PDA

View Full Version : Good places to donate hair ???

blondecat
January 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
OK a person on the net has asked me [Cause I posted LOL was ??] where was a better place she can donate 20 inches of hair.

She is in the USA [I am Not, I am in Oz]

So, Kind people,where could someone that wants to donate to a good cause, do so in the USA ???

Lamb
January 19th, 2009, 03:44 AM
She can always sell it and donate the money. (Far more useful and simple than donating hair, imo.)

blondecat
January 19th, 2009, 03:46 AM
She is getting a haircut regardless.

Where would she sell her hair, who to ??

Lunaria Vex
January 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I'm always being told to donate my hair to Locks of love (http://www.locksoflove.org/) if I ever cut it. They apparently use it to make wigs for children who have gone through chemo and lost their hair. It'd probably be a good place to start if she'd rather donate than get money for it.

LadyEliza
January 19th, 2009, 04:34 AM
No where really - I looked into it when I cut my hair. Unless it's totally virgin hair, never treated with colour or perm, they don't want it. And even if they do, they pay a very low price.

LadyEliza
January 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I'm always being told to donate my hair to Locks of love (http://www.locksoflove.org/) if I ever cut it. They apparently use it to make wigs for children who have gone through chemo and lost their hair. It'd probably be a good place to start if she'd rather donate than get money for it.

I'm really surprised after all this time that LOL would still be mentioned. It's been about 7 years since I was on a long hair forum, and we knew then that they were a rip off. Most children are given synthetic hair wigs because they are easier to look after. There was a lot more about them - maybe a websearch for "locks of love" + fraud would turn something up

blondecat
January 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Actually trying to 'Avoid' Locks of Love.

jojo
January 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
No dont go with LOL there a con, doesnt pantene do something?

florenonite
January 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM
No dont go with LOL there a con, doesnt pantene do something?

Yeah, I was going to suggest Pantene's Beautiful Lengths (http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/index_home.jsp).

Here's (http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/requirements.jsp) the list of requirements for hair.

Lunaria Vex
January 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
HA! Good to know. I've never actually looked them up, I just know I seem to hear about them almost once a week from every new person I meet. The concept of someone with long hair actually wanting to keep it on their head seems to be just crazy around here.

blondecat
January 19th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I was going to suggest Pantene's Beautiful Lengths (http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/index_home.jsp).

Here's (http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/requirements.jsp) the list of requirements for hair.

Thank You I have passed this on.

Periwinkle
January 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I agree with selling it somewhere and then donating the money to charity. Ebay would be one place to sell it - I've found others before with a couple of minutes of googling, but I'm not going to post links here for fear of the evil mods :)

freznow
January 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Pantene seems to have the most worthwhile program. If she can find a [local] wig maker to sell to, that'd be the best option, but that's not always possible (online sites can sometimes be a little creepy, but that's an option too).

Xandergrammy
January 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
HA! Good to know. I've never actually looked them up, I just know I seem to hear about them almost once a week from every new person I meet. The concept of someone with long hair actually wanting to keep it on their head seems to be just crazy around here.

I used to get it at work all the time until people finally realized that I wasn't cutting.

Ursula
January 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
If her hair is processed in any way so that it won't meet the requirements of the wig-makers, she might try this program: http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html, which takes hair to make mats to clean up oil spills.

Teacherbear
January 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I agree with selling it somewhere and then donating the money to charity. Ebay would be one place to sell it - I've found others before with a couple of minutes of googling, but I'm not going to post links here for fear of the evil mods :)
I'm sure this comment was made in jest. I just wanted to poke my head in and remind everyone that there are reasons for the rules and reasons we do things. If you ever have a question about rules or reasons, we welcome your correspondence.

Linda K
January 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
:eyebrows: This is weird! It was because someone talked to me about why I quit coloring my hair that I first heard about LOL and renewed my interest in growing it out! I was told they really have a shortage of gray hair. Then I see LOL sells gray to supply the kids! It was my understanding you donated so I'm confused about the rip off part.

CherrySilver
January 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yes, eBay is defintely one place where you can definitely raise more money for your hair than by donating it. Or, if you google "long hair" + purchase, you'll find a website (at the top of the search results) where you can market it yourself.

Best of luck whatever you do!

Gumball
January 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
:eyebrows: This is weird! It was because someone talked to me about why I quit coloring my hair that I first heard about LOL and renewed my interest in growing it out! I was told they really have a shortage of gray hair. Then I see LOL sells gray to supply the kids! It was my understanding you donated so I'm confused about the rip off part.

For some extra info if you do an search for LOL on here or an advanced search for titles only. You can pull up some prior threads where that particular company has been discussed. :)

Ursula
January 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Please note that if she does sell the hair (via e-bay or another site) she should be careful. There are people out there who have a f*tish about hair, and buy it for... um... personal use.

Which is not a problem on its own, but you want to be careful about things like contact information and return addresses, for the sake of personal privacy and safety.

pariate
January 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
When I read the OP I thought "Locks of Love"... then read the other posts! :o I'm glad there are more reputable options.

pariate
January 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Please note that if she does sell the hair (via e-bay or another site) she should be careful. There are people out there who have a f*tish about hair, and buy it for... um... personal use.

Which is not a problem on its own, but you want to be careful about things like contact information and return addresses, for the sake of personal privacy and safety.

Good idea to highlight that. Isn't it awful that we have to consider things like that? *sigh*

Linda K
January 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM

:oops: :puke: TMI! Oh my ...

GUMBALL: Thanks for the info as well! :)

jojo
January 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
are there really pervert who do *that* with hair??? how creepy eeek!

Flaxen
January 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
...I'm confused about the rip off part.
This thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70043) is a good place to start reading. :)

Teacherbear
January 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM
are there really pervert who do *that* with hair??? how creepy eeek!
This response is not just to you, Jojo, even though I quoted you. I know there are a number of people who are/were as surprised as you are at the concept of hair fets.

Yes. Innocent enjoyment of hair is the reason many of LHC's members post/read here. There are people who stop by LHC, some as members and others as lurkers, who have alterior (read sexual) motives regarding the photos and postings.

This is one reason we (the Moderation Team) have the rules, guidelines, and expectations we have regarding posting and membership.

blondecat
January 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM
This response is not just to you, Jojo, even though I quoted you. I know there are a number of people who are/were as surprised as you are at the concept of hair fets.

Yes. Innocent enjoyment of hair is the reason many of LHC's members post/read here. There are people who stop by LHC, some as members and others as lurkers, who have alterior (read sexual) motives regarding the photos and postings.

This is one reason we (the Moderation Team) have the rules, guidelines, and expectations we have regarding posting and membership.

Which is why I asked here for responces, rather than ?

I knew I would get the best info and advise for internet friend.

Many Thanks everyone. I have passed the info on.

Carolyn
January 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Many Thanks everyone. I have passed the info on.I hope your research helped her. And I'm sure reading this thread might have helped some newer LHC members gain some insight into the hair donation question. Now it is up to her to decide what to do with her hair. Some people care where the hair goes and what happens to it, and some couldn't care at all.