PDA

View Full Version : My first hair stick style!

Unicorn
January 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Ok, it's not quite a 'half up' and it can only just be called a mini bun if one use's a little imagination and a tolereant smile :). But I've finally used a hair stick for the first time and it stayed in all day with no problem! It was very comfortable to wear all day whereas the hair pins I usually use, leave my scalp feeling sore.

I basically took some hair from both sides at the temple and a little way down the side, bought it up to the crown, where I picked up a little hair form the crown (otherwise it would be too short) plaited the three strands for about three turns, then put the ends into a 'knot' type bun - I don't know if thats the right name... Using my smallest hair stick, a 4" (approx) WoodbyC stick, I secured the mini-bun. Easy and funtional!

I've even used the pic as my avater.

I started buying hairsticks about 18 months ago, to drool over whenever I got the urge to cut my hair and finally I can use them..... YEY!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2383&pictureid=29453

lora410
January 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Very nice and congrats on your milestone!!!!

Unicorn
January 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thank you Lora410, I've been bopping around I've been so delighted with it. It is a milestone I wasn't sure I'd reach as I was always one to reach for the scissors on a bad hair day.... No More!

AO

Avalonna
January 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Congratulations! I know just how you feel -- I just started using hairsticks this week! I have slippery hair and still can't understand how one stick could hold it firmly in place. It seems to defy the laws of physics. I'm glad someone besides me is so excited to be a first-time hairstick user! :D

Silver & Gold
January 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I like that look a lot.

Unicorn
January 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you Avalonna, its good to know I'm not the only only to get excited :-) It feels as if I waited forever!!!! You hair looks beautiful in that bun. Actually (just recognised the bun) it was your thread about the bun in your avatar, that inspired me to try my version, My hair isn't nearly long enough for the bun you have, but it got me working and I came up with a less sophisiticated but workable minibun.

With my hair in microlocks, it will always be too thick to replicate your bun for a full head, but I may eventually manage a halfup version. I'll definately be celebrating that milestone also.

Thank you Silver and Gold I'm tickled pink.

Unicorn

Beatnik Guy
January 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
That's quite a milestone; I'll move this to mane board. :wink:

spidermom
January 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hooray for you; nice style! I'm wearing two buns with matching hair sticks today.

sneakybea
January 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Looks great! Although I'm already quite long, I also use my pretty hair sticks to deter me from chopping it all off---I couldn't use them if I did!

Buggheart
January 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Congrats! I was so excited the first time I used a hair stick too. Although it was just a pencil. I was in the middle of a band concert and the lights on us were really hot so I twisted everything up and crammed my pencil in there and to my amazement it stayed. Welcome to the hair stick club! :)

Unicorn
January 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Thank you Beanik Guy,

Growing long hair in locks presents a whole other bunch of challenges. It has taken two and a half years to get my hair to the length it was before putting it into locks. The process means that for every inch of growth it shows about half an inch of additional length.

LHC has truely helped me to stay away from the scissors.

Thank you Spidermom, when mine gets longer still :) I may go for the two bun option as I assume I'll have too much bulk for a single bun.

Unicorn

paper
January 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thats wonderful! :cheese: They look great too!

spidermom
January 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thank you Spidermom, when mine gets longer still :) I may go for the two bun option as I assume I'll have too much bulk for a single bun.

Unicorn

I wouldn't be one bit surprised. My single buns are pretty bulky; yours would be double.

Anje
January 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Great half-up!

I do have to compliment you on the microlocks -- I love the texture and the apparent thickness they give you. It's absolutely gorgeous, even if it is slow-growing.

rags
January 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Congratulation! I love your hair; it looks so full and yet well behaved all at once. Welcome to the hairstick club! (oh, stay weeelll away from the enablers....:D)

Lara1
January 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Congratulations! It looks great!

Unicorn
January 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thank you Paper.

It hasn't quite mad it to a half up Anje, but it is a pretender to a half-up :D Thank you for the complments. I quite likethe length now, so it won't seem so difficult waiting for more length. Up until now it's kind of felt in-between. Long enough to get messy, but too short to tidy away easily, hence my delight!

Thank you Rags, it behaves if I get the right style, which has been a stuggle up until now. :cheese:

Too late I've been enable already :eyebrows:, looking forward to using my toys helped keep me on the no-scissors route!

Unicorn

Jessikinz
January 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM
That bun is so adorable, and I really like that hair stick!

Dez
January 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
i like it! It looks great! and I second that your mini locks look really good also.

Liluri
January 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Awesome hair and hairtoy :) Congratulations on the reaching a cool milestone.

sahiba
January 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Congrats :thumbsup: Its looking very pretty :)

DecafJane
January 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Congratulations! I do the same thing with sticks, and have been collecting them since starting growing, too. They are a great motivator for avoiding cuts. :)

Your little bun looks great, and I love the look of the stick in it. :D

Ryanne
January 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Congratulations! The bun looks pretty.

KnightsLady
January 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Congratulations! You're inspiring me to try a wooden hairstick instead of using pins. Is it really a lot of difference, pain wise? Pins to tend to hurt a bit after a while.

Proginoskes
January 19th, 2009, 02:00 AM
<snip>
I started buying hairsticks about 18 months ago, to drool over whenever I got the urge to cut my hair and finally I can use them..... YEY!
Congratulations, the pic looks lovely! And what a good idea to stay motivated. I might start doing that, too. Thanks for the idea. :)

jojo
January 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Thats really neat, I can't do any updos with sticks, wish I could as they always look great.

brok3nwings
January 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
oh your hair is so unique!! I love the colour i love the texture and that style. Really cool :)

Xandergrammy
January 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Wow!! What a beautiful hairstyle. I love your hair. :inlove:

Avalonna
January 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thank you Avalonna, its good to know I'm not the only only to get excited :-) It feels as if I waited forever!!!! You hair looks beautiful in that bun. Actually (just recognised the bun) it was your thread about the bun in your avatar, that inspired me to try my version, My hair isn't nearly long enough for the bun you have, but it got me working and I came up with a less sophisiticated but workable minibun.

Awesome! I'm so glad something I posted helped someone else. Forums are so great -- we can all learn from each other. I love your mini-locks!

Siggav
January 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM
That looks great! I've never seen microlocks before, is it basically tiny dreadlocks? Anyway it looks great and really seems to suit your hair.

I actually just started using hair sticks this week as well, I'd tried to use some years ago but it never quite worked. I'm having a ton of fun with them now and just want more. They can be so pretty in all the different patterns and materials etc.

SchnauzerMom
January 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Congratulations on reaching a milestone. Your hair looks very pretty that way.

BlackfootHair
January 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Congrats! I'm looking forward to when I can use hair sticks too! Have fun buying them! :D

Unicorn
January 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Thank you Lara1, I'm still chuffed with my new everyday-done-in-seconds style,

Thank you Jessikins and Ryanne, petite but quite neat!

Thank you on the micro locks Dez, it was quite a commitment to get it done initially.

The milestone has been some time coming Liluri, it has taken two years for it to start feeling 'settled'.

Sahiba, thank you for the compliment.

DecafJane and Proginoskes, it really works, I have all my toys put away in a couple of boxes. When I have a bad hair day or 3 and I desparatley want to reach for the scissors, I whip out the boxes. Because I don't see them very often, they all seem fresh to the eye. I try a few things out then (having established that my hair is still to short, but getting there :)) I put everthing away again, but I then feel pleased and optimistic about my hair rather than feeling tempted to chop it off! :cheese:

Definately worth a try KnightsLady, there were evenings when I cancelled arrangements because my scalp was too sore from the pins to be able to keep them in any longer! With the hairstick, I've forgotten that its there altogether on some days.

Hi Jojo, Avalonna's thread pointed me to this tutorial http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72 for a "Lazy wrap bun", you can see it in Avalonna'a avatar about 3 posts below your's on page 3. It may be what you're looking for.

Thank you Xandergrammy!

Hi Siggay, yes microlocks are basically tiny dreadlocks. I got them done after my last visit to a salon where the hairdresser "trimmed" my BSL hair to just about collar length! You can see from my raggedy hem that I don't trust them anymore, I'll keep my raggedy hem until its long enough for me to bring to the front and trim myself. That way at least I can manage to grow my hair to the length I wish. Though ignoring my raggedy hem has been difficult, at least I only really see it when I'm taking pics of my growth! :) Yes the hair toy route is rather addictive. My shopping is on hold as I can actually use/play with most of the ones I have now.

Thank you SchnauzerMon and BlackfootHair. You can probably tell that I'm delighted at reaching this milestone. Next stop a real lazy wrap bun.... a half up version at least. :)

Unicorn

biglesliep
January 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I just discovered hairsticks myself and I looooove them! Just bought a bunch off the swap board, and I am so tickled to be able to put my hair up with one! I know just how you feel!

biglesliep

kwaniesiam
January 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
With the microlocks it almost looks like a really intricate woven piece, just gorgeous! Congrats on the milestone, and I love your hair :D

Tressie
January 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hey that looks really good! The hair stick is just the right size for your half up! I remember the first time I wore my hair to church with two vintage chop sticks securing my inexpert eternity bun. I asked my DS if she could believe that the only thing holding my long hair was the sticks and she said "NO"! It was hard for me to believe too! A great feeling, isn't it?? Congratulations!!

Unicorn
January 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I'm still grinning each time I use a hairstick and it actually works Biglesliep! I think I'll be doing that for a while yet. :)

Thank you Kwaniesiam The microlocks are still a novelty for me, as is deciding to grow my hair. Maintaining the microlocks through the first 18 months to 2 years, does take patience. I know I wouldn't have got through this initial part had I not found LHC.

It does amaze me Tressie, that one stick holds my hair firmly all day and it's so comfortable. Yey to no more hair pins tugging my hair at the scalp or just rubbing one spot all day so its sore by the evening.

Unicorn

RavennaNight
January 24th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Very pretty! Hair sticks are lots of fun, once you get used to them. I still cant get them to hold everything.

WritingMum
July 27th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Very Pretty!

theskeletonkey
July 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Ooooh very pretty!

rhondalicious
July 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Oooh, beautiful style. I really like the idea of adding a piece from the crown of the head to secure the sides! I'm going to have to try that one on myself, sometime.

Sif
July 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I just ordered my first pair of hair sticks and I am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Hopefully I too will soon know your excitement.

JamieLeigh
July 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I love it! Congrats on being able to use sticks! :cheese:

LaurelSpring
July 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
That looks so great! The hairstick is awesome also.

ButterCup02
July 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Your hair looks awesome! Love the hair stick too :) Congrats!

concrescence
July 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Congrats! It looks great. And, I have also just started to be able to use hair sticks, so I know how you feel. :cheese: