PDA

View Full Version : Good hair accessories and bad?

jissy
January 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
What are you good for your hair and what are bad? Plastic,wood...?

I have a sally by me and walmart so wondering where I should try to get some things.

I have clips and metal barrettes but not sure they are good, meaning if they will cause damage to my hair.

Best brushes and combs as well? Boar bristle brush is what dh uses after he uses comb. THe comb is worn out so there are no rough edges.

Currently my hair is 1b, I have fine and course hairs on my head. More fine then course. Before they were bleached you werent able to see through them they were normal strands I guess you call it.
And my hair in a ponytail is 4 1/2 inches around. So from what it says it's thick which I never thought of my hair before. I just thought there was just a lot of it.

So how do I shorten this up? How do you say that I have fine and course hairs. My hair is straight but when I dont blow it dry it has a tiny wave to it, is that where the course hairs come from?

I dont blow dry hair often and dont wash it often either. Maybe blow it dry 5-10 times a year. Maybe.

Katze
January 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
What are you good for your hair and what are bad? Plastic,wood...?

I have a sally by me and walmart so wondering where I should try to get some things.

I have clips and metal barrettes but not sure they are good, meaning if they will cause damage to my hair.

Best brushes and combs as well? Boar bristle brush is what dh uses after he uses comb. THe comb is worn out so there are no rough edges.

Currently my hair is 1b, I have fine and course hairs on my head. More fine then course. Before they were bleached you werent able to see through them they were normal strands I guess you call it.
And my hair in a ponytail is 4 1/2 inches around. So from what it says it's thick which I never thought of my hair before. I just thought there was just a lot of it.

So how do I shorten this up? How do you say that I have fine and course hairs. My hair is straight but when I dont blow it dry it has a tiny wave to it, is that where the course hairs come from?

I dont blow dry hair often and dont wash it often either. Maybe blow it dry 5-10 times a year. Maybe.

Hair accessories - generally those that bend your hair (some barettes) have moving parts that can catch hairs in them (French style barettes) are bad. Elastics with metal are also bad, but non-metal elastics can also catch hairs, leading to tangles.

Good drug stores in the USA tend to have decent hair accessories (Goody brand, for example) but you need to know what to look for. Here in Germany, at least, good hair accessories are very hard to find.

Hair type - it sounds like your hair might be wavy - I thought mine had "a tiny wave" too after the years of bleaching, straightening (with a curling iron) and regular blowdrying. Now, I have spiral waves!

Brushes - BBB is good for smoothing hair, but for some of us (wavies) regular brushing causes frizz and poof. I use the BBB only on "dirty" hair, or before sleep. A comb should be seamless - no snags or seams where your hair can get damaged.

Wavier hair can be coarser, but doesn't have to be. It sounds like you need to find out your hair texture - is your hair indeed fine? Are the strands mostly invisible, and hard to feel between your fingers (F hair)? Or can you feel them when you roll a hair between your fingers (M hair)? If they are truly coarse, they have a lot more substance to them than fine hair. Most of us do have a mixture of different hair types - mine is super fine on top, then M underneath. I do occasionally find a "C" hair that looks like a horsehair in comparison to the rest of my hair! But since I am mostly F, and F at the crown/where my hair meets the elements, I treat my hair as fine hair.

I don't think whether hair is bleached or not affects them being see through - though my crown hair is now its natural color, the individual hairs are still very fine and mostly invisible. But my natural hair is also relatively light in color.

hth!

HairColoredHair
January 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
What are you good for your hair and what are bad? Plastic,wood...? I prefer wood and metal. This is mainly because my hair is relatively thick and there's a lot of it, so it tends to snap the more delicate plastic toys.

I have a sally by me and walmart so wondering where I should try to get some things. I actually got some decent basic hairsticks from Claires/Icing I rarely use clips, I find they tend to have rough edges or slide out of my hair.

Check them for rough edges and try not to wear them in the same place all the time, which could cause damage.

Best brushes and combs as well? Boar bristle brush is what dh uses after he uses comb. THe comb is worn out so there are no rough edges. I like my horn comb as it doesn't cause static and I no longer use a brush, but the best brushes and comb tend to have no seams/smooth construction... I find the brushes with the balls on the ends tear at my hair.

You mostly straight, mostly fine hair, I suppose... I think most people have a couple coarse hairs on their head... I know I do and my hair has no wave to it at all!

jissy
January 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Wow great info. The more I put a stand here and there through my hair the more I dont feel them. I never thought i had fine thick hair. again wow.

Thanks for tips on the accessories.