PDA

View Full Version : Blueing in Shampoo?

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have a bottle of Mrs. Stewart's Laundry Blueing in the house and used it sucessfully once a long time ago to add a touch of sparkle to my silvers. It occurred to me today to wonder if any of you have added it to a clear shampoo, a la the silvering shampoos you can buy commercially? Anyone done this? If you did, how much did you add?

Flaxen
January 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Dulci tried it some time ago, but I think she did a rinse. If she doesn't see this, shoot her a PM. :smile:

Carolyn
January 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I've added it to my HALO rinse mix. The HALO thread was on the old LHC boards if anyone is interested. I think I mix it in a quart bottle. Not sure how much bluing I use. A good dollop I'd guess. It mixes up a nice blue color. I think it helps a little. I'm using it to fight gold and red tones in my blonde hair. If you have some on hand, just try it and see what happens. It's not going to give you blue hair.

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I believe I used only a tiny bit in some water as a rinse the only other time I tried it. Can you estimate how much you use, Carolyn — other than a good dollop, I mean? Sounds like you have your dollop down to a science.

Flaxen
January 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Woot! Here's (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11348) the thread. :grin:

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Flaxen, my friend, you really ARE Genius Moderator! Thanks, hon! A bunch!

Off to re-read...

Flaxen
January 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
You are very welcome, and thank you! :flowers:

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I knew I didn't use much before but couldn't remember how much. Drops. Measure in a couple of drops. Got it. Thanks again!

Carolyn
January 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I believe I used only a tiny bit in some water as a rinse the only other time I tried it. Can you estimate how much you use, Carolyn — other than a good dollop, I mean? Sounds like you have your dollop down to a science.I mix up my HALO and then pour in the blueing. I'm guessing I might have used from 1/2t to 1t for a quart bottle of HALO. It might be more as I am a "more is more" girl. I go by color. By how blue it is. My hair does well with the blue S & C's so I'm not afraid of it being too blue. I should make up a bottle of HALO and pay attention to how much I use.

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I think I may shampoo tonight (which is a tad bit early on my "schedule") just so I can sparkle it up. If I emerge with blue hair, you will know I got too much!

Anje
January 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
It strikes me that it might be more effective in conditioner, if you use condish roots to ends. I'd be afraid that putting it in shampoo would cause a lot to just rinse out again, and you might need a lot more to deposit anything on your hair.

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I just used it as a rinse, Anje, right at the end. I ended up with about 1/8th tsp of blueing in a quart of water. We'll see...

Carolyn
January 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
This spurred me on to mixing up a new batch of HALO. I only had about 1/2 quart of distilled water. I used about 1/2t bluing in my mix. It's a bright blue but it looks to be about the same color as before. I think I need a lot of the blues to counteract the golds and reds that bug me so much. I remember starting out with a much lighter blue rinse and it did nothing for my hair.

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the information, Carolyn. I may end up using a bit stronger mix next time myself.

Teacherbear
January 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I've used the bluing mixed in with water for my final rinse. I didn't notice any real change to my grey/silver. Maybe I didn't use enough. I wish I could help more.

Linda K
January 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I have a bottle of Mrs. Stewart's Laundry Blueing in the house and used it sucessfully once a long time ago to add a touch of sparkle to my silvers. It occurred to me today to wonder if any of you have added it to a clear shampoo, a la the silvering shampoos you can buy commercially? Anyone done this? If you did, how much did you add?

May I ask what the bluing is made from? In my head laundry = HARSH! Washing hair with Tide to lighten it etc!
I have some blue 'poo - sort of gel consistency - didn't think it made much of a difference tho.:confused:

Flaxen
January 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
May I ask what the bluing is made from? In my head laundry = HARSH! Washing hair with Tide to lighten it etc!
I have some blue 'poo - sort of gel consistency - didn't think it made much of a difference tho.:confused:

According to their website, Mrs. Stewart's Blueing is, "basically a blue iron powder suspended in water and contains a non-toxic amount of a biocide and pH balancer. Even in it's concentrated form, MSB is non-toxic, biodegradable and environmentally friendly."

MemSahib
January 20th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Mrs. Stewart's says on the bottle that many people use it for brightening their hair. I think it does help some. Of course, my silvers are concentrated on the canopy anyway (where they show) but they seemed a bit brighter this morning.