PDA

View Full Version : S&D-Need help identifying split ends and breakage

Yedda
January 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Well, I'm looking do my first S&D and I'm sort of confused. I started going through my hair and looking at individual strands.
From my understanding, a split end is when the hair splits at the end and becomes two strands at the end.
When I looked at my hair, I couldn't find any split ends, but a lot of breakage.
So, the bottom inch of my hair looks unhealthy but I can't find many split ends, my hairs have just broken off.

Any recommendations on what I should do?

HairColoredHair
January 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
"split ends" actually have a lot of variation and forms, including white dots, right angles, crinkled ends, etc.

What does your hair look like?

Generally, if it appears damaged, I trim it off. :)

Yedda
January 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
"split ends" actually have a lot of variation and forms, including white dots, right angles, crinkled ends, etc.

What does your hair look like?

Generally, if it appears damaged, I trim it off. :)

Thanks, that what I was sort of wondering.

I'm not sure how to describe what it looks like. The bottom inch or so looks dull and tattered, for lack of a better way to put it.

I'm not seeing any white dots. The broken part just curves slightly at the end, I wouldn't really call it a crinkle.

My hair is still the length of my avatar so I'm trying to avoid going and getting it cut if I can. I'd rather just get rid of the "bad" hairs. This is hard!

HairColoredHair
January 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Have you clarified recently? Sometimes buildup or too much protein give me the 'ratty' look, despite the ends being mostly undamaged.

Yedda
January 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Have you clarified recently? Sometimes buildup or too much protein give me the 'ratty' look, despite the ends being mostly undamaged.

No, I haven't. I didn't think of that. I think I'll try that before I start cuttiing. Thanks for the tip!:D I do use cones but I haven't really figured out how they effect my hair yet.