could have a “squeaky clean” scalp. My scalp doesn’t get along with conditioner(it breaks out) and have yet to find a reason to try CO only. I know that WO/SO would never fly at this time. I need to be able to go more than two days without a wash before I can commit.
How frequently do you wash? 6-7 times a week
What products work with your oily scalp? Recently (2 months ago) I have switched to the Giovanni line. I started out with the Tea Tree Triple Treat line and found that it was great at cleaning my scalp with out stripping it or the length. I have also had great success with the 50:50 Balanced Shampoo. This is the first time in my life that I have been able to use a “moisturizing” shampoo without the itchies or oiliness. I am really curious about Shampoo bars, I wonder if my scalp will re-act the same. Has any one had success with them?
What ones DON’T? Clarifying shampoos and shampoos for “oily hair”. There were times I would HAVE to wash twice a day. One day I had a revelation and I finally made a distinction that my HAIR isn’t oily it’s my SCALP. That has made a world of difference for my length. I am trying to choose products that will clean my scalp but not strip it or leave residue behind.
Do you oil? Yes
If you do, which ones do you use? I have the most success with Grape seed oil. I can put 3 to 4 times the amount with out it getting stringy. My hair drinks it up. I can use Jojoba and Coconut with success for a deep treatment.
If not, why?
Have you been successful at stretching out washings? No…I cannot even go every other day. The only time I can go with out is on my day off…if I do not leave the house.
If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) Still trying to figure out. At this point I don’t know if I have the will power to deal with an oily itchy scalp, even for a day. The problem only escalates because I cannot keep my fingers out of my hair.
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? Yes it has…I no longer have waist length tangles because of it. My scalp doesn’t like to be stripped on a day to day basis. Weird.:rolleyes:
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? I have found that if I put my hair up in any style while wet it accelerates it. I have recently started taking showers at night so that my hair will dry while I will sleep. On the plus sides its helped to deal with drying time that normally takes any where from 3 hours to a full day.
Any else that minimizes it? The less I mess with my hair the better off I am.For me the key is to have dry and secure styles. If I wear something that I need to constantly readjust… it just makes matters worse. Keeping my hands off my scalp and out of my hair is one of the most difficult things I need to learn.
Comments: My BBB seems to be the worst thing for my scalp. My length loves it, but it looks like I put Vaseline on my roots…sexy huh?:shake:

-Vanessa

viking_quest
January 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Another oily scalp here.

What method/methods of washing work? I've only tried S&C and CWC. CWC worked much better, but I want to try soapnuts.
Which ones don’t? CO made it worse
How frequently do you wash? Once every 3 days (wash on third day), but I'm hoping for 2x a week
What products work with your oily scalp? I don't use products, but for washing products I can use pretty much anything as long as I follow with conditioner
What ones DON’T? Nothing that I've tried hasn't worked.
Do you oil? No
If not, why? I'm too lazy to do it
Have you been successful at stretching out washings? I've been okay, it looks bad the 2nd day after washing but I've stopped caring about it.
If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) I started in summer because I didn't have school and it worked really well until my parents wouldn't let me leave the house unless I washed it everyday, so then I tricked them by w/o on the days I wouldn't wash until I stopped blow-drying my hair and by then my hair was used to it I could extend my washing even further.
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? No, it changed before LHC. It changed when I joined the long hair community on livejournal.
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? No, only when I touch it does it become worse.
Any else that minimizes it? Not that I've found.

Darkhorse1
January 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Welcome to my current dilema as of now!! My hair is a grease bucket!! I have a theory that, in my case, hormones have a LOT to do with it.

What method/methods of washing work? wash and condition.

Which ones don’t? CWC, CO, nothing

How frequently do you wash? Every other day, but lately, it's pretty grim on the second day

What products work with your oily scalp? Any clear shampoo works, but I'm finding certain products, like Pantene clarifying, lasts longer. Neutrogena is nice, but didn't last a day! My hair was greasy within a day. Sorry, my scalp.

What ones DON’T? If it's a creamy shampoo in color/consistancy, it will NOT work. Makes my hair like goo. Two in ones especially are horrid for me.

Do you oil? Yes, ends only. I oil, then clarify shampoo

If you do, which ones do you use? olive oil

If not, why?

Have you been successful at stretching out washings? Yes, but not lately

If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) Diet. If I eat less oily foods, I find my scalp doesn't get as oily. I also notice in the summer when it's hotter and dryer, I don't need to wash as much unless I'm riding a lot and sweating. Then I have to wash it.

Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? No. Clean to me has to squeak, or it's not clean--for my hair. But, just my SCALP, not the length.

Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? Not styles, but if I don't wear a hat at the barn, the arena dirt makes it greasier than if I wear a hat.

Any else that minimizes it? Lately, washing at night time works better than the morning. This is a first for me, as most of the time, washing at night made for a gross, greasy scalp in the morning. I am older, and going through some peri-menopause symptoms, so I think that might have something to do with my oily scalp ;)

Comments:

Darkhorse1
January 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
There's a long hair community on livejournal?? Where????

I too find if I touch/play with my hair/many styles, it gets greasier.

OhioLisa
January 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM
What method/methods of washing work? WC. CWC doesn't really make a difference to me, so why do it? :shrug:

Which ones don’t? CO works for a while, then causes my hair to feel stringy and weighed down. I have no desire to try such things as SO or WO. :shudder:

How frequently do you wash? Every other day.

What products work with your oily scalp? Salty Dawg or Dairy Whip, followed by Cure Care condish, currently.

What ones DON’T? Stuff with sulfates or cones.

Do you oil? Yes, every day on the ends when putting into daily updo.

If you do, which ones do you use? Coconut

If not, why?

Have you been successful at stretching out washings? Yes, I went from every day to every other day. Attempts at stretching further weren't very successful. Hair and scalp are happy this way.

If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) Dealing with the greasies on the days between, until my scalp adjusted. Using less harsh poos (no sulfates) really eased the transition.

Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? Not really.

Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? No.

Any else that minimizes it? Keeping my hands out of it.

Comments: The most important things I have found are:

Keep my hands out of my hair. It only makes my hair look oilier much faster.
Use less harsh washing methods. Sulfates dry out my scalp, thus increasing oil production to overcompensate.
Conditioners with cones not only make my hair limp, but also make my roots look oily MUCH faster.
Condition mostly from the ears down, but then lightly run my fingers through the scalp hair as well. It eliminates tangles after washing, and as long as I rinse well, it really doesn't pose a problem with increased greasies.

physicschick
January 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
My scalp isn't super oily, but it itches like crazy when it gets too oily, so I notice even a little bit.

CWC (condition-wash-condition) with a gentle sulfate shampoo works for me. I alternate washing with Tresemme Antibreakage (which contains sodium laureth sulfate) and Head&Shoulders (for a probable fungal problem). It's very important that I get my scalp thoroughly clean when I wash, so I do lather-rinse-repeat.

Which ones don’t?
CO or anything that involves putting conditioner on my scalp is bad for me. Shampoo bars were ghastly (for both my scalp and length).

Nowadays, every 3 days.

Do you oil?
Nope! It would be a disaster. [ETA: I meant that I don't oil my scalp. I oil the length regularly, but I make sure not to get it on my scalp.]

Sort of. I always washed every 2 days and couldn't stretch it further, but in my late 20s, my oil production dropped. Then it was easy to do every 3 days. My advice is not to push it if it's making you miserable. I'd rather have split ends than an itchy scalp.

Slicked back in a tight bun can sometimes be bad. The greasiness shows more, and I sometimes think that the tightness stimulates oil production. A braid is better because the hair isn't pulled as tight.

Good luck!

Jostar
January 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM
What method/methods of washing work? I wash the scalp and CO the length only but its not perfect
Which ones don’t? CO is a greasy disaster
How frequently do you wash? every other day, i do try to stretch it longer though
What products work with your oily scalp? I like SLS free shampoo bars and rich sls free conditioners for the end
What ones DON’T? - for me, green people's shampoo was terrible, just didn't shift the grease. Anything too rich or strongly perfumed I find irritating
Do you oil? yes, ends only
If you do, which ones do you use? olive oil works well for me, the better quality the better the results
If not, why?
Have you been successful at stretching out washings? I used to wash every day, now i manage every other day however by the end of day 2 my hair is really oily
If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) I just stopped washing it every day. Sometimes I stretch washing it even further by doing a scalp only wash - especially if i am camping or at a festival.
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? I stop worrying a bit if it looks oily, some styles work better with a bit of oil on them! (braids and plaits)
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? not particularly, the more i fiddle with it, the oiler it gets
Any else that minimizes it? not really, I think you just have to learn to live with it
Comments: Its really hard to balance the dry ends and the oily scalp. i often resort to trimming the ends because I know that if I do something to help them, I end up angering the oil and it gets worse. Its very difficult and frustrating, I want lovely hair.:(

This is a great thread, I am looking forward to picking up a few tips to help

sandigirl
January 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I don't see your age. I know that young women and (pre/peri/actual/post) menopausal women
can have scalp oil issues. I can't offer anything else than what the others said. Good luck with
whatever you try.

MsBubbles
January 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
What method/methods of washing work? C-W-C, and more recently even to minimize splits, I've been doing shampoo-catnip soak-condition. But C-W-C rescued my ends in my early days of LHC.

How frequently do you wash? Every other day. Occasionally stretch out to the 3rd day if house-bound but it takes me another wash cycle to get it clean and non-flaky again.

What products work with your oily scalp? Most regular soapy shampoos (drugstore kind) for 'greasy hair' work great, but I switched to organic.

Do you oil? Yes. I figured out the right mixture and method of applying it for me: about a teaspoon of camellia oil with 3 tblspoons water in a tiny mist bottle, sprayed TWICE only onto my ends after washing my hair. I have to cover my scalp at the time so my whole head doesn't look permanently wet. I also occasionally slather on coconut oil for a prewash soak the night before washing, because I heard coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft (?).

If you do, which ones do you use? Camellia oil and coconut oil.

Have you been successful at stretching out washings? I guess so, but all that means is that I can stand the grease and itches. I have almost exactly 24 hours to minute of a 'clean' scalp after washing. When my 24 hours is up the oil seems to instantly pour out of my scalp on to my hair. It's weird.

If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? Nothing worked to 'train' my scalp (at least, not yet). I trained myself to stand an ugly day of greasy, flat hair.

Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? No! I just consider myself having one clean day and one dirty day for the sake of my ends and long-hair-growing journey.

Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? No. Nothing helps or makes it worse (other than getting too much oil on my hair).

Any else that minimizes it? I wish! I looked into the diet connection briefly but alas, was no more able to cut out suspect foods than I am for weightloss reasons :D.

Comments: I think I have given up hope that I will ever be able to stretch my washes longer than every other day, from a point of view of being even vaguely presentable in public!

Comments: I never tried stretching washes longer than the third day because I ended up with scalp pain, itching and what seemed like a large amount of shedding about 1 week after that. Also, my Dad has naturally oily hair and my Mum has SD, so I'm sure my chances of having those are high too. I'm 41 and have had the post 24 hour wash greasies since I was 13. Maybe it'll quit after menopause.

JamieLeigh
January 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
CO is working quite well for me! I see above that it's not working so well for other oily-scalp folks. I guess everyone is just different. :confused:
Which ones don’t?
Going so long without washing. I tried to cut down on the number of washings per week, but it soooo did not work out for me! LOL
Every other day. If I don't, I feel yucky! :(
Suave Naturals tropical coconut works well so far. I'll post otherwise if one day it completely changes course!
What ones DON’T?
Shampoo really didn't do so well for me, now that I'm looking at it from the other side of the table. I like the way my hair and scalp feel much better nowadays.
Do you oil?
Have not tried oil yet, but I will probably just use it on my length and try to take care not to get it on my scalp.
No! I tried it, and it just felt gross. :rolleyes:
Yes, and my hair has thanked me for it! I'm with the original poster...what works for the scalp does NOT work for the ends!

VLoving
January 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I just turned 23, my scalp has always reacted like this. I could deal with washing every day when I was above BSL but now that I am at waist it’s a hassle to have a head full of wet hair for over half of the day (when it is down, forget about it drying if it’s up).

OhioLisa- The thought of WO/SO gives me the heebie-jeebies.

MsBubbles- I completely understand the 24 hour dilemma and scalp pain that comes with not washing. I usually get it at the end of day 2.

Jostar- “This is a great thread, I am looking forward to picking up a few tips to help.” Exactly what I was thinking:D

It seems like poo bars are a toss up so far. A few weeks ago I ran across a post where someone’s daughter had success with Castille soap (Dr Bronners). I tried this once or twice but the tangles (at my scalp, which never happens) overshadowed any positive results. Has anyone else tried this?

Has anyone had any luck with dry shampoos? The only one that I know of is Bumble and Bumble, does any one know of any homemade recipes? I cannot justify spending that much money on B&B. I have tried scalp washes with little success. They usually end with me 1) choking on water or 2) a full head of wet hair, in which case is would have been easier to just wash like normal. I’m going to try and revisit them after my APL layers have grown out.

It’s comforting hearing from some other grease-balls that share the same frustrations.

-Vanessa

Darkhorse1
January 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hey Vanessa, Try washing hair in the sink or upside down in the tub. This is how I've washed for years, and I can get it the cleanest. I soak hair fully with water, but just lather the scalp to a section down where the hair would rest against the scalp. Then, I just run my hands down the length, rinse, repeat. Then, I put conditioner in the length, rinse. I also have found a cool water rinse very helpful. LEaves loads of shine, and seems to keep oil at a minimum. BUT, don't make it too cold, or it kicks in the oils.

AJoifulNoise
January 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
My routine:
Friday: Full-strength, sulphate shampoo and heavy conditioner.
Saturday: NW or WO
Sunday: CO
Monday:Gentle, sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner.
Tuesday: CO
Wednesday: CO
Thursday: CO
I worked for about a year to get this straight. And I still tweak it now and again. CO on it's own can work for up to 8 or 9 days. If I do it every day. But, by then my hair is starting to look a bit oily. So, I choose to shampoo twice a week. After a shampoo I can skip a wash.

Which ones don’t?
No wash, water only, and extended CO do not work for me. The oil breaks through and makes my hair stick to my head. If I go more than 48 hours between washes my scalp itches like someone's dropped a bucket of ants on it. I wind up scratching it bloody in my sleep.

Nearly everyday. At least 5 days a week, usually 6 days.

Shampoo works best. But conditioners do a good job for several days in a row. I use Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners, Organix conditioners, CV Shampoo bars, and Flower Moon Dairy Whip Soap.

What ones DON’T?
I haven't found anything that just doesn't work. But, I haven't tried everything.

Do you oil?
Yes.

Coconut oil, mostly. It's my miracle product. But, I don't let it anywhere near my scalp. Ears and down, only. Oil+Scalp=ITCHIES!

No, by day two I have itchies and that night I scratch my scalp bloody in my sleep. I tried for over a month and it never got any better. Never looked any better, either.

Yes and no. I'm much less judgemental about other people's washing methods. I understand that some people CAN'T wash daily. And some choose not to. But, I still prefer freshly washed hair every day.

When I wear a bandana and exercise I get really oily. But, if I'm wearing a bandana it means that I was already kinda oily to begin with.

Not really.

viking_quest
January 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
There's a long hair community on livejournal?? Where????

I too find if I touch/play with my hair/many styles, it gets greasier.

http://community.livejournal.com/longhair/ for regular long hairs and people who want to grow it out.

http://community.livejournal.com/the_niamh_elite/ for those with waist length or longer.

Jostar
January 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
See I think my hair is clean when it is washed. It doesn't look or feel greasy at all for the day I wash it and the morning of day two. After this the rapid oiling starts and it looks dreadful really fast. Today for example I went to pottery class thinking I would be ok and hmmm, i get home, look in the mirror and its an oil slick, it happens so fast. It happens no matter what time of year or whatever i have been eating. I guess i am just a bit greasy.

plainjanegirl
January 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I was so excited cause a couple months back I got into a good routine of washing twice a week, but recently it seems like my hair has been getting greasy/oily more. Will working in a greasy environment ( like a food place) cause your hair to be more oily? When my hair gets oily then it gets itchy.

Tap Dancer
January 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'm afraid my answers won't be very helpful as I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my oily scalp. :(

What method/methods of washing work? I either shampoo and condition or CO. Both seem to work about the same. If I shampoo, I try not to let the conditioner touch my scalp.
Which ones don’t? I refuse to try other methods, so I don't know.
How frequently do you wash? Usually every other day. Sometimes two days in a row if I need it.
What products work with your oily scalp? I don't know.
What ones DON’T? I don't know.
Do you oil? No.
If not, why? I don't like oils. Even a slight amount of any oil makes my hair nasty.
Have you been successful at stretching out washings? No. I have to wash. By day two, my scalp has a greasy odor. *gags*
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? No.
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? I don't think so, but I don't mess with my hair very much.

Tap Dancer
January 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
See I think my hair is clean when it is washed. It doesn't look or feel greasy at all for the day I wash it and the morning of day two. After this the rapid oiling starts and it looks dreadful really fast. Today for example I went to pottery class thinking I would be ok and hmmm, i get home, look in the mirror and its an oil slick, it happens so fast. It happens no matter what time of year or whatever i have been eating. I guess i am just a bit greasy.

Sometimes after only 24 hours, I start to notice the "greasy odor" if I happen to run my fingers through my hair. Even if my hair looks fine, I can smell it. (Sorry if that's TMI.) I definitely have to wash every other day at the longest stretch. The time of year and what I eat don't affect things for me, either.

healingsolitude
January 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
CO is working quite well for me! I see above that it's not working so well for other oily-scalp folks. I guess everyone is just different. :confused:

I think it could also have something to do with what type of conditioner the reviews are based on. Some have the tendency to weigh the hair down more and some of the users here don't respond well to conditioners that contain cones. It seems to be like shampoo in how you have to experiment a bit in order to find the one that is right for you. I'm glad you found yours!

What method/methods of washing work? no poo, shampoo only. I also just tried CWC for the first time with good results.
Which ones don’t? WO
How frequently do you wash? Every other day or every three days. I also have to wash the hair on top of my head on the days I don't do an all-over shampoo because my fine hair looks odd and all over the place if I don't.
What products work with your oily scalp? Dairy Whip from Flower Moon Soaps and Salty Dawg Shampoo from Gudonyatoo.
What ones DON’T? Shampoo bars cleaned my hair and left my scalp a bit of a mess. Sulfate shampoos clean my scalp and fry my hair.
Do you oil? No
If not, why? I can't imagine how that could be successful on my fine hair and oily scalp.
Have you been successful at stretching out washings? Only to every three days, which I don't even like to wait that long. I really like to keep my scalp as clean as possible in order to avoid issues with getting it clean later on.
If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) I've been able to stretch washes to three days by using the Dairy Whip. Sometimes I also do the first lather with the Dairy Whip and the second lather with the Salty Dawg. That method makes me feel like I could easily go beyond the three days.
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? Somewhat. I discovered that getting my scalp clean didn't mean I had to sacrifice my hair in the process. I still have some scalp issues, but nothing too bad. My hair is also much, much happier now.
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? I don't really style my hair. Styling to me is just putting my hair up in a simple ponytail.
Any else that minimizes it? I've found that my hair doesn't feel quite as messy or oily if I wear it back in a ponytail while I sleep.
Comments: It seems like it can take forever to find even one product that works well for oily scalps and/or hair. Just keep on searching and experimenting until you find "the one". This place has a ton of advice and suggestions. Hopefully even something on this thread can point someone in the right direction.

Darkhorse1
January 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I HATE grease odour! It grosses me out. My hair just gets oily really fast during certains times. I went back to using Herbal Essence Degunkify and wow, what a difference!! Love that shampoo :D

VLoving
January 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hey Vanessa, Try washing hair in the sink or upside down in the tub. This is how I've washed for years, and I can get it the cleanest. I soak hair fully with water, but just lather the scalp to a section down where the hair would rest against the scalp. Then, I just run my hands down the length, rinse, repeat. Then, I put conditioner in the length, rinse. I also have found a cool water rinse very helpful. LEaves loads of shine, and seems to keep oil at a minimum. BUT, don't make it too cold, or it kicks in the oils.

I used to sink wash when I was in middle/high school…but my hair was short enough then. I stopped using the tub when the drain started eating my hair.:-(

I never notice any odor...but I don’t think it gets a chance to develop. I had a funny thought at work today. Has anyone ever used facial oil-blotting papers on their scalp or hair lines? I don't know what inspired that idea…but the thought amused me for a little while. I think I would need a 12"x12" sheet...that little 2"x3" sheet would do me no good.

Darkhorse1
January 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I've used tissues before ;) Not oil blotting paper. I remember once, my hair was grossly greasy--I was in high school, so just to see, I pressed some paper against my scalp and when I removed it, it looked as if I'd left some piece of fried food on it. That's how oily my scalp got. It's better than that.

I know for me, 99% of my greasies was/is hormonal. I noticed a definate shift before my period. Sorry guys! hope that isn't too TMI ;)

Katze
January 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
I have to start by saying that my scalp has been oily for a long time, and I have also had a sensitive scalp with a tendency towards eczema or SD. Since coming to LHC, and especially since going back to sulfate shampoos, I feel like my scalp is not really oily any more, except in particular circumstances.

What method/methods of washing work? WO, CW, CWC, WC.

Which ones don’t? CO, no-poo.
How frequently do you wash? Every 4-8 days depending on what I want to do with my hair and how often I go swimming.
What products work with your oily scalp? Sulfates. Honey.
What ones DON’T? No conditioner on my scalp. 'Cones don't work.
Do you oil? Only very lightly, and only on the ends.
If you do, which ones do you use? Olive, castor, and wheat germ seem to work best.
If not, why?
Have you been successful at stretching out washings? Slowly as my hair gets longer I have to wash less. I think my scalp is in better balance, in part because I am eating better and trying not to touch it.
If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) Don't touch scalp! Wash when it really needs it - when it is itchy and crusty. Drink more water, and eat less sugar.
Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? Yes, because my hair has changed. It's gone from very poofy and dry (in part from bleach and heat damage) to smoother, if still frizzy. I have had to adjust to it looking darker after about day 3 after washing.
Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? No. But scalp massages or touching my scalp in any way, including brushing, makes it worse.
Any else that minimizes it? In my case it wasn't just oil, but also an irritated scalp. Honey soothes this, as do vinegar rinses.

I do feel overall that my scalp is happier with being washed more deeply (sulfates) but less often. Going ' no poo ' and especially CO made my scalp get a lot more buildup, and my hair looked dull and stringy more often.

However, I believe that in my case it was not just a question of 'oil' but of an imbalance in fungi or yeast or general skin happiness that had more to do with stress and bad diet. I do not necessarily believe in the 'overproduction of oil' theory or that you can train your scalp!

And sulfates are goooood, IMO. :D

pinkprincess
January 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I CWC with tgel shampoo for flakey scalp which I have, and conditioner/honey/jojoba mix which goes on my scalp a bit too

Which ones don’t?
I haven't tried anything else really but I have experimented with different things to add to my conditioner and the honey and jojoba aren't too oily on my scalp

Every other day:rolleyes:

Jojoba oil and TGel shampoo

What ones DON’T?
Coconut oil near my scalp is way too heavy

Do you oil?
Yes

Coconut and jojoba

Not even to three days but it's a combo of oily scalp and flaky scalp

Just wearing it down because I touch it too much then

Wearing it up and not touching it at all

mommy101405
January 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I have a very oily scalp. I really hate it and its one of the reasons I kept my hair short most of my life and am considering going a little shorter now. Even if I wash my hair at night by the next morning it starts looking greasy already.

What method/methods of washing work? Plain old W&C. I wash the scalp, condition the ends

Which ones don’t? CO was horrible. My hair was gross and my scalp itched like crazy

How frequently do you wash? every. single. day. Occasionally if I'm not going anywhere I might skip a day but that's not often.

What products work with your oily scalp? Most clear shampoos, head and shoulders, Giovanni Tea Tre shampoo

What ones DON’T? Moisturizing shampoos. Any conditioner that gets to my scalp.

Do you oil? Sometimes I mist the ends to help with fly aways and static.

If you do, which ones do you use? Jojoba right now. May try some others though

If not, why?

Have you been successful at stretching out washings? Not at all. I went a month of washing every other day and it was awful. My hair was gross and my scalp itched.

If you have, how did you “train” your scalp? (I know that there are very different views about this…don’t hesitate to weigh in) Have not found anything that works as of yet

Has your perception of “clean” changed since finding LHC? Yes, I can deal with some slight oiliness, more that I could previously but it still doesn't feel comfortable. I would love to wash my hair once a week. I don't wash my hair daily b/c I perceive it to be oily. I wash it because it IS oily.

Do certain styles aggravate your oil production? Wearing my hair down it worse. I don't think it produces more oil. It just works its way down the hair from being touched.

Any else that minimizes it? Nope. Wearing my hair up helps me not think about it but its not any less oily.

Comments:
I do use dry shampoos/ baby powder. They help it look a little more presentable if I really can't wash but I certainly wouldn't consider them a substitute for washing, at least not for me.