PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dye their hair with something other than henna?

Fluffy01
January 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
What's gentle? I tried the Beautiful Collection from Sally's that has no ammonia and no peroxide. It also practically washes out time you get it in and left my hair kinda dry.

Is there anything that is semi-perm yet gentle?

Thank you!

dorothea-brooke
January 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
How timely.... I just dyed my hair with Clairol Natural Instincts. It's semi-permanent (lasts 12-24 shampoos, I think).

I recommend it. It's been nearly 3 weeks now, and I don't know what the heck is going on but my hair is behaving better than it has in months! Shiny, soft, static-free. Just weird. :shrug:

kelsoberry
January 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I want to second Clairol Natural Instincts. I used it years and years ago and it actually improved the condition of my hair.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll pick up a box the next time I need to touch up my roots.

Elphie
January 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I use Wella's color charm. It's a demi-permanent hair color you can get at Sally's.

Kitty
January 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I've dyed my hair with semi-permanent and permanent dye alot in the past and a little bit recently. I never really saw that much difference with any brands i used aside from maybe being a bit dry at the ends, but nothing that wasnt fixed by some deep conditioning and oiling. The only time i fried my hair was when i decided i didnt want black anymore and decided to bleach it out, not fun!!!! (this was 6 years ago).

I've recently been trying to get my hair a very dark chocolate brown, that always seem to turn out red. I bought a dark brown from Garnia Fructis brand and my hair went black again! EEEEP!! I bought colour fix and was amazed that it actually took the black out of my hair and left me with a dark brown i wanted! Did make my hair a bit dry, but that resolved itself over the next couple of weeks with more deep conditioning.

But considering I can never get the colour i want, i may just give up and live with my medium brown and the few greys i have.

dorothea-brooke
January 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I've dyed my hair with semi-permanent and permanent dye alot in the past and a little bit recently. I never really saw that much difference with any brands i used aside from maybe being a bit dry at the ends, but nothing that wasnt fixed by some deep conditioning and oiling. The only time i fried my hair was when i decided i didnt want black anymore and decided to bleach it out, not fun!!!! (this was 6 years ago).

I've recently been trying to get my hair a very dark chocolate brown, that always seem to turn out red. I bought a dark brown from Garnia Fructis brand and my hair went black again! EEEEP!! I bought colour fix and was amazed that it actually took the black out of my hair and left me with a dark brown i wanted! Did make my hair a bit dry, but that resolved itself over the next couple of weeks with more deep conditioning.

But considering I can never get the colour i want, i may just give up and live with my medium brown and the few greys i have.

I think dark brown with no red is very hard to achieve, particularly with a temporary dye. Have you thought about inquiring over at the herbal thread about natural options? There might be an herb that can give you brown without too much damage.

Good luck! :flower:

Kirin
January 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I've used natural instincts with pleasant results, however over time, the lighter shades do cause damage on length. Since its "temporary" there's no way to do a roots only and have it look decent.

Currently I am using "satin" professional hair color gotten from a beauty supply store, I really love it.

Fluffy01
January 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the great replies....I will look into Natural Instincts.

Also, Kirin, where do you get Satin haircolor? Sally's? Thanks!

sandigirl
January 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I get highlights at the salon. I know this is probably a big no-no here but I have this real thick, silky, shiny hair that can take it. I really do think genes have a lot to do with it. If this ever negatively affected my hair I would stop.

missy60
January 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have been using Wella Color Touch its a demi. I love it!

Kirin
January 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the great replies....I will look into Natural Instincts.

Also, Kirin, where do you get Satin haircolor? Sally's? Thanks!

I didn't get Satin at Sally's but another beauty supply in the mall called "Hair Plus Beauty Supply". Others may carry it as well. You can do an online search for "Satin Haircolor" for their main site, and put in your zip code and it should tell you locations you can find it. If there's none in your area, it is also sold online.

I do recommend and its working for me, oiling my hair with coconut oil an hour before doing the color process, I've experienced zero damage.

catapia
January 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I stopped dyeing about 2.5 years ago, after I had to bleach my hair because my brown dye went black. I am now almost all virgin hair....

Anyways, after the bleach episode, in order to calm down the mark between my natual color and the bleach I used Robert Craig (http://www.robertcraig.com) haircolor. This stuff is very gentle, but does fade a bit after a few months. Shipping takes about a week for it to get to me. No complaints here.

I am actually debating using their burgundy color...eek...but I am almost all virgin hair at the moment, so I am trying to behave..... haha, wish me luck :)

HildeMV
January 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
I used Casting Creme gloss and it doesn't go out, just a little bit. Nice color though. I colored in Dark blonde. I've used many other dyes as well, Preference, Excellence and Garnier nutrisse. All are good.

iris
January 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Check out the elumen (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594) thread here.