PDA

View Full Version : What other updos can I do with my length?

karisaf
January 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hi! I'm new to this forum and my hair is somewhere between shoulder length and BSL and has some layers. I mainly do a regular bun, a french twist or a peacock (I think that is what it's called, a french twist with the ends up). What else can I do with my length of hair? I've browsed the instructional link but a lot of those seem to need much longer hair. I have some great new hairtoys on the way and I want to try out some new styles. Thanks!!

plainjanegirl
January 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Do you know how to do an english or french braid? Maybe even double braids , for a playful casual day.

frizzinator
January 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I second PlainJaneGirl's suggestion. When my hair was your length, I wore a french braid a lot.

karisaf
January 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It's been a while since I had french braided (especially on myself!) but I just did one. Not the best looking that's for sure, and since my hair has some layers there are little pieces sticking out of the braids...but it works and looks ok. Thanks for reminding me about french braids :)

Are there any other buns/twists that work with this length besides a regular bun (which I think is called a cinnabun?)?

rags
January 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
If you look in the articles section, there is an article called "easy hairstick style" by Solsara (think I got that right) that has a simple twist you can do with one stick. I had been doing a version of it already, but hers stays much better!

ETA: You can also do halfups, halfup buns, or a Gibson tuck. I can't do a Gibson tuck because my hair is too fine and thin, but I would think most could at your length.

sahiba
January 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You check out this site , I'm very fond of it . Especially their hair claw updo and French Loop. I think it'll look great on you :)

LadyEliza
January 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
When I do French Braids (and it sounds as if you and I are hair twins) I do it on days far removed from the last shampoo - I lightly oil first with coconut oil. Then I do the braid, and braid right to the end. I tie the end with a small hair safe band (no metal) and then I make a pocket under the braid up the back of my head.

I hold it in place with a flexi8 - but you could use another sort of hair comb or fork.

It is the most secure style I have, and it protects the ends, and the oil on it doesn't look icky, just shiney. :)

karisaf
January 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
If you look in the articles section, there is an article called "easy hairstick style" by Solsara (think I got that right) that has a simple twist you can do with one stick. I had been doing a version of it already, but hers stays much better!

ETA: You can also do halfups, halfup buns, or a Gibson tuck. I can't do a Gibson tuck because my hair is too fine and thin, but I would think most could at your length.

I've seen that before but I don't think my hairsticks are long enough....off to find a chopstick ;) I haven't heard of a Gibson tuck before...where can I find instructions or a video for that?

You check out this site , I'm very fond of it . Especially their hair claw updo and French Loop. I think it'll look great on you :)

Thanks, but I don't see a link?

When I do French Braids (and it sounds as if you and I are hair twins) I do it on days far removed from the last shampoo - I lightly oil first with coconut oil. Then I do the braid, and braid right to the end. I tie the end with a small hair safe band (no metal) and then I make a pocket under the braid up the back of my head.

I hold it in place with a flexi8 - but you could use another sort of hair comb or fork.

It is the most secure style I have, and it protects the ends, and the oil on it doesn't look icky, just shiney. :)

Ah, I hadn't thought of tucking the end up - sounds like that would work really well because then the end with all the pieces sticking out would be hidden!

Samikha
January 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Updos are a bit limited at your length, 'tis true. You haven't told us your thickness, so I'll just tell you the ones I remember I could do around BSL :) Your hair might be too short for some of these, but you'll just have to see. Every head of hair is different, and every pair of hands as well.

I'm assuming you have or will soon get a pair of hairsticks. All the links here can be found through the link in my signature, I'll just give you the names because I really can't be bothered to link them properly:o

Braid-over-braid updo (Phalaenopsis's)
Classic Dutch braids with bun (and also French and the rest)
Crown braid (takes some practice)
Five-strand braids (some practice here too, and nimble fingers)
Four-strand braids (same as above)
Heidi Braids
Lazy wrap bun (savi's)
Stardust style (Yvaine's pirate ship hairdo) (Isilya)

The cinnamon bun you already know. Also, the Dutch and herringbone braids are fun. The Orchid Wrap is pretty, but I think your hair is probably a bit short for it now. There are other updos, of course, but these should be about right for your length if your thickness is average. I'm sure I've forgotten some. There is also a link to a Gibson Tuck tutorial in there.

Just click on the links! A lot of them haven't instructions added yet, but the majority do. Quite a few are only possible with hair around waist or longer - you could do half-ups with them instead. Have fun! :flower:

karisaf
January 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, I am so excited! The Easy Hairstick Style rocks! I tried it this morning with a chopstick and and it was so easy - and so secure!! A bit harder to do with the shorter Mei Fa stick....so you just enabled me to order some of the longer single hairsticks I had been eyeing on Etsy (but hadn't bought because I didn't think a single hairstick could hold my hair! Woohoo!).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to browse through those when I have some time! :)

rags
January 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Karisaf, I'm so glad it worked for you! It was one of the first styles I tried when my hair got back long enough after my big chop. And now, I have evidently become the enabler I warn people about...:eyebrows:

karisaf
January 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Well I appreciate the enabling! ;) Karisa

Avalonna
January 19th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I had the same question as you did and started a similar thread -- check it out here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18754). I'm lovin' the lazy wrap bun!

karisaf
January 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I tried the Lazy Wrap Bun and either my hair is still a bit too short or I am doing it wrong...I think it's a bit too short.

Arctic
January 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Folded braid is nice and protective and very easy :)

sahiba
January 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=

Thanks, but I don't see a link?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry , I think In missed it printing in a hurry :o Here it goes :

http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/default.asp

karisaf
January 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Ah, thank you! Great pics on that site :)

squiggyflop
January 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
hello im squiggy and im queen of the bizarre hairdos..

you can do this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/softtwistersoverhead.jpg
it keeps the hair really well contained.. its just my soft twisters (kids spring shoelaces with ends cut off and melted)
you start like this and then pull them over your head and pin.. my website has a video showing how to put them in your hair.. they are more secure and less damaging then regular hairties for me
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/softtwistersgold.jpg

or if your feeling especially adventurous you could try this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/piggytails.jpg
its just pigtails with the hair not pulled all the way through (please ignore weird bangs).. then you take the extra hair and wrap it around the pony holder.. its a bold style but i always get loads of complements when i do it.. (oh i left my temple hair down in this one but its not necessary) actually the video on my website that shows the soft twisters shows how to do this one too