PDA

View Full Version : Does washing frequency affect growth?

Sammybunny711
January 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hey all! I was just wondering whether or not (in your experience) the amount of times you wash your hair per weeks affects your personal growth. I only had a half an inch of growth last month when I was playing around with washing frequency and a half an inch is REALLY REALLY low growth for me. I was just trying to see if maybe that had any affect on it. :smile:

HairColoredHair
January 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Nope.

Once a week, every other day... same growth. Averages .5 inches per month.

Kirin
January 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've found when i tried to cut down washing and went to CO washing as well, both of those cut down my hair growth by a lot, and increased shedding.

Copasetic
January 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I've never noticed a difference. My hair grows at the same rate when I wash it everyday as it does when I wash once a week. Sigh.

ChloeDharma
January 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I notice it seems to effect shedding more than the speed of growth for me. When i did wash my hair about every day it grew alot faster, but i was also not a smoker and alot younger too so those were probably the more significant factors.

RavennaNight
January 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Nope, I havent seen a change in growth, and I have stretched to 4-7 days at this point. And I'm one with obvious roots when they grow in. :D

tiny_teesha
January 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
When i used herbs i had to scrub my scalp more and i shed less and i could have grown more really...
When i put conditioner on my scalp or let it get oily i shed more.

Pegasus Marsters
January 20th, 2009, 02:21 AM
My theory is that massaging your scalp when you wash stimulates the growth. So technically daily scalp massages should have the same effect as daily washing.

Payal80
January 20th, 2009, 02:53 AM
It affects hairloss for me, my suggestion is if you have dandruff its better to wash it frequently.

Wouter
January 20th, 2009, 03:05 AM
massaging your scalp should in theory increase growth because of the increased blood flow.
Warm water or warm weather in general speeds up the process that creates the protein for hair and should (in theory) increase growth.

chotee
January 20th, 2009, 06:10 AM
washing frequency doesn't affect growth for me but washing frequently defenitely plays havoc with the quality of hair. My hair started getting more dryer as i got older and by washing less frequently i sure improved the quality and porousness.

sandigirl
January 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I haven't seen any difference whether it's every other day or once a week. I do know it's MUCH less damaging to wash less frequently and you pull out less hair (by not combing/brushing out after washing as much.)

Unofficial_Rose
January 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
My hair certainly used to seem to grow quicker when I washed it every day, although that was pre-LHC and I wasn't into measuring, so I can't back up my statement with any hard facts :o

suicides_eve
January 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM
no i never noticed a difference even when i was leaving my conditioner treatment on over night in a shower cap(Damp warm environment mimic summer weather)

only monistat has increased my growth of things i have tried

ChloeDharma
January 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
My theory is that massaging your scalp when you wash stimulates the growth. So technically daily scalp massages should have the same effect as daily washing.

Yes, i'd say that massage/scalp stimulation is likely to be a factor in it too. Although i've started thinking that at least for me, sebum seems to increase shedding, i'm also thinking that something else contributes to increased shedding, whether thats bacteria building, dht forming, general toxins excreted on the scalp.....these are ideas that have been presented in various articles on keeping the scalp clean as a preventative measure in hair loss, i don't know if any specific one has merit but i'm thinking there may be at least some truth in them.

JamieLeigh
January 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Well, this was what I was going to say. So yeah...what she said. LOL. ;)